The Review Topic

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

chux
Kuski

The Review Topic

Post by chux »

I decided to make that review topic idea that Abula had. It isnt only for films though, its for games, music and anything else too.
Posts should be in this format (eg.)

GAME - BISH BASHI SPECIAL (PSX)
Good, fun game. Multiplayer r0xx0r, single player is good too. Blah blah blah

get it?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Xhomaz
Kuski
Team: LOS

Post by Xhomaz »

CD/LP - TAKING BACK SUNDAY - TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS

When you take Saves The Day, Thursday, Dashboard Confessional, and Thrice you get a band called Taking Back Sunday. I hear this way too often, but the truth is everyone that claims this is hitting the spot right on.

Taking Back Sunday is a so called kick in the mouth. Its fresh, and a very amazing listen. In short this album kicks your ass. It blends all of the bands metioned above to create a very original sound of their own. The beats are incredibly catchy and refreshing. They also mix in some chilling screams to show their rage. There are definitely no songs on Tell All Your Friends that you will ever skip.

The lyrics on this cd are so amazing that the booklet alone is worth the money. These guys spent time on writting these songs to come up with some truly brilliant ideas here. Not only are the lyrics very original they stick in your head, and you won't be able to get them out anytime soon. Don't expect to see songwritting that gets this damn close to perfection. If your not convinced then here is part of the song called "Cute Without The E." "Your lipstick his collar don't bother angel I know exactly what goes on. When everything you'll get is everything that you've wanted, princess, which would you prefer? My finger on the trigger or me face down across your floor. Just so long as this things loaded." Like said above the lyrics are well written on this album.

A very hard thing to explain is the excellent sounding vocals. There are two main singers (as far as I know) which trade off singing, and often times one singer will be in the backround while the other is still belting out his part. In the song, "Theres No I In Team," the band members just constantly switch off singing sentences, and this is very cool.

Taking Back Sunday is one of those bands that you find randomly, and after the first listen you think to yourself that you just found one of the best records in your cd collection. However after about twenty listens to this record its not as good as when you first listened to it. I have a feeling though that it will be in your cd player for a while. Go ahead tell all your friends, because they will thank you for getting them into a band that will just get better.

Rating: 4,5/5
Team LOS website
I'll stop stabbing when you stop screaming
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

MOVIE - SIGNS

just watched it, divx. the movie is really crappy. bad plot. bad acting. horror? lol no way! there was nothing scary in the whole thing! it was also incredible. don't want to reveal much but trust me, it is _not_ worth watching!
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Movie - Tomorrow never dies
The worst James Bond movie I've ever seen. I almost fell asleep (ye I was tired maybe that's why to movie was bored too?). Of course there were some nice scenes but most of it was pure crap. This car I would like to test. The end of the movie was extremely boring. But hey, I don't like action movies anyway so maybe it's just me, though usually James Bonds are pretty entertaining.

1+/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120347)

Movie - Swordfish
I knew this is a hacker (cracker) movie and therefore I had quite negative thoughts about it (usually hacker movies are crap). Maybe that's the reason why I got surprised positively. There were interesting aspects such as hot chicks, fast cars and guns and not just normal geeking (those hacker things were pure bullshit though, the guy was like dancing when coding and hacking). Not too realistic it is but I enjoyed.

3/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0244244)

Next to see will be one of these: The Crow, Legally Blonde, U-571. Any recommendations?
Last edited by Abula on 16 Dec 2002, 05:11, edited 3 times in total.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Movie - Shrek
surely a movie to see. u may think it's a children's cartoon, but it sure isn't. filled with funny jokes and high quality voice acting it is very good! don't bother watching a translated film though, english is the best!
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

Mobile Phone

sony cmd j70, do not buy one of these phones they are kool to start with but when u realise its only kool if sumone else has one to.

u cant download ring tones and the ones that the phone has are high pitched and gurly, u only get two backgronds and both are not kool, the games are really lame and hav even worse music,

the best bit is the world clock and the easy to txt buttons,

recomend phone only if ur into txt and not much else
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - U-571
Again I surprised positively. Somehow I had make a feeling that this movie sucks more than nothing else. I got this movie exactly two years ago and today I watched it. It wasn't that bad. It's more for war freaks (especially submarines and World War II) though it was damn unrealistic (if I knew anything about those machines). Definately better than I thought so it's ok like skint0r said.

2½/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0141926)

Mobile Phone - 7110
Bought it in summer 2000. No problems at all. Big screen, big memory and good batteries (or what it is called). No need to change, I can't anything I would need in this one which could be possible back then. Next cell I will buy must have good MP3 player.

5/5
Last edited by Abula on 16 Dec 2002, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

woo review topic :O
i'll start with some of my favorite ones

Movie - Das Boot (1981)
Some might have heard me rambled about this a few times in #across :P. Just forget all other submarine movies like hunt for red october, u-571 (though they are entertaining too), this is the submarinest of the submarines ;O. Action takes place in WW2, on a german submarine, and eventhough the germans are the "bad" side of the war, you feel sympathy for the guys onboard and the movie doesn't really evolve around good and bad, it's more about how a life in a submarine at that time would have been like. This movie is probably the most realistic submarine movie aswell, it's no ordinary hollywood blockbuster. You really get into the movie and feel the boredom and suspense that the crew goes through, especially in scenes where the allied destroyers are dropping mines (just like the one in u-571). Don't know what more to say about this, just go see it (try also to get the director's cut version if you can).

5/5

Movie - Citizen Kane (1941)
I've always heard so much about this movie, and also seen it's been quite high on most "best movies" lists, always wanted to see it. About a month ago I did. For those of you who are suspicious, or don't really like old black/white movies, just see it anyway ok? Main story evolves around the real life of newsgiant Charles Foster Kane, some of you might have heard of him. The movie starts of easy when Kane was a kid and growing up. He moves away from his parents and gets ahold of a newspaper company, which he expands by buying up other newspapers. He quickly becomes a know figure and his newspaper was nationwide. His life turns the other way around and we get to see how his life gets worse and worse (bader and bader ;O). The movie ends with the search for the meaning of the word rosebud. Hard to explain really, see it and you will appreciate it I hope.

5/5

Movie - Brotherhood Of The Wolf (2001)
Action takes place in the 18th century france. Some kind of beast is loose, killing alot of people. The king has to take action and sends people to catch the beast, with no luck. Eventually the main characters Grégoire de Fronsac and his friend Mani arrives there to try to solve this mystery. The movie is really fantastic, the way martial arts is mixed into a 18th century movie, without being overly cheesy and hollywood like. The plot turns quite about and after awhile it can get abit hard to follow. Seems the beast is not by himself. Don't want to ruin too much of the story here, go see it.

5/5

Often when I start writing these long texts I start rambling and forget what I'm writing, so if you don't understand everything, just go see the movies, they all rule anyway :P
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - Legally Blonde
I must say this wasn't my type of movie at all. But I still watched it to the end so it can't full rubbish (though it was). It annoyed me but isn't this just a good thing because it does make emotions on me? I can't decide was it worth watching. There were good parts, of course, but it is just a movie you see only once and no brain needed. But hey, mostly I'm watching these movies just because I want to be better at English and they speak easy English in these kind of movies. So I got what I wanted (but more would have been possible too).

2-/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0250494)
Last edited by Abula on 16 Dec 2002, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Just noticed that my "reviews" are not actually real reviews :]. Nevermind, let this thread be for opinions and thoughts among reviews, then.

Movie - Ali G Bling Bling
Mr. Bean is funnier. But Ali G gives definately good laughs. I would like to understand more his speak (I do maybe 50%) but I do laugh out loud. I checked the watch about ten times because of boring scenes. I liked more the Kazastan (or was it Afganistan, already forgotten) part.

2/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0303621)
Last edited by Abula on 16 Dec 2002, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Mobile Phone - Siemens C55

I bought this phone on Thursday last week (5/12), and it's the first mobile phone I've had. It's of very good quality (as Siemens phones always are), is lightweight (80 grams) and cheap (220 EUR without subscriptions). It doesn't have a color screen, but I have no need for that anyway.
Some features:
- Polyphonic ringtones (16 channels)
- WAP 1.2.1
- GPRS
- Sound recorder
- EMS (sound and picture messaging, and long SMS messages (up to 740 signs))
- 8 different groups to place people in your phonebook in, if wanted
- Different types of vibration
- Java (J2ME) games and applications

I seriously recommend this phone, it's good and also fun! The two games it comes shipped with are very entertaining, though only demos. You can of course download new J2ME games and applications.
PS.: I have not seen ONE bad review of this phone elsewhere either, if you won't believe me ;)

Grade: 5,5/6
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Mobile phone - Nokia 5510

bought this phone maybe 6 months ago. I thought it was nice to have 60 megs u could carry around with u etc. now i regret buying this. =(. it was too cheap. trading my 3330 to it the cost was just 39€ but the phone sucks. there's like a dozen things that haven't been thought of, e.g u can't turn off radio if u pull the headphone plug out while listening. it's damn big too, doesn't fit in pocket well. worst thing is, it has broken.
1. some buttons hardly work at all. u have to press really hard and from right angle or it don't do the letter.
2. the speaker sometimes goes dead.
3. the headphones have broken. microphone doesn't work and the left earplug has gone dead.
4. the back cover has become very lose, and can open when just having it in my pocket
these are not because of me dropping the phone or such, because i haven't dropped it! also i've not drowned it or nething like that. it just is plain crap.

Also, if u want to listen to music with the thing, the radio antenna is way too weak. extremely rarely u hear stereo sound, and that only from radio nova (finnish radio station). if u want to listen to ur own music u need to convert mp3s to another format using a program comming with the phone. the converting is really slow and the name and artist always get fucked up (u can c them in the phone).

my advice: don't buy!
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Antz wrote:Movie - Shrek
surely a movie to see. u may think it's a children's cartoon, but it sure isn't. filled with funny jokes and high quality voice acting it is very good! don't bother watching a translated film though, english is the best!
i totally agree with review above, i had bad thoughts about it too but it turned to be one of the best "cartoon" film ever. I didn't for once got bored during the film, and the graphics were totally awesome. very very highly recommended.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Movie - Da Ali G Show

The concept is same that on "Ali G Bling Bling", which abula already reviewed. I've seen both and think this is the better one, the "interviews" are done with more interesting people. The "kazastan" part was very great in this one also, it feels like "damn" when they move back to the ali g part. anyways, if you like ali g, you will like this one also. I liked.
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Mobile fone - Nokia 3310

An all round good phone. Durable, Ive dropped mine a lot and its still fine. Getting old though, non colour screen, normal ringtones, etc. But still, I think its pretty good.

3/5
Last edited by chux on 15 Dec 2002, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Film - Ali G Indahouse

Such a joke film, probably better in the cinema than at home, but what isnt? Constant laughs, sometimes I coulnt hear the film cos of all the people laughing! :D One you can watch 2, probably 3 times and still laugh all the way though

5/5
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

hmmm....

BOOK: stephen king The Stand

this book is aboutthe world (america) after a plague that killed about 99.99% of all humans on earth...some just where immune..... they tryto build up a new "world" but there is a good and an evil "force"...... the book has about 1200 pages but its a LOT of fun to read....

MOVIE: Cube

i saw it yesterday and its a avery intersting story: a few people are put into a giant cube with small cubes in it.. every cube looks the same, only the colour is different.... some cubes are deadly traps... its insane how thepeople develope during theirsearch forthe way out....
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - The Crow
One of the worst things that I can imagine is death sentence for innocent. That's the subject of this movie and I liked it. I'm not that into scifi (unnatural things anyway) and in this movie there was some scifi stuff which I mainly dislike. Worth watching once but that's it. The crow's symbolical message was too strong, it was everywhere all the time. I had feelings during the movie, especially at the end, I was hardly able to watch/listen to it because of shaking.

2½/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0109506)
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

CD/LP: Snapcase - End Transmission

This record is the Buffalo hardcore'ers 4th full-length, and they only get better with age. This is their most diverse and dense release yet, and it is a bit different in style from the previous. While Progression Through Unlearning was mostly about fast'n furious hardcore, and Designs For Automotion mostly the same, here the guys have slowed down. They even have piano parts! Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of the good ol' Snapcase here, the opening track Coagulate being a full-proof of that.

The lyrics are good as always, and here they concentrate on a future society, the year being 2071. The whole lyric booklet is like an epic story.

If you think slower songs might mean less screaming, you're partially right. Daryl Taberski is talking on a couple of tracks, and this gives a very cool effect, just before he starts screaming his lungs out... :)
Some of the tracks moves nearly onto nu-metal ground, but thankfully not all the way there.

So, that said, I can recommend this record if you like Snapcase, or if you are into hardcore. If you can't tolerate screaming vocals, then don't bother trying to listen to it.

I give it a 5/6.
Rules | FAQ
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - A view to a kill
I thought I had seen all old James Bonds but no. That was almost the only the reason I watched this movie. A few good scenes but mostly crap.

1½/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0090264)

Movie - Mies vailla menneisyyttä
I like Finnish movies more because I understand more eventhough they don't teach me English. I've seen much better FIN movies. This one has gotten some awards but usually that only means that I don't like them :]. Not that bad anyway.

2/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0311519)
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Movie - Memories (1996)

This is a nice anime movie, cut into three separate short stories of ~35mins. First story is about a space station/ship that finds this weird planet/astroid type of thing because of a sos call from it. Two of the guys go in and inside there's all types of weird stuff, looks like a normal mansion, but everything in it is fake. Seems that the place takes your memories and make them into this substance that brakes when you touch it. Everything in the house is from the memories of a girl that used to live there or something. The story is really weird, but very nice.

Second story is kinda funnier and ironic. It's about a lab guy that accidently swallows a pill which turns him into a living stink bomb (heh). All sorts of stuff happens while he unknowingly travels to tokyo as a bomb that kills everything on his way there.

Third story is rather boring, about a city made up of cannons and blabla.
The movie is worth watching just because of those two first stories, really nice and twisted stuff.

3/5 (would have been 4/5 if it hadn't been for the last story)

Movie - Mobile Police Patlabor 2 (1990)
Another anime flick, maybe you've heard of the series. This a fantastic anime with stunning visuals and a really believable and complex plot. Takes place in year 1999, the mobile police patlabor forces is a force of big robotlike machines that has been made to protect the machines called Labors that are sort of workers doing different kind of jobs. (Patlabor = Patrol Labors) The story is quite complex to tell here, but people high up in the government are creating a sort of war in tokyo, which the mp police has to take care of. I'd like to tell it better but you should go see the movie instead.

5/5

Movie - Bad Company (2002)
A CIA agent is killed in an important mission going on in czech republic about obtaining a nuclear bomb from the blackmarket. They find the agent's twin brother and recruits him for the mission. I usually hate Chris Rock, but he was just ok in this movie. Of course everything works out alright and blabla. Somewhat enjoying movie, but a rather boring and overrused plot.

3/5
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - For your eyes only
Again, James Bond movie that I hadn't seen, maybe I have seen none of them in fact? It's getting better, I liked this movie more than Tomorrow never dies or A view to a kill. More action, more scenes. The end was terrible though. The yellow citroen part was very good.

3-/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082398)
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Kuski - Abula
Seems to love films!
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

ChuckleS wrote:Kuski - Abula
Seems to love films!
I just have some movie watching mood now. In last three years I've seen max 20 movies and now in a week I've watched like 10.
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Kuski - Chris Penrose

dunno why some ppl seem to hate it. I don't. Maybe it does do a bit too much moderating every now and then but it's made in england, so what can u expect of it :wink2: ?

usually 4/5

sometimes, when it has a bad day, 2/5 or 3/5
Last edited by Antz on 17 Dec 2002, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

MOVIE: the story of ricky, ricky-ho

well its one of the sickest (and best) splatter movies ive ever seen...
ricky is put into a prison and has to kill a lot of people.... somehow he got GIANT strenght so almost every punch smashes his enemies into pieces....
the gore scenes are made quite good and there are some funny parts in this movie, too...
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

I'll write a Lord of the Rings: Two Towers review here... after I've seen it.
Last edited by MagnusB on 20 Dec 2002, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Movie - Changing Lanes (2002)
This is about a buisness guy played by Samuel L. Jackson, that's about to go to court for the custody of his kids. He has to show up in court for the case, but on the freeway he crashes with a lawyer played by Ben Affleck. He's late for the case and loses the custody, which gets him pretty pissed. The lawyer had an important case too, but when they crashed Jackson got his papers by accident and now he wants revenge. He destroys the papers, and voila, there's a personal war started between them. Pretty decent movie, but it's kinda "onesided" and predictable.

4/6

Movie - The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion (2001)
I usually can't stand Woody Allen, I really hate him actually, but in this movie he's kinda ok. He plays an insurance investigator, and when his company hires another employee to reorganize the place, he gets frustrated. They get a bad start with each other and end up kinda hating each other. Then one day they go out with the rest of the company to a hypnotizing show. They get hypnotized by the magician, and what they don't know is that after the show, he calls them on the phone and says a word and they get hypnotized again. He uses them for stealing jewels and stuff, and Allen is put on the case. It gets quite complicated when he tries to find the criminal, which is in fact himself. Kinda funny movie, with a nice plot.

4/6

Movie - The Time Machine (2002)
An inventor loses the love of his life and ends up trying to make a time machine. He succeeds, but eventhough he travels back in time, the girl just dies again. By accident he travels into the future. Since he is from the 19th century, alot of the stuff he sees is quite powerful for him with all the technology that's been made etc. He ends up in a year where there's a meteor shower or something, and his machine ends up damaged and he gets knocked out. He travels like 800000 years into the future. By this time the earth's cyclus has started over and there's not alot of people around. He ends up with a tribe that lives high up in mountains because of these kinda beasts that are hunting for them. The movie starts out kinda nice, but when he gets to the tribe, everything starts to get so ridiculous. The ending is even weirder. One plus for the movie is that it's starring Guy Pearce, the sexiest actor ever.

3/6
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - From Russia with love
The second Bond ever filmed. Old and boring but nostalgic.

2/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0057076)
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - Session 9
Too many unanswered questions left after seeing the film, that's not what I like. I waited 80 minutes for the great end which was just terrible. It's different.

½/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0261983)
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Movie - Old Men In New Cars (2002)
A damn funny danish action comedy. This guy Harald gets out of jail and he owes money to some drugpeople, at the same time his kinda "father" is dieing and needs a new liver. He wants to meet his lost son before he dies so Harald and his friends gotta get him outta a swedish jail. Everything in this movie is pretty much funny, kinda black humour that I like.

5/6

Movie - Die Another Day
Newest James Bond movie, I haven't really liked any of the pierce brosnan films so far except goldeneye which was alright. This one is kinda ok too, but the plot is kinda farfetched, even more than usual. The dialogs are kinda dry and fake, and the movie gets kinda boring after awhile.

3½//6
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I've noticed something...Abula said the he generally finds James Bond movies to be entertaining. Yet, the ones he has "reviewed" here, he's given mostly 1-2/5, and the best grade he has given is 3-/5

So I guess Abula gets entertained by watching (in his opinion) bad films... :)
Rules | FAQ
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I watch the worst Bonds at first. Though I don't all of them :(.
XTC
Kuski

Post by XTC »

CD/LP: System Of A Down - Steal This Album! (2002)
ok so this is the 3rd(?) soad album, it roxx, imo, if you liked toxicity then you'll propably like this also, it has some bad tracks but it rlz neway
(i bought it, i didnt "steal" it) :D

4/5
Im just a pretty boy or whatever you call it.
XTC
Kuski

hmm one more thing..

Post by XTC »

A blowjob from a pretty ugly bitch

Well the bitch was pretty ugly, i noticed it the day after, well the blowjob was pretty ok thou, the main reason it was ok was cuz i was damn drunk. otherwise.. hmm i dont know.

3/5

(ps. im not trying to get über many posts, this just came to my mind)
Im just a pretty boy or whatever you call it.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Movie - Storytelling
Two different stories, not a long movie, some interesting aspects, not worth burning to cd.

2/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0250081)

Movie - Long time dead
Rubbish youth horror movie. Don't bother.

1/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0251806)
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Movie - Murder By Numbers (2002)
Two highschool kids commit a "perfect" murder, sandra bullock plays some hardass angry cop that gets the case. she doesn't exactly fit the character, those two kids are very annoying aswell. boring movie :\

2/6

Movie - Karate Ghostbuster (1978)
Classic Jackie Chan movie. He plays a munk student guy in a temple, always goofing around. Some guy steals a book from the temple containing the deadly and almost undefeatable seven fist style, and he tries to take over all the clans in the country. Jackie then finds an old book with the only style that can defeat it, the five fist style. In the book there's ghosts that learns him the styles :P. It's pretty lol movie but at the same time it's pretty cool. Nice fights as usual in a Jackie Chan movie.

4/6

Movie - Legend Of Hell House (1973)
"the granddaddy of haunted house movies", just had to see this. you never actually see any ghosts or stuff like that, every scare is made by sounds and objects, and it's very effective. pretty scary movie, i understand why it was referred to as the best haunted house movie, they just don't make movies like this anymore. r0x0r

5/6
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

CD - System Of A Down - Steal This Album
Damn, beaten to this one
yep, its the 3rd SOAD album and yes, it r0xx0r. Its made up of unreleased tracks from when they started (about 1995) up until they released Toxicity (2001). Its usually worrying when a band release an album like this, it usually means theyre gonna stop making music soon...apparantly, SOAD are still making new music too...Phew
4/5[/b]
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

Movie - The Sixth Sense
nae bad. the movie had good quality acting and the plot was excellent. too bad i already knew it so there was not much surprise to me in the ending. deffinately worth seeing.

Movie - The Emperors New Groove
disney movies aren't what they used to be. i'd prefer some classic Sleeping Beauty or Beuty and the Beast rather than this. there was some real magic in those. these modern things are just normal cartoons. =(.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Yes. Disney has sold it's soul... :(
Rules | FAQ
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Lord of the rings - The fellowship of ring
I hated fantasy movies. I want to see the second and third parts of LOTR.

4½/5 (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120737)
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Oops. I said that I'd write a review of Two Towers. I'll do it in this post.

Lord of the rings - Two Towers
Like Abula said, these movies are obviously not only for people who like fantasy. The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic story. Tolkien hasn't just written some books, he's created a world. A world with its own languages, its own legends and stories, etc. Making a movie based on the The Lord of the Rings book(s) must seem like an impossible task to a director. The book is just so exstensive so descriptive and so lengthy that you simply have to shorten it down. Peter Jackson has done this very well. He has managed to cut away the things that we can live without knowing, and emphasize on the things we have to know.

Two Towers picks up where Fellowship left off. The fellowship has been broken, and the story divides up into several different storylines. This is handled in a typical 'soap-opera'-fashion, with the different storylines intersecting each other.
  • Frodo and Sam are attacked by Gollum. They manage to overpower him, and persuade him to guide them to Mordor
  • Merry and Pippin have been captured by the Uruk-hai. Saruman has ordered the orcs not to kill them, because he thinks that they might have The Ring, or at least information about it
  • Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are pursuing the Uruk-hai, hoping that Merry and Pipping are still alive
This movie is even more visually stunning than the previous one. Gollum is entirely the work of computer animation, but he looks so real that you might as well refer to him as an actor. (Gollum, by the way, is a very interesting character. Although it looks like all hope is lost for him and that the ring has completely destroyed him, you can tell that Gollum, or Sméagol, once was a normal person.)
Gollum is not the only stunning animation in the movie, also the gigantic battles taking place are completely breathtaking. It's almost impossible to tell that it's not real.

The movie might be better if you haven't read the book. No matter how good a movie is, it can never rival its origin. And the Lord of the Rings book is in my opinion the best book ever written. Like in the first movie, where e.g Tom Bombadil was nonexistent, certain parts have been left out also in Two Towers. It's possible that some of these parts will instead appear in Return of the King, they did mix around a bit with the transition between the two first books.
Representing the group that has read the book, I can say that I'm very satisfied with the movie.

The conclusion is; even if you're not very much into fantasy..., in fact, even if you dislike or hate fantasy; you should go see this movie. You won't regret it.
If you do regret it, you hopefully represent an infinitly small fraction of the human population and should be locked up for life in a cell with no doors or windows and walls made up entirely of a movie screen perpetually showing this movie until the day that you admit that the movie is not that bad or the day that you die. Have a nice day.

9.9/10

http://www.lordoftherings.net
http://www.theonering.net
http://www.thelordoftherings.com
http://www.lordotrings.com
Etc. etc. Just do a Google search damn it...
Antz
Donator

Post by Antz »

imo fellowship of the ring as a movie was very good, but as a part of tolkiens lord of the rings it was really bad. there were several bad things done to the plot. i think they were too bad. u kinda lost some meaning compared to the book. (e.g travel to bree without bombadil and stuff, the start being too rapid, it took several years!, the travel to rivendell, especially the part where arwen raises the waves and stuff, sarumans orc-breeding been shown, readers weren't supposed to know nearly as much of what the dark ones people did!!!, boromirs ultra-super-hyper brave ending when he took 103 arrows and killed 37 orcs, having to look at frodos face from 12 cm away, so u could see what he ate last week etc etc etc...)

the most incredible computer-generated thing in fellowship of the ring i think was the size of the hobbits. it was so bloody well made u couldn't notice it anywhere!
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

imo fellowship of the ring as a movie was very good, but as a part of tolkiens lord of the rings it was really bad.
You shouldn't say that. Like I said it's almost impossible to capture the magic of a 1000 page book in 9 hours (all movies combined).
there were several bad things done to the plot. i think they were too bad. u kinda lost some meaning compared to the book.
I agree, it wasn't perfect. They obviously had to shorten down everything, when you consider what would've happened if they hadn't... the movie (FOTR) would've been 5-6 hours long. That's way too much.
(e.g travel to bree without bombadil and stuff
Try to imagine what the whole Bombadil-part would've been like in a movie.... it would've been really bad. It's that kind of thing you can only leave for the reader to imagine, you can't capture it on a screen and tell people what it's like.
the start being too rapid, it took several years!,
So you expected the movie to take several years too? The start wasn't very rapid in my opinion, the part between the Shire and Rivendell was however.
the travel to rivendell, especially the part where arwen raises the waves and stuff
I agree here, this part left a little to be desired. And the way they've given Arwen a much bigger role just because she's played by Liv Tyler is just disgusting.
sarumans orc-breeding been shown, readers weren't supposed to know nearly as much of what the dark ones people did!!!
I agree again, but this is another thing that might be hard to make in a movie. I can't really see how they would've done it otherwise.
boromirs ultra-super-hyper brave ending when he took 103 arrows and killed 37 orcs
I don't remember exactly, but doesn't it say in the book that he killed a lot of orcs after Frodo escaped. He got an honorable death at least.
having to look at frodos face from 12 cm away, so u could see what he ate last week etc etc etc...)

Well for god's sake.... who gives a damn?
the most incredible computer-generated thing in fellowship of the ring i think was the size of the hobbits.
That's not merely computer animation. People are either standing on crates or the scenes are shot seperatly, with the hobbits first and the rest afterwards for example.
I agree though. It's unbelievable. There's one scene where Bilbo takes Gandalf's hat from his hand, it's so fantastic... They shoot it in two takes, one where Bilbo takes the hat, and one where Gandalf gives it to him. Only one of them is present in each take.
it was so bloody well made u couldn't notice it anywhere!
WRONG! There's one scene where the whole fellowship is walking in the mountains, and they all walk one by one over an edge between two big rocks... there the hobbits and the rest are the same size. You'll always fins screw-ups like this though, it doesn't really matter when it's that hard to discover.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

MagnusB wrote:
Antz wrote:the start being too rapid, it took several years!
So you expected the movie to take several years too? The start wasn't very rapid in my opinion, the part between the Shire and Rivendell was however.
The start wasn't rapid? Well it only looked like Frodo left shortly after Bilbo...when it infact took 17(?) years. At least they could've showed this in a better way.
And the way Frodo and Sam met Merry and Pippin in the movie was just ridiculous.

But I agree with Magnus that you have to make some changes to make a good film.
Rules | FAQ
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Oops, sorry. I forgot that part really. I take it back.
And now that I think about it the whole 'conspiracy' was done badly.

But let's stop this discussion here at least. Make another topic if you want to.
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

Review - The Review Topic

The "Review Topic" has in my mind been a success as it has helped people decide what to buy and what to watch (well at least i hope it has) this topic has been informative and interesting and long may it continue. i would like to thank the contributors for there excellent reviews and carry on.

Thank you and Good night

***** rating
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

DIRECTOR: Peter Jackson

hehe, most people only know him since lotr, but before that he made horror-movies like the frighteners and before that he made splatter movies:
if you ever have a chance (not too hard) to watch 'braindead' or 'bad taste' or maybe even 'meet the feebles' uncut version, do it and imagine that its the same production company (wingnut prod.) and director (peter jackson) who made lord of the rings....
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

insane guy wrote:DIRECTOR: Peter Jackson

hehe, most people only know him since lotr, but before that he made horror-movies like the frighteners and before that he made splatter movies:
if you ever have a chance (not too hard) to watch 'braindead' or 'bad taste' or maybe even 'meet the feebles' uncut version, do it and imagine that its the same production company (wingnut prod.) and director (peter jackson) who made lord of the rings....
i didnt think that anyone outside new zealand had seen those movies, most new zealanders wont have even seen them
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Of course we've seen Bad Taste and Braindead. They're classics! :lol: