METAL

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ExTeC
38mins club

Re: METAL

Post by ExTeC »

totem wrote:I'm not very metal, but listened to Brain Drill recently, and found it listenable
Cool Technical Death Metal/Grindcore band. Bass guitarist with a seven(!)-stringed bass:)

P. S. Panzerfaust - the best Darkthrone album! =]
[27] || 38mins club
Cfilorvy
Kuski

Post by Cfilorvy »

Polarix wrote:
roope wrote:Don't like to be a genre whiner but these few just jump into my eyes immediately. Cradle of Filth has nothing doom-ish and Ulver's never been even close to death metal, I'd replace the word death with black.
Yeah, I don't know why I wrote death metal for Ulver, was supposed to be black. But actually the new ulver is more like industrial metal.
Cradle of Filth, I havent had time to listen to it yet, just picked up some songs and sounded like doom for me, but i dunno. Ive heard its generally goth or is it black?
Old Ulver is black metal, but they have also played some acoustic, "Kveldsonger" for instance. Now it's experimantal.. They played a concert in Stavanger recently (very rare), and there was only computers on that stage :p

Cradle of Filth is melodical goth / black metal.. They've had different styles.. I think all of their albums from 1994 - 2000 (Midian), is very good. even Damnation and a Day is okay, but the new stuff is not that good.

Personally I listen to a lot of "underground" black metal bands, like Sykdom, Dödfodt and Kvist.
Favourite metal bands:
Bal-Sagoth
Black Sabbath (With Ozzy ofc)
Cradle of Filth (Albums 1994 - 2000
Darkthrone
Dimmu Borgir
Helloween (Walls of Jericho, Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 and 2)
Opeth
Windir

Got a lot of cool bands and tracks on my last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/Cfilorvy
TT: 42
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

Alright thanks for info Cfil. Not long ago i tried kveldsangar(Nightsongs) to fall in sleep with, worked pretty nice.

So i was listening through Transilvanian Hunger this evening, and found it enjoyable indeed, ill give it 4,5 of 5 stars.

Downloaded these bands recently and i am sorting them before i throw them on the ipod:

Accept
Cirith Ungol
Crowbar
Emperor
Enslaved
Gorgoroth
Immortal
Mayhem
Metal Curch
Motor head (Dont ask)
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Going to a consert with Keep of kalessin(Extreme/black Metal) this friday
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

*A bit drunk and headbanging-muscles are stiff*

This was a fucking holy black event. I recommend to downbload the totaly new album REPTILIAN of Keep of Kalessin (Extreme/Black metal)
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

were they the clowns who go to eurovision song contest?
39:37,91
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

well.....yeah
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I think this could be considered as metal, there's a band that creates each of their song based on Arnold Schwarzenegger's action-movie quotes. It's very fun and quite good actually...

Some cool songs:
Austrian Death Machine - Get to the chopper
Austrian Death Machine - Who is your daddy and what does he do?
Austrian Death Machine - I need your clothes, your boots, your motorcycle
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Nice topic.

I am going to write a 10-page essay about black metal. I am reading a book by Esa Lilja, who happens to have written a very thorough dissertation about the possibility of theoretical analysis of classic heavy metal. She (I assume she's a she) deals with the era of the 60's till the 80's, but I hope I can distillate some methods to try my hand at analysing black metal.

The essay handles black metal as an essentialism genre. For you guys here who actually like the stuff that is called black metal, this is probably bullshit. Though I want to carefully disseminate the genre, and the most important figures in it, investigating the nationalism, the so-called anti-Afro-Americanism, the classicism, the geographical basis etc. I will incorporate bands like Burzum, Darkthrone, and some more. Do you guys have anything to add to that (early 90's stuff preferred, though something representative for the most conservative black metal of today would be appreciated aswell)?
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

teajay wrote:...a book by Esa Lilja, who happens to have written a very thorough dissertation about the possibility of theoretical analysis of classic heavy metal. She (I assume she's a she)...
That's a male name. 8)
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Bummer,.. I didn't have the internet at home to look the writer up, so now I have essay proposal with footnotes mentioning her instead of him. This will look stupid. :(
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Different words for he/she are useless in modern times anyway. In Finnish only "hän" for both.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

I look farward to this teajay, you will make a translation for your essay?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Polarix wrote:I look farward to this teajay, you will make a translation for your essay?
It is not likely, but if you pay me an hourly rate of 10e, I guess I can give it a try.

Perhaps when I am done with it and I feel like practising english,.. but then again, translating my own long scholarly sentences into another languages would be quite an exhausting job.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

teajay wrote:but then again, translating my own long scholarly sentences into another languages would be quite an exhausting job.
we belive in you though
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

that's not enough
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I will hug you for 5 seconds.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

For teh metal teajay!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

So far I read about three quarters of the book by Lilja, and I've stumbled upon some interesting concepts. The author touches on some aspects of my own train of thought I always have when listening to metal. Thing is that I need to internalize the used methodology when I want to apply it sensefully to black metal.

Some quick, out-of-context quotations from the book:
monotony is an important part of the aesthetics of heavy metal
this handles the rather strict sense of motif iterations in metal; the guitar riffs differ quite a lot from say, a melodic contour that is constantly varied in classical music.
It has been argued that since the 1970s heavy metal has had little to do with the blues. [...] However, the use of power chords in heavy metal serves as a link between heavy metal and the blues.
This deals with the acoustical properties of power chords when combined with distortion effects. Analysis shows that distortions results in the emphasis in the spectograph on combination tones. When playing the dyad A-e [110hz-165hz], the difference tone of 55hz occurs noticably when distortion is applied. Also, the harmonics of A become exceedingly noticable; the major third c#' and even a natural minor seventh.

So, in a nutshell, the author suggests that power chords are the best vertical consonances when distortion is applied, and that without even sounding an major third, a major third can still be heard in the resultant waveform. The preference for major thirds even when combined with melodic minor thirds is omnipresent in blues, and (this is accompanied with elaborate examples) in classic heavy metal, in the form of power chords.

The goal now is to finish this book, start reading the other, more sociological material, and to start listening to black metal. I acknowledge the fact that black metal is supposed to be totally different than classic heavy metal, but in which respects they share a common musical grammar, I have no complete clue.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

tijs, congrats for the promo image of your essay
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

heah
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

in other metal news...

Both Ronnie James Dio and Paul Grey (slipknot) have died this month :(
Proud Member Of RDK
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

>slipknot
>metal

haha nice try bro
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

I have a pollquestion, but ofcourse i will not make a new topic cuz of that, so here it goes anyway:
Who makes and have made the best the metal of Finland, sweden or norway?
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

petsen wrote:in other metal news...

Both Ronnie James Dio and Paul Grey (slipknot) have died this month :(
Personally, Xarthok, i'd say Slipknot is 1000x more metal than Dio anyway.

Don't rule a band out because they're songs contain a melody, there are other types of metal than thrash.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

I find these arguments over microgenres very roflworthy. Who cares what music belongs to what genre? It's music, nothing to argue about there.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

>slipknot
>melody
aahahaha what am i reading
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

im in love...
with Pain of Salvation
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

LousQ wrote:I find these arguments over microgenres very roflworthy. Who cares what music belongs to what genre? It's music, nothing to argue about there.
Some music is crap, some is not, and some sub genres are as well better than others, when it comes to personal taste.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Polarix wrote:
LousQ wrote:I find these arguments over microgenres very roflworthy. Who cares what music belongs to what genre? It's music, nothing to argue about there.
Some music is crap, some is not, and some sub genres are as well better than others, when it comes to personal taste.
Yeah, but... Arguing over what band belongs under what microgenre... :D
Cfilorvy
Kuski

Post by Cfilorvy »

Polarix wrote:I have a pollquestion, but ofcourse i will not make a new topic cuz of that, so here it goes anyway:
Who makes and have made the best the metal of Finland, sweden or norway?
Black metal - Norway
Death Metal - Sweden
Power metal - Finland

EZ!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I find your stance on slipknot rather awkward, 8ball. Enlighten us.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Raff. I find your thinking 8ball's stance is weird weird.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Well i dunno, Sweden have some amazing power metal! take Sabaton and Hammerfall for instance. Just legendary..
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Sabaton are max. Seen them live twice. o/
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Igge wrote:Sabaton are max. Seen them live twice. o/
They are comming to Stavanger(where I live) in september, but ofcourse then im in the army. Anyways their new album coat of arms is just brilliant. Especially the song coat of arms, which is the first song. I was blazed when i listened to it, just fucking epic!
Cfilorvy
Kuski

Post by Cfilorvy »

Polarix wrote:Well i dunno, Sweden have some amazing power metal! take Sabaton and Hammerfall for instance. Just legendary..
But I have to say that Sweden is most known for it's death metalbands... Like Opeth, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity.
Finland have more famous powermetalbands like: Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish (if you can call it power metal), and all of those bands who have some powermetal in them like: Children of Bodom, Wintersun, Kalmah.. etc :p
Norway is the black metal country for sure :D
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

True. And according to the http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php, nightwish is Operatic/Symphonic Power Metal, so you are right about that.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

also many awesome progmetal bands from sweden like pain of salvation (yyeeea), evergrey, khoma...
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

i have never been into so much prog yet. Only dreamtheatre and symphony x
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

neither is swedish, both from us ;p
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

First metal song five-starred in my iTunes: Orion - Metallica

I have also Master of Puppets 4-starred.
:mrhat:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

This topic... awesome!

Listen to gojira and lamb of god mostly when listening to metal. I've kinda lost interest though. Classical music and jazz yey. But METAL is here to stay. Totally.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Gojira are brilliant. One of the few metal bands I still listen to regularly.
Others are: Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, Agalloch, Summoning, Isis, The Gathering, Insomnium, Opeth, Katatonia, Anathema, Moonsorrow, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Tiamat, My Dying Bride... and many more of course but not as often anymore
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

You've broadened your musical horizon? This is interesting. Most people who've never listened to metal will never understand the charm of it, but fans of metal who broaden their horizon could very well get to appreciate about all sorts of music you'd come up with. This is what I experience from my fellow students at musicology.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

most listened:

Within Temptation
Avantasia
Epica
Nightwish
Rhapsody of Fire
Van Canto
Edguy
Blind Guardian
Eluvetie
HB

not listened so much, but like some of teh songs:

Crimson Moonlight
Tristania
Leaves Eyes (metal?)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I tried to listen to gojira, listened to their first album through (at least) 10 times during my evening walks to form an opinion. not my cup of tea. "love", "vacuity", "the art of dying" have some goodity in them though. I guess there's no going back when you try 70s PROg.

Still need metal dose every now and then!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Tigro wrote:HB
raff :D I had their album as a kid.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Zweq wrote:I guess there's no going back when you try 70s PROg.
tru dat :d recently tried to listen to some metel i used to like, doesnt work anymore
still theres a very few good ones though (opeth, russian circles)
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Lousku wrote:
Tigro wrote:HB
raff :D I had their album as a kid.
I was in their concert. :beer: