Low-carb diet

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ile
Kuski
Posts: 138
Joined: 11 Feb 2014, 16:56

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by ile » 8 Dec 2015, 11:06


User avatar
nick-o-matic
Kuski
Posts: 851
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 12:53
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by nick-o-matic » 10 Dec 2015, 15:17

Zweq wrote:so which coconut and olive oil products acquirable in finland would be najs
I just use pure cold pressed olive oil and coconut oil. I think it's important to choose oils so that you do get more omega 3 than omega 6 fats. I think bad omg3/omg6 ratio causes chronic low level inflammation in body and omega 3 replacement by omega 6 in brain and stuff. But if you eat really much omega 3 it thinnens your blood so that's not good either.
Zweq wrote:orka make new thread for this question: what is a norm daily amount of vitamin d? finland mans say 10μg which is 400IU("Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 μg cholecalciferol/ergocalciferol" source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_unit), reddit mans say 5000-10000IU. finland mans say you wil DIE if you eat over 10μg (400IU) . So, even 5000IU sounds really insane, it would be like 20 pills of the vitamin D(D3) product i have.
A quite big portion of ppl in Fin have too low vitamin D levels and low vitamin D levels have been associated with many serious diseases, for example Alzheimer's and dementia, so I think it's quite baffling how in Fin the professionals have been more like warning about overdoses instead of emphasizing the importance of adequate vitamin D intake. But I dunno about megadosing (10000IU and stuff). It probably doesn't matter but I think it probably doesn't have benefits either. I think (think, don't really know) that something like 20-50μg per day is nice. If you want to be sure I think it's cheapish to measure your blood vitamin levels in a private hospital. Btw you can get vitamin D really cheap from www.iherb.com, use NOK346 coupon code for -10$ discount for your first order!!! :beer:
Ye I'm aware of that BBC show. I think it's fine if you don't like low carb high fat but it's not fine if you base your opinion on that show. http://dawnwaldron.com/2014/01/30/fats- ... e-horizon/

User avatar
Zweq
34mins club
Posts: 4028
Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Location: suo mesta

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Zweq » 10 Dec 2015, 16:01

ive read omagad6 to omagad3 4:1 ratio is oke. No idea how to get teh, maby just dont care and just eat fish many times a week
Image

User avatar
Zweq
34mins club
Posts: 4028
Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Location: suo mesta

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Zweq » 19 Aug 2016, 16:27

inpsired from meeting nom IRL and seeing what he eats and how he does, I'm trying low carb again, for 2 weeks so far. I'm trying to stay in keto as much as possible, but it's surprisingly difficult. Diet consists of unprocessed meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables (spinach, broccoli, (<- these 2 bros are the pros), lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage, occasional carrot(damn huge stock from before), occasional red bell pepper, occasional tomatoes, occasional onion, occasional zucchini) and fats (butter, coconut oil, olive oil and macadamia oil). I also have a stock of yogurt and cheese, but tbh I think I'll try to quit dairy next, with the exception of butter. Cream with lactose I can't even use without getting stomach issues, and I figure if such problem exists, why even bother trying lactosefree / dairy at all. tldr: i try to stick to vegs with fat as much as possible, with just a bit of meat.

Also tried intermittent fasting for 4 days with a cheaty morning butter coffee (this was actually my own idea, then I googled about it and it's a well known one o_o). Intermittent fasting taught me I was a victim of emotional/habitual eating, feels like for the first time in a few years I have the control. Feels like for me fasting was the key, pasibly not the diet... as if I was putting my body under huge stress dumping food in "religiously" and then trying to burn it by jogging, duno. I think I ate breakfast porridge for about 3 years religiously, even if not particularly hungry, and open youtube and have my "moment", just like I had my "moment" yesterday, and day before that... and before that. Feels good to have a break from that for sure.

Anyway why I got the idea to post here was because I wanted to ask how to deal with constipation? :P, It's like the only downside of this diet I've encountered, while fixing 10+ other things.
Image

User avatar
Igge
38mins club
Posts: 6341
Joined: 7 Apr 2007, 12:15
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Igge » 19 Aug 2016, 18:58

For autumn/winter im gonna try to eat healthy as well, as well as go back to the gym. I miss the feeling of having a healthy body; it really affects your physical and mental well being. Not that I'm suffering right now, but I know I miss the feeling anyway.

As for constipation Zweq, I think fiber is key. You say you used to eat a lot of porridge which is a good source of fiber, but now you stopped. There are however some people who claim the opposite, but my suggestion would be to try it yourself and see what works. Google for fiber-rich vegetables, nuts and fruits etc and you'll find plenty)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages

User avatar
8-ball
39mins club
Posts: 4495
Joined: 9 May 2003, 13:30
Team: MiE
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by 8-ball » 20 Aug 2016, 06:20

I dropped 14kg in 3 months with keto + intermittent fasting. Stopped when the fruit and veg season was on, thinking of going back now to return to the increased levels of baseline energy I experienced when on keto. Constipation is alleviated by simply eating more fiber rich vegetables imo, such as spinach, Brussels sprouts and green peas (watch the carbs carefully to stay in ketosis, though). Every meal of mine would be at least 50% veggies weight-wise (mostly lettuce, cucumber and some cherry tomatoes). Don't know how I'd deal with all of that without generously added sour cream, though.

I eat about 50g almonds every day to also help with the fiber. I supplement with a multivitamin, cod liver oil and additional vitamin D.

My only worry still is the cholesterol from eggs and lots of red meat. There seems to be a shortage of scientifically backed information on whether it's something to worry about.
39:37,91

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 20 Feb 2021, 02:59

I see many studies/trials have been done since this topic was created, and they prove it makes people lose weight and lean out based on results. The science behind it makes sense - no carbs, so the body burns fat first. Will try out for a bit and see if i like it.
God Bless America

User avatar
abruzzi
Kuski
Posts: 1415
Joined: 17 Sep 2007, 21:07

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by abruzzi » 20 Feb 2021, 11:39

gimp wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 02:59
I see many studies/trials have been done since this topic was created, and they prove it makes people lose weight and lean out based on results. The science behind it makes sense - no carbs, so the body burns fat first. Will try out for a bit and see if i like it.
u a bit overweight? always imagined u as a yankee soldier
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 20 Feb 2021, 20:06

I am 73kg and 173 cm. Used to be in US Army, much better shape then obviously.
God Bless America

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 24 Feb 2021, 05:58

2nd day in and im already struggling. Feel kinda faint and irritable
God Bless America

User avatar
Zweq
34mins club
Posts: 4028
Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Location: suo mesta

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Zweq » 25 Feb 2021, 07:31

Electrolyte supplement could help in the beginning. Good luk.
Image

User avatar
Igge
38mins club
Posts: 6341
Joined: 7 Apr 2007, 12:15
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Igge » 26 Feb 2021, 14:55

I think Zweq might be onto something.

From video below it seems that Keto leads to a bigger loss of water weight (compared to plant-based) at the beginning, where faintness + irritableness (and possibly headaches etc) could point to lack of hydration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsSHzTsG4wY

It's an interesting study, but full disclosure I'm very fond of Rohin Francis/Medlife Chrisis in general so only taking his video and not looking it up myself from the source might lead to biases.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 26 Feb 2021, 17:51

Okay thanks guys i have ordered some
God Bless America

User avatar
ribot
Not banned
Posts: 2384
Joined: 19 May 2002, 16:20
Location: Miranda: the true state
Contact:

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by ribot » 2 Mar 2021, 19:34

gimp wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 02:59
I see many studies/trials have been done since this topic was created, and they prove it makes people lose weight and lean out based on results. The science behind it makes sense - no carbs, so the body burns fat first. Will try out for a bit and see if i like it.
How does this relate to your other ideas that "You shouldnt accept all your imaginations without first using logic to prove them, otherwise they are just fantasies."

And like logic was supported to prevent you from believing in your imaginary ideas?

I read that keto scars the heart tissue https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... n-in-rats/
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 2 Mar 2021, 23:17

I read some studies which used logic to support the idea that the keto diet helps lose weight. I am accepting someone else's idea after they proved it with logic/human trials/statistics. If that is somehow proven wrong by better logic, I have no problem saying the diet is stupid. hard to combat math and real results though.

My plan is to do the diet for 6 months, I have been in nutritional-ketosis for a few days. Perhaps there are bad health side effects after a long term on this diet, doubtful short term though.
God Bless America

User avatar
Grace
38mins club
Posts: 4791
Joined: 19 Nov 2005, 10:45
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Grace » 3 Mar 2021, 11:28

I wouldn't exactly say that I'm deliberately or attentively fasting/dieting, but I've dropped nearly 30Kg in the past ~15 months. Part of this is due to effects of HRT, partly from fasting (bad eating habits / ED) and partly from eating a lot better. We are working at reducing carbs in diet though.
Image Cyberscore! Image
___________________________________________________
Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 19 WC, 24 Pro, 5 Good | 37 Australian Records | AvgTT: 40:09:92

User avatar
Zweq
34mins club
Posts: 4028
Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Location: suo mesta

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Zweq » 3 Mar 2021, 12:59

Imo diets are a complex subject that depends what the goals are and what variables are in pley, that should always all be established / mentioned before discussing anything at al.

For example you can be in keto by just not eating anything for days, also known as fasting, or you could be eating fatty meals once every 4h. You could be low carb, but eating a lot of meat protein. You could be vegan but eating veg pizzas and drinking bear.

If there is one thing I've learned though it's that fasting is extremely powerful and nowadays underrated tool.
Image

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 3 Mar 2021, 23:24

Zweq wrote:
3 Mar 2021, 12:59
If there is one thing I've learned though it's that fasting is extremely powerful and nowadays underrated tool.
I think so too
God Bless America

User avatar
ribot
Not banned
Posts: 2384
Joined: 19 May 2002, 16:20
Location: Miranda: the true state
Contact:

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by ribot » 4 Mar 2021, 08:32

gimp wrote:
2 Mar 2021, 23:17
I read some studies which used logic to support the idea that the keto diet helps lose weight. I am accepting someone else's idea after they proved it with logic/human trials/statistics. If that is somehow proven wrong by better logic, I have no problem saying the diet is stupid. hard to combat math and real results though.

My plan is to do the diet for 6 months, I have been in nutritional-ketosis for a few days. Perhaps there are bad health side effects after a long term on this diet, doubtful short term though.
Well it's easy to use better logic than to base your idea on some arbitrary studies. If you just pick some studies that you find that support your ideas it's called cherry picking. Science would never accept that, since you would need to pick the studies from a logical and netural point of view. There are many false ideas spread through cherry picking, because it's biased.

Have you for exampled looked for studies that refute your idea?

Another point is also that intellectuals seem to think they understand studies because the studies make sense to them. However, not being educated in the field almost certainly means you don't grasp the study. You could try it out to fact check your understanding with someone educated.

So I would argue you're not really using logic to take this action. Though I'm not saying you have to use logic to take action in life, but rather that you don't really use logic to prevent yourself from believing in imaginary ideas.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 5 Mar 2021, 03:29

im flattered you think i am an intellectual ribot (if thats what you meant).

To answer your question, I have looked for studies that take a sample of humans and track their status throughout the course of the diet from sources like ncbi.gov or Harvard, i looked at these not sure if they would show weight loss or no weight loss. And they showed weight loss. I didnt see any trials of humans being tracked that showed no weight loss on a ketogenic diet. If you have one, feel free to share, i can change my mind when the evidence is there.

I try to be objective, not cherry picking anything.
God Bless America

User avatar
Igge
38mins club
Posts: 6341
Joined: 7 Apr 2007, 12:15
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by Igge » 5 Mar 2021, 08:48

Zweq wrote:
3 Mar 2021, 12:59
Imo diets are a complex subject that depends what the goals are and what variables are in pley, that should always all be established / mentioned before discussing anything at al.

For example you can be in keto by just not eating anything for days, also known as fasting, or you could be eating fatty meals once every 4h. You could be low carb, but eating a lot of meat protein. You could be vegan but eating veg pizzas and drinking bear.

If there is one thing I've learned though it's that fasting is extremely powerful and nowadays underrated tool.
Very true. Its funny how often i used to get asked for recipes because I'm vegetarian, and people wanted it because they wanted to eat more healthily. Back then i ate chips and candy often, and lived on store-bought tortellini, processed vego "meat" and canned sauces))

I think some general overarching rules are:
If you want to lose weight, count calories.
If you want to gain weight, count calories.
If you want to eat healthy, avoid processed foods.
If you want to be healthy, eat as above and also exercise moderately and move your body regularly.

Then maybe a specific diet on top of this can provide some minor differences, but I do feel like most diet fads are made to sell you stuff rather than actually help you.
Sure, if you do all above + diet the diet could help some percent, or following a diet could also make you take the above points more seriously because you set up maybe 10w goals or so, but in general just use common sense and discipline and you should be fine.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages

User avatar
gimp
Kuski
Posts: 1113
Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47

Re: Low-carb diet

Post by gimp » 5 Mar 2021, 17:25

Seems good general advice igge.

With my diet now i just keep same level of calories and count carbs instead. Exercise I am doing some push ups, squats, and non weight exercises cause my body is all fucked up.
God Bless America

Post Reply