I need a keyboard, pls recommend

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

I need a keyboard, pls recommend

Post by Labs »

Led lightning, non-mechanical, and letting me press more than 2 numpad keys at same time.

Pls recommend.

(current one is Revoltec LightBoard XL3) -> https://www.emag.hu/revoltec-lightboard ... DZ4VBMBBM/ -> if pressing num8 and num5 at same time with num4 or num6, it wont do the num 4 and num 6 (like gas and brake and right volt will not do the volting)
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: I need a keyboard, pls recommend

Post by pawq »

Out of curiosity, why not mechanical? Ever tried one?
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

pawq wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:25 Out of curiosity, why not mechanical? Ever tried one?
Heard is harder to press button to activate it especially when not pushing the middle of button but the side of it, also keypress sounds are louder. Dunno if its true information, friend told me, i never had one.
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Labs wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:48Heard is harder to press button to activate it especially when not pushing the middle of button but the side of it
There are different types of mechanical switches, where both the required force and the response (smooth, tactile, heavily tactile - nothing to do with noise here) vary. Plenty of info about switches on the internet, example chart:

I have tactile (bumpy) click but without the added click sound (razer orange switches, I guess equivalent of MX brown), and they are louder than most membrane keyboards I used, but not by much. But yeah, if noise really annoys you, then mechanical switches might not be ideal. BUT, I think most users of mechanical keyboards will tell you that they're infinitely superior to membrane when it comes to typing and gaming feel, because of how repeatable and precise the clicking mechanism is. Also they don't feel like poop after a couple of years when the membrane is worn (as any rubber would be). In my experience of plenty of membrane keyboards and several mechanical ones, it's actually easier to press the key, but ofc it'll depend on the exact switches or model you go for. Still, if you prefer silent and light keys, there are mechanical switches designed for that :)

Overall I think mechanical keyboards are one of those things where once you try it, you never wanna go back, because only then you realise how shit the alternative is. So highly recommended!

As for particular models, I highly recommend Razer Blackwidow Elite if you're not feeling too stingy (literally perfect for literally everything, couldn't complain about anything even if I wanted to, also popular among elmers, at least danitah, AKB and Raven have it). Great build quality, great switches and keys, great RGB backlight with really decent software, great wristrest (didn't know I needed it but wow), great audio controls and volume wheel, blabla.

Do not recommend: Cooler Master SK651. Was stoked for it, but actually returned. Utter shit for typing, since the keys are completely flat and impossibly close to each other, so half the time you'll fatfinger another key. Also no wristrest but very high bottom row of keys, so half the time you'll press some Ctrl with bottom of hand.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

https://marvo-tech.hk/index.php?c=conte ... t&catid=17 these guys have membrane too it seems
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

pawq wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 23:58 Overall I think mechanical keyboards are one of those things where once you try it, you never wanna go back, because only then you realise how shit the alternative is. So highly recommended!
Agree with pawq, and this is the most important part imo. Membrane keyboards are usually low quality and not very well built (and not only the cheapest ones, sadly). Due to daily elmaing, numpad keys stuck/broke/died roughly after 1 year on my previous membrane keyboards. My current keyboard is mechanical and it's 2 years old now, and it still feels and looks like brand new.

I have a Hama uRage Cyberboard at work, and it works well, and it's a massive build at least. It can be a good alternative, however i'm not satisfied with its lighting, it's not very bright, and the lighting options are very limited. I usually use it with green lighting, because that's the brightest mode i found.
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

I bought this: Gamdias Hermes P1 RGB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=985&v=A ... e=youtu.be
https://www.gamdias.com/gear/index.php/ ... mes-p1-rgb

Yes is mechanical, but i give it a try. If dont like i gonna send it back and get some razer membrane one. (Razer Cynosa V2 / razer cynoza lite).

Thanks for input guyz!

Edit: I just see that the hungarian version is coming with blue switches, so i buy Gamdias Hermes M1 instead, which has brown switches.
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Nice, welcome to the bright side =D
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

I bought a mechanical keyboard, because I wanted to feel like a gamer. What a joke! Impsy, also there was no numpad on it which i realized after i bought it :D
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

Well, i got it, but will send back asap :(

1. Keys are too loud for me, especially this metal surface makes it even louder (pressing space is like i hammering)
2. Keys are too high for me, i used to half-big ones, so is very unpleasant to play with

Even with the problems above, i could be used to, if the third problem is not there.

3. This 21-key ghosting is a lie, only place where it worked halfly is arrows (gas+brake+right volt ->workared, gas+brake+left volt-> unworkared)

At least got some experience with it guess.
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Just pls don't get discouraged for mechanical keyboards in general because of one ungreat one)
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Solutions exist
Labs wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:03 1. Keys are too loud for me, especially this metal surface makes it even louder (pressing space is like i hammering)
Rubber O-rings
Labs wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:03 2. Keys are too high for me, i used to half-big ones, so is very unpleasant to play with
Wrist rest
Labs wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:03 3. This 21-key ghosting is a lie, only place where it worked halfly is arrows (gas+brake+right volt ->workared, gas+brake+left volt-> unworkared)
Better keyboard
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

i think he means that the size of the keys is the problem and that's not gonna change with a wrist rest

however good topic. any recommendations for cheap mechanical keyboard that still is oke?
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

ofta wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 02:16 i think he means that the size of the keys is the problem and that's not gonna change with a wrist rest

however good topic. any recommendations for cheap mechanical keyboard that still is oke?
Ye, currently i have low profile keycaps, which im very used to. There is very few low profile mechanical keyboards are, could buy keycaps but then there is the hungarian áő etc keys would be missing.

I can just recommend not to buy what i did, if you see metal surfaced one, dont buy it :P Also N-key support is a must as i see.

Currently im waiting on the Razer cynosa v2, low profile membrane one with N-key support. Should do the job for me.
Team SPEED

tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

ofta wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 02:16 i think he means that the size of the keys is the problem and that's not gonna change with a wrist rest
Raising your hand is effectively lowering the key
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Hand position is pretty much irrelevant in the low-profile vs high-profile debate, it's about how it feels moving fingers between keys. I used low-profile keyboards for ages (basically non-stop from when I started using computers until a couple of years ago), and that was why I initially bought the Cooler Master one when wanted to upgrade to mechanical switches. But that one was horrible, and it seemed like the best one from all the others was teh Razer BlackWidow, so decided to go for it and try to get used to high-profile keys. That by itself took no time at all, probably partly thanks to the sheer awesomeness of mechanical switches, but it meant that I had to change my elma brake key, because couldn't operate down+up arrows with the same finger anymore (the gap is like 7mm, with some 3mm height difference), and that took a couple of months to get used to... But worth it in the end 8)

Still, can totally understand if someone prefers low-profile keys. But it's unfortunate if they're missing out on mechanical switches as a result :(
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

Just got the Razer cynosa v2 and its almost perfect, keys are just a bit higher than before (some 1mm), which is oke. N-key thingy works perfectly, i can do gas+brake+volt+anything now! Lights are perfect and configurable very good in the software. Keytapping sound is even lower than the Revoltec one. There is no hungarian keys for these, which is a bit sad. Overall i give 8/10 on it and staying with that.
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Well, at least a Razer :D
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

https://tesorotec.com/project/gram-spec ... -keyboard/

Why i didnt find this before? :( Well, next time maybe..

(low-profile mechanical red or blue switch, available in hungarian layout, n-key rollover, custom lights, oke price)
Team SPEED

insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

If you press hard while playing, DON'T get Corsair K55 RGB. The housing of the left arrow key broke off after a year or so (basically after warranty expired).
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Ducky's MECHANICAL keyboards are the best of the best <3
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE