Is px dead? The WR-update that never came

Everything about Moposite. Wishes for new sections / updates etc. Please tell all bugs, errors you've found. Help us.

Moderator: Moporators

Thundr-
37mins club

Is px dead? The WR-update that never came

Post by Thundr- »

Just creating this topic in hope of getting some official statement from someone who can answer why there has been no wr update for way over a month.

Most notably those who are making wrs are loosing interest in hoyling internals when the only piece of html-table they care about that directly correlates to their motivation is never, or so rarely updated, that their wrs are being beaten before it ever became official. (I.E Spef having made Steppes wr over a month ago, now beaten by Zweq today.) and so on.

Not blaming if there is any serious reason involved or sach. Just interested in knowing what/if theres something wrong, and why. If px is too busy with life for example, maybe Kopaka can get access/permission to update the official table. If the delay is due to moposite-eol connection. Please state this, so at least people know? Whatever reason there is, cant we fix it somehow? So atleast the table gets regularily updated every week as should be scheduled.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: Is px dead? The WR-update that never came

Post by Orcc »

As far as I see he doesn't have anything special going on. Just regular everyday stuff. Truly odd that he hasn't found time to update.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Think back to 2007, where there was like 6 WR updates in a year or something.

For me, Weekly updates more un-normal than monthlong hiatus.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Nothing to do with moposite-eol connection at least.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Wrs updated already. That was torment :)
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

it is a bit all over the place. Back when I had my wrs, it was being updated monthly so it shows that I held my wrs for only 6 or 7 tables when it should have been more like 25. Really though, doesn't matter I guess.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Tm
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Tm »

Schedule no more. Updates are too elastic in time :/
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Automatic updates. That's what we need.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Over 4 months... It's sad that no one cares to update this table anymore. Those few people who hoyled internals have probably quit because of this. At least I have and won't start again unless px gets replaced.

R.I.P. internals
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

I didnt know there was a topic like this, i was thinking on starting it months before.
Please, as we talked on EOL, new blood on Wr Table update. Its ok if px cant do it, just let other player to do it.
WR Table not being update its a shame and ridiculous.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Give bene the rights, he already has all wr recs in history of elma anyway.
I'm sure everyone would agree that bene is more than okay for doing the task, if he is up for it.
iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

I vote bene then
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

bene
39:37,91
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

As much as I love bene, I don't think it should be someone who actively plays ints for the same reason I wouldn't want to be the updater myself. I know from experience how frustrating it is to know a new style in an int, but you can't play it yourself because you would then be spoiling that style. Also, you can never discover it on your own since you saw the rec before, so even if you would have found it you won't ever get the chance to.

Imo updater should always be someone who doesn't actively play internals, and has no intention to look for new styles etc.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Kinda agree with igge here. Is there any reason why updater should be a max active internalist? IMO that can only do harm since teh man could no longer really play internals (kinda shady if know wr styles or approve own wrs, even if it's someone like bene). px for sure hasn't known shit about internals for ages, As far as I know he just checks the rec/runs the cheat detecting programs and then updates table.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

I vote markku then
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

But why cant somebody call to px, or talk to Skype? Or he is disappeared?

I don't understand a promlem, pls say me px cant update wrs because
1) he know about new wrs, but don't want
2) or because he don't know about new wrs
3) or because ...?
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I guess he knows about his duties but can't be arsed anymore. Abula, who is still somewhat active-ish in the sense that he attends FEMs and plays on EOL (though not battles), is a personal friend of his and I've tried to ask Abu to convince px to hand over the reins, but it seems Abu isn't comfortable with doing something about the situation either.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

In the Doom community there was a very similar situation. One day the admin of the "official" speedrunning website simply disappeared. People kept trying to send their demos (replays), days of waiting turned into months and then years... Only several years (a bit less than 10) later someone decided to finally take everything in their own hands. Obviously, by that time the overall enthusiasm wasn't terribly high. :P

Hope it doesn't happen with elma.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

To be honest, this has to happen right away, because if it takes any longer all enthusiasm is going to disappear, and fast. I'd nominate myself, but for obvious reasons that won't happen. A pro who doesn't play internals anymore would be ideal.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

I would choose kopaka or markko.
Team SPEED

Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Kopa and Markku are obvious, good and max trusted choices. If one of them is willing, it's high time to pass teh torch.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

I would rather to see here a conversation of real chances of Abula? talking with px to have a solution to this. We know the story here, we will talk and complain about this and then nothing will happen. So before giving opinions of who could carry out the wr updates, imo it would be better to discuss what can we do to have it updated. Because...how much wrs will be missed cuz not updating? How much time left? 4 months more? 1 year? Years? Its a shame.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I wouldnt want bene updates he is an ass. I dont actively internal btw. I am just playing bumpy when bored and that is not likely to change in the next few years. I actively tas. Tas is fun.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

I'm curious about some more details from WR makers, how long since you've sent WR's that are not currently updated and how many? Or if you don't want to talk about current ones, for the last update, how long before that update were the WR's sent? For a casual observer you might just think new WR's aren't being made that often, which makes it hard to know if there's something to improve upon.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

I sent in my WR in tag over 1 month ago, but I think there are other WRs that are far older.
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

I vote Ruben
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

IMO for the last 5 years it seems like an average of 3+ months for a WR onto table which is ridiculous.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

roope wrote:Abula, who is still somewhat active-ish in the sense that he attends FEMs and plays on EOL (though not battles), is a personal friend of his and I've tried to ask Abu to convince px to hand over the reins, but it seems Abu isn't comfortable with doing something about the situation either.
It has to be stressed though, that Abula is officially inactive internal-wise since about a decade -- when he decided to get the rights to see the WR recs.

I cannot remember if his Twin Peaks involvement was before or afterwards, however.

EDIT: I don't know if Markku is officially inactive in internals too, but I'm a big fan since his wcup-3 involvement and would give him all my money.
All bounces are equal, but some bounces are more equal than others.

i've just made head through poly; thought i'd share:
http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=323 http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=324
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

ley wrote:
roope wrote:Abula, who is still somewhat active-ish in the sense that he attends FEMs and plays on EOL (though not battles), is a personal friend of his and I've tried to ask Abu to convince px to hand over the reins, but it seems Abu isn't comfortable with doing something about the situation either.
It has to be stressed though, that Abula is officially inactive internal-wise since about a decade -- when he decided to get the rights to see the WR recs.

I cannot remember if his Twin Peaks involvement was before or afterwards, however.

EDIT: I don't know if Markku is officially inactive in internals too, but I'm a big fan since his wcup-3 involvement and would give him all my money.
When referencing Abula's semi-activity I mainly meant that it's still possible for us to get Abu to talk to px. Of course I wouldn't have other problems with Abula taking over the updating (it's his site after all) except his own activity, which might not be that much better than px.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

"When referencing Abula's semi-activity I mainly meant that it's still possible for us to get Abu to talk to px."
Yeah roope I know, but since Abu is officially inactive internal-wise, it's another plus for us!

"it's his site after all"
'their' site, actually (if I'm not mistaken)

"which might not be that much better than px."
I don't know. Is this based on facts, or are you just raising the doubt for general consideration?

http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=323 http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=324
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeps their site of course. I guess it's a good guesstimation that Abu wouldn't be that active as an updater either; he's got quite a busy life from what I know and hasn't really participated in contributing to any kind of scene stuff in years. He did promise all kinds of Moposite improvements waaaay back already and we haven't seen much of those either, so I guess that's a start when thinking how active he might be as a WR updater. On the other hand, updating WRs is a much more responsible and relatively simple job though, so dunno. Anyway, I just feel like he's in that "play just for fun and relax once in a while and go to see old friends in FEM" phase; would be a decent pit stop for WR updating job but not a long term solution.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

roope wrote:He did promise all kinds of Moposite improvements waaaay back already and we haven't seen much of those either
what i had got from it though, is that he would have wished for financial revenue in exchange of improvements made on the site; in other words, to make this some sort of paid job of his.

i cannot speak of his would-be motivation to wr-updating. as you said the job is much simpler, and furthermore i don't think we're in a good position to judge.

Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

I'm disappointed no one thinks I'm disqualified because I could make a WR one day.
ley wrote:
roope wrote:He did promise all kinds of Moposite improvements waaaay back already and we haven't seen much of those either
what i had got from it though, is that he would have wished for financial revenue in exchange of improvements made on the site; in other words, to make this some sort of paid job of his.

i cannot speak of his would-be motivation to wr-updating. as you said the job is much simpler, and furthermore i don't think we're in a good position to judge.
I think it was more a way of saying he had to prioritize paid jobs when it comes to time/motivation to do web development. Pretty sure he knows it's not realistic to raise that kind of money in elma scene.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

isn't it time to get rid of this nostalgia thing with weekly updates anyway? with a potential new and better EOL site, surely it would make sense to just have some newest wrs stream/list on front page or something, and a real time updating table it links to? it could be styled so like this last weeks wrs or whatever would have that "new" gray background highlight (but hopefully maybe it wouldn't hurt to also get rid of nostalgia wr table look? or maybe just make that some alternative link if not. wrs could be marked as unverfied or just not updated/valid/whatever until a rec is sent and checked by whoever. duno. feel like high time to unify all random stuff to one place, which seems like logically should be eol site.
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

I agree with skint, good idea in my opinion. What i can see after this topic is even more absence than ever, and i dont want to be negative, but i wont be really happy if px does a new wr update...to have two, eight or one year of new wrs not updated? hmm...
I think the wr situation is getting similar to Doom scene, as kucha said and if we keep having the wr table not updated and the guy who handles it, cant to do it (wich is totally acceptable and understandable), well, lets not have the table outdated for months and months and lets change it.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Also agree with skint, very good idea.
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

i also agree with skint's standardization idea. and, about the superfluousness of sticking to past ways.

what comes to prominence from this though, is the need to formulate an acceptable verification process. so as to avoid situations like stini's enigma entering the wr table. back then -- let us remember -- there was doubt on the part of the official updaters, and consequently the rec was shared on the forums in order for the community to decide.

i objected to it then, however, and i somewhat still find it deplorable to see such runs on the table. in cases of doubt, not only has there to be consensus (as was done in the enigma's case), but it has to be ensured that the official verifiers have elma-feeling enough to spot such borderline-valid cases.

Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

I'm sorry on behalf of Moposite crew. As Roope guessed correct I wouldn't do any better. I try to contribute Elma as best as I can when I have time for it but I don't want to promise to spend time for Elma frequently. Current plan is: participate Mopolauta discussions, fix Records and other big bugs, make the top10 links and write an article.

Csaba also had long breaks. It's very normal for people to low prioritize things like these when dealing with hobbies. Weekly updates would be boring because only 0-1 new WRs per table. After all I think px has done quite well if you look at the overall 10-15 years period. Everybody would do the job for the first 6 months but then real life can change etc. It's not that easy to teach a new buddy to do the job either.

But yes, I think we should be able to do the updates in 1-2 month depending on how many new ones there are.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

I think even updates that says ''no wrs to be updated'' is better than not updating table for 1month or more. Its stupid to think updating wr table rarely is better, just because ''1 new wr'' updates are ''boring''. No they arent.

Rare updates can ruin someones chance to ever get on wr table, because someone can beat his time when we have these 2 month updates.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

iltsu wrote:I think even updates that says ''no wrs to be updated'' is better than not updating table for 1month or more. Its stupid to think updating wr table rarely is better, just because ''1 new wr'' updates are ''boring''. No they arent.
Couldn't agree more with this. I guess it's not too much effort to post "no new wrs" if no e-mails arrive, so why not? It used to happen regularly and made the site seem more alive, aside from reassuring people that the tables are still taken care of :)
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

axxualy, I am always 'xtremely disappointed, when I see WR update with "no new WRs". From max excitement to lowest excitement in seconds. Would prefer not doing teh.
I'd accept it only if it'd somehow helped the WR updater (like maintaining his schedule or smth).
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

There could be a form that says: "No new WRs, last time checked 20 december". No need for a news item each time, just a place where you can see that px is actually doing his job.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Well px aint doing his job so someone else has to take over, end of story.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Look at Moposite :roll:
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Oh look at that http://moposite.com/news.php
Time to hoyl then!
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

The sad story starts again. (Again). Any idea?
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

No new WR-s.
this can also be imo. or you know something?)
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

What's the holdup with handing over WR tabel duty to someone else? This obv has a real impact on internal activity. Starting to look like it would be better if pexi's table is abandoned and WR table is hosted somewheer else.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I guess the hold-up is that to actually formally take over from him someone would need to get hold of him first........... :<

I guess the first step would be to get some thoughts/chance for intent from @Abula.