World Battle Cup III

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

World Battle Cup III

Post by roope »

After a break of over two years, I think it's time for a new WORLD BATTLE CUP that will take place some time in the spring season.

Now, I'm looking for a co-host (to mostly help with selecting levels) and levels from the community of course. You can already start submitting levels to me via a private message on Lauta or Discord. Note that in World Battle Cups, well, battleish levels have often been the most popular ones; many people have expressed their frustrations about multirouted hard cup-style levels being too much for a 60 minute battle. That doesn't of course mean we wouldn't take that kind of levels into consideration!

One big question before the cup starts is when should the battles take place: should the battles be one per evening from Monday to Friday for two weeks OR every Saturday and Sunday for 4-5 weekends OR something else. I personally would prefer Monday to Friday for two weeks since then the battle cup wouldn't take too long and I'm pretty sure that will be what I'll go with unless there's a huge opposition against it. Also, in WBCII there was an event that took place in the night for the European Elma players so kuskis of the Americas could play; any opinions about that? For most people that was a necessary use of an event skip.

For those who aren't familiar with the concept;
- there are 10 events
- all events are 60 minute hidden battles (all normal battle mode... maybe?)
- 8 best results count
- levels from different designers
- designers are allowed to play

Points awarded in each event:

1st – 100 pts
2 – 85
3 – 75
4 – 70
5 – 65
6 – 60
7 – 56
8 – 52
9 – 49
10 – 46
11 – 44
12 – 42
13 – 40
14 – 38
15 – 36
16 – 35
17 – 34
18 – 33
19 – 32
20 – 31
21 – 30
22 – 29
23 – 28
24 – 27
25 – 26
26 – 25
27 – 24
28 – 23
29 – 22
30 – 21
31 – 20
32 – 19
33 – 18
34 – 17
35 – 16
36 – 15
37 – 14
38 – 13
39 – 12
40 – 11
41 – 10
42 – 9
43 – 8
44 – 7
45 – 6
46 – 5
47 – 4
48 – 3
49 – 2
50... – 1

World Battle Cup I
World Battle Cup II

GET STOKED!
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: World Battle Cup III

Post by Orcc »

Coal! I think weekdays are better option, because finding spare time for so many weekends is hard.
roope wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 04:51 Also, in WBCII there was an event that took place in the night for the European Elma players so kuskis of the Americas could play; any opinions about that?
I think that night battle was not very successful. Being able to play one event of a cup didn't really attract non-European players, so mostly it was just inconvenient for those actually playing the whole cup.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Very good roope! I think this is exactly what the community want and need right now! :) I'll send you some level :beer:
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Very cool that you're organizing this! However:
roope wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 04:51 - all events are 60 minute hidden battles (all normal battle mode... maybe?)
Is this absolutely set in stone? I know it's been like that in I and II but there are quite a few of us who would like to see the World Battle Cup be more like normal battles...
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

SveinR wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:52 Very cool that you're organizing this! However:
roope wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 04:51 - all events are 60 minute hidden battles (all normal battle mode... maybe?)
Is this absolutely set in stone? I know it's been like that in I and II but there are quite a few of us who would like to see the World Battle Cup be more like normal battles...
I might consider "normal" kind of battles (less battle time and shown times) if enough people voice their opinion about this, but for the time being 60 minute hidden battles is what I'll be rolling with. From my perspective I want the events to be something where you can savour the atmosphere. I like the idea of combing the element of battling (everyone playing together at the same time and chatting) with the element of traditional cup playing (enough time to somewhat get to know the level + not knowing other people's times until the event is over). There have been other battle cups that have had these shorter shown battles and albeit they have been successful too, I'm not sure that's what WBC is about.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I've already talked about this in the WBC-2 feedback thread, but I also would be very interested in seeing shorter events. If anything, just because I'm not used to staying focused on one battle for an hour. Something like 25-45 would be ideal for me depending on the lev I think.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

SveinR wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:52 Very cool that you're organizing this! However:
I think making it 60 mins battles eliminates a lot of luck so only the really best can win this. Many people might not have endurance or patience to play 60 mins straight but imo it is fine for this cup. Will send level, thanks roope!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

insane guy wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 21:47I think making it 60 mins battles eliminates a lot of luck so only the really best can win this.
Sure, but I just think it becomes something different from a battle.. like spending a whole year running 100m competitions and then suddenly in the world championships the distance is 400m.
Rules | FAQ
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

SveinR wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:56
insane guy wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 21:47I think making it 60 mins battles eliminates a lot of luck so only the really best can win this.
Sure, but I just think it becomes something different from a battle.. like spending a whole year running 100m competitions and then suddenly in the world championships the distance is 400m.
very good point, maybe the title of the cup is a bit misleading after all.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

what about 2 battles on saturday, 3 battles on sunday? only 2 weekends. maybe not too exhausting for most if the battles arent all 60min? i'd like seeing some 30s-20min sprinter balle also. 5 60min balles, 5 shorter usual balles would be oke balance.

that weekend idea is probably easier not to miss than 10 single separate days. (got to emphasise this great option because high chance i'd miss if its on weekdays :mrgreen: )

wrote on discord already but it wont hurt to repeat:
if i were able to play ONLY 1 (the night one) event, i wouldnt give a fuck about the cup because no point. its nice to care about our timely outzoned fellows, but thats just forcing players that are able to play on target hours to skip in great amopunt

or 6*60min, 4 shorter event plan:
saturday: 2* 60min event with 6min balle inbetween (10min break).....} REPEAT
sunday: 2*short event, 6min break-balle, 60min event............................} ME TWICE
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

As a former host I would appreciate the battles would follow a similar formula than the previous WBCs. 60 minutes hidden battles might not feel like the battles people are used to but that's kind of the point of it. We originally wanted the cup to feel like the actual World Cups.

This concept allows players to prove themselves without any distractions. If you manage to find a hidden superroute you are free to finish it as early as you like without revealing anything to your opponents. It might feel unfair for some since they can't use any of the information to their advantage but it's equally "unfair" for everybody. Just like World Cup. I'm sure times would be very different there as well if times were shown throughout the week.

The point of battle like this isn't to reach the ideal time in every event. Styles will be missed and other mistakes will be made as well but everybody has an equal opportunity and plenty of time to try out stuff. Again, just like World Cup

Some special events can be introduced of course, just like niN did with WBCII.

But for a battle cup with 20m events and whatever people are suggesting I think it is better to come up with a different contest entirely.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I think some special event or some shorter event could be a nice variation just like world cup had. But it won't be WORLD BATTLE CUP without these massive cool 60 minute hidden battles that zweq places like 34th in because he has :bear: brain.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I'm sure you know roope, but be sure to read this thread. It was made for you ;)

Have fun guys! I might submit a lev if I find all my elma stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9476
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Eh, I'm sorry but in the end it seems I'm too busy to arrange this in the spring. I should have announced it earlier - especially to the guys who offered to help me, but oh well. I still want to arrange WBC this year, so: do you think summer is a good time (I know people might be busy then), or is later in the year better?
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

roope wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 04:16 Eh, I'm sorry but in the end it seems I'm too busy to arrange this in the spring. I should have announced it earlier - especially to the guys who offered to help me, but oh well. I still want to arrange WBC this year, so: do you think summer is a good time (I know people might be busy then), or is later in the year better?
I think sometime in the autumn is much to be preferred over summer. Say September-October-ish.
Rules | FAQ
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

It's now "later in the year", time for this!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Yeah, pls new! I can make lev too!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Pls!
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I said this a couple of months ago in #events on Discord but I forgot to post here. I'm simply too busy with university right now to host the WBC. Life happens, sorry to let you down!
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1