Disc Golf

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

J-sim
39mins club

Disc Golf

Post by J-sim »

I started playing last year and have been playing more seriously this year. Just wanted to hear if anyone else here plays? Thought it might be the case since after the U.S. Sweden and Finland are the top disc golf countries. And since it's kind of a nerd sport I geuss.

So if anyone plays: What local courses do you play? What discs do you use? How long is your drive? How good are you?

Disc golf fucking rules!
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Re: Disc Golf

Post by roope »

There was some basic course built in a park in my town just last summer, and the park happens to be some 200 meters from my place.
Tried it a few times and is pretty fun, except when the discs go in to the pond next to the park :x
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Ismo
39mins club

Post by Ismo »

I started last year too. Last August or something.

There are 3 courses in Tampere, one of them only some 5 mins walk from my flat so I play there maybe some 3 times/week avg (when no snow). Ok. Maybe more. Maybe less. Maybe more. Ok. What else.

I throw 98% backhand. Trying to learn forehand. Putting getting better.

At the moment I use:
- Innova Star Leopard 175g
- Innova Star Valkyrie 167g
- Discmania P1 Putter
- Innova Star Destroyer 175g for forehand

What else. With perfect drive maybe a little bit over 100m. But I think I can drive some 80-90m with ok accuracy. Or not. Depends on a day. And wind. Naturally.

I guess I'm ok considering littel time I've disc golfed. Just got my first under par round (-1, 9 tracks.. every of them par 3.. so my result was 26. Pro math.)

Disc Golf European Open will be in July in the neighbour town so maybe I'm going there to check the atmosphere. Hi.

Sometimes I go play this course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FRS7OBn6rw
And also played this spring this course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rnP95TCPE
This course did one round last autumn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MvLQiq ... re=related
And finally.. only video I found from course 5 mins from me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGwNrvi-mmY

No.. I don't have any hole-in-ones yet. Been close but not too. Ok, bye.

Hm. I order my discs from here: http://www.discmania.fi/
[00:21:58] (@cyre) ismo taas juonu liikaa omenamehuu
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

Ismo!

Sounds cool, we might be about the same level, I'm geussing you're a bit better though, since I'm still not near par on my local course. I do feel like it might be harder than the average, though I've only tried two other courses where all holes were under 100m and par 3. Valbyparken as the course I play is called has two really tricky par 4 holes that I still haven't gotten in better than 5 yet, argh (hole 7 and 12). It recently got boosted from 12 to 18 holes, a couple of the newer holes being in the heavy woods, so it's pretty challenging. Right now I've injured my knee during a football match so I'm probably not gonna get to try the new holes for another couple of weeks.

Just before I got injured I lost both my drivers a Katana and a Latitude 64 Striker. I liked both of them but decided to try something new so ordered a Wraith 172g and a TeeBird 175g both Star plastic (they seem to be really popular and consistent). Other than that I've been playing with a Buzzz Elite Z 175g as my midrange and a soft Wizard 175g as my putter (I've started using it for most shots under 40-50m with some succes). Along with the Wraith and TeeBird I also ordered a Roc DX, to see if I might like it better than the Buzzz, and to try to get a beat in disc.
What I need next would be an overstable driver for wind and big hyzers and maybe an understable too for backhand rollers if I feel like I want to learn that/need it.

My drives are in about the same range as yours. I recently found out I could throw just as long without a runup as on a standstill, so I need to work on my runup soon.
I just checked and my best score is actually 10 over par on Valbyparken, fuck! But one of the others I tried was a 9 hole course where I got one over par on my second try. That one was way too easy though. A new course just opened relatively close, which I haven't tried yet. But atleast I have two courses to play now.

I haven't even been close to aces, and I can't really see how I could get close on any holes in the near future.

Valbyparken map
Valbyparken video (this is not exactly the normal layout though)

Now when I can't play I've gotten a bit addicted to watching tournaments on youtube. It's not really proffesional broadcasting but can be pretty entertaining. I've seen the European Open 2009 and it was in Tampere, and I just tried figuring out which course it was on (maybe more than one?), with no luck. But it looks really great. Tampere seems to be a pretty good place to live for disc golf. Probably lots of pros to watch play too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iDRFXgk0M
Ismo
39mins club

Post by Ismo »

EO2009 was in that Sometimes I go play this course -course. Special layout for EO2009 tho. It has atm 9 holes but going to have 15 in a month or something. Map atm. Wrong pars and distances in that.. right ones here.. my record +1.. been 4 times throwing there. Was on -1 before the last hole but freezed a little bit and drove to OB and got doublebogey from semiez par hole. :(

And also played this spring this course map here.. didn't really enjoy those last 9 holes. Too long ones for me. :P

Valbyparken seems hard.
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

Nice that they're expanding that course. Playing 9 holes, and if they are short too, seems like not quite enough. On the other hand I feel very intimidated about playing the new 18 hole course in Valby, must be damn hard to play focused for so long.
I just checked the map of the new course that's close by, and on that there should definitely be some ace possibilities and a chance to go a round in par for me, looks so much easier. Map at the bottom.

Hole 18 on that Julkujärvi course looks pretty damn sick!
Ismo
39mins club

Post by Ismo »

Back from disc golfing. Ok result.. no records but rounds were +2, +3 and +1 on the course near me. Best 3 round avg for me maybe ever. And.. my friend did hole-in-one on 85m long hole. He was kinda.. 8O -> :D -> :roll: I did only birdie once on that. :cry:

Ye.. that new course of yours seems pretty ez.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Seems like sick fun sport tbh.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Ismo
39mins club

Post by Ismo »

Up.

Heard that there are some new people into disc golf.

What's in your bag? How's throws? Else?
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Nice topic! : )

So ye, started disc golfing at the beginning of June this year with gf, and instantly realized/heard that talli also started this year. We have been disc golfing a ton ever since, and been able to get some stuff right after getting a lot of motivation and tips, especially from talli but also a bit from youtube.

I really like to throw forehand throws, currently I can get to almost 100m with it, though, been suffering with some inaccuracy problems. Within the past week I improved a huge lot and became really consistent in getting those longer throws, hoping to break that 100m mark in the near future. My backhand drive isn't that good, especially consistency-wise because didn't use it almost at all but the best field-shots were about as long as my best forehand ones. My current plan is to force myself to use it more in the near future to balance it up a bit.

My discs with comments:
-Innova Xcaliber 175g, currently my favorite due to buying too many really anti-durable discs
-Innova Valkyrie 167g, was my first disc I fell in love with, RIP though because he found too many trees and got rek't, probably weighs under 100g now. Still oke for backhand throws, especially Heiser shots. Going to replace with something similar.
-Innova (Champion) Roc3 180g, really consistent and straight flyer, instantly fell in love with teh roc3 and bought another one with good material today, hence the (Champion).
-Westside Discs Boatman, 170g-ish, nice one, got rek't too due to cheap-ass material.
-Innova Aviar (x2, one for gf) as a putter, works fine and flies straight, nothing to complain about. Also been getting a bit of damage so going to have to renew this one.
-Innova Shark, not throwing this one, gf-only stuff. : )
-Innova Shark3, flies nicely, quite close to the roc3 but less consistent for me.

No aces yet. Was really close on the #13 at the Laajavuori Pro course yesterday. There's also a quite neat one there, #16 worth it to fail there for nice experiences. Well, got one ace from the wrong side of a tree like 10cm from the wrong side but ofc that doesn't count.

Dunno what to add right from the top of my head, but I totally am in love with the sport, such nice change to my earlier computer-only activities. : )
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Coal disc topic I didnt even

Been playing for two years-ish, this year I threw out all innova from my bag and replaced with Latitude64 discs. Instantly felt better. Also went from using like 5-7 different discs down to simply using 2-4 primarily.

Main driver: Saint - its a fairway driver so it doesnt have max speed, but has insane glide (7) for hyzer/anhyzer shots and I can still throw 80-100m with rhbh throws. Also helped me to get rid of having to resort to forehanding tracks that turn right.
For open fields: Missilen - cuts through the wind really good and can get insane distance with and nice S curves.
Putter - Spike (hard plastic). I always pitch/push putt and due to the stiffness of the plastic I felt that this is what works best.

Also using River (which is basically a slower Saint), and Bolt, which is a slightly understable distance driver with good glide but not finding much use for those lately as I've started using the putter for 1-50m distances. Usually its 1-2 throws with the Saint, then Putter.

This year learned: Getting rid of forehand drives due to learning how to properly throw backhands that turn right. Also became kinda good at controlling tomahawk throws as the track I play on has 80% deep forest (5 meter wide the entire track and 120-170 meter long maps etc) and the "open" .levs still have lots and lots of bushes and thick shrubbery so you spend a lot of time throwing over inconveniently placed stuff.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

First hole-in-one on an easy hole. Sick stoked, talli and gf saw live also. :beer: It was the first hole of the course, rest of it went bad as heck (totaling 7 shots worse than pr on an easy 9 hole track), quite a hot day and lost focus completely, also played backhand only with a few newish things I basically never did.

Also got a new disc, Innova Tern Champion 175g, flies pretty well both forehand and backhand. Can fly it way straighter than my other working long distance driver Xcaliber which only flies far with S-curve.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

"Yes I got hole in one : )"

Gz though ^^
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Nice fm! What was the distance on that ace? Also Tern is amazing disc. I played with it entire last year and have 3 of those as backup basically should I lose my others.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

43m straight hole with a lot of trees in both sides, not too tight though. Really good motivation to get such stuff done! :)
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I've never played but I'm a decent frisbee thrower (distance PB with no strong wind is 65m!). I should give it a throw.
:mrhat: