IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

insane guy
Kuski

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by insane guy »

at this point I want to advertise myself on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3317575/

Please vote for my films which you can watch on vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/4812102
http://www.vimeo.com/2853924

Thank you!

insguy
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Thorze wrote:Avatar, the movie heard everyone say 10/10, I can not see a shit why it would be even 8/10, it' not even close to Lord of the Rings, it's like, I was very dissapointed at it since everyone said it would be uberawesome and yet it only was like weak 8/10. Very over rated.
Read what i said above, it's not about the face value. Lord of the rings is DEFINETELY about the face value. If you prefer LOTR, That's why. (Not saying LOTR is bad though.)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

wow, nice films insguy. very well done. keep up the good work.

how long have you been doing this?

curious where you shot Boharg II. somewhere local?

what do you think about this short film? http://giiing.multiply.com/video/item/8 ... rgan_Routt

i haven't really watched many short films, but i think this one is awesome. i originally thought it was made by a Tool fan for the song, but wasn't. The song works brilliantly with it (i believe anyway). i would recommend that version, but if you don't like the music or just want to see it with it's original sound, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEjyGmVub8
mcleod
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Haruhi wrote:
Thorze wrote:Avatar, the movie heard everyone say 10/10, I can not see a shit why it would be even 8/10, it' not even close to Lord of the Rings, it's like, I was very dissapointed at it since everyone said it would be uberawesome and yet it only was like weak 8/10. Very over rated.
Read what i said above, it's not about the face value. Lord of the rings is DEFINETELY about the face value. If you prefer LOTR, That's why. (Not saying LOTR is bad though.)
face= :) That's a face and value= värde på svenska for example this chairs value is 90£
So I don't see your face value, thing what it means I mean
ToMaT
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Thorze wrote:
Haruhi wrote:
face= :) That's a face and value= värde på svenska for example this chairs value is 90£
So I don't see your face value, thing what it means I mean

don't look at Avatar and judge it just by what you see with your eyes.
Image Cyberscore! Image
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Listen to the soundtrack too.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

if there wasn't that nice graphics, ez 2/10, the movie itself was really boring and I was literally falling asleep (maybe those few beers before may have had some effect on it) I can't see a reason why I would want to see it again
I don;t get those 9/10 or 10/10s
[carebox]
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

milagros wrote:Avatar - 4/10
if there wasn't that nice graphics, ez 2/10, the movie itself was really boring and I was literally falling asleep (maybe those few beers before may have had some effect on it) I can't see a reason why I would want to see it again
I don;t get those 9/10 or 10/10s
+1

After watching it me and my friends discussed the 3d graphics extensively, but not the movie itself. It's really just Pocahontas with a make-over - not much to talk about. Sure, he created an entire new world with flora and fauna etc, but if you compare it to, say, Tolkien, it's really nothing. And I can't for the life of me understand how this movie could take him so long to make, since basically 80% of it has already been made by others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahontas_%281995_film%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Me_Joe

There you have it, Avatar.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Except for the point with Tolkien, I don't agree at all. Even if the story is "well-known" or not "new", doesn't mean the movie itself is bad. Though I agree that 10/10 is to much for Avatar. What did you think about Avatar igge? Except for drawing parallells to other similiar stories.

Anyway: Rear Window (1954): 8/10
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Since the story is based on such a common concept, you knew what was going to happen pretty much all the time. Half-way in we were talking about how we thought the movie was going to end, and let's just say getting it right wasn't hard. It got kinda boring once you realized your guesses on what was going to happen next were right all the time. For instance, the second they mentioned the Toruk for the first time, we all immediately understood that Jake was eventually going to tame it to become the "leader" and then use it in a fight against the humans.

But don't get me wrong - knowing where a book or a movie is heading doesn't necessarily make it bad. However, Since that wasn't the intention, you're pretty much just sitting there, waiting to see when your theories will be confirmed. It became like a game, in which you counted who got the most guesses correct - who was going to die, what was going to happen, how it was gonna happen, etc.

And like I said, when it was over we spent more time discussing the 3d glasses than we did the movie, and 80% of discussing the movie revolved around how similar it was to other stories. By that I mean the movie itself did not have an impact on me, as I had pretty much seen the movie before, just in another package. However, had this been the first movie of it's kind I ever saw, I would probably have been blown away. But since this wasn't the case, it felt uninspired, unimaginative.. Yet still I didn't feel anything after seeing it.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Igge wrote:It became like a game, in which you counted who got the most guesses correct - who was going to die, what was going to happen, how it was gonna happen, etc.
That's what happens when you don't let yourself into the movie. When you start thinking about "I'm in a theatre watching fictional characters on a screen." instead of letting yourself engage and be affected by what you see. Tips for next time: go see the movie with fewer friends or even on your own.

Avatar - seen 4 times and counting.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

John wrote: That's what happens when you don't let yourself into the movie. When you start thinking about "I'm in a theatre watching fictional characters on a screen." instead of letting yourself engage and be affected by what you see. Tips for next time: go see the movie with fewer friends or even on your own.

Avatar - seen 4 times and counting.
It's kinda hard to become engaged (for me, anyway) when you know what's going to happen, unless the movie itself is really, really good. Think of it like watching a game of hockey or whatever; if the hockey is extraordinarily good, you can watch the game several times despite knowing the outcome. However, if it's just an ordinary game, and you already know what the final score is going to be, it becomes really boring to watch.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

You didn't "know", you had hunches. Those occur in any other movie pretty much.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Well, yeah, but in good movies you are proven wrong once in a while. This is kinda like spying a 5 vertex uphill balle in which Zweq participates. You have a hunch who's gonna win, and how he's gonna win.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Well, to me the trip from A to B is just as important even if you kinda know what to expect when arriving in B. Avatar's "trip" was just mindblowing. Lets take LOTR as an example, there we _knew_ how it ultimately would end yet we payed heavy dollars to go see the trip from A to B in three different movies, and we liked it! Only personal references decide if you will like the trip, and personally my trip(s) in Avatar has been just awesome.

So, since you wasn't proven wrong in Avatar, it was a shitty movie? And please don't include examples from Elma in your next reply :S And I still suggest you go see movies alone or in smaller groups, at least for the sake of the viewers behind you having whispering ppl in front of them.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Like i said, if I find the movie good enough I'm thrilled to watch it several times, for instance I just re-watched the shining yesterday for probably the 5th time. Like you said, you thought Avatar was extremely good, hence you wanted to see the trip from A to B, even though you knew what was going to happen. I did not find avatar that good.

And yes, a movie that predictable - in that I felt I had watched it before even the first time I saw it - is not my cup of tea. About the elma part, what's wrong with drawing a parallel to elma on an elma forum? But ok, I won't do it anymore.

About the whispering, we were very careful about not disturbing other people. We only whispered when the sound from the cinema as loud enough to completely cover what we said. Trust me.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i doubt anyone would like to watch avatar in 20 years, because it is shitty movie and noone will be impressed by graphics
i can still watch movies like alien or terminator 1/2
even though they are really old, they are still pro
Last edited by milagros on 24 Jan 2010, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
[carebox]
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Movie = story + graphics/x

x = years since release
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

oh man, you talk in cinemas?

how about just enjoying the movie?

i hate talkers. whether it watching it at home or the cinema.
mcleod
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Like I said, we made sure our whispering wouldn't disturb anyone. We made less sound than the people next to us when they ate popcorn. I hate being disturbed by talkers as much as you do. As for enjoying the movie; if I don't find it enjoyable, how could I? The fact that I didn't like it was the reason I whispered with my friends.
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

Ok, thanks for the answer igge. Very well formulated.

As for me, I agree that the story is not new and that it's somewhat easy to know what will happen next. This is something I normally don't like at all but I didn't have such thoughts when I saw Avatar because I was so into it (music, acting, cgi, sound, etc). Maybe in a similiar manner as John described, not sure. Of course I knew Jake would survive and some general outlines of the story, but this was something I had at the back of my head. Not something I thought about during the film. Would have liked to be surprised when it comes to the story though. Not a major plottwist but something unexpected.

Also, the last battle wasn't exciting at all. Yes, nice effects etc but where was the tension? Especially near the ending when his body lies just some meters away from the battle. He realise that instead of fighting the avatar/Na'vi, he can instead kill or at least stopping Jake from using the system. He starts with the smashing etc (and I thought that it would be a very exciting final) but after one wrong guess, simply turns around and fight the Na'Vi instead. Now, the excitement was gone for me. This was the first time in the film, where I started to think about the next scenes.

To sum it up, I guess I understand how you felt during the movie. It happened for me as well but much later.
Team LOS website

-
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Boomer wrote:Ok, thanks for the answer igge. Very well formulated.

As for me, I agree that the story is not new and that it's somewhat easy to know what will happen next. This is something I normally don't like at all but I didn't have such thoughts when I saw Avatar because I was so into it (music, acting, cgi, sound, etc). Maybe in a similiar manner as John described, not sure. Of course I knew Jake would survive and some general outlines of the story, but this was something I had at the back of my head. Not something I thought about during the film. Would have liked to be surprised when it comes to the story though. Not a major plottwist but something unexpected.

Also, the last battle wasn't exciting at all. Yes, nice effects etc but where was the tension? Especially near the ending when his body lies just some meters away from the battle. He realise that instead of fighting the avatar/Na'vi, he can instead kill or at least stopping Jake from using the system. He starts with the smashing etc (and I thought that it would be a very exciting final) but after one wrong guess, simply turns around and fight the Na'Vi instead. Now, the excitement was gone for me. This was the first time in the film, where I started to think about the next scenes.

To sum it up, I guess I understand how you felt during the movie. It happened for me as well but much later.
I do believe when he breaks the one pod and turns around, he is depressurizing the building, so that jake begins to breathe pandoran air (the avatar pods aren't pressurized.) Although i may be wrong.

Anyways, Igge didn't like it, that's a real bummer (especially for igge) :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

Igge wrote:Like I said, we made sure our whispering wouldn't disturb anyone. We made less sound than the people next to us when they ate popcorn. I hate being disturbed by talkers as much as you do. As for enjoying the movie; if I don't find it enjoyable, how could I? The fact that I didn't like it was the reason I whispered with my friends.
i probably should have not used the word enjoy. what i meant was "how about just sitting back, relaxing and just watching the movie for what it is?"

whether you like or dislike the movie is totally up to you, of course.

as for the big battle - i thought it was the nicest battle i've seen in a movie for quite a time. it wasn't over the top at all. i do agree with you (boomer) about the part where he finally works out to go the avatar equipment. he tries once, but then seems to give up that idea after that. when he first worked it out i was thinking "oh noess" and was seeing myself feeling tense about the scene, but it didn't seem to happen.
mcleod
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

bob, I really liked the big battle as well, except the part we just discussed. It was sort of an anti-climax for me.

Anyway, now I need to see a movie or two so I can contribute to this thread in the way it is supposed to be. Always nice with different opinions though.
Team LOS website

-
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

You could also look at it like he gave it a shot when he had the opportunity, hitting Jake right away and failed, but since the mobile unit was now leaking and taking in gas it would seriously impair Jake's avatar anyway (which is shown in the movie, Jake grasping for air and doing an effort to sync with his avatar again). Since the avatar is a bigger threat than Jake himself would be he just went back to deal with the biggest threat first instead of turning his back on it to destroy the other pod.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

For limited time and interest reasons I only read the short posts in this topic. These two stand out for me:
milagros wrote:i doubt anyone would like to watch avatar in 20 years, because it is shitty movie and noone will be impressed by graphics
i can still watch movies like alien or terminator 1/2
even though they are really old, they are still pro
bob wrote:oh man, you talk in cinemas?

how about just enjoying the movie?

i hate talkers. whether it watching it at home or the cinema.
Big Up!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

The longer posts weren't boring though.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

wander how high it gets. 2b?
Image Cyberscore! Image
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

ez 1b more from now, maby even more I think. Titanic rolled for like a year in theatres while Avatar so far has rolled less than 6 weeks. That list isnt inflation-adjusted tho, if look at such Gone With the Wind seems like the highest grossing film ever.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

John wrote:...if look at such Gone With the Wind seems like the highest grossing film ever.
There are many, many factors in this list that make it fairly hard to judge "best-selling" film ever. Film industry was so different back then, people were different, behaviour was different.

But if you keep it to highest-grossing you're in the safe, yes.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

teajay wrote:
John wrote:...if look at such Gone With the Wind seems like the highest grossing film ever.
There are many, many factors in this list that make it fairly hard to judge "best-selling" film ever. Film industry was so different back then, people were different, behaviour was different.

But if you keep it to highest-grossing you're in the safe, yes.
Ye, absolutely. I choose to stick with IMDb's version tho, simply because almost everything else movierelated I read is over at IMDb too. Flawed measurement or nat...
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

yes, many many factors.

on inflation adjusted alone, i cant see how it's possible for any movie to beat gone with the wind. 200 million tickets. it was in the cinemas for years, and has had a few rereleases. not much competition (though '39 was a good year for holywood, including Wizard of Oz). it was a very popular time for cinema, and is known as the "Golden Age of Holywood", as there were no televisions (among many many many other multimedia of today). the only place to see a motion picture was at the cinema. then sound and full colour was introduced.

....200 million tickets.

there's no way it would have sold as many tickets as it did over many years if such things like the internet, piracy and television with 400 channels were around back then.

that doesn't mean it wasn't a big "event". that's what i think it comes down to in the end i think, how much of an "event" movies are for their time. star wars is a great example, and personally think avatar could be the new star wars. avatar will need nice sequels though. whether people like it or not, alot of people are going crazy over it.
mcleod
infected
Kuski

Post by infected »

just came home from watching Avatar 4/10
very nice graphics but thats just it. totally boring, uninteresting story and far to dragged out
geomatric hallucinations
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

For this discussion it would be interesting to read negative responses on 'Gone with the wind'.

Bob, nice post, you made a very good summary of the many factors I wanted to include in my post, with the proper details I couldn't get a grip on. 200 million tickets sure seems a lot back in those days; in the proper perspective you could make a point out of the fact that there was no television. Then again, that movie has been more popular among a relative bigger mass of people than avatar has been up until now; that's something worth noting!
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Notorious Bettie Page - 5/10
Not that interesting, decent acting from all, actress playing Bettie was pretty good though. Had read of this movie in swedish movie magazine so I gave it a shot. Only lasted 87 mins but felt longer :/
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

a nice fact:

"In 1930 (the earliest year from which accurate and credible data exists), weekly cinema attendance was 80 million people, approximately 65% of the resident U.S. population (Koszarski 25, Finler 288, U.S. Statistical Abstract). However, in the year 2000, that figure was only 27.3 million people, which was a mere 9.7% of the U.S. population (MPAA, U.S. Statistical Abstract). If one simply considers the raw numbers (see appendix), that is a steep decline in seventy years, which is more astounding when one considers some of the other circumstances of the times."

(http://org.elon.edu/ipe/pautz2.pdf)

----

Dexter Season 4 - 8/10
a nice series. i've only watched random episodes of previous seasons, but i have seen all of season 4. both Michael C. Hall (dexter) and John Lithgow (trinity) deserved their golden globes. but, i think my favourite character in the series is Dexter's sister, Deborah. she seems so.. raw. there were some great moments throughout the season, but i think the best part of the series was in the 9th episode, the thanksgiving episode where everything 'explodes' at trinity's house, and when trinity sees the true dexter. it was a decent ending, and am looking foward to season 5.

Changeling - 5/10
this is no Gran Torino, Mr. Eastwood. i'm not totally sure why i didn't really like it. maybe i just didn't find it very entertaining, or maybe it's Angelina Jolie. has she ever been in a decent film? is she a good actress? i think not. is she the best looking female in the world? i think not.

Valkyrie - 7/10
it was alright. it didn't feel german enough i think. i didn't like the fact that the whole movie was in english - apart from two sentences at the beginning of the movie. not even attempts at dodgy accents. what would Basterds be if it took the same path? it just wouldn't have the same effect.
mcleod
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) - 10/10!
WOW! This is the best movie I've seen in a very long time and the first 10 I've given in over a year. Simply a wonderful and well done story aswell as a more than amazing performance by Rachel McAdams.

Post Grad (2009) - 6/10
A cute little movie, but nothing special.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Fifth Element - 2/10
BLAH
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Downfall: 8/10
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Couples Retreat (2009) - 5/10
The Girlfriend Experience (2009) - 3/10
Up (2009) - 7/10
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

John wrote:The Fifth Element - 2/10
BLAH
Whaaaaaaaaat??? Fifth Element is one of the best movies EVER. Totally my top 10.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

I didn't like it at all.

Death at a Funeral - 7/10
Started out ok - 5/10. I started getting into it - 6/10. In the end it was sometimes hilarious - 7/10. Entertaining chaos at a funeral.
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

The Silence of the Lambs (1991): 8/10
Se7en (1995): 6/10
12 Angry Men (1957): 8/10
Team LOS website

-
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Little Miss Sunshine 8.5/10

Been avoiding this movie for some reason, and I though I was gonna dislike it. Was a happy suprise, espesially the chemistry between Frank and Dwayne (Steve Carell and Paul Dano),
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975): 8/10
One piece: Karakuri shiro no Mecha Kyohei (2006): 6/10
Team LOS website

-
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Boomer wrote:One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975): 8/10
10/10*

And One Piece, the manga, ez 10/10. Sach wanderful humor.
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

The Leopard (1963): 7/10
Team LOS website

-
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Requiem For A Dream 9/10

Twisted and alternative, just the way I like it
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lee
37mins club