IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by pawq »

dunno, but what made me think that the movie's gonna be awesome, is the music, the climate and the gravity apples :D:D:D:D
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

gravity pipe :wink:
:mrhat:
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

inception - hmm either 8 or 9 / 10

was a good movie. movie lovers should probably really like this movie, whereas non-movie lovers wont i think.

the first 30 or so i was wondering if this movie was going to get way too complicated, but by the last hour i thought it wasnt too hard to follow what exactly was going on. no doubt you have to pay attention pretty much the whole time when watching this movie.

i felt a bit of matrix to this movie at a few points. its a fairly original movie though, i think. you cant really put this movie into a single genre. there were even a few sad points in the movie.

the acting was pretty decent by the whole cast, too.

for people who have seen it:
ending, real or a dream?
open for interpretation of course. but i think it's real. the totem looked liked it was eventually going to fall. earlier in the movie they showed it constantly spinning, and had no sway at all.
mcleod
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

spoiler, answer to bob
Honestly I think we don't give a fuck about whether it was a dream or not. If it was, then the inception would still have worked, I mean, we saw it. Then, Leonardo would see that he's dreaming, he'd kill himself and wake up for real. And then he'd go back to the real world. The option that the whole film is set in a dream is stupid because it would have no impact, I mean, it would be "ok, whatever" and anyway, the totem falling in the movie would prove the opposite. And if it's not a dream then, it's not. I really don't feel like the option of it being a dream is that much astonishing and awesome, and that's one of the reasons why I didn't rate it 10. When you see it it's like "OMFG DON'T TELL ME" but after 2 minutes of thinking you see how much you actually don't give a shit.
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

more spoilers:
to me, even if the totem didnt fall and the ending ended up being a dream, i still wouldnt have thought that the whole story was one big dream.

to me, there are two ways to look at the ending. one is that its real, and the other is that ONLY the last 2mins (when he goes home to his children) is a dream. maybe he was dreaming that moment so he would never forget that moment again, just the same way he would dream about his wife to remember her. but then again why would he need to do something like that? its not like his children died like his wife, or atleast theres nothing in the movie that supports that.

the ending felt "real" to me just from the way the totem was swaying. dunno why you didnt care about that moment - that moment was one of my favourites of the movie. i wanted the totem to fall for the characters sake, who i felt for.
mcleod
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

I mean I don't give a shit whether it is a dream or not, because in both cases it will end up the same, inception worked and everything is fine, if that's a dream he'll just wake up and do that awake. And that's the only option since the whole movie being a dream is stupid and incoherent. So, I think if it's a dream it ends up the same as if it's not, therefore we don't give a shit to know if it is or not.
Costya
Kuski

Post by Costya »

Inception 8/10

answer to bob.
the ending is real. clue is that in the the dream you have never remembered how did you get in this place. all dream scenses in this film started like this:suddenly characther happens in new location. last scenes (from the awakening) started normally.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Inception (2010): 8.5/10
There is no doubt about it, this is a great movie but I have to say something. The one thing that bothers me about Inception is its reception by the general public and media. There are basically two points of view that annoy the shit out of me:

1. "Best film of ALL TIME!!1! Best movie since The Dark Knight! Inception > TDK ! Christopher Nolan is GOD!"
2. "Was too long and complicated, it didn't make any sense, is shit."

Both of these reactions are in my opinion caused by the same fact. Casual movie-goers are bombarded with idiotic, uncreative, simplistic, heartless movies and the moment a film actually requires them to wake their brain up, it seems that their very essence is violently shaken and almost ripped apart. This seems to affect their judgement and the result is one of the two previous reactions. Believing Christopher Nolan is the best director of all time isn't something that bothers me, he is a very talented one but my problem resides in the fact that other great directors aren't even acknowledged by the public. I guess this is what I dislike about our society nowadays, it seems everybody's being force-fed by what the media is shoving down their throats without any sign of protest. And this isn't something that can only be applied to movies, it's the same in the music industry, technology, social trends. It's sickenly loathsome and it's repulsive. I can't help but feel contempt, contempt aimed at the trend setters of this world and at the same time at the gullible crap-crammed dummies whose well-being pulsate to the beat of their own gag reflex...

Inception was a great movie though.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Well said BoneLESS!
If IMDb would allow such votes I would've put 8.5 too. I initially put 8/10 but then I thought the movie through and increased my rating to a 9/10. Ignore the thing I said about maybe increasing my vote to 10/10 after a re-watch because now that my first reaction of the movie has come to it's senses I actually lowered it back to 8/10 :P I called Inception over-rated (as it is #3 on IMDb) to a co-worker and he immediately replied "but you put a 9" and I realised how fukkin contradictory my vote was. My votes are pretty random though. You can prolly give or take 2 steps on every

Christopher Nolan is a very good director indeed. His career's lows are still very high standard and the thing that fascinates me the most is that he's mega versatile since most (if not all (orka check IMDb)) of his masterpieces are written by himself.

I'll go see Inception again this week btw (most likely)
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

The film you are talking so much about: 9/10
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Event Horizon (1997) : 8/10
A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board. This movie felt somewhat reminiscent of movies such as Sphere and The Abyss while adding something the previous didn't, a very solid layer of truly-scary stuff. In addition, the movie uses different approaches to scare the shit out of the viewers; there are jump scares, creepy mood and some brutal imagery. On the story side, it's fairly well-made. Intricate enough to make you interested in the movie but not overly complicated. All-in-all, one of those great underrated horror movies of the 90s, a must watch if you like horror and hell.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Code: Select all

Predator (1987) 	                 7	7.8
Pocahontas (1995) 	               5	6.0
The Princess and the Frog (2009) 	5	7.4
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) 	4	6.4
Predator was far better than expected. Predator 2 tonight and then I'm ready for Predators having premiere on friday.

I saw Pocahontas with my sister. We mongoed around saying like "aka Jake Sully" "aka Tsu'tey" but the movie was quite nice. Average rating.

Princess and the Frog is another one I watched with my sister. Some funny scenes but just average in total.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice was somewhat entertaining and it had a number of scenes that made me laugh out loud. About halfway into the movie the funny scenes mysteriously disappeared. Strong 4.

Random votes as always.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

inception was amazing
thats all im gonna say now, before watching it once more, at least.
just checked who wrote the soundtrack... who? Hanz Zimmer! fucking ingenious mind, i just love his music, and soundtrack for Inception is no exception! absolutely amazing!!
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Predator 2 - 2/10
Shit movie. Bad script, bad post production (if that's where u add out of sync lip-sync), bad effects, annoying Bill Paxton, bad dialogue. Seen worse tho. Predator was far more entertaining.
Pawq wrote:Hanz Zimmer! fucking ingenious mind, i just love his music, and soundtrack for Inception is no exception! absolutely amazing!!
I prefer James Horner :)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

i loved first terminator too
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Predators - 6/10
Quite ok summer action flick. I noticed some scenes from the trailer wasn't in the final movie though. Maybe they had to do some major cutting. Predator beats Predators which in turn beats Predator 2.

I updated my first post in the thread adding BoneLESS' moviestats. Reading his thorough stats inspired me to update mine as well, so I put some more work into it as I couldn't sleep anyway. Now you've got 2 stats to check!
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I just saw into the wild.

For one year friends have been telling me, YOU have to see this movie. If anyone should see it then it's you. My teacher told me he was afraid of what I would do after I saw this film. I could understand why he said that before I even saw the film. If you know me, you would know exactly how I would react after watching this movie. If you don't know me, then reading this will be a way to get to know me.

I'm having a very emotional moment here guys.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Jailhouse Rock - 6/10
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

Kingdom of Heaven (2005, theatrical cut): 3/10
The Lost Battalion (2001): 3/10

._.
Team LOS website

-
infected
Kuski

Post by infected »

niN wrote:I just saw into the wild.

For one year friends have been telling me, YOU have to see this movie. If anyone should see it then it's you. My teacher told me he was afraid of what I would do after I saw this film. I could understand why he said that before I even saw the film. If you know me, you would know exactly how I would react after watching this movie. If you don't know me, then reading this will be a way to get to know me.

thats one of the best movies i've have ever seen. when seeing that picture in the end i almost started to cry, and im not the emotional guy normally
geomatric hallucinations
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

infected wrote:
niN wrote:I just saw into the wild.

thats one of the best movies i've have ever seen. when seeing that picture in the end i almost started to cry, and im not the emotional guy normally
Yes it's a powerful film! And it didn't try to be more than what the true story was. afaik anyway.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

How To Train Your Dragon - 8/10
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

I want to see that movie :O is it out on dvd?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

I saw it in the theatres, with swedish dubbing. And still 8 ;o
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Independence Day - 4/10
Annoyingly cheesy. Michael Bay must've been involved somehow.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Road - 5/10
Hot Tub Time Machine - 3/10
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

She's Out of My League - 6/10
was quite fun
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Ok finally saw Inception and can read this topic again (was afraid of spoilers).

First: No rating...

Second: Entertaining film, lots of suspense, powerful subject.

Third: Things I did not like about it.

3.1 Why, please why, always the same fucking faces. DiCaprio IS a good actor and his performance in this film IS good, but I am so tired of seeing his face, without even having seen his newer films like Shutter Island and... This tells me that Nolan wants the film to become a box office hit rather than making a really astonishing film with "unknown" actors. Seriously, first scene of the film, Leo wakes up on the beach, first thought: "Oh, so this continues where Titanic ended..."
3.2 The action. There was a lot of shooting and fighting in the film. I have no problem with that. I also understand, that the sub-cons (defenders of dreams, the guys with machineguns) are not really like real humans, more like computer enemies with low AI. So its more like the subconscious waving with a hand at an annoying fly. Okay, but then why make the action so "boring"? It felt like a mediocre action film from from the 90s, with really strenuous shootouts...
3.3 It felt like the story was altered so "not so smart" people can understand it. Allright, the beginning is kinda complicated and complex, but as soon as you find out how the whole dream and dreambuilding works, it's like "Ye I already know that... go on..." Especially in the end when they are in dream layer 3 (Snow world) they keep repeating phrases like "So we gonna use him to break into his own subconsciousness?!?" That tells me that Nolan (being Producer and Director he basically has the full authorization to decide on how the movie will be) was afraid of making it too complex, or that people would not follow. Again, minus for thinking about the audience, not the film.
3.4 I would have hoped so much to see amazing transitions from dream to reality or dream to dream just like Cronenberg does it in Naked Lunch and eXistenZ (ok not really dreams in those films but you get my point...). In Inception it's always very clear. Like die - wake up. Or fall asleep in dream - wake up in next dream.

Wow, this kinda got out of hand, but apparantly I had to say these things. Still haven't talked to anyone who seen it...

Good film.

Oh and great comment BoneLESS!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

Interesting points and I agree with you (except your criticism about the choice of Leonardo Dicaprio). When I saw Inception, I was really hoping for a suspense thriller rather than the explicit action-blockbuster movie it turned out to be.

It is a good film, very good even if you ask me, but because of the interesting concept of dream / reality and all that.. it could have been so much better. Anyway, it's nice to see that a new original work is discussed and acclaimed by the audience and many reviewers as well. I think Inception deserves more attention than these never-ending remakes and sequels to films that were not even good to begin with.
I called Inception over-rated (as it is #3 on IMDb) to a co-worker and he immediately replied "but you put a 9" and I realised how fukkin contradictory my vote was.
- John

Yes, Inception is hailed and loved by many and "BEST FILM EVER!!1" and all that. But I don't think you should base your votes and views on ratings from IMDb to much. Perhaps this is not true but this is at least the feeling I have.
Team LOS website

-
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

nice points, insane guy.

First of all, i'm not a massive fan of Nolan, and think The Dark Knight is very overrated, with the exception of Heath Ledger's role as The Joker. Inception is a great film, but no where near the best of all time, but hey, that's all opinion.

I hated Leo back in the Titanic days, but found a lot of love for him when i finally got around to watching Gilbert Grape a few years ago, and loved him in The Departed. I don't agree with you on the choice of Leo. sure, Leo's bankability may have been a nice selling point, but consider that Nolan may have actually chose him because he believed that he was the best person to play the character. fair enough too, he is a great actor and played the role very well.

the action in the film was alright, but nothing to write home about. i always get pissed off when 5000 bullets seem to miss, especially when shot by the well trained. but hey, thats nothing new.

like the start of the film, it would have been nice to have the whole film more a little more complex than it turned out to be. even though i'm not that intelligent, i love movies that make you think, movies like Donnie Darko.

a good film. solid 8 i think.

also, go watch Shutter Island, insane guy. nice movie to discuss about with others who have seen it.
mcleod
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Gomorrah - 5/10 :/
Quite disappointed. Too long, not megainteresting although it's based on true events. Luckily I don't think I paid too much for the bluray.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Date Night (2010) 8/10
Was really really funny!

Had a movie night with some guys from school last saturday, and saw the following:

El Topo (1970) 2/10
Only giving it a 2 because I actually laughed quite a bit, over how bad/weird it was.

Rambo (2008) 2/10

Shutter Island (2010) 3/10
It got quite interesting in the end, but the first half or so was just so boring that I can't give it more than a 3.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) 5/10

Not the most succesful night moviewise no ;)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

you have the weirdest movie taste, kopaka :L
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Kopaka, fill out that Moviestats.txt in my first post. I'm curious to see it :)
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Yeah, Kopa's taste always confused the shit outta me :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

sherlock holmes couldve been way better :( not impsy bad anyway =)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 6/10
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Vampires Suck - 3/10
Better than Eclipse ;D Lead actress captured Kristen Stewart's twitching, absent acting spot on. Some scenes were pretty funny but yeah this is a bad movie. I like how they spoiled the ending of the last book (or so I heard) :p

Total Recall - 5/10
An OK 90's scifi. Weak 5. Speaking of Verhoeven movies I liked Black Book much more.
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

Vanilla Sky (2001): 6/10.

First half was pretty good, then it turned into an Inception-light thingie with concepts of dream/reality and sach. Great soundtrack though...
Team LOS website

-
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

The Happening (2008) 4/10
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Xiphias wrote:you have the weirdest movie taste, kopaka :L
totally :mrgreen: date movie 8/10 wtf.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Lukazz wrote:
not date movie, but date night, there's big difference, date movie is a parody like scary movie and one of the worst movies I've ever seen, date night is an original movie (:
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Date night still isn't good enough to be 8/10 :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Kopaka wrote:
Lukazz wrote:
not date movie, but date night, there's big difference, date movie is a parody like scary movie and one of the worst movies I've ever seen, date night is an original movie (:
ok sry. ;o still weird taste. ;D
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The world. 10/10
If you are a gamer, you HAVE to see this movie, it's fucking amazing.
Image Cyberscore! Image
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Solomon Kane - 6/10
A generous 6 based mainly on the mood and cinematography. Is this a good B-movie or a decent A-movie? I couldn't tell.
Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

The Last Drop (2005): 2/10
Team LOS website

-
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Grown Ups - 5/10
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Boomer
39mins club

Post by Boomer »

Tekken (2010): 1/10

:)
Team LOS website

-