Have you or would you play DDR?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Vaitork
Kuski

Have you or would you play DDR?

Post by Vaitork »

chux wrote:
Vaitork wrote:i'm a huge DDR fan
Gahh! Me too!
This got me thinking... Anyone else has played Dance Dance Revolution? Would u dare to play it? I think it's a bit better than Elma bcuz u're actually DOING something (physsical i mean), it's actually funnier than most ppl think and it's not like any other sport (if u're the classical sport hater like Penrose :) yes i checked ur site). If u don't dare to try it out, let me tell u.. it's worth it :wink:

PS. for the ones who have NO IDEA of what DDR is, maybe u remember clicking HERE

If u think it's stupid, mongo or ghey and got nothing constructive to say, get outta here and return to ur silly bike :twisted:
im joking :cry: didn't mean it with the "silly" thing
Not dead yet...
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Yeah, DDR rules, although its called Dance Stage Euromix (DSE) here...
Everyone should at least try it...
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

what's DDR? what ON EARTH is happening in that pic?!
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

MopoGirl wrote:what's DDR? what ON EARTH is happening in that pic?!
It's a dance computer game...on that pic someone is dancing frantically.

I haven't tried DDR, but perhaps I'd like to try...seems kinda fun (and awkward :))
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

MopoGirl wrote:what's DDR? what ON EARTH is happening in that pic?!
*sigh* ok let me explain ya..

"DDR conceptually is a very simple game. There is a platform with four arrows: up, down, left, and right -> DDR Platform
There are four stationary arrows at the top of the screen. There will be arrows that scroll up from the bottom of the screen -> DDR Screen
When the scrolling arrows overlap the stationary arrows, you then hit the corresponding arrow on the platform"

Taken from DDR Freak

That's pretty much it. A song will be playing (most of the songs are techno and rave kind of songs, but some of them are westerns or hard rock :lol: ) and the arrows will begin to show up on the screen. You have to hit the arrows on the platform acording to the rhythm and speed of the song.

There are (generally) three difficulties on every song: Basic, Trick and Maniac (or Basic, Standard and Heavy on other versions). While the Basic mode has few arrows, Maniac songs have a lot more arrows and require a lot more experience with the game.

These are examples of:
a Basic (Easy) Song Step Chart
a Heavy (DAMN HARD) Song Step Chart

Any more doubts? Plz ask if u want.. U can dl some really cool videos via KaZaA or some sites (i dunno any), and if u have the dance machine in your town, u just have to try it :D
SveinR wrote:It's a dance computer game (...) "awkward"
mmm.. not on the PC, it's more like an arcade kind of game.. and yes, it's may be a bit weird in the beginning but u get used to it :D

There are some DDR Simulators on-line.. i'll give more info about them later :wink:
Not dead yet...
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

DSE has 4 difficulty settings, Beginner, Standard, Difficult and Expert...
There are a few different songs, but the basic idea is exactly the same.
As for DDR simulators online, I have found Flash Flash Revolution on xqsite.com
There is now a new game called Dance Stage Megamix, which is on PS2, and is the same but has different songs...
Vaitork, do you have the dance mat?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

chux: i checked the songs included in the EuroMIX here, and most of them are the same as american versions (at least Afronovas, C.Jack, D.Rave, Dam Dariram, PARANOiAs, etc).. If by dance mat u mean the home pad, nope, but i'm in the process to buy one and connect it to the PC, but a phreaking pad is damn expensive here in Venezuela so i have to wait until someone goes to the States and bring me one.. damn..

Basically i just play here with the simulator or in the Mall in the DDR 4th MIX Plus and the DDR Extreme in another mall.. they rock hard :D

The sim i'm using is called StepMania, and i get the songs via irc (maybe u have heard about the channel, chux).. they are classified by Mixes, collections of songs that get updated from time to time.

Download StepMania (click Basic with Installer) IT DOESNT COME WITH SONGS, u have to download them apart.
Download DDR Mixes in [url=irc://irc.faereal.net/ddruk]#DDRUK[/url] (the normal server isn't online now, so u can type "/ctcp Miki bumpers" without the "" and you will connect with the server, type "dir" to check the mixes and then type "get (bumper pack) dance dance revolution 8th mix -extreme-.zip" (for example) to get that mix.. u can download all the dance dance revolution mixes to get the full collection and play all that u want (with the keyboard of course, unless u have a USB PlayStation converter and a Dance Pad)..

enough for now :P if interested and get stucked at some point, let me know
Not dead yet...
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

sounds very cool... never seen one in israel :(
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

i downloaded the sim but how do i put music in it?
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

MopoGirl wrote:sounds very cool... never seen one in israel :(
mmm.. there are no DDR machines in israel i think :( bad luck i guess.. maybe u can buy the dance pad? :wink:
MopoGirl wrote:i downloaded the sim but how do i put music in it?
Vaitork wrote:Download DDR Mixes in [url=irc://irc.faereal.net/ddruk]#DDRUK[/url]
It's a trigger-processing channel.. type !list and it will show tons of servers. U can access a server by typing a trigger (they are those that begin with "/ctcp") and it will open a new window in which u can enter DOS commands (they show them, dir, cd "something", cd.., etc), then, when u locate the file, type "get FILENAME.ZIP" and it will begin downloading.. maybe u will find the scatered files (like 5 or 6 per song), or u will find the ZIP file for a song or (even better) a whole MIX, but i couldnt find any whole mix right now.. i recommend u to download the mixes from 1st to 8th (the 8th is called Extreme).. be patient :wink: i could give u a few songs so u get the idea, just let me send ya via MSN (pleeeeease let it be DSL)
Not dead yet...
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

I got cable, but i think i deleted my msn... maybe i can catch you on #across some time..
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

we got fuken hundreds of those machines here, asians play on them like 24/7, ive never had a go but i should do, we got all these other ones where you gotta play the drums and shit like that
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

Ky.Jelly wrote:..we got all these other ones where you gotta play the drums and shit like that
LoL yes, i think that one is called DrumMania, and there's another similar one called Guitar Freaks (imagine :P following certain notes appearing on screen.. freaky indeed..)

To evry1:

If you have installed the StepMania and are too dumb to find the files by urself, ask me for them on #across by private..

The songs must be placed in certain folders inside StepMania's (just like Elma, but a bit more complex)

\StepMania\Songs\NAME OF THE MIX\NAME OF THE SONG\SONG FILES

For example, files needed to play the song B4U by Naoki (not always 4 files):

\StepMania\Songs\Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix\b4u\b4u.dwi
\StepMania\Songs\Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix\b4u\b4u.mp3
\StepMania\Songs\Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix\b4u\b4u.jpg
\StepMania\Songs\Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix\b4u\b4u-bg.jpg

Chux and other possible steppers: Favorite songs? Difficulty Level? Achievements?
Not dead yet...
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Ky.Jelly wrote:asians play on them like 24/7
Oh its true, I always see chinese people on them and theyre so damn good!
I suck on the machine, but i rule on the controller...
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

If u ppl dare to test it (the machine, not the sim) plz tell us here ur experience :wink:
Not dead yet...
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

As im sure you can guess, I have...
Im really no good though
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

i must say stepmania is very addictive :)
i must have more songs, dammit! :)

what's this drum-mania?
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

YEAH!!! MORE DDR ADICTS!! :D i love that :P

let me send ya songs in #across
Not dead yet...
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

DDR Info and some of the coolest DDR videos around :wink:

I'm getting better.. I can pass all songs in Standard and a bunch of Maniac and Challenge songs.. and i'm waiting for my pad :D :D :D
Not dead yet...
Behk
Kuski

Post by Behk »

I played this in my uncle`s house and it was quite fun, we played it on PS2.It`s worth trying.
||TT:42:56,85||42 mins club||Goal is under 42||
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

my cousin has it and it RULES!! im better than mostly everyone i played against and i love the game :D
TT=44:59:63
proud member of team [MK]

psy
pappamopo

Post by psy »

Just bought the mat about a week ago and dancing stage fever and megamix.

psykar sach hooked on bemani now omgz ;S

Ive finished all standard on both games except MAXXBALLE5000 on both games, and i do fine on most 6-foot songs. I feel like back in across days, downloading videos and watching the stylz in awe :S

I'd whane practice this for years and improve all the time but I guess my interest will fade after sometime ;( hopefully not.

And I havent seen a ddr machine around Turku anywhere ;(( I guess theres some around Helsinki at least.

Yarr, you really need to try it to realize how coal it is, playing games with a regular pad just isnt so coal afterwards. psykar recommends.
sorey, no solutions today
I used to believe in many things, all of it! Now, I believe only in dynamite.
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

Well, psy plays DDR.. I gotta make a comeback comment about it :D

"Tennispalatsi" movie theatre - Helsinki - Euromix 2
Linnanmäki Amusement Park - Helsinki - Euromix 2

At least two machines have been reported in Helsinki, but maybe they got new ones (Source)

Well, i've gotten better since we received the Extreme, can pass some 9-foot songs and below.. no Maxxballerz yet, although i pass Max300 and Legend on trick..

The interest really builds when you go to the machines and talk and play with the ppl around them.. I have a kinda big group here in Maracaibo (we got 4 ddr's and 2 piu's) and we even had a forum like this one, but it's down for some reason :? sucks... (in case it comes back to life, DDRLA).. I'll try to get our videos online someday.. they died with the site :(

I've been doing some business with a pair of friends and i think we'll build our own platforms :D you know, for the pc and to play in Stepmania.. They're supossed to be metallic, high quality ones just like the machines but without the bar.. I'll post some screeshots whenever i get close to finish them..

Anyone else?
Not dead yet...
psy
pappamopo

Post by psy »

Too bad Helsinki is like 200km away from here, so I won't be able to play too much at arcade ;S

Ive been thinking of modding my pad too with plywood and some bulle cover so i could slide and stuff, and maybe get another pad for double. Not for some time though, gotta practice more with single first and see if teh interest doesnt fade.
Revolt
Kuski

Post by Revolt »

we got one here in my home city but i sax to teh max at it....
hi
psy
pappamopo

Post by psy »

Yay psykar is improving, finished most songs on difficult (trick is called difficult here) now in dancing stage fever, some on quite decent rankings.
Even finished first 7-footer today \o/ (edit: hmm looks like it was second actually)

Maybe 5-7 difficults left, including paranoia evolution and maxx unlimited, not gonna be able to finish those for a long time ;(

Cant wait to get home tomorrow and see if i lost any weight :)
Last edited by psy on 1 Jul 2004, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I want to see psykar dancing :)
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Haven't seen any of those in Latvia :( But would like to try, maybe in summer when I go to Germany, hope there will be any DDR machines :) Seen DDR in action in movie "Wasabi" - awesome movie with Jean Reno, recommend to all!
39:37,91
Vaitork
Kuski

Post by Vaitork »

Finally, got my vids online...

http://ddrla.com/~vaitork/videos/venezuela/

I'm not playing on any of those (i was part of the jury duting the tourney) but i do some cameo :P just check the bald head 8)

Sure, we're not japanese or crazy supa dupa waka steppers, but at least the guys have some good freestyling (check lightelos and robin, the rest aren't that good)..

later!
Not dead yet...
psy
pappamopo

Post by psy »

nice vids :)

I just finished my first 9-footer (paranoia kcet clean mix on expert), sax C-rank but sach improve.

Soon i get a usb adapter for my mat so i can play stepmania YARR.
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

I cant find a USB - PS2 (Controller) adapt0r anywhere...I whane play StepMania!!
psy
pappamopo

Post by psy »

There are a few shops in here who sell them, but I heard some of them have problems with dance mats (youre not supposed to press the opposite buttons at once on dualshock d-pad) so I dunoz :(

Btw just finished Max300 Difficult/Trick \o/, sax C-rank there too.
I dont think I can improve much anymore with regular soft pad, really need to mod this or make one :S
Sivka aka sergburt
Kuski

Post by Sivka aka sergburt »

Hey!
I try to find any elmers, which dance, and find it.
In Russia Dance Machine from April 2004, and in Krasnodar from August.
I dance since March 2005.. At the start, we have DDR 5th mix, and now we have DDR 8th mix (Extreme) too. Now, I want to compare my result ;). I dance all song, which difficult lower 10. Max300, Paranoia survivor (and survivor Max) and any others 10-legs it`s very hard for me.
I find service http://ddrecall.com/index.php where we can compare result. My nick there - Sivka.
Dynamo
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by Dynamo »

Hey there is a game kinda like this one but its for PS2...its called Amplitude and it involves L1, R1, and R2 buttons (so only 3 legs i guess?)

kinda ez to beat all levs but in the insane difficulty, it can get tricky if u arent asian or w/e....i have beaten the final song on insane..."Spaztik" or w/e

my best points for a song is 6600....but my friend got 9000 on some track....neways.....

DDR is cool.....never played it but there are these crazy guys the go to my city arcade like everyday to play that game and they can combo an entire 10 legged song im pretty sure...nutcases...really neat game though, wanted to try it but was too 'scared' <----mongo :roll:
Total Time: 38:35,14