science and the paranormal

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

western
Kuski

science and the paranormal

Post by western »

last night, people were debating on the subject of "science and the paranormal." while it was nice talk, given the chat-instinct, coherence was something left to be desired.

debating should be done on the higher levels:
http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html

if you’re here to discredit your opponent, it might not be the right place. try talking about ideas rather than talking about people.
positions should be held according to what have been said before you. this isn't a show of opinions; this is a process of problem solving.
Last edited by western on 17 Dec 2008, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
insane guy
Kuski

Re: science and the paranormal

Post by insane guy »

Jappe wrote:1. the topic has nothing to do with science and the paranormal, its about debating and how you think it should be done
2. im pretty sure there is already a topic about debating
3. you dont, nor does anyone else, decide 'how debating should be done'
4. this topic is lame attempt from you to sound intelligent, actually almost every post from you is such attempt, you manage to fail every time
5. u r a fag!!!!!!!!!!
6. if you are looking for serious debate, mopolauta is most certanly not the best place for such
7. please leave the forum for good and go be full time wikipedia-nazi, after all, thats what you do best
8. cock in ass topic
9. my 1000th post, fucking great
OT: this was almost a bit funny post.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

answer me this:
how can anything be paranormal?
Rock n Roll All Night and party everyday
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

well as was said in Belma, i believe that everything has a natural explanation, thus paranormal doesn't exist, BUT until science explains what that explanation is, it stays paranormal? it makes sense to me.

=] and Number 10 was the funniest.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

The topic is not very well defined. What are we suppose to debate about? If paranormal exists? If science can prove every seemingly paranormal event? If science even exists?

I personnaly believe in science and i think everything could be solved with science. Still, events like the Big Bang for example are hardly provable. Eventhough some scientists might think they have proved it, a few singularities are yet to be explained. What are those singularities? Is it simply a matter of time before we prove these also? Or is something more abstract, less scientific behind it all?

And even though i believe in science, i have always had a hard time trying to figure out how this world in which we live in could ever exist. The only thought of all existence starting from one precise point in the past is simply beyond me. How could there be nothing at one point, then some particles (or whatever was before the big bang), then an explosion, then the world as we live in?

I am no expert about the subject and the big bang was just one example out there.

And about paranormal, i have always thought paranormal was the equivalent of religion. What we don't understand, we explain it with religion (beliefs, more often wrong than false).

Have not much to say about paranormal as i never encountered it nor do i believe in it.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

if u can't explain something, doesn't mean it's not normal. it's perfectly normal that your knowledge capability is limited.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

The_BoneLESS wrote:How could there be nothing at one point, then some particles (or whatever was before the big bang), then an explosion, then the world as we live in?
If it was one point it had infinite density and therefore speed of time was zero, so in BB theory the time starts from the bang, there were no time before.
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

there's also this other theory, i think it's called the big bounce, that explains what was before the big bang. there was a universe which was unlike ours not expanding but on the contrary -shrinking. and so it shrank to one point. because of such big density (whole universe in one point ;o ) a lot of energy generated and the temperature got hiiiiiigh and the bang happened ;)
Mushroom
Kuski

Post by Mushroom »

SmaXa wrote:well as was said in Belma, i believe that everything has a natural explanation, thus paranormal doesn't exist, BUT until science explains what that explanation is, it stays paranormal? it makes sense to me.
So high temp superconductivity and the small mass of neutrinoes is paranormal because we have no real theory for it? :/
nick-o-matic wrote: If it was one point it had infinite density and therefore speed of time was zero, so in BB theory the time starts from the bang, there were no time before.
Well the density maybe infinity, but that depends on if space is continous or if it is divided in small spaces. The universe doesn't have infinite mass, so only if the point is infinetly small will the density be infinity.
I believe in most theories about small stuff space isn't continous, not sure though :/