Work

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Igge
38mins club

Re: Work

Post by Igge »

Yes it truly is sad that you will survive)

I keep working at work doing work i guess. It's work. Come summer we will move to a new location (a better one, north of Stockholm instead of south). I'm pretty interested to see how it will turn out.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Igge, you mad bro?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I was just a little amused by your use of "alas")
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A lass suits me better, you are quite right. Thanks for noticing my faulty use!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

My contract as a bookkeeper/administrator got renewed until June 30th, this year. After that some stuff might change. We'll see. You won't see it here though then, 'cause I will be AWAY FOREVER.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I've worked as an electrician in Carlsens Elektro for over 5 years now. I Like my colleagues and my boss. What I like most about working there, is that we employees are heard and can influence the drift of the company. If I want new equipment, new phone, pda, car, or whatever, they find a way to please my demands. Got privileges like yearly bonus, social happenings (small trips, bowling, restaurant, paint-ball, curling), and a company trip every year. Just came home from Milano on Monday. Free trip, hotell, and dinner/drinks every day. So I can't really say I'm unhappy with my work situation, even though it ain't too lucrative kind of job. :)

Its a large specter of things we have to know, even though I got 7 years of education and experience, I still got a lot of things to learn. Hoyling my experience is like elma; testing, developing and asking for styles how to do things. Get a lot of funny customers, jobs and situations. Couple of weeks ago I found a defect light-switch in a house, I took it of the wall to inspect it. Then it was like fuck off and exploded in my hand. Once I was called out to fix a lamp that wouldn't work, I came out and it was a normal couple in the 30's. They showed me the lamp and I went upon a chair and tightened the bulb, problem fixed. Cost them 200 Euro's.

Norway is a horrible country to be electrician in, because we're running on a special Voltage system. Only Norway and albania in Europe has this. Norway is working slowly towards the system used in rest of europe, though only about 30 percent has this yet. The disadvantage with the old system is what you can get a lot more dangerous electrical faults, because the fuses don't trigger with so called earth faults. So if an appliance of metal, or anything of metal close to power start leading voltage, the fuse won't react. So for instance worst case scenario, you can die from holding on your kitchen sink. One guy actually died in his shower because of this. Worst thing is that the fault at your house can come from your neighbors as-well. It's a hard job to figure out where the source of the problem is.

Got no future work plans, been thinkin about alternatives. Don't wanna go back to school now, because I want to buy an apartment asap when my girlfriend starts working after the summer.

If anyone have electrical problems, just ask.
And, just because two wires are the same colour doesn't mean you should connect them together. Getting tired of that question :P
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Kortsu
Kuski

Post by Kortsu »

I didn't think Norway would be a horrible place for an electrician, you have Elko! It's pretty much 80% of our outlets, switches and whatnot unless the customer specifically asks for something else like Ensto equipment.

There are some age-old sayings here in Finland as well like:

- Täällä tehdään johtopäätöksiä (you're doing conclusions {conclusions is the same as wire-endings here})
- Väri väriin ja loput yhteen (colour to colour and connect the rest together {whenever someone is looking at a joint box})
- Sähkö on hyvä renki, mutta huono isäntä (electricity is a good servant but a poor master)

I'm sure you have the same kind of shit you have to deal with :D

I've seen some rather interesting connections done by people who have absolutely no knowledge of electricity and what kind of caution you should always pay when you are doing electrical work. Some pro installer had put jumper cables to the main fuses of the facility so the fuses would last and not blow all the time. He had taken a 1,5 mm^2 multistrand conductor and somehow made a secure connection between the junction cable and the current rail of the switchboard for all three phases. Needless to say the junction cable had to be live while he was doing this since only the distributor can disconnect it. Since the fuses had gotten small and now didn't even blow when the load got over the rating it had also blown the electricity meter of the facility and they probably had free electricity for quite some time.

It just makes you think about the lack survival instincts in some people.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Yeah it's funny how noone takes it seriously. Saw a live wire(230V) sticking out about 1m over the floor in bedroom of a 6 year old, because her father disconnected a lamp himself.

I love Elko equipment, smash it with a hammer and nothing happens :P . About 90% of norway is elko, but more and more it changes to cheaper alternatives which breaks after a year or so. Ensto/ABB is not so bad either, it works and it's easy to mount, but as an electrician I think their normal Jussi sockets are ugly, but no one has ever complained about that.
Now lately we started using some new eaton fuses with rcd and lights showing how close it is too unleash its fury. The light in the middle will flash how many mA leaking on the line out if you double click the test button. Very neat :D .
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I'm now a certified airport security dude o/
Will try to work both at the airport and the movie theatre, hope orka.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I accepted a position as composer in residence for Queensland Youth Orchestras in 2014! :D

Max good way to finish a composition degree! :D
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

John wrote:I'm now a certified airport security dude o/
Will try to work both at the airport and the movie theatre, hope orka.
It's tough. Got to work much more than it sounded like from the beginning. In january I worked a total of ~208 hours over my two jobs. Now I haven't had a single day off since the 16th of february and the next time I'll have one will be friday the 7th of march (hopefully). Trying to save as much as possible of salaries.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

ultra-low-budget life?
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Not that ultra. Just not buying stuff because I can. Rather trying to save for "good" stuff like car, house, future education or such. And btw, today I was completely free from any kind of work o/
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Still Subway, some 9 months now :0 It's actually not too bad, mainly because it's 100% flexible, both in terms of hours and working days :)

How are you holding up John?
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Pawq wrote:How are you holding up John?
Worked 31½h in less than 2 days this weekend o/
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Got a new job now for a couple of months. Riding shotgun in suckage truck and sucking peoples shit and everything they flush down the toilets in their summer cabins. Any place where the sewer well isnt part of the communal sewer system more or less. At least the pay is spectacular.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Composing, playing as principal bass in 4 ensembles and working a casual job is tough right now. Very rewarding to see some the newest pieces coming through however. I cannot wait to show you guys how it has been going after I get some performances.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I just got my bachelor's degree :) superhappy atm. Not rly work, but impsy to not share :)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Bludek wrote:I just got my bachelor's degree :) superhappy atm. Not rly work, but impsy to not share :)
Gratz, bludek! How was your finals?
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

pretty bad :) ppls in jury didn't like my bachelor's work, but that's ok. After that they didn't rly give me good grades from other subjects, but hey, I made it :) Continuing to master's, I guess.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Finished my most important commission as composer-in-residence! Time for writing some articles and an interview with the radio soon. :) Rehearsal begins soon, and I am very excited! Cannot wait to finally hear it live.

The composition itself is based on a particularly important scene from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game".
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Australia. Composer.

What a wonderful world! Without You I wouldn't even know such things exist.
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

abruzzi wrote:Australia. Composer.

What a wonderful world! Without You I wouldn't even know such things exist.
Probably because all Australian composers are making "plink-plonk" bullshit m00sic, high-fiving each other for academic sik skillz and blaming the audience/capitalism for not understanding or turning up to their random noises concert.
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Tiny bit of the things I do at work: Fire Assay
http://youtu.be/V_KbUz7NwVA
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I'd do this every day.
but vertical video kills my eyes.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Mawane wrote:Tiny bit of the things I do at work: Fire Assay
http://youtu.be/V_KbUz7NwVA
looks like some weird three musketeers cosplay
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Finishing last piece in my residency. :)
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Hey guys! A Little update from a fellow elma friend.

Work is basically Life for me now. But it's not bad, I enjoy work mostly. I work as a raft guide/safety kayaker which means I get to work outdoor with physical work and I love it. It's problem soulving every day. I'm almost done with my 4th season in Iceland and this one has been great. No injuries or major incidents, and I've paddled more rivers then any summer Before. I recently found out that I got a job in Argentina doing the same thing for the Winter season (summer there). So I'll be flying out end of october and working there until beginning of march. Before I fly I will have one months vacation, and after my season there I will have one more months vacation Before I fly back to Iceland for the 5th season :) It's a fucking awesome Lifestyle at the moment, a Little bit lonely - yes. No bonds, girlfriends, steady friends or relationships at all, which kind of sucks. But as I'm sure you can imagine it's super rewarding to travel and see so many cool things- and not to mention the rivers I get to paddle! I don't make a lot of Money, only enough to survive, travel and save a Little bit for the future. Also because gear is expensive, so I have to spend so much on new gear that breaks every year. My gearlist includes items such as:
- Kayak, Paddles, Drysuit, Water boots, PFD (personal flotation device, basically lifejacket), Helmet, Sprayskirt, Rescuerope, carabiners, prusicks and other rescuetools. These are the most essential gear, but there are many more things I have to make a day comfortable.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys in on my Life a Little since I consider many of you my friends. There will be more time for Elma for me, and when that time comes to me I will host MR3 and more awesome shit!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Sounds awesome! Have you learned to speak Icelandic? I love the language.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I do indeed! Not fluently yet, but I can kind of survive with what I know :) Lovely language, yes!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Sounds awesome niN! I wouldn't mind doing that kind of adventuring myself. Have fun in Argentina :)
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Best job ever :D JAUiJAU good luck man