Army

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Igge
38mins club

Re: Army

Post by Igge »

You've been in the army for 8 years?
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Got the decision from the doctor that I can't go to army about a few weeks ago. The reason is my collarbones that get dislocated very easily which prevents me from carrying heavy stuff. It's not 100% sure yet, I still gotta go to the draft but the doc said I will surely get C-papers (release from army service).
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
ElrondMcBong
Kuski

Post by ElrondMcBong »

Igge wrote:You've been in the army for 8 years?
Yeah, I think I am the only one who battled and scored in the Kosovo.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Got draft forms in teh mail. I have the choice to opt out of service, but I think I should consider more. It's also kinda likely that they won't let me in even if I want to.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Ye update to my situation, not going. Teh major (or smth) who makes the final decision at the draft didn't seem very happy, was like "wtf why dont you swim or do something to gain some muscle to fix the collarbone problem" and stuff. Maybe I'm a bit sad that I'll miss the experience that most guys remember their whole lifetime. Coulda been nice to get some new friends there also. But meh, most of it is shit anyways what I've heard.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

gz, im happy for you guys =)
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

roope wrote:Maybe I'm a bit sad that I'll miss the experience that most guys remember their whole lifetime. Coulda been nice to get some new friends there also. But meh, most of it is shit anyways what I've heard.
Kinda same here. I am gonna skip army caused by a very tough asthma which affected my everyday life for over a decade already.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

lol guys u mad.
I don't know anyone irl who actually wants to go to army. Also i don't know anyone who actually went there, it's considered a hell on earth and everyone tries max hard just not to get there :D
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

same here, i have no idea how you may want to go there ._.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

my friend went for fun, we even came by train for his adjuration :D but ye after some 3 months he pretended some disease cuz it was enough :D
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Difference between Russian and Finnish army maybe? Most people here have lots of good memories from their service.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

like bathing in mud in -20c in socks only?
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Uraa for Polish army!
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Yes I have plenty of good memories from the army time and also few friends who I see when I visit the cities they live in. It was quite easy for me to just adapt in that situation, unlike some of the others who were constantly questioning almost everything we did and saying it's stupid. I had absolutely no problem with doing all that stuff, I almost thought it all made sense! I also somehow felt like I was quite liked among the sergeants and officers and I hardly got any shit to my shoulders. It was easy to go and joke about things with them too. The maxest memory is probably one winter night when we were camping in Rovajärvi. It was maybe -20C and others were inside the tent but I was outside, alone watching the aurora borealis go crazy in the sky. Didn't feel any cold and I totally forgot the irritation I felt earlier and that it was only 3rd night on the camp and there were 7 more to come.. it was weird and after that everything felt just easy. Teh funniest memory must be when a lieutenant was visiting out camp and said to me something like "I wonder what's up with you because you look like a whale who can sleep in any arbitrary position.. weird" and that was in a friendly tone. Sach funny. One of the bad memories is indeed the fact that I felt constantly tired and always tried to sleep when possible.

So.. if you don't go to army you are ofc missing an experience, but you can use the time to make something more significant. I thought I'd hate it but after the first weeks it wasn't so bad, Finnish army is quite slack. But no, I wouldn't want to go back there for another 6 months.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Had draft thingy this morning. Class C because my mental things are mental. Not counting out the option that I'll serve voluntarily at some point within the next 10 years, but I'm glad to have it off my mind for now.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Welcome to the club. Pretty much all of my friends went to army 2 months ago, and I've noticed it really gets to your head. A few very good friends promised me they won't talk about army stuff during weekends when they're off, and it did last for the first weeks, but now they just can't help themselves. Annoying to listen to stories when you even hardly understand what they're talking about due to army slang. Hokkuspokkus is pretty much the only one that doesn't talk about teh all the time but apparently he's in possibly the ezest class (kuski :p)

/rant
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
jamppa
37mins club

Post by jamppa »

I was surely in the eziest job of whole finnish army this year, at least easiest of whole battalion. (Upinniemi, kuljetusviirikön kirjuri) but god I hated that place, maybe few ok memories and 1000 bad memories. Though I liked the week camp we had (only in memories, not at the time) when we got to sleep 1h/day had to be outside 23h/day and day temperature was -20 to -30 whole week. At last night I was so confused of being tired it felt like I was 3 per milles drunk. Barely remember anything from the night, very hazy memories but funniest is when I walked 20 m along a path from our tent and when turned back I had totally no idea where I came from. I roamed around the woods and passed tent 1m away but didnt rekognise it was ours. Luckily after some time I came by it again and realized it was the right one.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I wouldn't last long in those colds, that's what I know. We don't have service here, but I know this dude from musicology who went to the conservatory for classical piano (he was really good), who eventually quit his studies to join the army. It's not that I hate those people, but I am an idealist. If noone carries any weapons, noone will be shot. That's naive, I know. And I know that the army is much more than shooting at each other. I am just too scared of violence that I wouldn't like myself to being trapped in scary situations or much worse, the situation where I might need to kill people professionally.
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

I don't consider army (as an peacetime institution) violent. I went to serve the mandatory 6months as a "personal growth" course. I lack discipline and my physical fitness has gone to pieces since school times. The most violent thing i experienced there was the field training, during which u were not allowed to sleep in a week (also in -20 degreed centigrade).

As for the idealism, i hate violence and conflict too, but the thing is: Even if you don't go to army in finland, should war emerge, they're gonna fly your ass to the battlefront regardless...So, should war come, i'm outta here even if i HAVE gone to army, fuck it, if two head of the states have smthn to settle, go settle them in a ring and leave the citizens alone. Ofc there's a high risk of getting executed or whatnot if bail out on war....but wth, chance of getting killed in action is far worse and propably more painful and serves no purpose as far as i'm concerned, besides, finland, as it is, couldn't fight off even a motley crew of angry immigrants...let alone russia or smthn like that.
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"