Books

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

error
Kuski
Team: 27

Books

Post by error »

Book is this a good :roll: lol
I love Christopher Stasheff and his books about "The Warlock"
What's like book for you?
twitch streams | one-handed | EOL winrate 20.1 %
SveinR
Moporator

Re: Books

Post by SveinR »

I love reading; to be completely immersed in the thoughts and feelings of the characters and creating images in my head of the different situations and settings. When I think back on books I have read, I get the images of these different scenes in my head, so it kinda feels like I have "seen" the books, like having seen a movie.

My favourite books and authors:

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales and more..

George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty-Four, Animal Farm. Will also read probably most of his work eventually; I've read Down and Out in Paris and London too, which also was brilliant. Orwell is certainly one of the greatest authors and human beings in history, no exaggeration.

J.K. Rowling: The Harry Potter series.

Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy", and the Dirk Gently books are hilarous too, as well as everything in The Salmon of Doubt. Should also read Last Chance to See one day..

Lars Saabye Christensen: Beatles.

Ingvar Ambjørnsen: Hvite Niggere.

Unfortunately though, I haven't read any books since last summer, I just get too tired and also not have too much time when it's not a vacation. But I'll hopefully read a lot of books this summer, I have some 10 unread books in the shelf here.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Harry Potter series rules. :D The Deathly hallows was max.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

FinMan wrote:Harry Potter series rules. :D The Deathly hallows was max.
Definitely. Reading all 7 books consecutively last summer was an enormous reading experience; nothing can top that enjoyment :)
I just hope the final two movies will be able to do the books justice, the books (and Rowling, of course) deserve it.
Rules | FAQ
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

My list will prolly look quite like Sveinrs', but here we go:

Simon Singh: Fermat's Last Theorem, Big Bang. Only books by him I've read so far, but they are really good and well written. His way of making you think you understand what you're reading is amazing, and the way he can make an exciting 300 paged long book about a single maths equation, is almost beyond belief.

Jules Verne: Journey to the Center of the Earth and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea are probably my favourite books by this extraordinary author. I read them for the very first time at a very young age, and before that, my dad used to read them for me before going to sleep. I have read far from all of his books, but I am planning on reading most of them in the future. One can't afford to miss his books, they are simply some of the greatest of all time.

George Orwell:
Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm. will have to be my favourite books made by this author. His way of writing is only topped by his amazing plots.

Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy", The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency are the only books by Douglas Adams I've read so far. These are amazing stories, plot-wise and humor-wise.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings is an amazing book, and also the only book made by Tolkien I have read. Got quite bummed after seeing the movies, because now when i try to re-read the books, i can't go back picturing the characters and places like I did before, which is quite sad, because thanks to his brilliant way of describing things, I had really 'painted up' an amazing world, based only on Tolkiens' words, and my fantasy.

Kurt Vonnegut:
The Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle Are my personal favourites. Vonnegut is an amazing writer when it comes to humor. One can clearly see his books have been great inspiration for eg. Douglas Adams. "Well done, Mr. Vonnegut, well done."

Dan Brown: Digital Fortress and Angels & Demons are his first books, and also my favourites. To be honest, the Da-Vinci Code was prolly the least good book, however, it's not like I regret reading it. Also, I see it only like fiction, I do not belive that what he's writing is true or so, I only see it as a good story. Deception Point Was a really nice book aswell, I really enjoyed the plot, and also, I like his way of writing. Unlike say Jules Verne, Tolkien and Douglas Adams, he writes in a very easy and simple way, which allows you to 'sink in' into the book more easily. I am really looking forward to read The Solomon Key
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

ok, here goes my whanebe-cultural contribution to this thread. I dont read much, wish I would have read more. But when I actually read books I kinda like adventurebooks like Robinson Crusoe and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Also enjoyed the few Harry Potter-books Ive stumbled upon. Another good book Ive read which has also become a decent movie is Evil (Ondskan in swedish) by swedish author Jan Guillou.

Ive always been more into books about interesting subjects like dinosaurs (as a kid), astronomy etc. Im quite tempted to take on the LOTR-books by Tolkien tho. </theend>
error
Kuski
Team: 27

Post by error »

R. Scott Bakker: "The Darkness That Comes Before", “The Warrior Prophet”
Very nice books about warlocks and warriors, might and magic!
twitch streams | one-handed | EOL winrate 20.1 %
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I like hemingway much, also salman rushdie's satanic verses were great read. which reminds me of the small book "being there" by some author, which was definitely great, also for people who never read thanks to its small size. I think they made it to a movie aswell, but I recommend the book ofcourse.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

tijsjoris wrote:which reminds me of the small book "being there" by some author
Computer says Jerzy Kosiński.
Rules | FAQ
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, indeed him it was. Go read it!
Baru_Zool
Kuski

Post by Baru_Zool »

Andrzej Sapkowski - Narrenturm, Warriors of God (Bozy bojownicy in polish) and Lux Perpetua and of course The Witcher series.

Henryk Sienkiewicz - Trilogy (With Fire and Sword [Ogniem i mieczem in polish], The Deluge [Potop in polish], Fire in the Steppe [Pan Wolodyjowski in polish]) Quo Vadis and The Teutonic Knights (Krzyzacy in polish)

J.R.R. Tolkien - LOTR series, Silmarillion, Hobbit, The Adventures of the Tom Bombadil

Dan Brown - Angels & Demons, Digital Fortress, Da Vinci Code

J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter series

James Clavell - Shogun

John Jakes - Trilogy (North and South, Love and War, Heaven and Hell)

Margaret Mitchell - Gone with the Wind of course but I guess it might be funny for someone who thinks this book is kinda "girlish". But it isn't! This is one of the 'bestest' book I've ever read! :D

There were also many other books but here I mentioned those the bestest. :evil:
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Baru_Zool wrote: Dan Brown - Angels & Demons, Digital Fortress, Da Vinci Code
Deception Point is way better than the Da Vinci Code ;o
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Baru_Zool
Kuski

Post by Baru_Zool »

I have to read it. :D
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Igge wrote:
Baru_Zool wrote: Dan Brown - Angels & Demons, Digital Fortress, Da Vinci Code
Deception Point is way better than the Da Vinci Code ;o
both are quite different and excellent in their own genre
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Yeah Harry Potter's books are fabulous but movies are going down. First was nice, second was okay, third was deceiving, fourth was crap and fifth was a real joke. I don't expect much from the movies.
:mrhat:
Are
Kuski

Post by Are »

John wrote:Another good book Ive read which has also become a decent movie is Evil (Ondskan in swedish) by swedish author Jan Guillou.
Ondskan is an awesome book. One of my favorites of all time :)

I have read too many good books by too many good authors to list them all, but some of my favorite authors (and some of my favorite books by them) include:

J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Silmarillion)
J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series)
Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series)
Steven Erikson (A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series)
Peter F. Hamilton (Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, Night's Dawn series)
George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire series)
Stephen King (The Dark Tower series, The Stand, It, The Shawshank Redemption and many others)
Robert Ludlum (Jason Bourne trilogy, The Matarese Circle and many others. Don't read the books written after his death!)
Jan Guillou (Ondskan, Arn series, Carl Hamilton series)
John Grisham (A Time to Kill, The Firm, The Runaway Jury and many others)
Alistair MacLean (HMS Ulysses, The Guns of Navarone, Fear is the Key, Where Eagles Dare and many others)
Tom Clancy (Jack Ryan series)
Neil Gaiman (Stardust, Sandman comic book series)
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

Baru_Zool wrote:Andrzej Sapkowski - Narrenturm, Warriors of God (Bozy bojownicy in polish) and Lux Perpetua and of course The Witcher series.
The Witcher series are awesome! i've read 6 books out of 7 and have the 7th one.. i wonder what is the troubadours original name in polish? :)

last things i've read are "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse and "The Fall" by Albert Camus. now i'm reading "Process" by Franz Kafka.. :D
Rock n Roll All Night and party everyday
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

The only books I can recall atm that I've read and really enjoyed were LOTR, Harry Potter, Silence of the Lambs, Artemis Fowl, and perhaps from long ago: Tom Sawyer, Robinson Cruso and all the Jules Verne books I could get a hold of (Mysterious Island I've read like 7 times)
39:37,91
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

reading 1-3 books a year, but kinda too lazy to go to library so just re-reading some olds. atm reading the last juror by john grisham, it's some old christmas present i har gött. I like books for the very same reason sveinr said in his post, to make it short, imagination
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Quite some time since I read some really great book worth mentioning. Must be Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn.

Some years ago, I was almost obsessed by the world created by J.R.R. Tolkien. I've read all his books except The Book of Lost Tales several times. Browsed many sites about Tolkien, LOTR etc. It was the LOTR-films that started my interest for his books (although I've read the trilogy before I saw the films).

Other books I've enjoyed:

James Clavell: Shogun (there is also a very good tv-series from 1980)
Victor Hugo: Les Misérables
David Eddings: The Redemption of Althalus (not so fond of Eddings otherwise)
Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the only book I've read by Adams :X)
Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six
Arthur Conan Doyle: The Lost World (psst, igge: Don Rosa's Escape from Forbidden Valley is inspired by this book, check it out kk?) Every book by Conan Doyle has been remarkable for me.
James Hilton: Lost Horizon, And Now Goodbye, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Random Harvest
Alexandre Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo
Giovanni Boccaccio: The Decameron
Hans Hellmut Kirst: Officer Factory
Salman Rushdie: Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Oh, almost forgot the Harry Potter series. Much better in english than the crappy versions in swedish.

Must be some others I forgot as well. Anyway, must get to read some of your favorites. Haven't read a single book by George Orwell, Dan Brown and Jules Verne :oops:
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Baru_Zool
Kuski

Post by Baru_Zool »

Staar wrote: The Witcher series are awesome! i've read 6 books out of 7 and have the 7th one.. i wonder what is the troubadours original name in polish? :)
The name was Jaskier, though I dunno what the name was in english version. xD
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

William Kotzwinkle - Fan Man
Stephen King - The Dark Tower (propably best book/s I read in my life), The Stand
William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

neale donald walsch - read most of his books
'forgot that guys name' - the prophet
'somebody' - prophecies of celestine

about to read
hermann hesse's siddharta

looking forward to read
more jan van helsing books, especially his newer ones
maybe another good fictional story, been quite a while ;P
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

doubt anybodies heard of it, but my favorite books of all time would definitely have to be the 10 book series of the Thomas Covenant Chronicles
God Bless America
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

A few years back I never read books, but have started reading a little lately. Earlier I read some biographies but am mostly reading fiction now.

Biographies: Peter Schmeichel, Michael Laudrup, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears.
Alias Novels: Read first four so far.
Nicholas Sparks: The Notebook and A Walk To Remember, this must be the best books I've read, read them after watching the movies, which I absolutely loved too.
Murikami: Norwegian Wood
Don Rosa: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, eventhough it's a comic, I consider this to be among the best books I've read.

All the books I've mentioned here I've bought, as I like to have them and because I prefer reading them in english.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Kopaka wrote: Don Rosa: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, eventhough it's a comic, I consider this to be among the best books I've read.
Svenir and I were debating whether this could be concidered a book, and if so, indeed, it's a very, very good book. <3 Don Rosa
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i only read lauta.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

lauta-books :roll:
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

downloading some audiobooks atm, planning on putting them on my mp3player and listen at work...

"1984" by Orwell
"Universe in a nutshell" by Stephen Hawking
14 horrorstories by Edgar Allan Poe ;o
The whole LOTR-trilogy by Tolkien
OtorK
37mins club

Post by OtorK »

Goodfather by Mario Puzo is really max
read it
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Jappe wrote:
John wrote:downloading some audiobooks atm, planning on putting them on my mp3player and listen at work...
i often listen to audiobooks while playing elma, good way of combining fun&education. it can be hard to listen if you need to think alot in your work or such thou. elma is quite no brains needed so ez hoyl balles and listen. last one i did was "demon haunted world: science as a candle in the dark", was pretty nice, listened to 15h in 3 days, which also means many hours in elma since i only listen while playing ;P
coal, my work is a no-brainer, just repetitive factorywork ;p
duno what book to start with from my list up there, anyone have any suggestion?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

everyone ought to read 1984, so ez start with that one ;D
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

Found a translation of one short story.

i red this (in non-traslated version) in about ~15-16 y.o. and got depressed for whole evening+night, and decided to never read this again.
but was reading after that ofc)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... MmEyOTM5OA
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

not that much of a bookworm since like middle school
currently i'm reading paul hoffmann's biography-ish about paul erdos hun mathematician
very fun book, very fun man. can reccommend
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Marcin
Kuski

Post by Marcin »

1. Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious - Timothy D. Wilson
2. Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change - Timothy D. Wilson
3. Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
4. You Are Not So Smart - David McRaney
+ Do you know when you are lying to yourself?
+ Are other people REALLY looking at you?
+ The Third Person Effect
+ Why Nobody is Doing Anything About the State of the Planet
5. What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite - David DiSalvo
6. Brain Changer: How Harnessing Your Brain's Power to Adapt Can Change Your Life - David DiSalvo
7. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey

----------

The Lost Language of Symbolism
Harold Bayley

There's always a story behind the story, but the keenest observers have to break through the surface to reach it. This remarkable book reveals the hidden meaning behind familiar images and words, from the origins of Santa Claus and the meaning of Cinderella's name to the metaphoric significance of the unicorn and the fleur-de-lys.
A prominent authority on symbols, author Harold Bayley spent years gathering and compiling the contents of this volume. Mythology, folklore, religious texts, and fairy tales from around the world constitute his primary sources. Bayley also draws upon the secret traditions of ancient cultures and medieval mystical sects to deconstruct the symbols embedded in watermarks and printers' emblems. Most of these images have lost their earliest significance and now serve strictly commercial purposes; Bayley explains their original meanings, and he cross-references similarities between symbols and stories across the globe to illuminate their evolving cultural significance. More than 1,400 illustrations enhance this classic work, which features an index for ease of reference.
VOL. 1 https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.44933
VOL. 2 https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.44934

----------

John A. Keel:
Jadoo
Operation Trojan Horse
Our Haunted Planet
The Mothman Prophecies
The Eighth Tower
Disneyland of the Gods
The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
Flying Saucer to the Center of Your Mind

John Keel and His Adventures into Unreality

John Keel: The Eighth Tower

The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel (the book)

John Keel and Operation Trojan Horse

----------

Iain McGilchrist "The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World"
Why is the brain divided? The difference between right and left hemispheres has been puzzled over for centuries. In a book of unprecedented scope, Iain McGilchrist draws on a vast body of recent brain research, illustrated with case histories, to reveal that the difference is profound—not just this or that function, but two whole, coherent, but incompatible ways of experiencing the world. The left hemisphere is detail oriented, prefers mechanisms to living things, and is inclined to self-interest, where the right hemisphere has greater breadth, flexibility, and generosity. This division helps explain the origins of music and language, and casts new light on the history of philosophy, as well as on some mental illnesses.

In the second part of the book, McGilchrist takes the reader on a journey through the history of Western culture, illustrating the tension between these two worlds as revealed in the thought and belief of thinkers and artists, from Aeschylus to Magritte. He argues that, despite its inferior grasp of reality, the left hemisphere is increasingly taking precedence in the modern world, with potentially disastrous consequences. This is truly a tour de force that should excite interest in a wide readership.

----------

Perry Marshall "Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin and Design"

Darwin's Black Box - Michael J. Behe and Intelligent Design

Darwinism, Creationism... How About Neither?

Evolution's Struggle with Complexity and New Genes

Evolution - A Modern Fairy Tale

The Probability of Evolution

How the Incoherent Theory of Evolution Distorts Our Thinking

----------

1. Idea of History - R. G. Collingwood
2. Speculum Mentis - R. G. Collingwood
3. Anatomy of Violence - Adrian Raine
4. Gurdjieff & Hypnosis - Mohammad Tamdgidi
5. Psychopathy - Andrea L. Glenn & Adrian Raine
6. Inside the Criminal Mind - Stanton E. Samenow
7. The Myth of the Out of Character Crime - Stanton E. Samenow
8. Whoever Fights Monsters - Robert K. Ressler & Tom Shachtman
9. The Psychopath Inside: A Neuroscientist's Personal Journey into the Dark Side of the Brain - James Fallon
10. The Psychopathic God: Adolph Hitler - Robert Waite
11. Healing Developmental Trauma - L. Heller and A. LaPierre
12. The Righteous Mind - Jonathan Haidt
13. Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race - Michael A. Cremo

Collingwood's Idea of History & Speculum Mentis

Gurdjieff's Primitive Cosmology

3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Raine, Samenow, Fallon: Neuropsychology & The Work

The Psychopathic God: Adolf Hitler

Healing Developmental Trauma by L. Heller and A. LaPierre

The Righteous Mind - Jonathan Haidt and Liberal vs Conservative ethics

Denisovans - 400,000 year-old clue to human origins