How to move Elma to a new computer?

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

pedro
Kuski

How to move Elma to a new computer?

Post by pedro »

i am going to get a new modem sometime and i dont want to lose my elma stats and stuff. problem is i dont have a cd-burner :cry: . can someone please help me?
Xian
Banned

Post by Xian »

What is the problem? You will just have to install the modem, not erase anything from the harddrive.
[RH] ||TT: 42.23.xx || Mimento Vivere...
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

oops sorry i mean i am getting a new tower :oops:
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

pedro wrote:oops sorry i mean i am getting a new tower :oops:
Can't you keep your old hard drive? Or do you have to format it or something?
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

hey thats an idea ill see what i can do

Edit: i cant take the hardrive out because im getting a 10 gigabyte drive but the one i have now is a 3 gigabyte drive..
Last edited by pedro on 27 Aug 2003, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

mb? :lol:
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

pedro wrote:i cant take the hardrive out because im getting a 10 gigabyte drive but the one i have now is a 3 gigabyte drive..
Isn't there room for both harddrives?
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

i dont now but im not a whiz in pc's
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

well copy your state.dat and recs to a floppy, sure you have a floppy drive?
Tomorrow's Lucky Run Solutions Today
Flowertouching Men
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

who will put together the new stuff?
changing tower is not that easy if you dont know what you're doing, because you basically have to detach almost everything, all pci cards, display card, cd drives, hard drives, cables (mostly).

if someone who knows what to do does that, then I think it would be no problem to have two hard disks, unless you don't have room for it, which usually means, if you have four devices you can't have more unless you have a motherboard which has more ide routes. But I guess you have room since you don't have cd-rw.

On the other hand, if you're not interested backing up anything else than levels, stats and couple of recs, you can use floppy drive as mister K said. Levels take very few space, as well as stats, while replays dont take that much of space either, you can download moposite replays again.
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

yeah...there are 2 rather easy ways to handle this, easiest is what K and dz said, to copy recs,levs and state.dat file to a floppy disk or disks and the other one is to just send all your files to some of us or some friend online who can send them back to you, or just upload your all important elma files in one zip to somewhere.

for insance ..maybe hmm 50 levels and 100 recs + state.dat would take only bout maybe 10mb?! my estimation...thats 8 floppy disks :D..or 60-120minutes transfer to the web/friend with slow modem
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

ok i have the floppy disks but what am i supposed to put on them? just the state.dat the recs and then when i get the other computer i reinstall elma then i replace those files right?
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

You have to go to your elma folder with f.ex windows explorer, and copy your "state.dat" at least, i recommend zipping it at copying also the zip in case other file corrupts.

Then you should go to "lev" folder if you have any levels you want to backup. Just copy the all the levels you want, they don't take much space.

Finally go to the "rec" folder and copy every replay you need, it's propably better to zip them in one file to save space.

After you've gotten the "new" computer, assuming you don't have the same hard disk anymore, just install new copy of elma, and then copy all the necessary levels, replays and state.dat to the same place you copied them away from. state.dat to main elma folder, replays (*.rec) to "rec" folder and levels (*.lev) to "lev" folder.

Everything should be exactly the same as they were in old hard disk.
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

ok thanks a lot guys