Know your PC

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

A.K.B.
37mins club

Re: Know your PC

Post by A.K.B. »

My purchased all bits separate. PSU is nice thermaltake. kthxbai
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
goofu
Kuski

Post by goofu »

AKB,
always do I find you're insights very valuable. Thank you for making the world an better place.
TT: 45:43:64
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Over 4 years since my last gaming build I'm looking to build a new one to handle high end gaming on a 4K TV while staying as silent as possible. Will use my old one for work and light gaming at the office so no parts to salvage besides a HDD. In no rush so will probably pick up parts one by one as I find discounts and price drops on Amazon using The Camelizer extension. If anyone can recommend alternative parts that'd be cool.

Currently the build looks like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€339.90 @ Caseking)
Going all out as I wanna enjoy CPU-heavy games like Stellaris (endgame gets pretty laggy) and OC just for the fun of it.

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€82.90 @ Caseking)
Wanted to go with liquid cooling at first but after some research looks like air cooling will be more quiet and possibly even more efficient for my needs. This is one of the quietest even when OCing that I've read about.

Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€160.17 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Not sure about this one, but it looks nice. Seems a bit overkill since I don't expect to ever need SLI.

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€132.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
4 years ago I bought 16 gigs of RAM for about €60. This is nuts.

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€317.04 @ Mindfactory)
Want to store most of my games on SSD for faster loading etc. SanDisk (etc) are quite much cheaper but benchmark sites show those to be quite significantly slower.

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card (€722.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)
This should be able to handle Star Citizen, DiRT Rally, GTA V, Skyrim Special Edition, Fallout 4 (with high res texture pack), PUBG, The Witcher 3 and pretty much anything else I throw at it for years to come, at 4K and max settings.

Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case (€135.78 @ Mindfactory)
I like the classy look but would maybe prefer a similar case with a PSU cover (along with hot-swap for storage drives)

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Doesn't display the price for it atm for some reason which is about €110. Gold will pay off in the long run given how expensive electricity is getting in my country. And I heard it's pretty quiet.

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (€36.90 @ Caseking)
Might be useful now and then.

Total: €1928.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-05 18:49 CEST+0200

With the PSU it comes out at a little over €2K which is kind of what I expected. I expect this to satisfy my needs for much longer than 4 years this time.
39:37,91
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Bought a pc a few months ago, was looking at the i7-7700k as well for a long time but eventually went with a ryzen 7 1700x for smoother multi tasking. The i7 is definitely still king if the main focus is gaming. But depending on your use case the ryzen is worth considering since the future seems to include more cores in most cpus, and applications may become more optimized for that. The motherboard I was planning on for the i7 was the Asus ROG Strix Z270F, which seemed to strike a nice price/performance balance. Around the same price it seems, and not much different, but nicer looking imo :p

One thing to note about the PSU is that it has capacitors on the cables, which makes sleeving a bitch if you plan on that.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

11GB ram on the new GTX? shieeeet :mrgreen:

looks like a sick build but a bit overkill in some places :p I guess needed for 4k tho. I built mine 3 years ago (top i5 at the time, 16gb ram, gtx 770 4gb) and it still works beautifully with everything on almost-fullhd (1680x1050). Playing the witcher 3 on ultra settings and most of the time 25fps+ (only gets lower at head closeups, hair messes it up =D)

also dongad that extension, seems sick :O
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

I guess sleeving is not really all that noticeable if I end up getting a case with a PSU cover?
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

dont get mobo from msi, i got one and they have memory compatibility problems even with memories that they list as supported on their site. my 3200 is running at 1600 atm and been waiting for bios update forever, many others have similar issues as well. when i researched mobos everyone was recommending msi i dunno why. would also look into mobo with dual bios since new hardware might in general not work optimally so if you have to flash bios its good to have another one so you cant brick your board.

i got phanteks enthoo pro case and it looks pretty similar to the one you picked (maybe not in photos but irl imo quite similar look), has psu cover and has gotten very good reviews
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i wouldnt buy 1tb ssd, but sure if you want to throw money away ;) after 2.5 years i still havent filled my 128gb ssd and i put games i play a lot in him
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Easy to say. The Witcher 3 takes almost 50GB with no mods. And if whange keep the bulk of files (music/films/etc) on SSD for quick access and copying, then anything less than 500GB is a yoke. I have 500+120GB SSDs and I'm pretty tight on space, had to uninstall a few games recently.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

50gb sounds insane, in that case yes maby need 256gb ;)
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

mans be crazy storing movies on ssds
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

I see your cute Witcher 3 and raise you a recommended 200GB SSD space for Star Citizen :-----D http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_ ... quirements

@Jappe2: I had an MSI mobo in prev PC and was very happy with it, no problems for 4 years. Will maybe consider something else now. Dual BIOS sounds like a nice feature.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

8-ball wrote:I had an MSI mobo in prev PC and was very happy with it, no problems for 4 years
it might be ok still since you seem to be going for i7 instead of ryzen. bios update was also finally released today and got my memory running at full 3200mhz. msi is not the only one who has problems with memory clocks on ryzen boards but seems to be one that had the most. now with amd releasing agesa 1.0.0.6 manufacturers should be able to sort out most of the memory issues i guess
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Evga GTX 770 SuperClocked 4GB -> Gigabyte GTX 1070 OC 8GB

Razer Deathstalker Essential -> Razer BlackWidow Elite (orange switches)
Razer DeathAdder Black Edition -> Razer DeathAdder Elite

The graphics card was £150 on ebay and gives me over 2x the fps, so mega value for money :D Also finally decided to throw some money and get the LED-backlit keyb and mouse that I've wanted pretty much since I bought the previous ones 5/6 years ago. They're fucking amazing <3

The graphics upgrade is meant to be temporary to let me handle some of the more recent games (like the last of Deus Ex, Just Cause, Dishonored or Mass Effect), but not necessarily the cutting-edge yet. The rest of the PC (i5-4670k & 16GB DDR3 RAM, 5 years old now) still seems oke for the job. The plan is to make a whole new build in some 2-3-5 years, which would be fully capable of pulling Cyberpunk and TES6 (and whatever other gaks come out in the meantime).
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Ok mans,
so I am buying a new laptop for games. It is mainly because there's Borderlands 3 coming and I need a new machine to play it. For the past few years we were playing BL2 with friends (over LAN´) and my old laptop is almost in silicon heaven. I am eager to try Witcher 3 too. Desktop is not an option, I will move with it quite a bit.

Anyways, I guess I need at least:
i5 with 4 cores
NVIDIA GeForce 1050 4GB
8 GB RAM
256 GB SSD

The main question is: Should I go for better video card? I can wait till more laptops with GeForce 1650 (or higher) will be available on the market, but they'll be at least 200 EUR more expensive (from what I can tell). I am just really not sure if GeForce 1050 is good enough or not for my needs.

I am looking at Lenovo Legion Y530, HP Omen and maaaaybe Dell G5, atm.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I really don't want to be annoying, but are you sure that you need a laptop? You'd get so much more performance with a PC for the same price. GTX1050 is not just old, but also very low tier. For comparison, a PC GTX1660-Ti, which costs <300e, will give you roughly 3 times the performance (300%!) of a laptop 1050. You can use this page for performance reference:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

A GTX 1050 laptop would baaaaaaarely pull The Witcher 3, which is quite depressing given that the game is 5 years old now :/ For reference, I just bought a used GTX 1070 for the equivalent of 180e, and it's even more powerful than GTX1660-Ti. Maybe you could consider keeping the old laptop for when you need to do something outside, and build a PC for gaming, even with used components?
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

my pc is

win7 ultimate x64
8gb
intel core i5 3470 3.2ghz
geforce 210

geforce 210 is to be replaced with something that doesnt suck when i have the money
until then i cant do lots of stuff on pc at all/without lag
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

pawq wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 12:05 I really don't want to be annoying, but are you sure that you need a laptop?
Ye, it reeeeeeeally sucks, that PC is so much cheaper than laptop, if you build it youself.

The thing is, we do gaming nights usually at my friend's apartment in the other part of the city. I even considered buying a PC and leaving it at my friends apartment. Yes, that's how desperate I was at one moment. :roll: The old laptop is amost unusable now. Super super slow and fucked up display.

When I am home, I usualy spend time with my gf, so I only really need the laptop for: those gaming nights with friends (once a month) and for time without my gf (not all that often. I come home from work later than she does). I cannot imagine myself moving all the stuff that comes with PC (monitor, mouse, keyboard, case, cabels) every month.

Yes, that site is great. I've compared GPUs heavily there, but the selection is quite a bit more limited when we talk about laptops.

I guess I'll wait for now and next month I'll stretch my budget a tiny bit (from 800e to 1000e) and I'll buy a mid-tier laptop with either: GTX 1060 (3gb or 6gb) or GTX 1650.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Definitely don't go below 4GB if you can... I think it's quite pathetic how poor the graphics cards in laptops are, given their prices >:/ "gaming laptops" my ass, more like ez money grab ;/
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

yes.

I guess GTX 1650 4GB is the way to go for me in my new gaming laptop (Lenovo y540 seems the best). As a PC component it is quite overpriced for what it does, but it makes sense in laptops as it stays cool even in demanding games due to it being very power-efficient. And I will be able to play Witcher 3 at 70 FPS (high settings) or 50 FPS (ultra), which seems more that enough, given I can't really tell the difference between those 2 settings :D
GTX 1050 is like 33 FPS at ultra 1080p (hairworks off), which is passable, but not really future proof... edit: Or maybe I'll find a good deal with GTX 1050 Ti, which is decent, but worse than GTX 1650.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
GPU: Gainward 1060 GTX 6gb
Cpu: intel i5-3570k @3.8ghz
Memory: Samsung 2x8Gb @1600mhz
Hdd: WD 2Tb
SSD: Toshiba 250gb
Monitor: LG 22" IPS225
PSU: FSP 550W
Team SPEED

Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Bludek, have you considered a smaller build, like mini-ITX? A desktop PC can be small enough enough to move around often without much hassle.

Sorry I don't hev an actual answer. =D
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

What's the easiest way to make a super old PC (like 10+ years old for some parts) work faster? I don't need fancy games or anything, just don't like having to wait for stuff to stop lagging when I have a browser+PDF viewer+Telegram open. Windows says I have 2 GB RAM, E5300 @ 2.60 GHz 1.60 GHz (makes you wonder which of the numbers is the real one), and like 5% free hard disk space. Don't have a SSD, I've heard it's a good idea to install Windows on SSD? How do I go about choosing it?
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

uninstall browser
uninstall discunt
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Lousku wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 05:22 Bludek, have you considered a smaller build, like mini-ITX? A desktop PC can be small enough enough to move around often without much hassle.
I did not consider that, thank you! Will look into it.

Having a laptop is quite convenient, though. Would have to be many hundred euro cheaper.
kuchitsu wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 08:50 ...and like 5% free hard disk space.
That might be part of the problem, afaik. And dust and bad air flow and stuff like that.

Getting a SSD would almost deffinitely help. You will need to move your Windows to the new SSD after that.

I googled a tiny bit, but I am sure you can find many other instructions on ze web: speed up an old PC with SSD, Migrate Your Windows.
edit:According to this: SSD could end up being the most significant upgrade available to you
Last edited by Bludek on 31 Jul 2019, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

semi-related question:
I am considering buying 17' laptop. Is is worth it? Do any of you guys use 17' or is 15¨' enough?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

ssd for sure a quick way to make things feel faster, you can also consider some linux version instead of windows which may not use as many resources, if you stay with windows I'd reinstall on the ssd rather than moving it just to make sure there's not some weird stuff making it slow, also go windows 10 if you're not
Bludek wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 10:41 semi-related question:
I am considering buying 17' laptop. Is is worth it? Do any of you guys use 17' or is 15¨' enough?
Bigger ones tend to be cheaper for same specs cus it's easier to fit it into the space. Personally I'd go as small as possible so it's easier to carry around, but for your use case you're gonna enjoy bigger screen.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

SSD is easily the best upgrade you could do kuchi! I'd also get 4gb ram (very cheap), as 2gb will hardly handle a modern system :)
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

pawq wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 11:07 SSD is easily the best upgrade you could do kuchi! I'd also get 4gb ram (very cheap), as 2gb will hardly handle a modern system :)
Completely depends on just how old the motherboard is, though. It might not support more than 2gb. Best check that before buying more =P
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Ok, so I bought:

Lenovo Legion Y540 (2019)
Intel Core i5 9300H
15.6" LED IPS 1920x1080 (60hz)
RAM 8GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
M.2 SSD 512GB

There is one open slot for another 8GB RAM and one slot for another HDD/SSD, if I ever need any of those. RAM is super cheap upgrade, so I guess I'll do that in near future.

There was also available Y540 with 144Hz display (no G-Sync) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR, but I didn't feel like paying 150e more for those. If it had G-sync I'd probably pay the extra few bucks, as I've heard many good things about it.

Thx everyone for consultation and recommendations :)
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

@kuchi
seems like an ideal long-term solution is completely ditching this pc, the platform is too old
if it's not feasible:
- ssd is extremely important, it can revitalize an old pc. get a sata 250-500 gb ssd of whatever good deal you have nearby
- try to find one more 2 gb ddr2 ram stick. if you already have two ram sticks (2x1gb), i guess you would wanna find 2x of 2 gb for dual channel
- try to find a new cpu, something like xeon e5450. google around and look here for more info https://xeon-e5450.ru/
both cpu and ram are annoying to upgrade, you would probably have to buy used parts on avito
but this platform will be really limited anyway, so my recommendation is to go for a new pc. you can reuse the ssd in the new pc btw. and don't migrate windows, just install it from scratch (preferable version is win10 64-bit)

@bludek
i guess it's too late to recommend you a mini-atx now :D
anyhow, grats with your purchase. hope you have fun with it
side note: g-sync is kinda overrated. 144 hz, on the other hand, is not
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

SSD gets a vote from me asswel, it can make a horseshit pece tolerable, and can be reused in a new pece later just like str said
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

5tr1k3r wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:27side note: g-sync is kinda overrated. 144 hz, on the other hand, is not
I saw 144 hz laptop screen (HP Omen) at friend's place like a week ago and it was indeed reeeally great looking. But there wasn't like that much difference when I fucked around on it a bit. I guess I would have to see 60 hz and 144 hz next to each other. I am also afraid I wouldn't be able to go back to 60 hz screen after that (as some people mention on the world wide web). I have 60 hz screen at work and it isn't very likely to be replaced - almost every employee here has the same specs. I still have 14 days to return it (without giving a reason, acording to czech law), if I will REALLY dislike the 60 hz screen.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

dz wrote: 15 Jun 2002, 11:02 Mainboard: Epox8KHA+ DDR
Power supply: Enlight 300W
Processor: AthlonXP 1800+ 1.53Ghz
Processor Cooler: Zalman AlCu6000 silent
RAM: 768 DDR CL2
Display Card: Leadtek WinFast GeForce4 Ti4200
Hard Disks: Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80gb & SamsungV30 30gb
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Keyboard: Logitecg Internet Keyboard
Mouse: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical
Monitor: 19" LG 99G
Cd-r: 52x sony
Cd-rw: 16/10/40 LG
Internet connection: Cable 30M/256kbps
Fun to read such retro specs. Incidentally I still have the specs of my 2002 PC
Matsonic MS8308E
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+
256 MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank (32MB shared for video adapter)
SiS 630/730 integrated VGA
15'' Relisys TE555, 1024x768@60Hz
SiS 7018 integrated sound card but imo i used SB AWE64
drive C: 74.5GB Western Digital
drive D: 4.0GB Seagate Medalist 4310
drive E: (CD-ROM) TEAC CD-W54E, 4x/4x/32x
Pinnacle PCTV 100i tv-tuner
HP Scanjet 3200C scanner
HP Deskjet 610 C printer
Internet connection: lol what is that (have internet at home since 2008)
Keyboard, mouse: average cheap ones

Current config, to be ontopic:
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0
AMD FX-8350
16GB RAM 1600MHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Chieftec 700W
NVidia 750Ti
Benq 24"
Samsung SSD 256GB
2 x 4TB WD Blue
2 TB Seagate Barracuda in Kolink external case
8 TB WD MyBook
Asus strix flare COD4 keyboard
A4tech mouse
Internet: 1000/200 Mbit rated, ~300/300 real
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Bludek wrote: 1 Aug 2019, 13:54I saw 144 hz laptop screen (HP Omen) at friend's place like a week ago and it was indeed reeeally great looking. But there wasn't like that much difference when I fucked around on it a bit.
Did you try Elma with it tho? :-) I feel it's a hueg difference in any fast games like Elma.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Kopaka
39mins club

Re: Re:

Post by Kopaka »

Kopaka wrote: 8 Jan 2011, 13:20
Kopaka wrote:CPU: AMD 64 X2 4200+
RAM: 1024mb Kingston + 1024mb Kingston
GFX: Asus Radeon X800
Motherboard: Asus A8N nF4
PSU: NorthQ 4001 400W
HDD: 160gb Maxtor, 200gb WD, 320gb WD, 500gb WD
DVD burner: NEC ND 3540A
Case: 3RSystem Neon Light
Monitor: 17'' Acer AL1716
Upgraded most parts during this fall.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2 x 2gb
GFX: Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 1gb (was added in fall 2008)
PSU: Corshair HX520W
HDD: OCZ 64gb SSD, 1tb+1.5tb+2tb
Bluray burner: LG BH10LS30 Super Multi Blue
DVD Burner: Samsung slim line
Case: Cooler Master CM690II Advanced
Upgraded the full pc two years ago:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (x370)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
CPU cooler: EK fluid gaming A240 (aluminum custom water cooling kit)
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX red
GFX: ASUS AMD Radeon RX 480 8gb
PSU: Corsair RM750x white
HDD: 500gb Samsung 960 EVO (NVMe), 500gb Samsung 850 EVO (SSD), 1tb Samsung 860 EVO (SSD)
Bluray burner: LG BH10LS30 Super Multi Blue
Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 white (limited edition 1168/2000)

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Rapidfire Cherry MX Speed
Mouse: Razor Naga 2012
Monitor: 2x24'' ASUS MG248QR, Acer XF240H
Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Considering Ryzen 9 3900x and Radeon RX 5700 XT as upgrades in near future.
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

@bludek (sorry i can't into forums)
there seems to be a substantial performance difference between 1650 and 1660 ti (for example, +60-70% for 1660 ti in witcher 3)
https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-G ... 598.0.html
i don't think there is a way you could "really dislike" 60 hz, but 144 hz + 1660 ti are much better as a mid/long-term purchase, and especially if you wanna be playing demanding games like witcher 3. and yeah 144 hz is great for elma or even basic OS usage
i would also recommend a cpu with at least 6 threads/logical cores, but that's probably a bit hard to achieve
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

I totally get what you're saying and I agree.
GTX 1660 Ti just felt like such an overkill to me. 62 fps (GTX 1650) vs 103 fps (GTX 1660 Ti) in Witcher 3 on high settings is not worth the extra money to me. I was stretching my budget quite a bit already. I just needed affordable laptop, not the high end.

It does kinda suck that no store in Czech rep is selling 144hz + GTX 1650 combo, though. :(