People need to stop writing irrelevant posts with zero value

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

People need to stop writing irrelevant posts with zero value

Post by ville_j »

It's fucking annoying.

Including:
  • Most posts by Tigro
  • Some posts by Bjenn
  • Posts with an url link only
  • Posts with an url link and no description what the fuck is behind it
  • Posts containing only emoticons
Feel free to add more.

Try to put some more effort into your posts. This is a forum, not a fucking irc chat. You can take an example from this post, look how well I even used the subject field, didn't waste a character!
Last edited by ville_j on 18 Nov 2012, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
abruzzi
Kuski

Re: People need to stop writing irrelevant posts with zero v

Post by abruzzi »

agre
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

All tj posts.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Igge wrote:All tj posts.
I think you might be mixing up things in here, teajay's posts are not irrelevant. Actually some of his posts are very informative I think. If posts are boring it's ok, there are millions of things that are boring and uninteresting. This is a topic of informativeness,
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

one relevant post:
most posts by twipley.
edit: i am just wondering why is this in non-elma related discussion.
Last edited by Tigro on 18 Nov 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

tj's posts looked really forced and uninformative in a stage when he tried to seriously push his postcount, but there was time when your posts were of about the same informative quality, Igge :p Also i don't care much about what Ville says here, forum seems fine nowadays, it has gone through much worse negative iq epidemies.
Can't think of any complaint really, except for a fucking italics overuse >:D
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I guess Tigro is going for post count as well (;D), but whatever, I just don't get what's so annoying about these posts. Probably not consuming your time, because they are short, and you said tj's posts were not annoying. What, then? Not slowing down your computer I suppose? Ye, this is not irc, but if all that people want to express is a minute emotion or a very short side-thought, why not? This is not a wiki page too after all.

Anyway, I think "posts containing only emoticons" would suit your list. I like those.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

anpdad wrote:tj's posts looked really forced and uninformative in a stage when he tried to seriously push his postcount, but there was time when your posts were of about the same informative quality, Igge :p Also i don't care much about what Ville says here, forum seems fine nowadays, it has gone through much worse negative iq epidemies.
This is exactly how I feel about everything as well.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Tigro wrote:one relevant post:
most posts by twipley.
edit: i am just wondering why is this in non-elma related discussion.
This topic is about writing better and more informative posts, how is it elma-related topic?
anpdad wrote:tj's posts looked really forced and uninformative in a stage when he tried to seriously push his postcount, but there was time when your posts were of about the same informative quality, Igge :p Also i don't care much about what Ville says here, forum seems fine nowadays, it has gone through much worse negative iq epidemies.
You are right, the situation is not that bad and it has been worse. But every time I see a post which completely wasted my time with its uninformativeness it just strikes me. Maybe some people have a different view on how to use discussion forums, but to me it is all about sharing information. It is very satisfying to read an informative posts on interesting topics. Sure, I have made some pointless posts too, everyone does, and this topic is just a little note to us all to pay attention how and what we post.

Edit:
And to pawq: these little posts are not a big problem when we are constantly reading topics as they grow, but if/when we want to look back for example few years that's when the annoyance increase. Because the idea of a discussion forum is that everything that has been written will be saved and stored forever you might want to think twice what is worth writing.
Last edited by ville_j on 18 Nov 2012, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

hi
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

i think bjenn posts are ok and haven't see many of them, but i do see many posts with zero value from teajay and twipley. but i see everybody knows that already.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I agree. Tigro stop it!
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

I haven't seen twipley post one relevant thing in months :D
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Ville_J wrote:if/when we want to look back for example few years that's when the annoyance increase.
true, agree about that. but still, i wouldn't like to think about the future generations before writing my every single post, that would ruin the experience :( imagine, someone posts new sick time and you can't even say "WOW SICK GZ", which is maybe not irrelevant, but definitely uninformative.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

when you guys are so geniuses, give some milestones, what actually is (or what do you consider, which is different thing) a relevant topic.

edit: and posts containing only: +1
are these relevant or whatthe? i don´t see any problem in this, if you just see it, you roll down and dont bother.
edit 2: i see that 4th point is included in the 3rd point, VJ.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

All topics are relevant (maybe a little AKB exception here) because they are created to discuss about the subject. If you meant posts, I could say that this topic already has some posts with very little value. Writing "I agree" is as useless as "+1". Your posts in this topic seem to be relevant, we are discussing about the subject.

GZS and WOWS are ok because they are on topic. I didn't mean that every post should have some shocking new information for it to be "acceptable".
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Tigro wrote:when you guys are so geniuses, give some milestones, what actually is (or what do you consider, which is different thing) a relevant topic.
Relevant to what?
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

yeh, i meant posts not topics (greetings, AKB). Do you mean, that relevant post = on topic post only?
nonzero post value = relevant post?
that means nonzero value = ontopic only
what about jokes, non-elma posts and so on?
i think that in this forum (non-elma), there is much lesser strictness of having relevant posts, but ye, still it needs something, ur right.
in Elma related forums i agree that there should be more strict rules to obey concerning relevancy of posts.

p.s. sry for so many irrelevant posts, i will practice to make it moar ontopic or something.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Tigro wrote:p.s. sry for so many irrelevant posts, i will practice to make it moar ontopic or something.
pls don't practise anything. Just stop posting so many posts.

Maybe giving yourself a limit for post/day would be a good idea. I suggest 0,142857143 posts/day (that would be one post every seven days) :wink:
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

I don't think you can draw such lines on this matter. A post can be irrelevant and/or zero value. If you write on topic there's a good chance that it is "acceptable" post but not necessarily. I would not have written this post.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I do find myself annoyed by so many irrelevant uninformative posts that were posted just for the sake of posting these days. I just don't know what's worse:
1. I come to lauta, click "view new posts" and there hasn't been a single post posted during the whole day, or
2. I come to lauta, click "view new posts" and there's 20 topics with new posts in them, by the same friggin' user, and every post is just shit.
Maybe the latter one is more annoying because I'm getting my hopes up when I see there's a new post in an interesting topic and the post is a total waste of time o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

Ville_J wrote: Including:
  • Most posts by Tigro
  • Some posts by Bjenn
What about Including:
  • Every post of Zero-NSB
?))
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I think ville is right, and roope is too. But there is this tendency that people like to interpret all that has been better than all that is to come. If I read through the stuff that was posted back in 2002, I don't see any changes at all actually, or just one thing: the average user knows how to write english far better than back then.

I understand that some of you find my posts at times very much irrelevant. I'm sorry for that, but I sometimes have the urge to breath some life into this forum (especially the non-elma related discussions). At other times I just want to get closer to my amazing goal of 10k. Just keep in mind that there's a limit to those silly posts then. ;)

And to get worked up over stuff like this seems to me a bit useless and an absolute waste of time. Feel free though. It's a free internet.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I do understand that sometimes people just want to keep the forums alive and I don't see anything wrong with that, but I've also noticed that lauta breathes on it's own. For a period there's good new active topics, lots of posts by different users and a (relatively) high quality of discussion. Sometimes it regresses to a few post(er)s a day, and half of them in New internal times -thread. I like going with the natural flow of teh lauta :p
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Ville_J wrote:Writing "I agree" is as useless as "+1".
What the fuck is wrong about this?! It's as much on topic, as relevant to it, because instead of rephrasing someone else's opinion, you simply admit that you agree with it, which is a hell lot shorter. "+1" is an even shorter version, but expresses just the same, a point of view.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

In any case this discussion is very subjective. To make an objective observation about the quality of people's writing is by all means not possible. What Ville is asking us is to spend more time on our writings. I have considered this, and sometimes I also do exactly this. When I'm interested or feel like it. Sometimes it will kill the discussion if every post is an essay by itself. There is no strict line between a discussion and a chat. And mopolauta has always been home to simple chats aswell. We should think too hard about things as they should be, we should accept what we have and do with it.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

User control panel -> friends and foes (bottom of menu on left) -> manage foes -> type in tigro and press submit.

?????

profit
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Pawq wrote:
Ville_J wrote:Writing "I agree" is as useless as "+1".
What the fuck is wrong about this?! It's as much on topic, as relevant to it, because instead of rephrasing someone else's opinion, you simply admit that you agree with it, which is a hell lot shorter. "+1" is an even shorter version, but expresses just the same, a point of view.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you shouldn't use this expression at all. It fits very well on topics where maybe a simple question/answer is provided. But don't you think, if in this topic everyone who agreed with me would've written just "+1" it had been a bit dull to read? When you give your input to the discussion it gives the variation to it and it can lead to something.

Also, I did not mean that everyone must spend 15 minutes writing longer posts, sometimes the shorter the better.
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Spend 15mins not on length but quality and that's it. Well written posts can be entertaining to read even if it is long.

Well composed and thought out posts keep the forum interesting to follow, no one wants to sieve out the reasonable stuff from a pile of irrelevant messy spam.

Common sense and courtesy would help a lot but i think that's too much to ask in internet. If people are having a good time arguing e.g a new style in the forum, it only takes ONE spamming whiner and that's it, lost cause to visit the topic. It's nice to have a good argue but , but mindless spamming and childishness kills all interest.
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Kiiwi wrote:If people are having a good time arguing e.g a new style in the forum, it only takes ONE spamming whiner and that's it, lost cause to visit the topic. It's nice to have a good argue but , but mindless spamming and childishness kills all interest.
I think you're exaggerating a lot
Ville: donno really, but from what you write it seems that our views overlap pretty much completely, so :beer:
mans pls listen to Ville
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

What is irrelevant to one might be of enormous relevance to the other. In any case I think you're right it is nice to read stuff that you're interested in. So I agree with your opposition to all these posts that do not add much value to the whole body of writings here. Although I do think this is hard to decide as even a silly chat can be fun for those participating in it. What we can and should agree on is that there ought to be a balance between topics where we chat a bit and make jokes with italics and on the other threads where we love to go to see what nom for example is writing about his diet or a topic about the importance of blood donorship or any other example you find interesting for that matter.

So people need to start writing posts that add value, be it in a truly essayistic sense or just for the fun of chatting, but in any case not just for adding a new +1 to the topic and their post count.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:
Kiiwi wrote:If people are having a good time arguing e.g a new style in the forum, it only takes ONE spamming whiner and that's it, lost cause to visit the topic. It's nice to have a good argue but , but mindless spamming and childishness kills all interest.
I think you're exaggerating a lot
I think it's ridiculous to tell another person their perception on their own opinion is wrong or exaggerated. Others say they find some of your posts annoying and useless. Nobody disagrees with this except you. You'll just continue to tell them they don't actually think that way, and keep posting shit like "+1" for your own satisfaction?

(my thought train probably vroomed too far with this post, i hope it makes sense)
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I'd say it got derailed lous :P What I meant by that is that some random spam won't at once make everyone annoyed, kill their interest and scare them off the topic. Spam may get people annoyed, but most just ignore it and proceed to reading following posts, and continue contributing to the topic. People who see one spam post and ragequit lauta are a bit weak-minded ;D
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:I'd say it got derailed lous :P What I meant by that is that some random spam won't at once make everyone annoyed, kill their interest and scare them off the topic.
Well... Kiiwi said that's just what happens to him, and you're saying it's not. On what basis?
Pawq wrote:Spam may get people annoyed, but most just ignore it and proceed to reading following posts, and continue contributing to the topic.
What's the purpose of spam, then? The tiny bit of anger from here and there builds up over time and gets really fucking irritating (as you can clearly see from people posting in this thread). Why not stop something that serves no positive purpose?

I'm occasionally guilty of useless posts, but at least I'm not actively defending it. :S
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

39:37,91
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Lousku wrote:
Pawq wrote:I'd say it got derailed lous :P What I meant by that is that some random spam won't at once make everyone annoyed, kill their interest and scare them off the topic.
Well... Kiiwi said that's just what happens to him, and you're saying it's not. On what basis?
Pawq wrote:Spam may get people annoyed, but most just ignore it and proceed to reading following posts, and continue contributing to the topic.
What's the purpose of spam, then? The tiny bit of anger from here and there builds up over time and gets really fucking irritating (as you can clearly see from people posting in this thread). Why not stop something that serves no positive purpose?
I don't want to go about it forever, but Kiiwi said that "it happens", which sounded quite as if it happened for everyone. but nvm, let it be
about the second part - do you really think people spam on purpose? I very rarely post something irrelevant/stupid just for the sake of it, to piss someone off or whatever. usually i have nothing mega informative or constructive to say, but i decide to share whatever i think nevertheless, which becomes spam. i wouldn't say there's a purpose to spam in general though

edit: fuck, was supposed to be a pm but whatever :U
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:do you really think people spam on purpose?
Good question. I guess everyone ought to keep levels of self-awareness in check. *beer-smiley*

But then... yes, some people do. AKB being the most obvious one. Teajay at least tries to force insight in his posts but often fails.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

AKB obv, but I'm not even considering him in this discussion, I'm trying not to infect my mind with himself :p

and tj... I think that each time he posts in a topic, he actually catches the point of the topic and elaborates on it, but the sheer number and volume of the posts make him pretty much a flooder, which is apparently quite close to a spammer. What I think also contributes is that most of his posts are not very entertaining to read.
That said, I would still very much miss tj if he left :(
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

But I try so hard, Pawq... :wink2:
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Lousku wrote:
Pawq wrote:do you really think people spam on purpose?
Good question. I guess everyone ought to keep levels of self-awareness in check. *beer-smiley*

But then... yes, some people do. AKB being the most obvious one. Teajay at least tries to force insight in his posts but often fails.
i do not. some do.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I am very insightful. I always am. I am very important and my opinion matters really much and truly enriches the spectre of opinions here. I think I never fail at writing insightful post and I always carefully weigh my words in order to make a worthy contribution here. I feel shocked that you think otherwise. Lousku, who are you to judge me like that? Have you at least checked my post count, before trying to insult and attack me like that? I have much more experience points than you and you can't hurt me. It's not very effective. Teajay uses massive word blast. It's super effective.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

just to make some informative, senseful post. concerning spamming the forum, i chose few people and sorted them to demonstrate, that in fact, I am in no way spamming this forum:

Code: Select all

Tigro		0,60	posts per day since 2009
A.K.B		1,41	posts per day since 2005	2,4 times more
Lousku	  1,68	posts per day since 2010	2,8 times more
igge		 2,70	posts per day since 2007	4,5 times more
teajay	  2,80	posts per day since 2003	4,7 times more
pawq		 3,02	posts per day since 2008	5,0 times more
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Look at AKB. Few posts, but all are spam. You can make many posts and still not be considered a spammer as long as they are insightful and relevant and don't feel forced.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I think there are more ppl who write senseless posts, but they are somewhat appreciated by teh community, and i dunno why. (jon)
yes igge, thats true indeed. the thing i wanted to say is that i am not a spammer in the means of flooding the board.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

value = 0
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I didn't know I wrote irrelevant posts, I'm sorry then. If you mean those against pawq/tigro, is because I hate getting attacked like that for no reason and I just can't let it pass =)
They know it, is why they do it. They bad persons.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Tigro wrote:most posts by twipley.
Tigro wrote: i don´t see any problem in this
Tigro wrote:sry for so many irrelevant posts
Tigro wrote:i will practice to make it moar ontopic or something.
Tigro wrote:i do not. some do.
Tigro wrote:concerning spamming the forum, i chose few people and sorted them to demonstrate, that in fact, I am in no way spamming this forum
Tigro wrote:I think there are more ppl who write senseless posts
Tigro wrote:the thing i wanted to say is that i am not a spammer
Tigro wrote:i don´t spam at all, all others do
Tigro wrote:thats true indeed
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

This whole topic seems like an excuse for people to write more useless posts....
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

good stats tigro, but i think your post posting trend looks more or less like this:
;)