NoobSty2 competition - final results up

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

NoobSty2 competition - final results up

Post by Orcc »

Helo again! I'm arranging a new contest in the spirit of NoobStyl-competition.

Now it's time to rock the editor like it's year 2000 again! Remember the time when you had completed a handful of internal levels, skipped a few and then discovered that there's an editor? Having no idea how to use it, seeing weird words (vertex = ?), but still you managed to create your first masterpieces.

I guess we need some rules and guidelines for this one:
  • The goal of the competition is to design a level in as noobisly fashion as you can
  • Even though shareware editor comes to mind at first, you can use the editor in the registered version of the game (or any other editor if that gives you noobier end result)
  • The level should be somewhat nice to play. Speedloops are very common first designs, but usually not so fun to play
I will be the judge of the levels. Deadline for submitting your lev is Friday 18.10.2019 at 21:00 EEST, send it to me any way you wish (note to Olliz: nobody has a floppy drive anymore). One level per kuski.

Additional note: this time awsj can participate.

For inspiration you can check out some very old levels, for example official levelpack levs here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9667&p=255095#p255095

NOOBSTY2 BATTLE CUP + DESIGNER GUESSING COMPETITION

The designing contest is now over, thanks to all the noobs who participated! All these masterpieces would be wasted if there was nobody playing them, so I will host a battle cup with the levels. The battle cup will start on Sunday 27.10.2019 at 18 EET.

There will be nine levels in total. Battle time for each level will be 15 minutes with a 10-minute break battle after every three levels, so the total running time will be roughly 3 hours. The battle time is relatively short (to make this battle cup not last the entire evening), so I already advice you to be prepared for checking out the maps and doing possible fps tuning (hey, they're noob levs) to get the most out of the 15 minutes.

Apple results (non-finishers) will receive tie points without regard to the time when the result was reached. So if you get five apples during the first minute you will get same points as someone who gets them the last minute.

To add an additional twist to the battle cup you can guess the designer of the level during the battle. I will reveal the designer after each battle is over, so it will get easier towards the end. The levels will be in order so that the least noob level is first and the winner is the last battled level.

Designer list for guessing:
  • AndrY
  • awsj
  • BlaZtek
  • chris
  • jblaze
  • jonsykkel
  • Lousku
  • roope
  • SveinR
Guesses shouted out in public don't count, so send me a private message for the guess. I prefer receiving your answers via irc or Discord so that the answers will be stored. In-game private message is also one option, but when things are hectic and I'm trying to update the data as quickly as possible I can't guarantee that I notice every message.

Point system:
Battles - 15 points for the winner, then 14, 13, ...3, 2, 1 and finally 0 for those who are outside of top 15.
Designer guessing: 4 points per correct answer.

NOOBSTY2 DESIGN COMPETITION RENAULTS

Level pack: https://elmaonline.net/statistics/levelpack/NoobSty2
Download levs: https://elmaonline.net/downloads/levelpack/347/NoobSty2

In general people seemed to grasp the style of designing quite well, but easily the most common mistake was to make the levels too hard. I spent several hours checking, cruising and testing the levels driving normally but also driving nooblike, which usually resulted in encountering impsy spots. After that the hardest part in judging the levels was how to balance the rating between playability and noob design style, as they can easily contradict between each other. That's why some people might argue with my final one-man-decided renaults. I tried my best to respect the noobness factors but also to give credit to modern day playing possibilities.

9. Lousku: nooblous.lev - Unnamed
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442333
The level is way too hard for a noob to even get out of the first loop (btw the loops are too smooth for old style). The way to the top platform is barely possible even for pros. Now this might have been intentional with forgotten "wrong start place", but noob levels tend to be playable since they are tested and not made for battles. On the plus side there are a bunch of unnecessary apples, which is always good, and the best grass in the whole competition.

8. chris: chorcc01.lev - unnamed
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442335
Chris stated that this level is based on his first ever level. I don't know where things started going wrong and he went for flat track designs? This level is impossible to finish so in that sense it could arguably be last in the contest, but this design style is truly "my first editor". If it was possible to finish and had some more playability to it, who knows how high in the results it could've been?

7. SveinR: Mountain.lev - Unnamed
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442336
I would like to thank SveinR for delivering the level to me in "My level.zip" so I saved some precious download time. Although I think ARJ would've given better compression. Mountain.lev is also very nice early Elma era file name (awsj: note the spelling). The big downside in the level is that the start is hard for a noob - you can't get extra speed due to the killer so you need pro bike control to make it over the hill. The unpolished polygon connections are very nice, also good job designing with the shareware editor limits and within default outer polygon.

6. jonsykkel: TRIALS2.LEV - trials bike BY JON
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442338
As far as the naming goes jon went all all the way down to DOS era with TRIALS2.LEV name, very nice job. Is it anyone har gott trailbike.lgr ?? There are very nice old details in the level. Yet again we encounter the same problem: the level is impsy hard. Also there's some inconsistency to it, as the mid section is filled with hard flip tricks but the easy side parts are aided with gravity. Overall the old style is there, but I think the problem is that jon was born with skill level high enough to complete this lev with first tries of the game unlike anyone else.

5. jblaze: jblOLD.lev - not easy
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442340
It's always nice to encounter a casual vsync spot, because back in the days nobody got stuck in them by accident. Also level name "not easy" has VERY classic touch to it. My personal old Across masterpiece was named "Not impossible". There's a nice the pitfall trap at the end, which actually would end up being a shortcut for pros. Overall there are quite hard spots, but they are living up to the name of the level. This is still possible to finish even with noob skills.

4. BlaZtek: NoobsBZ.lev - Unnamed
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442341
We come to the top four of the design contest and this is where things got really hard for putting the levels in order. There are only small details which determine the end result. Still this morning I swapped the positions of two of these levs. As for this BlaZtek level it has a great noob touch to it, but the winning chances were blown by the hardness of the bottom left corner. Can't cross it with slow speed, and with high speed jump the nabs will die in the corner, and lastly they won't make it back across the spikes. Binus mention for random nab grass.

3. roope: noobstyr.lev - New level
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442343
Roope captured the essence of a noob level very nicely. The only thing really missing here for me is the planned noob route. There are some options, but I can't find what is the actual intended and easy one. Also I would've liked to see some more detailed nabness for the chance to win this contest.

2. awsj: arsy2.lev - Unnamed
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442345
I think the best very general noob thing in this level is that driving normally full speed will cause you to fuck up in many spots. This is very common trait in noob levs, I think somehow throttle for nabs is less efficient. Unnecessary apples and killers flourish here, which is nice to see. Having a hotmail address to send your replays to is always a good option for the designer to see the best runs. Very impressive result overall, the only thing leading to silver was the slight lack in playability (as was to be expected with all the noob traits chosen).

1. AndrY: ayNOOB.lev - My first level by Olliz
https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/442346
And the winner is Olliz! Wait what? To be honest I didn't really get this Olliz reference - he is very known old designer but I couldn't capture his design style in this lev. That didn't matter anyway because the level is awesome. There's clearly a planned slow way to drive this level (and I can feel nabs pressing the gas button with their dear lives to make that final loop and jump). Did you notice that the trap on the left side has a spike just on the height of the head - be careful not to drive all the way to the wall. The way to mask the level is creative to say the least. And to top the package it's actually nice to höyl with modern day standards as well (although the end can cause grey hair). Congrats AndrY!

NOOBSTY2 BATTLE CUP RENAULTS
Roope won the combined battle cup and designer guess competition, congrats!
(Note: Nekit did 34,02 in event 07 which I spied live, but Putin blocked his time from battle renaults)
http://kopasite.net/up/1/noobsty2_battl ... esults.png

Separated design guess renaults
(Binus mention to Lousku who got awsj wrong even though his name was in the lev and to awsj who didn't guess his own lev and to arzenik who guessed event 7 without even playing it)
http://kopasite.net/up/0/noobsty2_desig ... esults.png
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Orcc
Moporator

Re: NoobSty2-competition

Post by Orcc »

Chris wins first finish!
NoobSty2-competition

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

how to editor in win10

bil gates is threat to elma

pls save us godsykkel
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Zweq wrote: 6 Oct 2019, 09:29 how to editor in win10

bil gates is threat to elma

pls save us godsykkel
I think ddraw.dll can help you, but I'm not sure.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Try both versions (https://elastomania.wixsite.com/-sla/programs), one of them makes internal editor work for me. And the one that does (unlike the other one) worked on both my PC and laptop, so >50% chance :thumbsup: It lowers fps to lajk 200 tho for my :<
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Nice contest. I replied to you in discord.
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

One week until deadline! I've received a couple of entries but more noobs are required to enter the editor and find a way to send me the level.
NoobSty2-competition

SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Depending on how many levs you get, it could be fun to hold a short battle cup of the levs before announcing renaults :)
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

balle cup + guess quiz, yea
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Or perhaps levs being battled in order of increasing noobness.. so winner is battled last.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

I thought I'd release them as a little lev pack but a battle cup before that could also work! Let's see what I get.
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

24 hours left, time to go find the editor!
NoobSty2-competition

jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

balle idea - good

mini guess contest - good

noobstyl contest - good

level of jbl - sent
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Orcc
Moporator

Re: NoobSty2 battle cup + designer guess Sun 27.10. @ 18 EET

Post by Orcc »

Updated the first post with battle cup and designer guessing competition info.
NoobSty2-competition

AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

Orcc wrote: 5 Oct 2019, 15:16 I will reveal the designer after each battle is over, so it will get easier towards the end.

Guesses shouted out in public don't count, so send me a private message for the guess.
nice, but what about to make guess cup after usual cup?
Just because ppl will have no time to play and write private messages in one time. And the winner will be obv, before last balle starts.
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

My intention is to update the results during the battle cup, so it's nicer to see live renaults and not just add the guessing points after playing all the levs or have them totally separated from the cup. Alt+tab to irc/discord and a message to me only takes five seconds so you still have 14 minutes and 55 seconds for playing.

And yes, the winner will be known when the "second" lev designer is revealed. Some levels contain the designer names, but I haven't yet ranked them, so can't know for sure if the second level will show it or will it be known only after I reveal the designer name.

One thing I was thinking about is that would mans like to have a little break or two during the cup? It's pretty intense when there are only two minute breaks between battles. So I think I would need a 10-minute break balle after every three levels.
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

So I will go with the two 10-minute breaks after every three battles.

There is one level which is unfinishable (and another that is very hard). I decided that apple amount will receive tie points without regard to the time when the result was reached. So if you get five apples during the first minute you will get same points as someone who gets them the last minute. Like I said to SveinR a while ago: we didn't have first finishes in 1994.

Another note: there are plenty of enjoyable levels too!
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

24 hours to showdown!

Tips for preparing:
  • Write down designer list so you can think about it while balling and cross over the already revealed designers
  • Be ready to send me pm in irc or Discord
  • Have some good mood because noobness is to be expected at certain points ¨ =)
  • Enjoy the stroll!
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Re: NoobSty2 competition - final results up

Post by Orcc »

Updated the final design competition renaults along with the battle cup renaults. Congratulations to winners AndrY and roope! Thanks to everyone who participated, especially the noob designers! I withdraw myself back to the oldskool resting cave, see you around.
NoobSty2-competition

jonsykkel
Kuski

Re: NoobSty2 competition - final results up

Post by jonsykkel »

very good contest, as expekted this seems to come naturally to awsj
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1