Mopolauta

Elasto Mania board
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 05:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Level of moderation
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 20:49 
Kuski

From the Idea: upgrade forum software to Discourse or nodeBB topic. Didn't reply in there at first, since it was kind of off topic. But thought we could have a discussion about what level of moderation we should have.

SveinR wrote:
Kopaka wrote:
[...] and some active mods.

Does anyone want to be a mod? And what should an active lauta moderator do in this day and age, enforce these rules with a strict hand?

If someone wants to be a mod send me a PM and we can make it happen.

So my reason for bringing it up in that topic is because I'd like to see more active moderation. Mostly warning, maybe even removing, off topic posts (including those "I don't care about this topic" posts). In a chronological forum thread like we have here, a few off topic posts can so easily derail a topic. Most likely the last couple posts are those you remember when reading through a topic and you reply to those, if off topic you may even unwittingly continue the off topic-ness. And the actual conversation is all but forgotten. In a forum like reddit off topic can easier be hidden away and not disturb the conversation happening.

You may argue that there's not that much activity on lauta anyway, so a few offtopic posts is no big deal, might even spark some extra activity. But I believe that removing the bad posts will actually spark more conversation, because they are not derailed.

Then there's small things like illegal signatures etc. Getting such cleaned up just makes things a little more pleasant.

Post subject: Re: Level of moderation
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 02:46 
Kuski

I've been lautaing quite a lot recently (and caught up with the majority of posts since 2014) and I have to say that it ain't that bad.

Illegal sigs defo. Actually I think this is probably the biggest issue nowadays. But again, not all bad. Those stupidly massive team DAT sigs were removed and aside from the occasional double userbars most users abide. But this is one of the things that should be kept under control imo.

Another thing that needs moderation is statuses! A few days ago several people were still awaiting status updates.

As for off-topic posting... Dunno, it feels OK to me! I don't think an occasional babble ruins conversations and can't recall a topic going off-topic. Removing posts would imo feel like people removing comments from their posts on Facebook, as if they were ashamed to have them on their walls. Seems silly and can quite easily lead to tensions when ppl start arguing that relevant content was removed, it's obviously hard to draw a line. I think the only case when posts should be removed is when they're clearly offensive, verbally aggressive, nsfw, etc. Also maybe "lol" posts.

Best Internal Total Times, Pipe stats & Pipe archive
World kuski map, World Cup stats

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 08:53 
Kuski

Well yeah it not that it's that bad, might mostly be those cases where someone is being offensive or overly negative that annoys me, people getting away with being a dick.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 10:31 
Kuski

Too bad that apparently norm moderators can't edit user statuses, something I was looking forward to actively do.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 14:24 
35mins club

Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. I am strongly against deleting any posts, that's stupid. If anyone ever deletes any of my posts, I will simply not post here anymore. If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.

I remember when Orcc became a mod and started to delete some messages, it was so silly and annoying. Instead of ":D" I had to write "Well, that was really funny." Point = ?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 16:59 
Kuski

Madness wrote:
Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. (...) If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.
+1

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 11:34 
Kuski

Madness wrote:
Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. I am strongly against deleting any posts, that's stupid. If anyone ever deletes any of my posts, I will simply not post here anymore. If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.

I remember when Orcc became a mod and started to delete some messages, it was so silly and annoying. Instead of ":D" I had to write "Well, that was really funny." Point = ?
+1

Best Internal Total Times, Pipe stats & Pipe archive
World kuski map, World Cup stats

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 18:46 
Kuski

what if everybody started doing that? and also typing :( if the post was bad, place would be a mess, removing those makes lauta more readable when your ":D" comes with 20 lines of avatar and signature

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 03:50 
39mins club

There should definitely be some moderation. I remember a handful of kuskis who would often ruin a topic for me and other people discussing there just because they were "bored". I totally agree with Kopaka.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 17:22 
Kuski

Maybe we should ask ourselves what the average number of posts per day is. On a normal day maybe 5? Sometimes there will be periods where that ":)" is the only thing posted in "replays and times" for 5 days straight. Moderating that level of activity is a bit silly to me, 5 posts a day probably couldn't ruin anything. since this is a very old school forum people are a bit set in there ways, more moderation would just upset the a big portion of the dwindling community that is left.

Perhaps I am unclear of what you wish to moderate? If it is moderating your perception of what constitutes off topic posts, then I would vote no on more moderating. However in a later post it seemed more like you just want to moderate your perception of what constitutes somebody being a dick, in which case I would need more information on what you feel being a dick is, or perhaps an example of somebody being a dick.