Glossary help

Everything about Moposite. Wishes for new sections / updates etc. Please tell all bugs, errors you've found. Help us.

Moderator: Moporators

Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Glossary help

Post by Abula »

I'm making an Elma glossary. I hope you, the community can help me writing the glossary items.

Here is a item list: http://paprika.moposite.com/info_help_glossary.php

You can suggest new ones. And if you can write some of those descriptions please include them here between code BBCodes. Something like this:

Code: Select all

Alias brake
-------------------
    Tisk is mooGel.
The items marked as "NOT YET" you shouldn't put effort on. The "..." are missing everything, the ones which have some text are just some old suggestion or maybe only a list of keywords.

Thanks.

Ps. appropriated credits will be given.
Last edited by Abula on 15 Jul 2006, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

Background: If it's not default, it hurts to battlers eyes :P
Seize the day
banned

Post by banned »

abulism - to höyl updating statistics
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Updated the list... if anyone cares.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

8-ball started the development.

Sound:
---------
Can be turned off in options

Speedloop:
---------
Level that has relatively few moves/tricks but very high speeds and big loops, often disliked by skilled players because of few skill involved/luck factor

Start bug:
---------
(imo) When the wheels are partly in polygon(s) from the start of a level, causing quick acceleration/high jumps. Can cause internal error sometimes

Timer:
---------
Displayed in upper-right corner of the screen while playing a level. Can be turned off

Total Time:
---------
Counted from the best times for each of the 54 levels in stats.txt. Adds 10 minutes for every level not finished/skipped

Trick:
---------
Certain impressive performances in Elma that require more or less skill, such as bounces, brutal volts, pipe driving, hanging, etc.

Vertex:
---------
Side of a polygon. Minimum of 3 for each polygon in a level.

Vsync:
Vertical Synchronization, switching it from ON to OFF in your video card's preferences is affecting how bike acts in Elma

Wheel:
---------
The bike has two of these. Pressure them to perform bounces. Suit perfectly for brutal volts.

#across:
---------
The main IRC channel for Elma community talk
Some of them could be more detailed.
Last edited by Abula on 1 Nov 2005, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

quite a lot of mistakes... "few skill involved" makes no sense... a vertex is not the side of a polygon, it's a corner of a polygon... it's not the wheels that get pressured in bounces, it's the suspension....
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Bike :
-------
The vehicule the kuski uses to drive through the elma worlds.

Battle :
-------
A contest mainly playable on Irc which consists in hoyling a level for a short period of time. Statistics are made with the results and are available by typing "stats nick".

Pipe Driving :
-------
One of the different tricks that can be done in the game. The movement is done by going in passages that are too narrow to drive straight in. You have to ride with the bike perpendicular (or almost) to the ground.

Ban :
-------
A ban is a warning that forbids you to take part to some events, discussions or forum. You get a ban by doing one of these : insulting people, talking non-english on some boards or Irc channels, being totally stupid, non-obeying to rules, etc...

Braking :
-------
The action of stopping the wheels rotation by pressing the down arrow. In the air, it can also modify your angle by alternating between gaz and brake.

Background :
-------
The texture used and showed behind the driver. The usual background is "sky" but it can also be switched to "ground", "brick" and all the other available masks textures. It can also be altered by using a LGR.

LGR :
-------
Level Graphics Ressources (?). A LGR file is a file that contains all necessary picture files for the game to work, such as pictures, masks, textures and biker's parts. A LGR can be done or modified with the LGR Development Kit.  

LOM :
-------
Level Of the Month. A contest organized by Abula which is all about level designing. Every month, a new theme is released and the designers have 1 month to make the best level possible about that theme. The levels are rated on these points : visual, playability, respect of theme. The raters are Abula, psy and Skint0r.
Enough for today
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

NOT YET items are not needed to be made, yet.
GMan
Kuski

Post by GMan »

Dont symbols come before numbers, come before letters?

Now its letters, numbers, symbol, which is backwards than most glossaries.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

why constantly create new work to do abula, when there already are lots of old shit that need updating / fixing :o
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

document said:

Alovolt
There is a special trick in Elma called Supervolt which is done by pressing both left and right rotates simultaneously. Alovolt stands for Alone supervolt which means making an instant supervolt without the preceding normal volt beforehand. Alovolt is very hard to do without the unofficial 1.2 patch.

this is not to clear to understand for many ppl I guess... the "without the preceding normal volt beforehand" should be explained BEFORE it says what alovolt is. the explanation of supervolt there makes it sound like an alovolt to me... and then it sayd alovolt is same thing... almost... I understand it and most kuskis does but this should be understood by more new ppl so somehow change it!
Elasto Mania - ez better
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Zweq wrote:why constantly create new work to do abula, when there already are lots of old shit that need updating / fixing :o
Somehow I have a feeling I've heard this many times already in the past. I would like to hear Abula's response to this one.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

"Paprika".
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

dz wrote:
Zweq wrote:why constantly create new work to do abula, when there already are lots of old shit that need updating / fixing :o
Somehow I have a feeling I've heard this many times already in the past. I would like to hear Abula's response to this one.
I'm currently fixing them. I just don't have time to do old things in old way, need to improve the systems.

One new minor thing is this glossary. And that's why I'm not using my own time to write those items.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Thanks a lot BoneLESS. I've updated the page.

I don't want to use much time to this now, please talk here about the improvements and then make edits. It could work like Wikipedia. I update the page when something is got ready.

You can add new items, edit old ones etc. "Many mistakes there" doesn't help much.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Sky :
------
The sky is the normal background texture. It consists in a blue sky with white clouds.

KOM :
------
Kuski Of the Month. Every month, on Mopolauta, 5 kuskis are nominated on a poll and the community votes for the best one. At the end of the month, the kuski with the most votes gets the title of Kuski Of the Month.

Killer :
------
A killer is an object with a round form and spikes all around it. It has the effect of ending the game if the kuski's wheels or head touch it.

Head :
------
The kuski's head is the only part of the driver that causes death when it touches directly a polygon.

Ground :
------
The ground is the normal foreground texture. It consists in a dark blue polygonic texture.
Felt like doing some more...
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

BoneLESS are you sure english is your first language? :lol:
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i can't see any typos there
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Yes, zwoqry is so cool he helps native american writing english!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I'd like to add some more to this.

KOM :
------
Kuski Of the Month. Every month, on Mopolauta, 5 kuskis are nominated on a poll and the community votes for the best one. At the end of the month, the kuski with the most votes gets the title of Kuski Of the Month and writes answers to an interview.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

zworqy wrote:BoneLESS are you sure english is your first language? :lol:
it's not... i speak french as a first language. English is my second :?
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Lukazz wrote:i can't see any typos there
It's perfect spelling but poor grammar:
Sky :
------
The sky is the normal background texture. It consists in a blue sky with white clouds.
consists of a blue sky
Head :
------
The kuski's head is the only part of the driver that causes death when it touches directly a polygon.
...when it touches a polygon

or

...when it makes contact with a polygon

If you insist on using "directly", it should be before "touches" or after "polygon".

Just my opinions :)
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Well Zworqy, there's also the fact that i was in the middle of a computer class trying to understand how the memory works in the computer. My brain was already messed because of a lack of sleep so, don't ask me too much :wink:
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Ok enough. You should have read the following post: http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=671
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

dz, this is an exception. Zworqy's trying to make suggestions to improve the glossary.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

tijsjoris wrote:dz, this is an exception. Zworqy's trying to make suggestions to improve the glossary.
Yeah, this is correcting grammar in text on, or about to be on, moposite.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

It's not different. This topic is to help doing glossary, small typos can be fixed later for example in the topic dedicated to such. The idea for now is to gather information as much as possible. Of course it can be fixed here also but you can use PM to inform the original author of the text about it.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

another case of ZWORQY-GETS-OWNED
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I simple don't agree with you. If one bothers to fix glossary before the wrong ones are put into the glossary, there would be no need to report an error after it's done. I assume this is the most fit topic to discuss errors in suggestions for the glossary.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

another case of zworqy-makes-sissy-of-himself closed.
39:37,91
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Well yes ok, it won't hurt too much. Just don't go too personal like telling how somebodys english sucks. Just fix it. End of this off-topic.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Updated.

Some new items (many of them are NOT YET):

* pick and skip
 * speed
 * rail
 * head
 * invisible
 * spin
 * jump
 * pipe
 * launcher
 * style
 * route
 * autolevel
 * mask
 * distance
 * picture
 * clipping
 * details
Last edited by Abula on 7 Dec 2005, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Added new keywords:

* Black list
* Nitro
* Saveload
* Table
Please...
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I just wrote some lines myself but got dame angry after 20 minutes. Please help me writing the most obvious ones...

http://www.pulu.org/elma/glossary.html
Sathy
Engleacher

On spelling and grammar mistakes

Post by Sathy »

I'd like to add that having the language exactly right is not a big deal at this point, since all the text is and will be read through and fixed if needed before it's published. Not that it hurts to make the language proper right from the start, but since it has to be checked anyway, you (Zworqy) could perhaps concentrate on adding new explanations / fixing actual factual mistakes.
Last edited by Sathy on 8 Mar 2006, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
We shape life, we travel space, but we don't know the words to the songs of the ocean.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

me?
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Yes, eventhough he unfortunately misspelled your nick name. I'm sorry.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Level : 
-----
A composition of polygons, pictures and objects that forms a playable area for the driver. The goal of a level in elasto mania is to take all the apples and to touch the flower.

Object : 
-----
An object is an interactive graphic in the game. The three main objects in the game are the apples, the killers and the flower. 

Polygon : 
-----
A polygon is an assembly of vertexes that creates a solid surface that affects your player's wheels and head. If your head touches a polygon, your player will die.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Ban :
-----
When you break the rules of the forum, irc channel or have cheated in a contest, you'll be banned. Durations differ from one day to a year, also there's the final eternal ban.

Flag Tag :
-----
This is a game mode for multiplaying. You have to hold the flag on your vehicle while the opponent tries to grab it back.

Invisible :
-----
Invisible polygons are created by making them exceedingly thin, so they won't be rendered on the screen. Generally, the use of this is disagreeable.

Mask :
-----
In the level editor you can use a mask to cover a certain area in a level with a texture of your choice. Masks can be configured to cover only ground, only sky or both.

Picture :
-----
Pictures are graphics in the level editor to spice the look of your level up.

Rotating :
-----
Rotating the motorcycle is done by using volts.

Turning :
-----
Turning the motorcycle left or right is done by using the turn button. Default is the space bar.

Volt :
-----
A volt is a move that you can use to rotate the motorcycle. You can use a left volt, right volt or a supervolt.

Grass :
-----
Grass is used in the level editor to spice up the look of your level. You can cover the surfaces of polygons with grass.

Gravity :
-----
Apples can affect the gravity in a level. You can set an apple to change gravity to down, up, left or right.
Weee =)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Tweaking :
-----
Tweaking your computer's settings can alter the physics of elma. While being quite useful for the more advanced players, tweaking is not very effective for beginners. An example is the vsync tweak.

Saveload :
-----
An infamous cheat that consisted of loading parts of several replays into one to create the perfect run. Saveload is detectable as a cheat.
I guess now all items are done. There are ofcourse some that could be improved.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Apple :
-----
The object that needs to be collected before touching the flower in a level. Though sometimes apples are absent, they're common used in levels. There's a limit of 50 apples in one level. In pipe levels they're used as a count for how far you reached.

Corrupt :
-----
Levels, replays and states often get corrupted. When such a file contains corrupted data, it's not usable anymore. So if you have important level, replay or state files, always back them up, because there's no fix for it.

Cup :
-----
A cup is a specific kind of contest with a number of events. Each event the participants play a level to make a best time, trying to end as high in the list possible. Points are counted and when the cup ends the one with the most points wins. Commonly, points are also counted for teams.

Designer :
-----
A person that makes levels, and puts effort in it to make it fun to play and nice to look at.

Details :
-----
In the elma option menu the details can be turned high or low. With low detail, there are no pictures and grass rendered in levels.

IRC :
-----
Internet Relay Chat. On IRC there a several elma dedicated channels, like #across and #battle. You can just there about elma or ask questions, but it isn't limited to that.

Internal Error :
-----
When the bike stretches too much, elma will crash. It will report an internal error. There's no fix for this.

Level Editor :
-----
With the level editor it is possible to make your own levels. Besides the game's editor there's also ALE, an alternative level editor with more advanced options.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

tijsjoris wrote:

Tweaking :
-----
Tweaking your computer's settings can alter the physics of elma. While being quite useful for the more advanced players, tweaking is not very effective for beginners. An example is the vsync tweak.
Are you sure it's tweaking ? Isn't that tuning ?

I personnaly think tweaking is when you are in the air and you accelerate or break, which makes you tweak a little on the side on want...

Personnal opinion
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hm. When I read 'tweaking' I instantly thought about tuning, but I guess I can be wrong indeed.

Damn ambiguity.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I mean tuning by tweaking.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

The glossary.html is updated, thanks a lot tijs.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

So the url is http://paprika.moposite.com/info_help_glossary.php now. The help is still needed. Ask if you don't understand those letters.
Last edited by Abula on 15 Jul 2006, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Abula wrote:So the url is http://paprika.moposite.com/info_help_glossary.php now. The help is still needed. Ask if you don't understand those letters.
Up.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Feel free to edit:

Deadbounce:
-----
A type of bounce that is normally executed at the end of a 2-wheel-hang, making the bike bounce upwards and slightly backwards above the hang.
Under Moposite's Playing section there is a level that is specially made for practising this trick, PLSP05.
http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php

Secret area:
-----
A place that is hard to find and/or hard to get to, usually marked with the yellow "Secret Area"-sign with red borders. Often you have to leave the traditional route or make a special trick to reach one. There are 5 secret areas on the internal levels: The Steppes, Upside Down, Pipe, Bowling and What the Heck. You can put Secret Area-signs in your own levels too.

Flag Tag:
-----
This is a game mode for multiplaying. The objective is to hold a flag on your bike while the opponent tries to grab it back, or if your opponent has it you have to take it from him.
Each player has their own timer telling for how long in total they have held the flag.
You grab the flag by touching one of the opponent's wheels with one of your own.
If you die your opponent gets the flag and you respawn at the start.
Flag Tag can be played by 2 people on the same computer or online using the EOL patch by milagros.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Ok, here are the glossary items which Abula asked me to write.
Please comment!

to: http://paprika.moposite.com/info_help_glossary.php

Accelerating
-----
Accelerating is essential to get more speed. However, accelerating may turn your bike over and you'll hit your head, so be careful. Easy way to avoid it is to release gas once in a while. Harder (and faster) way is to turn your bike to the other direction for a while to return your front wheel to the ground. This works because accelerating always drops down the wheel which is accelerating. While sounding very easy, accelerating can be very hard in its subtlety.

Acrossish
-----
A particular Elma language used mainly in #across IRC channel but also in other Elma media. The base language is English and a lot of influences come from Swedish and Finnish. Kuskis like Jeppe, SoC and ribot have brought several new words to acrossish. Most words are used only for a limited time and new ones appear all the time. Sample words could be balle (battle), ez (easy), whange (want), höyl (play over and over), kuski (player). Acrossish is a dialect of internet slang which is widely used in IRC, see [url]http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Internet_slang[/url]

ALE
-----
Advanced Level Editor (newest version is 2.1) is a program coded by Nicolas for more advanced level editing. Polygon copy, cut and connect, improved user interface, autograss, grid, level importing and many more features included. Also possible to create multiple flowers. The maximum level size is little bit bigger than what you can make in elma internal editor. Download ALE from [url=http://zworqy.com/elmaguide/index.php?p=ale]Zworqy's site[/url].

Autolevel
-----
An autolevel usually means a level where you don't have to press any button to finish the level. Usually they have some tight places so that you won't finish it easily if you press some key. An autolevel might be hard to make because the bike behaves little bit differently on each run. This is caused by rounding errors which happen when the speed, rotation etc. are expressed in doubles or floats in elma source code.

An autolevel can also mean a level made with a level generator, a program which makes random levels automatically. At least ribot has made a level generator.

Background
-----
The texture used and showed behind the driver. The usual background is sky but it can also be switched to ground, brick and all the other available mask textures. It can also be altered by using an LGR. In elma versions since 1.2 there has been an option to set default background to sky and foreground to ground. This is sometimes useful for example in headbanger where the brick background is irritating.

Battle
-----
A battle (or balle) is a contest mainly playable on irc which consists in hoyling a level for a short period of time. Statistics are made with the results and are available by typing stats nick.
There were also mopobattles which were bigger and advertised beforehand and there
were better statistics available. Nowadays almost all the battling is played in [url=http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=4653]belma[/url]. Before belma, there were mainly only one possible battle mode, where each player played the given unforeseen level for the given time and told the best time he got. Nowadays in belma there are also first finish battles, where the winner is the one who finishes the level first, one-life battles where you can try only once, slowness battle where you have to finish the lev as slowly as possible and survivor battle where you have to stay alive as long as possible. All these can be also crippled which means that you are not able to use throttle or turn or brake or rotate keys. The battle can also be hidden which means that you can't see other players.

belma
-----
belma (Battle ELasto MAnia, ballelma) is a patch created by milagros which allows you to play battles online on the Internet. To play belma, you need to register to [url]http://b.attle.info[/url] (which is down at the moment, registeration is not needed now) and download belma patch from [url=http://zworqy.com/belma/]zworqy's size[/url]. For more info, see [url=http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=4653]mopolauta[/url],[url=http://88.193.228.32/belma/faq/]veezay's installation instructions[/url] and join #ballelma in IRCnet. belma shouldn't be confused with EOL, which is meant for multiplaying (only for 2 players).

Bike
-----
Bike is the vehicle the kuski uses to drive through levels. The bike in elma is few pixels taller than in Across. That's why it might be impossible to play some old across level in elma.

Bounce
-----
A trick where you pressure one of the wheels and then press brake to release the pressure. You can practice bounces in the [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url]. Bounce was originally deemed as bug, but when people started to know how to make it on purpose, it revealed lots of new style possibilities. Nowadays it belongs to every höylä's trick gallery. Bounce should be distinguished from a bug bounce, which happens sometimes when you are trying bounce. A bug bounce is a unnaturally powerful bounce which can't be predicted. It is sometimes hard to make a clear difference between a normal bounce and a bug bounce. For example current enigma wrs have a controversial bounces. There has been discussion should they be allowed or not. But it's hard to draw line which bounce is buggy and which is not. That's why all enigma bounces are allowed so far, but generally a bug bounce is not allowed.

Braking
-----
By braking you can lock both of the wheels. Braking can many times used to get more speed.
Correct use of brakes is one of the hardest skills in elma.
See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Brutal volt
-----
Volt that is usually made from flat ground. First you pressure your back wheel and brake. Then you volt so that you can make a full volt on flat ground. See 
[url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Cannon
-----
A wheel rail or a bunch of tiny polygons inserted to the start of the lev to get a big starting speed. Usually used by noobs. See special level 1 in [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Clipping
-----
Each picture has a clipping. It can be either ground, sky or both which means that they can be seen only on ground (like big brick mask), only on sky (like trees) or on both.
See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_designing.php]Designing section[/url].

Cup
-----
A cup is a specific kind of contest with a number of events. Each event the participants play a level to make a best time, trying to end as high in the list possible. Points are counted and when the cup ends the one with the most points wins (this differs from the usual meaning of cup where the participants knock each other out of the competition). Commonly, points are also counted for teams. The first cup was World Cup by px, other famous cups are mastercups by team TAP, mopokups by zworqy and los cups by Xhomaz. Russian scene has also arranged a bunch of cups.

Crippled battle
-----
A Crippled battle is a battle mode in belma where you can't use some of the bike's features (gas/throttle, brake, turn, volt/rotate). There is a crippled internals WR table on 
[url=http://www.geocities.com/sanitars/]8-ball's page[/url]

Deadbounce:
-----
A type of bounce that is normally executed at the end of a 2-wheel-hang, making the bike bounce upwards and slightly backwards above the hang.
Under Moposite's Playing section there is a level that is specially made for practicing this trick, PLSP05. See
[url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Distance
-----
Each picture has its own distance which is a number between 1 and 999. Kuskis distance is 500 and grass's is 600, so if you want to insert the picture in the background, its distance has to be over 500. Distances can be edited in editor by selecting 'move' and pressing the pictures with right mouse button. See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_designing.php]Designing section[/url].

EOL
-----
Elma OnLine, a patch created by milagros which allows you to play multiplayer in the Internet or LAN. Not to be confused with belma, which is meant for battling. See [url=http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=4099]mopolauta[/url] for more info.

Ez
-----
Usually means easy (ez under 30 secs). Can also mean possible.

First Finish Battle
-----
First Finish battle (ff) is a battle mode in belma where the winner is the kuski who finishes the level first. One second + lag will be added to your time. The second is due to the one second freezing when you touch the flower. You can try again as many times as you want, contrary to one-life battle. There is a 60-second countdown to start so that everyone could start playing at the same moment.

Flag Tag:
-----
This is a game mode for multiplaying. The objective is to hold a flag on your bike while the opponent tries to grab it back, or if your opponent has it you have to take it from him.
Each player has their own timer telling for how long in total they have held the flag.
You grab the flag by touching one of the opponent's wheels with one of your own.
If you die your opponent gets the flag and you respawn at the start.
There is a bug if you rotate the bike when you are respawning: the rotation remains and lets you make some volts in the beginning which you couldn't normally make.
Flag Tag can be played by 2 people on the same computer or online using the EOL patch by milagros.

Flower
-----
The level is finished by touching a flower. With ALE you can make multi flower levels. In such levels it doesn't matter which flower you pick.

Food
-----
See Apple.

Fruit
-----
See Apple.

Grass
-----
Grass is used in the level editor to spice up the look of your level. You can cover the surfaces of polygons with grass. You can add grass automatically with ALE. When inserting grass manually, you have to make sure that the longest horizontal edge of that polygon is not in the side where the grass should be. If you didn't understand that, see [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_designing.php]Designing section[/url].

Gravity
-----
Apples can affect the gravity in a level. You can set an apple to change gravity to down, up, left or right. Note that you can't get gravity off because without gravity you couldn't accelerate at all because there wouldn't be any grip. You should think twice before inserting a gravity apple, because not all players like gravity levels. You can usually design the level so that gravity apples are not needed. Though, when used lightly and in a correct way, they can make your level even better. You can usually find more gravity apples from a noob designer's lev than from an experienced designer's lev.

Grip
-----
You can get more grip by pressing the wheel to the ground. Grip is what you need to be able to gas or brake. By turning vsync off can increase grip in some places.

Ground
-----
The ground is the normal foreground texture. It consists of a dark blue polygonic texture.
Since elma 1.2 there has been an option to set default background to sky and foreground to ground.

Golden Apple Awards
-----
GAAs are given annually to best players/designers in that year. In each year there is a specific GAA jury which consist of 6 veteran kuskis who have been active in that year. The system goes so that first community can give their suggestions to jury. From those suggestions, jury collects 10 candidates to each category. After that community can vote for their best candidates. After that the winners are chosen in special gaa final show. The current categories in GAA are internalist, externalist, battler, rookie, designer, team, wr, style, replay, level, contest, contribution, achievement and site.

Head
-----
The kuski's head is the only part of the driver that causes death when it touches directly a polygon. You can make the head go through walls by using nitro patch's invulnerability option (which works only with elma 1.0 and which is forbidden to use generally). Head's position is always little bit closer to front wheel. That means that you can avoid dying to a wall sometimes by turning your head.

Hooked-bug
-----
If you touch one apple with two wheels (or one wheel and head, or two wheels and head) at the same time the game thinks you took two apples instead of one and thereby lets you finish the level without taking all the apples. In belma this bug has been fixed partly so that you can still finish without taking all the apples, but if you do so, you don't get your time into results.

Impsy
-----
Means impossible. Usually pipes are said to be impsy because they many times look impossible for noobs.

IRC
-----
Internet Relay Chat. In IRC there are several Elma related channels, like #across, #battle, and #ballelma. You can just talk there about elma or ask questions, but it isn't limited to that. More info at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat]Wikipedia[/ur].

Internal error
-----
When the bike stretches too much, Elma will crash eventually. It will report an internal error (error.txt). There's no fix for this. Internal error is kind of generalized error message that is given every time some error has occurred in elma. For example opening corrupted level or trying to save rec file when rec folder doesn't exist will cause internal errors.

Invisible
-----
Invisible polygons are created by making them exceedingly thin, so they won't be rendered on the screen. Generally, the use of this is disagreeable.
See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_designing.php]Designing section[/url].

Juish-p0p-bounce
-----
A kind of special bounce invented by Juish, where you drive along a thin polygon (with front wheel on top of it, back wheel beneath it, and head above the polygon) and press brake (at the end of the polygon) and the front wheel kind of p0ps. See special tricks level 6 in [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Jumping
-----
Jumping means volting so that you can fly longer/higher.
See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Kinglist
-----
Originally a name of Moposite contests' total points lists but nowadays used in many other pages for same purpose. See [url=http://www.moposite.com/contests_kinglist.php]kinglist[/url].

KOM
-----
Kuski Of the Month. Every month, on Mopolauta and on the News page, 5 kuskis are nominated on a poll and the community votes for the best one. At the end of the month, the kuski with the most votes gets the title of Kuski Of the Month and writes answers to an interview.
See [url]http://paprika.moposite.com/community_players_kom.php[/url].

Launcher
-----
See Cannon.

Level
-----
Level (lev, track or map) is a composition of polygons, pictures and objects that forms a playable area for the kuski. Levels are usually made in internal level editor, though there exist other tools for that, see Level editor. 

Level editor
-----
With the level editor it is possible to make your own levels. Besides the game's level editor there's also ALE, an alternative level editor with more advanced options.
Internal editor shows only 1000 levels from the lev folder. This limit has been removed in belma. If you make battle levels, best way to name your levels is like '<yournick>001', '<yournick>002' and so on. Don't put spaces in level name; it crashes the level editor.

Levelpack
-----
Levelpack means simply a bunch of levels. Usually all the levels are made by same person/persons and they are named consistently. In elma 1.2 there is an option which allows to make levelpacks with level name pattern. With that, you can generate statistics automatically. Examples for famous levelpacks are ALP (Alternative Level Pack), OLP (Official Level Pack), RLP (Russian Level Pack) and IFLP (Internal Feeling Level Pack).

LOM
-----
Level Of the Month. A contest organized by Moposite which is all about level designing. Every month a new theme is released and the designers have one month to make the best level possible about that theme. The levels are rated on these points: visual, playability, respect of theme and name. The contest have been on pause since 2003. See [url]http://www.moposite.com/contests_level_of_month.php[/url].

Loop
-----
Loop is a round polygon where you can drive fast. For example Spiral has loops.

LGR
-----
Level Graphics Resources (?). An LGR file is a file that contains all necessary picture files for the game to work, such as pictures, masks, textures and biker's parts. An LGR can be made or modified with the LGR Development Kit. You can get it directly from [url=http://www.elastomania.com/dk.htm]balazs's site[/url].

Map
-----
Sometimes used to mean a level, sometimes the navigator (minimap).

Merging
-----
In Elma you can merge many different things.
You can merge recs with elma 1.2 with the 'merge replays' option (see them at the same time). Stats (txt files) can be merged with [url=http://zworqy.com/elmaguide/index.php?p=programs#mergestats]mergestats[/url].
Levels can be merged with ALE. You can merge your internal level times by renaming the other state.dat to merge.dat and running elma.exe.

Minimap
-----
See Navigator.

Mongo
-----
Mongo, mango, bango, bungo. If your level is said to be mongo, then it's bad.

Mopolauta
-----
Mopolauta is Finnish and it means a motor bike board. It's the name of the Elasto Mania discussion board on Moposite. It's the main Elasto Mania forum in the Internet.
Check it [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/mopolauta]here[/url].

MUe text
-----
There is a MUe text in bowling. You can get there by taking a gravity apple and heading up right. Although it might be hard to find, it's not an official secret area.

Multiplaying
-----
Opposite of single playing. You can play flat tag and normal multiplayer game in elma. You can also play multiplayer game online with [url=http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=4099]elma online (EOL)[/url].
You can see multiplayer wrs in [url=http://www.home.no/sveinrune/multiwr/multiwr.html]official SveinR's multiwr table[/url].

Navigator
-----
Also known as minimap. It's purpose is to show a bigger part of the level so the you can drive faster in unfamiliar levs. Big minimap is useful in battles. Since elma 1.2 it's size have been adjustable.

Nitro patch
-----
Nitro patch is an unofficial patch which works only with elma 1.0. It is illegal to use in any cups and it adds 10 minutes to your time. With the patch you can adjust for example gravity, acceleration, time and elasticity and you can be invulnerable. It's certainly worth to try, but it's not meant for regular playing. Get it from [url=http://zworqy.com/elmaguide/index.php?p=programs#nitro]zworqy's site[/url].

Noob
-----
Noob, n00b, nab, newbie, a new kuski. See [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie]Wikipedia[/url].

O-bounce
-----
O-bounce is a special bounce invented by The OooO. It is possible only if you are driving down a rail and press brake just before the rail ends. More info in the [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Official levelpack
-----
Official levelpack (OLP) is a levelpack which consists of the best levels sent to Csaba (Balazs's brother). The levels to the pack were chosen by MUe.

U: Not OLP! But Csaba's <- eh, what does this means?

OLP
-----
See Official levelpack.

One-life battle
-----
A battle mode in belma where you have only one try. There is a 60-second countdown and you have to be present at second 0 to be able to play it.

Online mode
-----
See belma and EOL.

Pick and skip
-----
Pick and skip is a new level format which was caused by the hooked-bug. When you insert a pipe in the beginning of the level and some apples so that you get them with both wheels, you can skip the same amount of apples from the rest apples. For example, if you put 2 apples to the start pipe and have 5 apples totally (3 apples somewhere else in the level) you have to pick only 1 apple because the 2 apples in the beginning are counted twice. This means you can skip 2 apples. This idea was first time used in cup level in MP's WCup512 level. See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_designing.php]Designing section[/url].

Pipe
-----
Pipe is a tunnel which is so narrow that you can't drive normally. Instead, you have to drive 
sideways. The first pipe level was made by px and first non-linear by Abula. Driving pipe levels is much different from other playing and you have to practice it separately.
Since people learned to play pipe levels, there has always been one special pipe event in each world cup. There are pipe levels in the [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url] too.

Protection
-----
The state.dat is protected so that you can't read it directly. Instead, you can see your times in stats.txt which is updated every time you exit elma. It's only an output file and the real times are stored in the state.dat file.

Rail
-----
Rail is a narrow pipe between two polygons (about the wheel's size) so that you can drive normally through the pipe. The head is outside the rail. Rails are used in rollercoaster levels. If you make the rail size smaller than wheel's size and have vsync switched on, you can use it to get more speed by pressing brake. See special level 1 in [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Refresh rate
-----
Refresh rate of your screen tells how many times the picture is drawn to the screen in a second. If vsync (vertical synchronization) is set on, the refresh rate limits FPS (frames per second, i.e. how many times in second the game situation is calculated).
See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_tweaking.php]Tweaking page[/url].
More info in [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate]Wikipedia[/url].

Replay
-----
Replay or shortly a rec file is a file where all the moves and locations of a single ride are saved. Since belma the replay name could have been up to 15 characters long (before belma only 8 characters). If you get an internal error when you save a rec, you probably don't have rec folder or it's write protected.

Rollercoaster
-----
Rollercoaster is a kind of level which consist of rails and speedloops throughout the level and usually has only one route to finish. The concept was invented by px and since then every world cup have has a rollercoaster level, usually made by px.

Rotating
-----
You can rotate/volt your bike by using left and right arrow keys. Early beta versions of Across didn't have rotate keys at all, which means that basically every level could be finished without them. And actually they can, see [url=http://www.geocities.com/sanitars/]8-ball's crippled wrs (no volt)[/url]. At least Markku has finished all the levels without rotate keys. By pressing both arrow keys exactly at same time, you can get a supervolt (see supervolt). For some volting levels, see [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url].

Route
-----
Route means the path you use when you finish a level. It doesn't mean same as style; two different styles can use same route but two different routes are definitely two different styles also.

Saveload
-----
Saveload was a cheat program which allowed you to save your progress during a rec and load it later. DarMoeD used that to get wrs back in 2004 when he was caught by milagros and his anticheating team. Nowadays you couldn't get wrs by cheating.

Screen-toggling
-----
Normally Elma is launched in full screen mode. It can be played in windowed mode by using [url=http://zworqy.com/elmaguide/index.php?p=programs#d3d]D3D-windower[/url].

Secret area:
-----
A place that is hard to find and/or hard to get to, usually marked with the yellow "Secret Area"-sign with red borders. Often you have to leave the traditional route or make a special trick to reach one. There are 5 secret areas on the internal levels: The Steppes, Upside Down, Pipe, Bowling and What the Heck. You can put Secret Area-signs in your own levels too.

Shortcut
-----
Shortcut is a route which is faster than the normal/easiest route. Shortcuts can sometimes be really hard (for example Ramp Frenzy brutal shortcut).

Skin
-----
In across you could make your own skins to make the kuski and bike look different. Same kind of skin system is nowadays in belma, where you can make your own bmp file and use it as the kuski's shirt. You can see your skin by renaming the bmp to <yournick>.bmp and putting it to bmp folder. Others can see your skin if you upload it to the server and others download it. At the moment you can upload skins to [url=http://zworqy.com/belma/uploadbmp.php]zworqy's server[/url]. Get more info from IRC channel #ballelma.

Sky
-----
The sky is the normal background texture. It consists of a blue sky with white clouds.
Since Elma 1.2 there has been an option to set default background to sky. It helps for example in headbanger where there is an irritating brick background by default.

Slalom
-----
A part in the level where you have to go left-right-left-right like in the end of the internal level called Slalom. In Trouble Double there are also slalom parts.

Slowness Battle
-----
A battle mode in belma where you have to try to finish the level as slowly as possible.
Do not confuse with survivor battle, where you don't have to finish the level.

Sound
-----
Can be turned off in options. Elma uses same sound buffer as (for example) winamp, so you can't listen both winamp and elma sounds at the same time. Turn sounds off when listening to winamp. Sounds are quite irrelevant when playing elma so you don't need them.

Speed
-----
You can get more speed with gas, gravity, braking, loops etc. There is a maximum speed which can't be exceeded. You can get it in long loops and you notice it when the bike stops accelerating. In such conditions it's very hard to control the bike, especially in pipes.

Spin
-----
You can get more spin by rotating the bike. Supervolt/alovolt gives more spin than the regular volt. If you spin too much, the game will eventually grash and give an internal error.

Stretching
-----
You can stretch the bike by letting another wheel go freely when other stops. If you stretch the bike too much, you will get an internal error (same as in spinning). In nitropatch, if you increase elasticity you can stretch the bike much more :)

Style
-----
Style is a way to finish the level, containing all the little tricks which are needed. Not to be confused with route; two different styles may use same route.

Survivor Battle
-----
A battle mode in belma where you have to stay alive as long as possible. Note that you don't have to finish the level. Do not confuse this with slowness battle, where you have to finish.

Supervolt
-----
Press the both rotation keys simultaneously to get a supervolt. That should cause the bike rotate faster. This only works to the clockwise direction (so called right supervolt), but it still helps and is quite important trick when you learn try drive better. This was first considered as a bug but when it only increased the style possibilities, Balazs decided to let it stay. There has been debates whether a left supervolt should be added to elma, but so far it hasn't been added. It's usually needed to make a normal volt before supervolt, because it's really hard to press both rotation keys exactly at the same time, though it's possible. That's why a special alovolt (alone supervolt) key was added to elma. With that you can make a single supervolt much easier.

Table
-----
A table is a collection of times. Usually it consists of a single levelpack times. The intention is to get as many records in a table as possible. A good example of a table is the current [url=http://www.moposite.com/records_elma_wrs.php]WR table[/url].

VCR-style controls
-----
VCR-style (Video Casette Recording) controls have been possible since elma 1.2. They allow the rec to be watched on slow motion, fast forward or backwards.

Vertex
-----
A node of a polygon. Minimum is 3 vertexes/vertices for each polygon in a level (otherwise the edges between the vertexes couldn't form a polygon). Limit of polygons in Elma demo version was 5 and limit of vertexes was 10 per polygon. In full version the limits are 300 polygons and 1000 vertices. Not to be confused with edge, though a polygon always has same amount of vertices (nodes, corners) and edges (arcs, lines).

Vsync
-----
Vertical synchronization. Switching vsync on you can limit the frame rate to your screen's refresh rate. If you don't know whether you have vsync on or off, it's probably on. See Refresh Rate and [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_tweaking.php]Tweaking page[/url] for more material. 

Widescreen
-----
In belma there are more screen modes and you can play with widescreen resolutions also.

Wheel
-----
The bike has two of these. Pressure them to perform bounces. The size of the wheel is exactly the size of objects (killers, apples and flowers).

WR
-----
World Record. If you get a WR in a lev, then you have the fastest time in that level in whole world. WR is usually associated with internal levels. An internal level WR is very hard to get nowadays.

#across (the link didn't work)
-----
The main elma channel in IRCnet, founded by px and Abula in 1998. See IRC for more info.
to: http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php

Pushing
-----
Pushing means to get more speed from walls, stairs, ceiling and poles. Push your wheels against a wall by rotating the bike.

Picking
-----
Picking means to get apple so that you won't lose any extra time. There are many different styles to pick an apple.

Volting
-----
Use your arrow keys to rotate the bike at the right time. In some levels you have to use supervolt or alovolt.

Hanging
-----
Hanging means dangling your bike in the air from a polygon. You can hang either with your left or right wheel or with both wheels.

Jumping
-----
Jumping needs usually as high speed as possible and some volting at a hill. Try to jump through the following levels.

Climbing
-----
Climbing needs usually a skillful use of brake and volting at the same time. Good luck to the levels.

Dropping
-----
Dropping isn't very hard until you realize that the position and angle you land are quite important on how much speed you get after landing.

Stretching
-----
To stretch your bike, you should get as much speed as possible and stop a wheel when other bike continues going.

Gravity
-----
Gravity playing is always hard and sometimes you might even want to turn your screen upside down. To be a good player, you should practice how to control the bike when the gravity doesn't point down.

Killer avoiding
-----
Killers are usually irritating and to best way to handle them is to avoid them, by not inserting them or by trying to dodge them. Try your best in the following levels.

Bouncing
-----
Bouncing means pressurizing your back/front wheel and pressing brake at the right moment. Practice your bouncing skills in the following levels.

Brutal volting
-----
Brutal volting means volting in flat ground. It can be used to jump higher than you normally could. Brutal volting is pretty hard and you should practice it a little. Brutal volting can also be done in multiple ways.

Piping
-----
Piping is an elma art you should really try if you haven't tried yet. It's like yet another game. In the beginning it's very hard but in time you will learn it. Centered camera helps here.

Special tricks
-----
Following levels contain some special tricks which you need in some special occasions. See the levels' descriptions.
Last edited by zebra on 18 Dec 2007, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

This one should be edited, not enough:

Juish-p0p-bounce 
----- 
A kind of bounce invented by Juish, where you drive along a thin polygon and press brake and the front wheen kind of p0ps. See [url=http://paprika.moposite.com/info_knowledge_playing.php]Playing section[/url]. 
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]