Level of moderation

Everything about Moposite. Wishes for new sections / updates etc. Please tell all bugs, errors you've found. Help us.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Level of moderation

Post by Kopaka »

From the Idea: upgrade forum software to Discourse or nodeBB topic. Didn't reply in there at first, since it was kind of off topic. But thought we could have a discussion about what level of moderation we should have.
SveinR wrote:
Kopaka wrote:[...] and some active mods.
Does anyone want to be a mod? And what should an active lauta moderator do in this day and age, enforce these rules with a strict hand?

If someone wants to be a mod send me a PM and we can make it happen.
So my reason for bringing it up in that topic is because I'd like to see more active moderation. Mostly warning, maybe even removing, off topic posts (including those "I don't care about this topic" posts). In a chronological forum thread like we have here, a few off topic posts can so easily derail a topic. Most likely the last couple posts are those you remember when reading through a topic and you reply to those, if off topic you may even unwittingly continue the off topic-ness. And the actual conversation is all but forgotten. In a forum like reddit off topic can easier be hidden away and not disturb the conversation happening.

You may argue that there's not that much activity on lauta anyway, so a few offtopic posts is no big deal, might even spark some extra activity. But I believe that removing the bad posts will actually spark more conversation, because they are not derailed.

Then there's small things like illegal signatures etc. Getting such cleaned up just makes things a little more pleasant.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: Level of moderation

Post by pawq »

I've been lautaing quite a lot recently (and caught up with the majority of posts since 2014) and I have to say that it ain't that bad.

Illegal sigs defo. Actually I think this is probably the biggest issue nowadays. But again, not all bad. Those stupidly massive team DAT sigs were removed and aside from the occasional double userbars most users abide. But this is one of the things that should be kept under control imo.

Another thing that needs moderation is statuses! A few days ago several people were still awaiting status updates.

As for off-topic posting... Dunno, it feels OK to me! I don't think an occasional babble ruins conversations and can't recall a topic going off-topic. Removing posts would imo feel like people removing comments from their posts on Facebook, as if they were ashamed to have them on their walls. Seems silly and can quite easily lead to tensions when ppl start arguing that relevant content was removed, it's obviously hard to draw a line. I think the only case when posts should be removed is when they're clearly offensive, verbally aggressive, nsfw, etc. Also maybe "lol" posts.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Well yeah it not that it's that bad, might mostly be those cases where someone is being offensive or overly negative that annoys me, people getting away with being a dick.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Too bad that apparently norm moderators can't edit user statuses, something I was looking forward to actively do.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. I am strongly against deleting any posts, that's stupid. If anyone ever deletes any of my posts, I will simply not post here anymore. If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.

I remember when Orcc became a mod and started to delete some messages, it was so silly and annoying. Instead of ":D" I had to write "Well, that was really funny." Point = ?
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

Madness wrote:Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. (...) If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.
+1
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Madness wrote:Off-topic is not an issue, at least the discussion is on and it's not so dead here. Moderation should be moderate, or none, we are all adult people. I am strongly against deleting any posts, that's stupid. If anyone ever deletes any of my posts, I will simply not post here anymore. If off-topic is getting out of hand and OP is not happy about that, moderator should ask people to stop it and if they don't, then take action. We don't need a dictator here, we need a mod with common sense who is respected by the community.

I remember when Orcc became a mod and started to delete some messages, it was so silly and annoying. Instead of ":D" I had to write "Well, that was really funny." Point = ?
+1
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

what if everybody started doing that? and also typing :( if the post was bad, place would be a mess, removing those makes lauta more readable when your ":D" comes with 20 lines of avatar and signature
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

There should definitely be some moderation. I remember a handful of kuskis who would often ruin a topic for me and other people discussing there just because they were "bored". I totally agree with Kopaka.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Maybe we should ask ourselves what the average number of posts per day is. On a normal day maybe 5? Sometimes there will be periods where that ":)" is the only thing posted in "replays and times" for 5 days straight. Moderating that level of activity is a bit silly to me, 5 posts a day probably couldn't ruin anything. since this is a very old school forum people are a bit set in there ways, more moderation would just upset the a big portion of the dwindling community that is left.

Perhaps I am unclear of what you wish to moderate? If it is moderating your perception of what constitutes off topic posts, then I would vote no on more moderating. However in a later post it seemed more like you just want to moderate your perception of what constitutes somebody being a dick, in which case I would need more information on what you feel being a dick is, or perhaps an example of somebody being a dick.
God Bless America
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Question:

Can moporators stick/unstick topics?

Also, roope posted some time ago that moporators can't edit user statuses. Is there any chance to add this permission to moporators?
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Moporators don't have sach glue
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Then the latter question gains even more weight: is it possible to change moporators' permissions?

The two things I mentioned are arguably the two parts of mopolauta that need "moderating" the most nowadays, and naturally with all 3 admins busy with life (and 2 of them almost entirely unreachable), that hardly ever gets done. I honestly believe it's killing the activity on lauta to a degree. For example, the GAA 2016 post is still sticky (over 9 months after the show now), but the GAA 2017 suggestions thread isn't, even though it was asked for 292 days ago...

Hoping for a concrete reply from Abula (or SveinR/px!). Thanks in advance!
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Pawq, the hero we need, but don't deserve?
I agree, I would like some status, even if just '38tt man'
could be nice
ToMaT
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Giving the sticky rights should be ez doable. About status editing I'm not totally sure, because then you would need partial access to the admin panel and moreover to the users. Well I suppose phpBB these days is quite advanced in restricting the rights to certain areas, but then again Mopolauta's version might not be very up to date.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I tried finding a setting to enable Moporators to change topics to sticky but to no avail.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

wtf can moporators even do lol : D

(another reason to consider this)
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Now wategak is this, Sla locked one random tropic to test if lock button works?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9794

This kinda moderation is worse than no moderation.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I think it was a fair moderation.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I like how Sla signed off as though his name wasn't already there twice.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Normally when moderators hev felt super enthusiastik, they hev moved tropics to trash lauta instead.

- Lousku
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

Not only very poor moderation but hypocritical too. It was a popular thread with replies from many people. It's very anal to call such a thing useless, and even being a person who himself created similar, less popular threads.

Kinda makes me feel all my efforts on lauta are a waste. I vote to remove Sla as moporator.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9794
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Moving a trash topic to trash is kinda like allowing people to continue posting trash. "Here, you can act retarded all you want, we'll even put it on display!". The true way to ruin the fun for them is to close it. Then they can't do anything.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

kuchitsu wrote:Moving a trash topic to trash is kinda like allowing people to continue posting trash. "Here, you can act retarded all you want, we'll even put it on display!". The true way to ruin the fun for them is to close it. Then they can't do anything.
like this guy: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9584
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020