Guitar topic

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

abruzzi
Kuski

Re: Guitar topic

Post by abruzzi »

sry but lol @
nylon string guitar
can you call it a guitar??
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

yeah FlatTracker, you shouldn't come here and be all picky and whiny and perfectionist about it and just hide in the background :P
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I'm not any better than any of you guys. Ofcourse when I get around to recording, I will post something here.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I've decided i wanted to learn to play the guitar so i bought one a month ago. Had never played before and i have no real knowledge of the theory behind music.

For now, i absolutely love it. Slowly starting to get the hang of it.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

guitars offer a unique perspective on musical theory and often people who begin learning on guitars picture patterns on the neck rather than on a keyboard, which is what most musicians, who have learnt piano first think of. Out theory teacher at the con is a guitarist/music producer and thinks of a guitar neck.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i've used a pick for 11 years and now im trying fingerpicking for the last couple of months, it's a bitch really, but im getting a hang of it fucking finally. like i finally got over some annoyance barrier where i can finally enjoy the guitar sounds i get with finger picking, the learning has become automatic, not just shouting at fingers "work you piece of shits" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRaakNfRrQ
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

I've always wanted to learn fingerpicking like pro, but had problems finding nice noob-friendly vids/books, and i had no idea even which fingers to use to pick consecutively 6th,5th....1st strings. And using thumb seemed too slow for some low-string bass passages, that's why i started learning hybrid picking and still am using it. I've come up with many eerie atonal sounding little exercise-songs to practice this kind of finger+pick picking, like this one for example:
http://up.k10x.net/gvydwhgbluotc/jest7hyb.gp5
Also some songs (like Those Who Wait by Tommy Emmanuel) are meant to be played like that. Problem is, in most acoustic pieces this technique limits me in many ways. But proper fingerpicking is so confusing, any suggestions on where to start?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Real happy to see you mention Tommy Emmanuel anp, he is my favorite guitarist. I would suggest you learn and memorize all the andres Segovia scales, then play them alternating your "I" and "m" fingers, then "m" and "a", then "I" and "a". Also then doing the scales differently in rhythm, for example triplets for each note, or eighth then sixteenth into another note and so on. Harder than you think to alternate fingers properly at first. As for the way your right hand should look, make sure your fingers are relaxed and you pluck them then follow through for the best tone, keep your thumb away from your other fingers. John Williams, who has learned more repertoire on the guitar than anyone else in the world, keeps his right hand knuckles completely perpendicular to the strings, I think this is ideal, but impossible to do and very hard to play like, he is the only person ive seen do this flawlessly with his right hand, although his form is still something to strive for, watch here. ]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=
God Bless America
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

what about finger nails for the picking hand? i tried growing some, doesnt help shit
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Zweq wrote:what about finger nails for the picking hand? i tried growing some, doesnt help shit
i pick with a nail + a little bit of skin. With proper length (not too big, but not too small, learned by trial and error) it sounds much more pleasant than just skin for me. Depends on personal taste i guess. And it's a bit easier with longer nails too, or maybe i'm wrong, dono.

gimp, thanks, i'm actually doing various scale exercises (and i'm quite disciplined when it comes to practice, will look into Segovia ones later), but don't really know what to hoyl else. When it comes to actual playing, i have a hard time deciding which finger to use where anyway, and have to spend half an hour making notes in most places of tabulature and then practicing them over and over for days to get them memorized in fingers. And sometimes i just can't figure out which fingers to use even theoretically, and always stumble upon two "m"'s in a row, or such. I don't know if this explanation makes any sense, but it surely looks dumb though. Can't seem to find correct words to express teh problem.
The whole shit looks too confusing. It's like you have to know what comes in future, like 2-3 bars from the place where you are atm, and decide which fingers to use so you don't screw these future places later. Hence i can't improvise normally with fingerpicking for example. Well, i can, but technique-wise it's always a complete mess.
And yeh, the problem is only in a picking hand, i fucking hate this piece of fingercrap.
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

I enjoy fingerpicking, especially when it comes to altering string orders, not just plain old thumb, index, middle, ring finger, lil finger and back...As for ur problem on deciding when to pick what with which finger, i'd say the only way (was for me at least) to get over it is to practice and memorize as many different ways to play any given note on any given rhythm smoothly and then do some excercises for urself e.g some spanish style am, G, F, E and play them with different fingerpicking rhytmhs and sach, annoying at first ofc, but when u get used to doing it, it's actually very fun to play with all the possibilities :D
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

hey, thanks guys, i'm steadily improving each day, hopefully in a month or two i'll be fluent enough to be able to alternate mechanically at reasonable speeds. It's kinda weird how i've overlooked such simple aspect of playing as practising scales (and such) with my fingerpicking, (especially considering the fact that i've played nothing but exercises for 2 years when i was learning playing with a pick and tapping, which was diametrally opposite, i just can't do things right, hehe), and how helpful it appeared to be once i started doing it (more brackets to make the sentence unreadable to teh max).
I still have some issues with doublestops or whatever these are called - it's when you pick two notes at the same time (or more). It's harder to keep alternating steadily when this crap pops up like 5 times each bar. Is there any special technique/approach for it? Should i strum sometimes instead of plucking? Here's the easiest example:
http://up.k10x.net/wiszuipsfmocb/castle ... artita.gp4
Could i ask you mans a favor one more time? Some guidelines on which fingers where to use in the first 10 beats would be much appreciated.

Had enough of fingerpicking this evening and had to play something calm and easy with a pick, so i came up with a random chord pattern and improvised for almost two hours over it. Then decided to record something since i havent recorded anything acoustic for a long time. Here it is for anyone who's interested, this thread needs more sharing:
http://up.k10x.net/cgoywpcxsemva/imprik001.mp3
the whole thing was done in like 15mins (not counting the 2hour-long improvisation), 5mins were spent cleaning up the fucking SHSDhhHhHHHSHSHH-sounds my mic makes, so don't bash me too hard :D
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

sounds awesome :D
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

very nice
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I began playing some music by Villa-Lobos, the eternal first etude and his first prelude. For fingerpicking, you should definitely take a look at his first etude. It still drives me crazy, I could achieve about 80% of normal tempo, but now I'm rather slow and sloppy again. Growing nails is essential, but not too long - about 2 mm works for me and you have to be a real manicure with it.

I'm planning to a good version of his first prelude in the future, so I can share. I also play with pick, but not so fast: http://soundcloud.com/t-jones/all-of-me. Both tracks are mine - I can achieve an acceptable "gypsy rhythm", solo was improvised =]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yesterday an acquintance gave me a call about some gig at a party that same night, wether I would join him. Sure! We played 2 hours of music (jazzstandards mostly, I was lucky the other guy could sightread a bitfrom the simple quarternote tunes I brought with me). Best of all, it turned out to be the party of the society of a friend of mine - what are the odds? Afterwards the DJ took over and we stayed with free beer all the night and 150e each. :beer:

So yeah, I like playing the guitar.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

teajay wrote:Yesterday an acquintance gave me a call about some gig at a party that same night, wether I would join him. Sure! We played 2 hours of music (jazzstandards mostly, I was lucky the other guy could sightread a bitfrom the simple quarternote tunes I brought with me). Best of all, it turned out to be the party of the society of a friend of mine - what are the odds? Afterwards the DJ took over and we stayed with free beer all the night and 150e each. :beer:

So yeah, I like playing the guitar.
Still have the half-hair shaven thing going on?:D
39:37,91
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I cut that off 8 years ago.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Played loads today. I also got my first try on a contrabas. That was not that hard at all, but I destroyed my index finger within 15 minutes. I feel like playing more again. Lately I had kinda lost interest a bit, but now I might be playing more and more again. We'll see.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Fingered a minor on the g-string.

But for reals, little brother is getting into guitar and I can maybe play a few little ditties...
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

So today i decided to pick up a habit of recording various stuff once again. Too bad all my gear is in terrible condition nowadays. Microphone is barely working, so those who're brave enough to click the following link will have to prepare to listen to 32kbps-ish sound quality. So, long story short, i learned a cheerful song written by JP Cambefort couple days ago, and decided to record it for the heck of it. Imo my performance turned out okeish, but the mic makes me sad :< Seriously considering buying a replacement this weekend or smth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiOhNpC8d4

Requesting mans' works and stuff, because gitar interestik)))) zampe, go post brain tumor inducing guitarisms or no balls -_-

EDIT: here tab btw: http://kopasite.net/up/0/adrenaline.gp3
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

you hab freakin left handed guitare?
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

It's symmetric :p Just re-string it the other way around and you've got yourself a right-handed guitar. Well, i've also modified that thing near the end of the neck a little, to make the strings fit better, but that's not really necessary.

I do have a leftie electric guitar though (Yamaha Pacifica), which has been through a lot (seriously, me and my uncle raped it through and through) and is now utterly butchered. It's filled with superglue, the plug is barely working, the frontal part has been sawed to accomodate to my weird kinky needs.... which didnt end up working out well at all :p I'm planning to replace that guitar with something that works when i get the money. I'm perfectly satisfied with my 40$ acoustic atm though :D
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

thats nice indeed, anp!
I am lefty too, but I am used to playing like right-handed on the guitar/ukulele.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

vtf why mans not posting gitar??? a?
im not understand((((
it feel lonely here if only adad posts his faec over and over again imo -.-
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Dont have a guitar, and you are too pro for anyone to post :P
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Jamppa could possibly up some rehearse material from us, but i have no idea if he wants. I could ask tho'. That's kind of off topic although it does contain guitar playing all along.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well anp i didnt see activity in this topic until now somehow, hard to match that performance imo, it was really great, and fun progressive song also, ty for posting
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

liek zman in poe tread
Image Image
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Thanks for sharing that Mats! Anp that was beautifully executed and was a joy to listen to :) i have to ask though whats up with your finger there
God Bless America
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Ha, you noticed it. If you're referring to the index finger on my right arm, it's been like that since the day i was born. And has been a source of a lot of insecurity throughought my whole life :[ nowadays i've finally learned not to be concerned too much about it, but still subconsciously trying to hide it all the time. Thanks for teh kind words mans, that's very much appreciated. I'll post old some obscure stuff later today, cuz why not.

That yesterday cover is very good. Dat manvoice :3 Makes me want to learn singing too, but no idea how much time/effort is needed to get on a comfortable level that won't make everyone's ears bleed >:D
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

honestly never learned how to sing or anything. i just kind of started singing at the same time i started learning guitar. remember learning some green day song with easy chords and then thinking "oh yeah i know the words to this" and went from there. dont over analyze the singing part just feel it and do it :) everyone is beautiful when they sing even mawrap
God Bless America
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Need new singing topic :P, then I sing a song to bleed your ears out :D

Edit: There it goes
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Decided to contribute, since mans are coming forward bravely, so should I.
Mind you, this piece is actually composed by Jamppa, this is just my interpretation...not very clean one at that, since nervous. Hopefully enjoyable or useful to other guitarmans.

http://youtu.be/qTnm37GAfK0
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I'm loving the finger picking in this guitar topic! Kiiwi that's cool you did a piece by Jamppa. Looked like it had some tough bass line finger stretches with those bar chords, good job. Could definitely sense some nervousness though and please use a better recording device for your next video :)
God Bless America
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Cool composition by jamppik there! I rly like teh bass line, enjoyable to listen to and adds some extra flow to the song. I agree that nervousness is visible but it's totally fine, cuz imo it didn't lead to many mistakes, and the whole performance was very oke. Sound quality is about as assy as mine though, some 50$ bad mic would do a better job imo, and is worth an investment.
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Thanks mans. yes, recording was as bad as can get (videoing with old nokia phone xD), sorry for that. I'll try posting some better stuff at sum point, but as for now, I really have no way to record properly.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Yeah I only have a tablet as my recording device :/ I think I'll post another vid of me playing a classical piece I composed kinda like Jamppas soon enough :)
God Bless America
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Meanwhile adad 5tr1k3s again! Tested out new mic (200$ badboi -_-) despite of the injured arm (bad arm!!!!). Pretty good results soundwise imo, quality is finally tolerable, the only funny part is how sensitive the mic is. It, like, hears all my breath and catches all sofa movements, when i change position by 1millimeter. Not a problem anyway, just a norm factik.
Here's a short clip of Nuages, i didn't really improvise any part, just played along an existing tab here cuz i suck at such stuff. This is another stuff that is so cool to learn but difficult to start out. Guess i'll settle with my beloved Phrygian, Aeolian and harmonic minor stuffs. And weirdness like byzantine scale, which i for some reason practiced for tons of hours. I have no idea what that is, just found it by playing around and guitar pro called it byzantine scale, badboi he r xDxDxD

http://kopasite.net/up/1ag96ls5c74g993/ ... _short.mp3
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

if just ignoring musical aspect for a second and talking about technique, do mans have any specific technique exercises or warm up excercises, or just jamming all the way to get warm? Personally i've tried some technique exercises and they are super efficient, totally recommend, you can literally save years. Finding the correct exercise is like a shortcut that makes you able to play actual music much earlier. http://youtu.be/vrErZdZaGpw?t=1m42s is bestest for me
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

That is a very good exerciseik, i use it often. Jamming is a lazy way to get worm imo, unless you're super advanced already. I myself am as unmusical as it gets when i'm practicing. I can play chromatics for 10 hours at 150bpm up and down up and down, and not get bored. For the first three years i had pretty much played exclusively scales in various positions, weird chromatic exercises and such, just nailing down that alternate picking until i eventually fucked up my arms completely (hello, carpal tunnel, how are you feeling today?) and couldn't use right arm to even pick up stuff for a few months >:D Later i created a huge guitar pro tab (like, really vast number of exercises, ~3h long workout) starting with legato exercises, going into tapping, multifinger tapping, then alt picking and ending with sweeps and hybrid picking and played it every day to a metronome. Just a huge bunch of exercises taken from various books and videos or created by my own fakked brain. That is imo an important thing to have if you want to boost your technique fast. It won't feel fast, but if you record your playing regularly, you'll clearly see the difference between your fluency.

Nowadays i remember most of those, so i simply use metronome and play around various stuff to warm up, and when i'm warmed up a bit i turn off the exercise mode, take the metronome away, and just try to come up with something musical while maintaining the level of difficulty at a comfortable point. Balancing it out without resorting to playing chords or slayerish 000000000010000000000 riffs. That also helps to come up with useful musical stuff and find the scales and patterns that you enjoy the most, and build up a skeleton around them. Skeleton both for jams and exercises ofc.

I actually wouldn't recommend having too many exercises (like i myself had), and instead simply having few effective pseudochromatic spiderpatterned stuff that works up your technique nicely. And just making exercises that sound norm and unique, by yourself for yourself. I wonder how other mans feel about that. It's a vague thing though.

I can try to tab out some of my fav exercises laterik if anyone (zew???) is interested.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

anpdad wrote:I can try to tab out some of my fav exercises laterik if anyone (zew???) is interested.
hell yeah!
[carebox]
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

for right hand maby http://youtu.be/6VApk-vvhp8?t=23m55s, i practiced it quite a bit in 2003 or smt, but yeah i mostly finger picking nowadays with 5$ acoustic guitar and sucking at it :roll: plz giev finger picking exercise
jamppa
37mins club

Post by jamppa »

I myself have actually never used any finger exercicing or practicing methods or even practiced specific playing techniques or scales or so in my 12 years guitar career. I've just always played a song or thing i wanna play til i can or cannot :D Maybe Im just too lazy

Anyways here some random jamming by me and Kiiwi
Im teh brighter steel-stringed guitar, Kiiwi teh nylon

and here my original rekkordink i made before of the song Kiiwi played in his link
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Noticed that jam session sounds way less chaotic if use only left channel.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Sorry for such a delay, was lazy to check lauta, and then wus traveling for a few days and stuf. The original recording sounds awesome! Especially the bass notes, so fat and close, duno how to describe :p How did you record the electric guitar solo, real amplifier or used some software? Fits nicely into the mix imo.
Also jam isn't chaotic at all, sobad Kiiwi is -_- Expected it to be way more chaotic, just like my own jams along midi tracks (adad har no frends). I assume it's some song/pattern you had already jammed to before? Many guitar lines sounded confident and very fitting to the chord played underneath, - not like it happens when someone plays new stuff and just tries out some scales up and down. Sound quality is nice too, better than what my new mic can offer, hate and jelly :P
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

To avoid being lazy and to keep this topic active, decided to take my turn and record a Super Mario 64 File Select music, arranged by the awesome Kabukibear (this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblyVkTH-XY), who's widely known in the small community of gametabs.net for his elaborate video game OST arrangements. There's like 10% of the original song and 90% of his own stuff in the tab though. I've always wanted to record something that was still up for grabs, so i went ahead and did it today. As far as i know, there's only one recording on youtube of this thingie, and it's not exactly clean.

http://kopasite.net/up/46g15v6l2w9jslg/ ... ct_192.mp3

Lazy to bust out dropbox, so only 192kbps quality for now :p I meant it to have a pink hat vid along the sound track, but accidentally forgot to switch to video recording mode on an Iphone, so it only took a photo of me, FML. I added an overdub track that plays a single note throughout the last 30sec of the song, cuz fretting a 10-0-0-0-0-3 chord isn't fun for fingers.