Chemistry experiences (irl)

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Chemistry experiences (irl)

Post by Mawane »

some experiences in lab with my class. yes i'm studying to become a laboratory technician
2 lasts were latex glove and after apple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_o5HQGum4U
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Zweq
34mins club

Re: Chemistry experiences (irl)

Post by Zweq »

antz is also going to be chemist balle bulle, im sure he'd like to chat with you on irc and talk about chemistry
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i'm studying chemistry this year :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Mushroom
Kuski

Post by Mushroom »

I don't get it. Just a bunch of children playing with liquid nitrogen, what's the deal? waste of 3 mins of my life ;(
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Mushroom wrote:I don't get it. Just a bunch of children playing with liquid nitrogen, what's the deal? waste of 3 mins of my life ;(
haha I stopped earlier, maybe 1,5 minutes, still sucks cause I even turned music off.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

why did u put dildo in the barrel????????+ 8O

E: oh it was a balloon..
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

which one of the kids are u?
Rock n Roll All Night and party everyday
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

lol, they are children of another teacher, which couldnt find a babysitter
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I have had my share of chemistry with some girls, so you say you have too? (in real life?)
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

what the hell does dipping balloons in liquid nitrogen have to do with chemistry? (answer: nothing much, since it's physics, not chemistry.) WHOA the volume of gas is related to its temperature, ain't that an endless well of fun!

i feel showing useless experiments like this to people only enforces their perception that chemistry/physics is useless. Rather synthesize some simple useful substances and show their usage. chemistry is about creating things, after all. (purely analytical chemistry naturally not, but who'd want to do boring stuff like that anyway? i'll answer again: some talentless people whose skills extend to inserting a sample into a machine and printing out what it's made of)

i like the logical puzzle that is chemical synthesis, myself. Extract a substance from nature and figure out how to synthesize it. There's a pile of rules on how the puzzle works and by following them you try get from simple commercially available precursors to the specific end product.

e.g. how would you go about creating this?
(it's called mono.marginine. you won't find an answer from google though since no-one's synthesized it yet)

i have come up with a probable synthesis route for it, but it's just a theoretical study i'm doing for a chem course so i doubt i'll ever try it for real.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

shatefak?
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

i have to agree that this is not really representative of chemistry :P
this is like freestyle chemistry with no particular use, only to impress (?) people who doesnt know about PV=nRT
something representative would be to "caracterise a compound by qualitative tests and quantitative to evaluate the dose and physical attributes" which describe pretty well in summary what i'm studying actually

i guess you are more studying organic domain to talk about this molecule
i had 2 courses of 75h each in organic and i know only the base, so dont ask me to synthetise something complex, lol
i won't go to university, technician statut is enough for me, i dont wanna think the reactions but do the experimentation
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Antz wrote:what the hell does dipping balloons in liquid nitrogen have to do with chemistry?
Nitrogen is an element. Chemistry.

nais chem wiz though antz.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

SmaXa wrote:Nitrogen is an element. Chemistry.
physical characteristics of certain elements, and the physical relation of temperature and volume. hush now.
Mushroom
Kuski

Post by Mushroom »

Only use for chemistry is "over the counter" recipies for drugs ;) . Do share if you have any :).

Anyway physics for the win!!! Our bombs are way stronger than your silly chemistry bombs. (yes that is the way to measure usefullness of different scientific subjects)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Antz wrote:
SmaXa wrote:Nitrogen is an element. Chemistry.
physical characteristics of certain elements, and the physical relation of temperature and volume. hush now.
It's chemistry indeed. We've barely talked about this in physics class, however we've done extensive work with the ideal gas law in chemistry class. I'd say it's mainly used in chemistry, even if it does apply to some physics.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Igge wrote:It's chemistry indeed. We've barely talked about this in physics class, however we've done extensive work with the ideal gas law in chemistry class. I'd say it's mainly used in chemistry, even if it does apply to some physics.
i'm well aware that it is used in chemistry. i've not studied physics so i wouldn't know what you study there. however, it IS still categorized under physics. ideal gas law is a subcategory of statistical mechanics, which is a subfield in physics. semantics, you might say. i might agree. i don't wish to debate this further since i've reached the end of my arguments for it.

on a side note, i wrapped up a plausible synthesis mechanism for the molecule of mine earlier today and figured i might as well share it. took quite a few hours of work overall, now just hoping the teacher will accept most of it at least. -> http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/Wm266600.jpg
Mushroom
Kuski

Post by Mushroom »

Wow nice picture :o . How do you make such synthesis? Make some guesses and then look up some typical reactions?

I've worked with the ideal gas law in two courses, thermodynamics and statistical physics (only briefly here).

Edit: I'm half finished with a bachelor in physics. (I don't know if it's called and undergraduate or something :? )
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

better living yet?
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Mushroom wrote:How do you make such synthesis? Make some guesses and then look up some typical reactions?
Yeah pretty much. you come up with a route for getting to the target and start checking if anyone's ever managed to do similar reactions. It gets really tricky since you easily lose structures you've built earlier when you try to add new ones. Most of the time you end up having to dump the whole plan and starting from scratch when you get to a dead end and there's no known reactions to further the synthesis.

The key point to this synthesis was the reaction F. Connecting the rightmost nitrogen to the orientation it is in the product molecule proved to be extremely difficult, but when we realized we could start from an indole and reorient the double bonds to perfectly match the product, we finally managed to complete the synthesis with plausible reactions on every step.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Antz what's with all of teh hidden emo remarks in that pic? =/ you emo or something?
or those aren't hidden at all and you are a ome person? (someone being the completely opposite of emo, like extemely optimistic and happy)
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

deleted post.
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Xiphias wrote:Antz what's with all of teh hidden emo remarks in that pic? =/ you emo or something?
or those aren't hidden at all and you are a ome person? (someone being the completely opposite of emo, like extemely optimistic and happy)

(-OMe is methoxy group, -OCH3)
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Antz wrote:how would you go about creating this?
(it's called mono.marginine. you won't find an answer from google though since no-one's synthesized it yet)

i have come up with a probable synthesis route for it, but it's just a theoretical study i'm doing for a chem course so i doubt i'll ever try it for real.
so, you got an answer? from your teacher?