how to capture, edit and create a movie

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

User
Kuski

how to capture, edit and create a movie

Post by User »

john asked me to do some tutorial, and cocok asked list of programs i have used so i cover them both here, i put this in non-elma related because this can be used elsewhere too and didnt know where else to put

Capturing

programs i use: fraps(need full, watermark in video otherwise), constfps by milagros, videomach (need full version, watermark in video otherwise), D3DWindower
i wont be going to too much detail about these programs, i will just list all the steps you need to go trough
capturing with constfps is slower and requires more work, i recommend fraps. with constfps you need to first dump the frames as image sequence and then join the images together as video with videomach. the framedump is also very slow if you run it fullscreen, use D3DWindower to run elma in windowed mode. also set elma resolution to the resolution you want your video to be in before capturing if using fraps. if you plan to upload it to youtube, use 16:9 resolution, and even if you plan to not render it as HD, its always good to have the maximum quality source files. so capture the clips in high resolution, you can always scale it down but the image quality suffers if you scale bad quality footage to higher resolution

capturing with constantfps
1. set the resolution to whatever you want from constfps own setup (elmaconfX.exe) also set the zoom you want etc. set the desired fps from FPSconf.exe. pal is 25 frames per seconds, NTSC is 29.97, i use NTSC. higher fps will obviously result in smoother video playback but increases the file size also
2. use d3dwindower to run constfps.exe. it runs like normal elma now but in windowed mode, go to replays and select the replay you want to use in your video, let it run until it has dumped all the pcx files in, ie, it plays through the replay once.
3. now you have tons of images in your elma folder, open videomach and go to open file or something, cant remember right now. open the first imagefile and it asks "it seems like this image is part of a sequence, open all the images" or something like that, choose yes. now videomach shows you the image sequence as a movie. now you can save the clip as movie, there is button for it somewhere "save movie" or such. make sure you use same resolution and framerate as the original images, also dont compress the movie yet with any codecs, save it as uncompressed avi, it will be a big file but you want to keep the quality as good as possible and only render the end product with the codec of your choosing.

capturing with fraps
1. run fraps, go to "movies" tab and select to capture in full size, choose frames per second here too, again pal is 25 fps, NTSC is 29.97. you can choose "record sound" but no point if you are not planning to use elma sounds in the movie (everyone hates it so why would you?). set elma resolution to whatever you are going to use and set zoom like you normally would. no need to run it windowed now but you can if you want
2. open elma and go to replay files, go to replay you want, press the fraps record key and play the replay, fraps now records the replay for as long as you press the record key again. the clip is now saved to folder you specified in fraps options.

resolution and framerate
you can basicly use any you want as long as its 4:3 or 16:9. youtube supports both but 16:9 is preferred. 720p is 1280x720 resolution and youtube supports it, some video sites even support full HD which is 1920x1080. i recommend you use at least 720p if you have enough hdd space and your computer can handle editing such big files, one minute replay can take 1gb uncompressed. framerate should always be at least 25. use the previously mentioned PAL or NTSC framerates for best compability with youtube and other services.

Editing

programs i use: sony vegas pro, windows movie maker, adobe after effects
again, i wont be going into detailed explanations on how to use these programs i just describe the basic functions and basic stuff, like importing the files you just created by capturing them, adding them to timeline and some tips on transitions etc.

windows movie maker
this is the only program on my list that is free and comes with windows. this program only has the basic stuff but it does the job.
1. go to tools -> options -> advanced. check if the video properties correspond to the ones in your clips, if not, change them accordingly
2. import the clips into movie maker by selectin "import into collections"
3. now you can start placing the files into timeline, if storyboard is visible instead, press "show timeline". first you might want to create some kind of intro text though, you can do this by going to tools -> title and credits. check out stuff from there, im sure you can figure it out.
4. place the clips into timeline at the order you want them to be, simply drag and drop. if you want text into the clips themselves you can do this from tools -> title and credits too. from tools -> transitions you can choose transitions in between clips, just drag and drop them to desired place too
5. when you got everything ready and you want to render the movie, go to file -> save movie, more about this in the rendering section

sony vegas pro
this program is much more advanced than windows movie maker but its not free, buy it or warez it. being more advanced, it also means you need more time to learn it but its not that hard.
1. go to file -> new. set all video properties here to the same resolution and framerate you used in your captured clips. you can choose from templates too if you used PAL or NTSC settings i told you. i use captured video in 720p as example here. there is template for it called "HDV 720p-30" this has the resolution of 1280x720 and framerate of 29.97. pixel aspect ratio 1. and progressive scan, this means it displays each frame as a whole, upper or lower field first means its interlaced, updating lower and upper field on alternating frames, you should not use that, its used in tv broadcasts etc because it requires less bandwidth but we dont have to worry about that here. pixel format can be as they are. press ok.
2. import your clips into sony vegas pro by going to file -> import -> media. choose the clips you wish to use.
3. now you can start throwing stuff into timeline. pretty much the same as in movie maker. you can put text from insert -> text media. there is tab for different video transitions and effects in the top left portion of the screen. basic transitions dont require you to add any transition though, just set the "fade offset" by dragging the small blue triangle from the corner of the clip on the timeline. do this for end of one clip, and the beginning of the next clip
4. when you have places all your clips in correct order, its time to render your movie, go to file -> render as. more about this in render section

adobe after effects
this is a professional video editing tool used for special effects and the like, it can be used for normal video editing too though, but i have not used it in that way. the learning curve for this program is quite steep and you need a powerfull computer if you want to make all the fancy stuff. i wont do any tutorial on this because of the complexity, if you want to make some nice looking intros and clips in between replays you can check this one out. check out some tutorials from the internets to get started. if you know photoshop then its easier to learn after effects, this is basicly like a photoshop for video

Rendering

now that you have created your movie on the timeline its time to make the final product, rendering basicly means "to make ready". you compress the file now to suitable format and use codec to get the file size smaller but still retain good quality. like i said earlier always use uncompressed files when editing them, so you have the best quality to render from, you can always go down but never up on the quality scale.

the basics
when rendering there are few things you need to take into account, these are:
what resolution am i going to use
what container am i going to use (.avi etc)
what codec am i going to use (xvid, divx, h.264 etc)
what bitrate am i going to use (bits processed/sec in this case)

resolutions:
you can freely choose the resolution but aspect ratio should be the same as the original clips had. in this point you need to decide where you are going to use it, if you create video for download, it doesnt really matter what you use, but for youtube you need to use certain resolutions in order to maximaze quality. these resolutions are:
1280x720 (HD resolution)
480x360 (high quality)
320x240 (standard quality)
for 4:3 you can use 640x480 etc but again i dont recommend using 4:3 aspect ratio

always try to upload the highest resolution possible to youtube, then youtubes converting thingy has the best quality possible to work with and the end result looks the best

container and codec
container is basicly the file format, the factor that decides if its going to be .avi or .mpeg etc. as container i recommend mp4. as for the codec. h.264 is industry standard, its a very good codec and gives good quality and still the file size is decent. the drawback is that it requires a license to use, i think. so windows movie maker can not render this. commercial programs like sony vegas can however. sound codec should be mp3 or AAC, i prefer AAC, sampling rate 44.1kHz and stereo sound.
here is more about youtubes preferred codecs etc: optimizing video for youtube

bitrate
bitrate also plays important factor in what quality you are going to get. is dependant from codec too, so using different codec might cause lower quality with same bitrate as some other codec. i give some guidelines however: for HD footage use 2000-6000kbps for lower resolution you can use something around 1000

rendering your movie with windows movie maker
1. go to file -> save movie file
2. choose to save the file to own computer, click next, set name and location for file, click next. from here you can you choose the resolution. wmm has very few options and cant even render in HD as far as i know. you can choose "best file fit to size:" and raise the filesize until its the best you can get, 2mbps bitrate seems to be maximum and resolution 720x480 in 16:6 aspect ratio. because of these limited options i really dont recommed using wmm

rendering your movie with sony vegas
1. go to file -> render as
2. choose filename here and from "save as type" choose the container of your choosing, "sony AVC" is good. you can use "internet 16:9 HD 30p" template if you are going to render in 720p, go to custom though and set the bitrate higher, its 2000kbps by default so its little bit too low. or you can go to custom and set all the values yourself, be sure to use the same aspect ratio and framerate as source files though. you can choose bitrate from there too
3. select save and let it render, for me 10 minute movie takes about 2 hours to render, my comp is not that fast so yours might take less but it takes time to render obviously. you might also want to test render just a small portion of the movie, like 10 secs, to see if your settings are ok. you can select the rendering area from timeline

thats it, i hope this helps and im sure there is some mistakes there and maybe i didnt explain everything clearly enough so ask if something is unclear and point mistakes if you find any so i can correct them
Last edited by Guest on 25 Jul 2009, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Re: how to capture, edit and create a movie

Post by John »

Awesome Jappe, thanks a lot. SveinR, this thread should definitely be sticky.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Wow, thank you. This will be very helpful, you are awesome.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Wow, this came like you would have read my thinkings. I was planning to start making a MiE team video and just talked about it with adi, but there were some things didn't know how to do them. Then... this came! Thanks!
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

When I make movies I first dump pcx files with milas constfps, and then i put all of those into an avi file using a very small and handy program called virtualdubmod. With this you can do alot of other things as well, for example mux sound and video together, and put some effects to the video, not like in adobe after effects but more like sharpen picture, change brightness and stuff.

Here's a link if anyone is interested, just thought I would write how i make movies, it's almost the same as Jappe explains but I don't use videomach neither do I render the video with sony vegas, I use VirtualDubMod.
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Björn wrote:I use VirtualDubMod.
i approve, very nice program, ez to use, used it in my latest video
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

lets talk about our mobile phone plans.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

how would you analyze what's wrong with this one. used constfps at 1920x1080 and then rendered as AVC format, 1920x1080, bitrate 6 000 000, 30 fps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsh6VlU6Acc

it is only a test so sound track is missing and editing was not done.

however, how should I improve this vid (apart the obvious removal of black screen in the end and adding sound track)

I can pick few problems myself:
1. lgr is bad for so high resolution, the background doesn't look good.
2. there are some boxes appearing for short period of time with purple'ish color and then disappearing
3. it's dark?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

for me its really nice. both lgr and lightness are oki. also im kinda glad ur makin a vid finally :D
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well, this vid will be removed, after all it's just a test ;) apparently the quality has got a lot better since upload, so those problems i mentioned dont really exist anymore
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

just a test? i see some wr there o.O
TT: 47:40,88
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

was 10.79 i believe, wr is 10.75 ;o
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Since when wr is 10.75? 8O
:mrhat:
DaFred
39mins club

Post by DaFred »

mh nah, looks like that is the wr rec.. more of that tests plz ^^
maybe make new test on bowling :)
Thunder
39mins club

Post by Thunder »

I cant make HD video that locks nice with any of my resolution :evil:
I use constfps and have what i think strange resolutions...
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1600x1200

What should i use to get it in HD 16:9???
TT: 39:59:70

6 World class 17 Professionals 30Good 0 Ok
Thunder
39mins club

Post by Thunder »

Searched lauta and google but didnt find it :(
Anyone have it???

Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

to make it hd or 16:9 u can also use sony vegas or movie maker
TT: 47:40,88
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

or wait for EOL, will be included
Thunder
39mins club

Post by Thunder »

Tried with both of them... Nothing makes it look nice...

niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Thank you for this Jappe! I've had some serious issues in making elma movies before, now I have a guide =)
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Alma
Kuski

Post by Alma »

omg, i love you jappe2 :s
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Nice tutorial Jappe, perhaps i could record videos now... with the constfps method, thanks a lot! :mrgreen:
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

all what i get with fraps its a black video, i tested with ale and it recorded but in elma
or belma it shows a black screen
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Pab wrote:all what i get with fraps its a black video, i tested with ale and it recorded but in elma
or belma it shows a black screen
Try some other player. Oddly enough VLC shows me black when trying to watch raw Fraps recordings, but Winamp works.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Thanks a lot Jappe, i made my first video :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bytjttMUQQ

I used these programs:
constfps
Magic pic2ani instead of videomach, this little program is so awesome :o
Ulead Video Studio 11 to edit
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Epic movie, epic music. :D
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

i agree with opinionion last staterd
Juish
38mins club

Post by Juish »

im having trouble locating the constantfps, anyone know where it is uploaded to? I couldnt get the fraps to work with my elma open in d3dwindower.
TT= 38 somethin
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Use EOL. It has one built-in.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Just hold f1 and enter a replay in eol, it saves frames as pcx in eol folder.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

As few posts above, i have problems seeing videon in vlc. When opened in Winamp, whole video is upside-down. what can be teh problem?? in windows media player is everything all right.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Tigro wrote:As few posts above, i have problems seeing videon in vlc. When opened in Winamp, whole video is upside-down. what can be teh problem?? in windows media player is everything all right.
sounds like ffdshow turns it upside down, or some other filter, just change settings in teh
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

problem solved already. thx.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Probably delete this topic. Created by Jeppe3.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

do not.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Hi, so I tried recording EOL gameplay with Camtasia Studio but got some borked palette: www.youtube.com/watch?v=otTy9Jsjlh4
Do you think it is worth trying Fraps or is there a problem with my video card or something? o,o
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I use Fraps and never had a problem.
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

I'd suggest using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). It is free, free-source, lots of plugins available, no watermarks, lots of options to limit file size or improve quality (unlike Fraps which makes raw video uncompressed), and can also stream with it with basic video editing like add logo, cam, etc.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Try recording in windowed mode, I am not familiar with any program who can record elma in fullscreen, there might be something out there though, most likely.
Anyway, download D3DWindower from zworqy's site or somewhere else.
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

I tested for the first time how to make videos and i uploaded a test so maybe you can help me.
I have worst connection ever and not too good notebook so i dont really expect anything excelent but good enough to be an oke video. The problem i see is that screen isnt full size and i dont know why. I used Windows Movie Maker and saved it in "High Definition", 16:9, Fraps and EOL 1024x768 res. (Thoughi also tested 4:3 and got same screen sice).
Can you notice what the problem is?
(Its just 5s test)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdtLvuw ... e=youtu.be

I tried to do what Jappa explained on Rendering video but my program doesnt have those options he wrote.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

You mean the black borders at top and bottom? It must be some setting from Windows Movie Maker, do you have the correct "Source" resolution in settings? I don't even know what you can do in Movie Maker.
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

Yes, i mean the black borders. I used Fraps and tried several resolutions on EOL and final video, but i always get those borders. Any help? lll could try other programs later but i want to know how to solve this.

EDIT: Tried different resolution and same result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpiukSw ... e=youtu.be
Besides of those black borders, do you think that quality (1280x720) is oke? Ppl with higher resolution please tell me.

EDIT: Itsnt Windows Movie Maker, its Windows Live Movie Maker.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

When is the border added? Are they there in the file from fraps? Are they there inside movie maker preview? In the final rendered file? Or only once it's on youtube?
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

Kopaka wrote:When is the border added? Are they there in the file from fraps? Are they there inside movie maker preview? In the final rendered file? Or only once it's on youtube?
Hi KpK

When i finish recording the replay with Fraps, i quit EOL, open the .avi file and its already with those borders.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Sla wrote:Yes, i mean the black borders. I used Fraps and tried several resolutions on EOL and final video, but i always get those borders. Any help? lll could try other programs later but i want to know how to solve this.

EDIT: Tried different resolution and same result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpiukSw ... e=youtu.be
Besides of those black borders, do you think that quality (1280x720) is oke? Ppl with higher resolution please tell me.

EDIT: Itsnt Windows Movie Maker, its Windows Live Movie Maker.
There is no black border in this what I can see. ???

EDIT: No black borders in first video either, if you watch it without Fullscreen.
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

Bjenn wrote:There is no black border in this what I can see. ???

EDIT: No black borders in first video either, if you watch it without Fullscreen.
0: Hows that even possible? I see black borders here. Anyways, problem solved: i had different resolutions btw EOL and operative system, so tried same reso and it works now, doh.

Thanks you all for help!
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Bene made a script that saves you a LOT of time. Just create rec01, rec02 folders .. how many recs you got and place the .pcx files in those folders.
This script also copies the last frame to make a pause, so you will be touching the flower the same length as in the game.

Install Python Software Foundation
Put ffmpeg]ffmpeg somewhere on your computer.

Point this line to the correct path on your computer: FFMPEG_PATH = 'c:/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg.exe'
Change the lines that says F:/Elma Vid/32 Cup/rec%02d/mov in the script to your corresponding folder, three lines in total.

Run the script like this
1. Open CMD
2. Write path to python.exe and finish with pointing to the script, like this: C:\Python27\python.exe "E:\video\create_elma_vid.py"
Attachments
create_elma_vid.zip
(821 Bytes) Downloaded 156 times
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

I was unaware about this python script, i simply use ffmpeg in command line (encoding parameters are the same):

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -framerate 60 -i snp%05d.pcx -vcodec rawvideo -r 60 -pix_fmt yuv420p output.avi
and repeat last frame in Premiere (Add Frame Hold). Now I checked PY file in text viewer and found a hidden part, which would be very useful: lossy mp4 encoding.

By default, the script produces lossless avi files, but those are very uncomfy to use, insanely big files, sometimes laggy playback in video editor.
I'm not sure about best settings, but based on my experiments and experiences, these parameters produce very nice output:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -framerate 60 -i snp%05d.pcx -c:v libx264 -tune animation -preset veryslow -r 60 -crf 6 -pix_fmt yuv420p output.mp4
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Blaztek had an idea about making a tutorial video about video editing, then I said I have this document. Actually this is not even close to a tutorial, but it might be interesting for someone.

How to make a World Cup Movie or how to draw an owl
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

I made an extended version of bene's python script, but in plain batch file 🐷👓
here link
Copy all files into elma videomaking folder, put replays into REC folder, run _ELMA_MAKEVIDEO.BAT and follow instructions.

Demo video (made with the first version, so it's a bit different, but you'll get the idea):
Video demo

Big thx to bene for the original script!

Note: some rec files are temporarily renamed to *.re_ and *.r__ by the script. If you abort the script for some reason, you'll need to rename these files manually back to *.rec before you start it again. (was orka fix this so far, sorry)
Last edited by iCS on 14 May 2021, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.