IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

pawq
39mins club
Team: TR

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by pawq » 18 Oct 2018, 16:47

Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017) - 6/10
A pretty enjoyable anime feature, but nowhere near the Ghibli classics.

Hell or High Water (2016) - 6/10
Very well-acted kinda modern western, with an engaging and emotional enough story. Unfortunately, both the characters and the story were rather flat, nothing particularly exciting. Still, worth a watch maybe, but I wouldn't say it's worth the Best Film oscar nomination.

Assassin's Creed (2016) - 5/10
This was actually better than expected. I think it's probably at least partly because I've played the first few games, so I'm familiar with the story and the concepts and they make sense in my head. But I can imagine that for someone unfamiliar with AC the film would be total gibberish.

Babylon A.D. (2008) - 4/10
Very uninventive and questionable story, with lots of very wild concepts and assumptions without almost any explanation or reasoning. But, Vin Diesel and the girl are pretty cool, and there was some nice cinematography here and there. Not total annoying, but overall rather poor.

Need for Speed (2014) - 4/10
No more, no less than what you'd expect from an NFS film :D But, having said that, it wasn't all bad. The lead actor and accompanying actress were both pretty enjoyable in terms of play and motivations, they were kinda relatable, which can't be said for two of the previous films I wrote about. But yeah, just another game-based flick.

Loveless (2017) - 4/10
Wow, this was disappointing. A nominee for the best foreign film, 7.7/86 ratings... Completely ununderstandable for me. I don't mind films with little-to-no action, but this was such a fucking borefest. I couldn't wait for it to finish after 30mins already, and nothing changed later on. Not only 0 action (in any sense of the word), but 0 emotions too. I can imagine that the concept behind the film was to make the audience feel what it was trying to convey (an emotionless society), but all it achieved was being annoying. There are many films that triggered me to think about the meaning of life and what is happiness and bla bla without actually trying, and this film did that to a much lesser extent, while seemingly that was its sole purpose. So quite a failure imo. Tho would be interested to hear from someone who liked it.

Also finally did a mini-marathon of the Disney-era SW films (only saw ep. VII so far, once in the cinema) (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - 6/10 -> 6/10
I'm actually surprised that it's still a 6, given how many things I hate about this film. I guess the nostalgia factor gets to me too to an extent, or maybe some parts of it were actually nice. I don't want to write an essay about all the things I disliked (I could though...), so I'll stick to the main point, which is also contrasting with ep. VIII, which I'll write about in a moment: this film did not attempt to establish anything new. It's hard for me to articulate what exactly I mean. Examples though: new protagonist - a new "chosen one" that previously struggled to survive on a desert planet and also had no previous contact or knowledge of the Jedi osv. New villain - another guy in a black cape and mask, aspiring to be cool like the old villain. New villain overlord - another guy in posh clothes and with a severely damaged face, but this time he's projected BIG, because he has to give a BIGGER impression than the old villain overlord (who, by the way, was fucking iconic). New evil faction - looks pretty much the same as the old evil faction, even though the old evil faction was supposedly destroyed when its emperor was killed. It has a new name, a new general, and that's about it. New villain weapon - a bigger and sillier version of the old villain weapon. New rebel and evil ships - well, no new ships. The main supporting protagonists - the old supporting protagonists (Han osv). New formidable villain general - a cutesy redhead boi used to playing in romantic comedies (and fitting them well). About as formidable as my gf's teddy bear. LITERALLY THE WORST-CAST CHARACTER I HAVE EVER SEEN. And the story held together so poorly. It took Luke years and 3 films to achieve some level of proficiency with the force and lightsabers. But, somehow, it took Rey and Finn like an hour. Also, it turns out that stormtroopers are now trained abducted children, as opposed to clones with accelerated growth, because apparently... Well, apparently what? Literally no reason for that, other than that it was needed for the plot that somebody came up with. Because it's stupid for so many reasons that I won't even bother listing them (so here you go: even more costly, because normal rate of growth, and the empire can obviously afford literally anything because they can afford a literally planet-sized weapon, risk of genetic and other diseases and imperfections, as opposed to a perfect soldier every time, risk of a rebellion (YOU DON'T SAY)...). Oke, I'm done ranting (though I could go for much longer), hopefully you know what I mean by now. The whole film was riding purely on nostalgia that people would have from the old films, and apparently nostalgia is enough to rate a film 8/10 on average. I liked Rey though, she's a cool character.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - 8/10
Amazingly, a complete 180 degree shift from the preceding film. This film DID try to establish something for itself, even if it did it clumsily and with universe-sized plot holes. I was very engaged throughout the film, it gave the viewer enough time to establish some emotional connection with the characters. It's these long shots on faces that the preceding film was missing. It wasn't riding on nostalgia anymore. It made some references to the old films, but that's what they were - references, rather than copied ideas. I don't even have that much to say about this film, because it simply worked well. It kept me focused on the story and on the action, not on all the film-making elements that were wrong. I was so pleased with it that I'm willing to forgive it how carelessly it toyed with the well-established lore, by introducing elements like real-time cross-universe video calls, spectral apparitions from beyond the grave making physical contact with the world, real-time cross-universe 100%-realistic body projection, someone inexperienced with the force using it to survive and transport themselves through open space, or fucking hyperspace collisions. Similar to a rebelling Stormtrooper, it seems that Disney is willing to ignore any existing lore for the sake of the story they come up with. But, as I said, this makes me more optimistic as to the direction they might be taking SW in. Though not overly optimistic.

Rogue One (2016) - 7/10
Treating it mostly like a separate spin-off, so it was reasonably enjoyable. Some enjoyable moments in the story, some idiotic ones, but overall fun film.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - 7/10
Treating it mostly like a separate spin-off, so it was reasonably enjoyable. Some enjoyable moments in the story, some idiotic ones, but overall fun film.

John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John » 25 Oct 2018, 03:03

Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
Very well acted and executed. Rami Malek could possibly get an Oscar nomination for this one. Slightly streamlined, made for the a wide audience, but still closer to a 9 than a 7.

Tigro
Kuski
Team: Valan?

Post by Tigro » 31 Oct 2018, 11:24

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 7/10
I mean, it is a fine movie, it was just too disturbing for me. Everyone who saw it told me - "there is very much nudity and profanity" osv. And I was like nah, it can't be that bad. Now I understand what they meant. I'd say 50 shades is nothing compared to this. Also good Scorsese and DiCaprio and Robbie and whatnot.

Stronger (2017) - 5/10
I like Gyllenhall very much and LOVE Tatiana Maslany, but this.... nah. It was a good look into a redneck's life, especially his mother was a great example, but the whole movie felt underpar.

Patriot's day (2016) - 7/10
This was better than Stronger, even though it addressed the different aspect of the same event. I know Wahlberg might seem borefest with all these real-life movies he starred in (Deepwater Horizon osv), but I like to know more about historical events and this at least magnifies them in a way I know what happened there and have some relation to it.

Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero » 1 Nov 2018, 09:50

The Wolf of Wall Street has been confirmed to be very close to the real events. That doesn't necessarily have to make the movie any more enjoyable to watch but it's a pretty interesting aspect to understand. The movie is packed with some crazy shit lol.

I personally love the film :)
Last edited by Zero on 1 Nov 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
:bear: Image Image Image :bear:

Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero » 1 Nov 2018, 09:51

Guys I have been very absent from the movie scene for quite a while. Any recent titles that you'd recommend?
:bear: Image Image Image :bear:

pawq
39mins club

Post by pawq » 1 Nov 2018, 10:57

pawq
39mins club

Post by pawq » 9 Nov 2018, 01:53

Rewatched all HP movies in the last couple of weeks:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001) - 9/10 (from 9/10)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) - 6/10
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - 8/10
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) - 8/10
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) - 9/10
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) - 9/10
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010) - 7/10 (from 5/10)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) - 8/10 (from 5/10)

Haven't seen 2-6 since opened IMDb account (Nov 2010), and 7a/7b only saw in the cinema, so it's been long, too long! Very :') all the way :)

Also:

Ready Player One (2018) - 7/10
Nothing special, but fun from all the game and film references, and I really liked the message of it.

Unthinkable (2010) - 7/10
I think I've never seen such a divisive film in terms of reviews (almost all either 1-2 or 8-9). Understandably controversial. I must say it gave me a lot of food for thought, and not just about the old question "is torture morally acceptable under any circumstances", but mainly about how we might not be willing to do something that is for the greater good because it is morally unacceptable. I think most of the critics of it either don't have the emotional capacity, or the willingness, to explore this philosophical theme. Though I do agree with many other points of critique against this film, as in many ways it was a B-cat movie at best (casting beyond the 3 leading characters, dear god...). Still, "enjoyable" enough to watch (as enjoyable as a film about torture can be).

Tigro
Kuski
Team: Valan?

Post by Tigro » 14 Nov 2018, 22:50

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - 8/10
It was basically a "typical" movie about a music band. But it was done very well. The music was great so I went on and cried a bit. Rami Malek absolutely nailed his role.
Too bad they didn't go more into Freddie's (or any other band member's) personal life, all those wild parties and drug shenanigans osv. It just scratched the surface. But what they gave us was really stunning.
Recommended watch.