Why can't I make an lgr =(

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Why can't I make an lgr =(

Post by niN »

Hi! I'm very sorry if this is explained somewhere else but I've been searching for a simulair topic in mopolauta with no sucess.

My question is how do I make an lgr? this is how I do:

-I download the "lgrdk10" with the "make_lgr.exe" file,
-Edit the pictures in paint (dunno if that's what I'm doing wrong),
-Save them as the existing file (ex. FLAG.pcx, BRICK.pcx)
-click the "make_lgr.exe" file
-and moves the lgr to my folder.

-I then create a new level with my lgr.
-starts elma and tries to play it, but when I click it says "sorry internal error"

I don't know if it has got anything to do with my colors or anything... Please help I would really like to make an lgr, maybe that would help me like elma again =)
//thanks!
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Maybe u forgot to save the *.TGA files also?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

oh :O I didn't know you had to do that, I'll try, Thanks man!

EDIT: Nope I tried but no luck =(
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Xiphias wrote:Maybe u forgot to save the *.TGA files also?
The TGA files are only there cause they have better resolution and is easier to edit and the nconvert into pcx files. The TGA files are not included in the LGR file.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

It's probably something with the color scheme. There is some very long readme about it included in the kit.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

You "should" in fact edit the TGA files. When you've edited your pictures you need to use the MERGEPIC.EXE program, this will create TMP.TGA, which you open in your image editing program and convert to an indexed pcx file with 256 colors. Save it as TMP.PCX, then use the APARTPIC.EXE which will make all the pcx files for you that you'll use in your LGR.

The point of all this is to make sure your pcx files uses the same color palette (index). Also make sure it's 256 colors.

It's been over a year since I last used the LGR Kit, but I'm pretty sure that was how I did it back then at least.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

skint0r wrote:... which you open in your image editing program and convert to an indexed pcx file with 256 colors. ...
I understood the first part very well, but I'm afraid I didn't quite get that part. Could anyone explain it in a way which I'm able to understand. I know I'm sopose to open it in paint but after that I'm lost. I don't understand what "256 colors" means.

However I think I'm getting closer now couse I've never done any of this before. Thanks Skint!
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Not sure how I can explain it better... In your paint program there should be an option to select a palette to use with your pcx image. In photoshop you can do it here like this.

The point is that this tmp.tga file is a collage of ALL the images put together into one big one, so that you can select the best palette to get the closest matching colors for all your images. Reason being that you can't use different color palettes for the different images, they all have to use the same one. This apartpic.exe will make all the pcx images for you, with the same color index as the tmp.pcx file has, to solve this problem.[/url]
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

hm.. I didn't find the button in paint so I looked in iView and I found something simulair, this: http://www.freewebs.com/nincont/test.gif

Anyways I tried clicking the "APARTPIC.exe" file without doing a thing with the tmp.pcx file, and got this:
"Palette error 0x0C in PCX file!: tmp.pcx"

And you said something about "256 colors", is this the "thing" that I should change the palette to?
Sorry for being slow.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Paint? MS Paint? I really hope you're not using that to make LGR... Get a proper image editing program. Yes you probably got an error because you didn't set the palette properly.

A color palette/index or whatever you want to call it, decides what colors the image should use. Elma only supports 256 colors, so you need to limit the amount of colors your pcx images uses. In photoshop there's a dialog after clicking on the menu item I showed a picture of, where you can select how many colors you want your palette to consist of. You need to have a feature in your program that is similiar to that. I've used IrfanView before myself, but I'm not familiar with its editing options, so can't really help you with that.
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Ok I think I can get it fixed now. Thanks a lot skint! I'll try right away.
elvis
Beginner kuski

Post by elvis »

Well, I need a new´s pictures to my lgr file. I want a normal barell plus second barell too (is edited). How I doing it?

I creating on my folder barell2.tga and barell2.pcx and click on CREATELGR.exe but it isnt doing a new barell on my lgr, only normal barell.

How I doing it please?
(do you understand?) thanks
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

elvis wrote:Well, I need a new´s pictures to my lgr file. I want a normal barell plus second barell too (is edited). How I doing it?

I creating on my folder barell2.tga and barell2.pcx and click on CREATELGR.exe but it isnt doing a new barell on my lgr, only normal barell.

How I doing it please?
(do you understand?) thanks
you must add barrell2.pcx in the pictures.lst file
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
elvis
Beginner kuski

Post by elvis »

YEES , thanks, this is a good. bye
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Hi everyone!
skint0r wrote:You "should" in fact edit the TGA files. When you've edited your pictures you need to use the MERGEPIC.EXE program, this will create TMP.TGA, which you open in your image editing program and convert to an indexed pcx file with 256 colors. Save it as TMP.PCX, then use the APARTPIC.EXE which will make all the pcx files for you that you'll use in your LGR.

The point of all this is to make sure your pcx files uses the same color palette (index). Also make sure it's 256 colors.

It's been over a year since I last used the LGR Kit, but I'm pretty sure that was how I did it back then at least.
I did all this and it actually worked. The only problem is that it looks like shit. Here is the lgr. Can anyone tell my why the "invisible" colours doesn't work? I use MS paint to edit the pictures. I haven't got any other program, noobish but cuel.

Help would be apprechiated! Thanks!

EDIT: Okaym I might have located the problem. When I change the TMP.pcx picture to 256 colours then the whole image gets fucked up with dots and shit. How can I provent this?
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...