What are you doing with your life?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: What are you doing with your life?

Post by Orcc »

John wrote:
John wrote:I've tried to think of what I want to do with my life, what I want to work with in the future and the rest of my career. The past year my thoughts has been more focused on one job that previously seemed unreachable, a commercial pilot. I've always been fascinated by aviation and started reading about different flight schools. Unfortunately, yesterday I went to an eye doctor, the laser treatment kind, and he said he wouldn't recommend me doing a laser surgery due to too thin cornea. That was a real disappointment :/ That is also where saving the money comes in. The medical examination for a private pilot license (PPL) isn't as strict so although I was saving for a possible ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License) / CPL (Commercial Pilot License) I might still be able to at least get a PPL, which of course is cheaper too. Flying is my dream.
Went on a 1 hour try-out lesson in a Cessna 172 Skyhawk SP today. I didn't get to start, land or communicate with the tower but other than that I was pretty much free to do whatever. We did some pretty big hang-time manouvers and one stall into a dive. Have to admit stomach didn't like that. Maybe I'm not acrobat flying material but that's not what I want anyway :)

Will do new examination at eye doctors later this fall. Last time I had contacts up until 5 mins before examination compared to the 3-days-only-glasses prior recommendation (which I heard about afterwards)

Other than that, still working my ass off and hardcoring PS3 games when at home. Still wishing I could travel more.
Have you investigated what's the job situation for pilots in Sweden? A friend of mine is a pilot, graduated roughly five years ago. There just aren't jobs for pilots, he worked some two years in a shitty-paying assembly job in a local factory and started university studies two years ago. Yearly he has to pay 2000 € or something to have his license up to date.

In the pilot studies there were 20 students with him in the same year course. He says two of them have got job, both flying in Asia with monthly salary of about 1000 €.

----

I myself am working full-time in a workshop factory that manufactures pipes and pressure vessels. I'm also writing my master's thesis there, I think it's about halfway finished.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Nice John.
I don't play elma anymore, I am more outgoing. Met so many new people this year. Still unlucky with the women, but I'm sure it will come to me soon!
Yesterday I met a really nice girl, and she seems to be the kind I like. Calm to her senses, very attractive, tall, and yeah..beautiful!
I'm working 5 days a week as a supporttechnician at a IT company otherwise, I still don't know what my dream profession would be..
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

On drugs now, so i be honest
Doing drugs, doing work, studyink 6th year , soon it's called a master's project whatever
wane do drugs, no work, no studyink
realizyink 23 abit not 17
sadik

EDIT
LOL IM 22 AT THE MOMENTIK
Image Image
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

I wake up early in the morning, go to work. I mostly irc, play some stupid games and read stupid things on webs at work. Things have changed at my company since I got my current contract, thus I have very little actual work to do at work and most likely I won't get another contract. I go back home and do more or less the same things as at work, I ride a bike and occasionally go out. Sometimes I travel somewhere during weekend. Too bad a lot of my friends grew up, have families now, so partying or going out is getting more difficult than ever as some already have kids. I just finished writing my master thesis and now I just need it to be oked by some people at uni, before I will can finally after like 8 years get my master degree. Generally I'm focused on my masters right now. In the near future I want to ski somewhere in alps. In a long run I want to be ins steady relationship with some girl and have satisfying job.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

Pingywings wrote:normal school day: 1. wake up, school, elma, eat, elma, tv, sleep
not at school day: 2. wake up, elma, eat, elma, eat, elma, tv, sleep
rare day it dosen't rain: 3. wake up, mabye go out to town have a shit day anyway, elma, eat, elma, tv, sleep
a few days before exam 4. wake up, revision, elma, eat, more revision cause im a procrastinating asshat, sleep

thats pretty much it. hopefully soon when i leave school and go to college it'll get funner cause i'll probably meet people who i actually have things in common with, and hopefully meet people who are into music as much as i am, only person i know who can even play an instrument well is sanic and he's always playing dota with his bass locked in cupboard. main reason i play elma so much is because i really get along with people in the scene, i dont think i'd still be playing it if i diddnt have EOL
wow i used to be a fun guy. anyway, life has progressed now and it's got pretty groovy. i don't like this quote. I haven't really met anybody music-minded but tbh i don't care, i've found out my original friends are actually pretty fun when i'm not being a miserable turd. this is important. Never turn your back on people because you think they aren't good enough for you, maybe you're the problem. luckily i never ended up doing that, but one of my friends ditched our group in college and tried to find new ones, yep, it failed and now she's a bit of a hermit. sort of offtopic there.

2nd and final year of college at the moment. studying maths, physics + music tech. juggling 2 bands, a GF, a more active social life, and harder exams. Gonna be a bit hectic (yknow, relatively. i'm used to sitting around 24/7, and everything has suddenly come at once) but atleast i'm not doing /nothing/
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Going too London this weekend to see what Pingyes are like these days, other than that, just started actively to try meeting new girls. Mostly trying to organize my life to more rutines and I like my job still enough too not wanna change that in near future. Also want to start being around friends more, but It's like Chris, many have gf's, kids. For some reason I don't know how to handle being around my friends with kids, makes me feel like I'm with an old couple being there.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

n0thing, some skul rest computer
ToMaT
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Orcc wrote:
John wrote:
John wrote:I've tried to think of what I want to do with my life, what I want to work with in the future and the rest of my career. The past year my thoughts has been more focused on one job that previously seemed unreachable, a commercial pilot. I've always been fascinated by aviation and started reading about different flight schools. Unfortunately, yesterday I went to an eye doctor, the laser treatment kind, and he said he wouldn't recommend me doing a laser surgery due to too thin cornea. That was a real disappointment :/ That is also where saving the money comes in. The medical examination for a private pilot license (PPL) isn't as strict so although I was saving for a possible ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License) / CPL (Commercial Pilot License) I might still be able to at least get a PPL, which of course is cheaper too. Flying is my dream.
Went on a 1 hour try-out lesson in a Cessna 172 Skyhawk SP today. I didn't get to start, land or communicate with the tower but other than that I was pretty much free to do whatever. We did some pretty big hang-time manouvers and one stall into a dive. Have to admit stomach didn't like that. Maybe I'm not acrobat flying material but that's not what I want anyway :)

Will do new examination at eye doctors later this fall. Last time I had contacts up until 5 mins before examination compared to the 3-days-only-glasses prior recommendation (which I heard about afterwards)

Other than that, still working my ass off and hardcoring PS3 games when at home. Still wishing I could travel more.
Have you investigated what's the job situation for pilots in Sweden? A friend of mine is a pilot, graduated roughly five years ago. There just aren't jobs for pilots, he worked some two years in a shitty-paying assembly job in a local factory and started university studies two years ago. Yearly he has to pay 2000 € or something to have his license up to date.

In the pilot studies there were 20 students with him in the same year course. He says two of them have got job, both flying in Asia with monthly salary of about 1000 €.

----

I myself am working full-time in a workshop factory that manufactures pipes and pressure vessels. I'm also writing my master's thesis there, I think it's about halfway finished.
That seems worse than what I've heard from swedish pilot students. It's tough competition but not as bad as 2 out of 20 (or 21?). Also depends if you've got a type rating which is a license for a specific aircraft, or just a commercial pilot license which basically just allows you to make money out of flying. Does your friend have a type rating?

I know a guy who has a CPL but no type rating and he also has to work with other stuff to save up for the one. If you really want to make a living as a pilot you might have to compromise a bit. For example I think getting a type rating for some Citation will increase odds compared to type rating a B737.

Anyway, gotta keep the dream alive :) I need a private pilot license to begin with in any case. Just that 1 hour up in the air above Luleå made me feel good.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

After having my music heard by orchestras from around Australia I will be receiving some extra performances interstate and even in New Zealand, where they will fly me over for a premiere! More commissioning is coming too from this, which is very exciting. :)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

teajay wrote:[...]At the moment I have a parttime job of 8 hours a week [...] I earn a net salary of 500 euros there, which I use to pay my rent for a small room at a friend's place and to have a small standard of living. [...] Furthermore, I am busy with building my own company. I do jobs of all sorts in the music business that have to do with logistics and production of concerts. I am currently saving money in order to finance future needs [...] My plan is to have a successful and stable business in music/concert production in 10 years and to be a musician myself. I will start studying jazz guitar in September at a private school for music in Amsterdam. I want to be a very good musician, teacher and be in charge of my own business at the same time [...]
Ditched that small job when I found a parttime job (60%) at orchestra and choir as production assistant. I still do some freelance jobs in the classical music industry, writing and logistics, also I handle the administration for two other freelancers. I completely ditched the idea of performing music professionally, as I suck big time. It's a nice hobby though.

Financially, I'm doing better than before. I have some savings now, and also paying back my students loan is not impossible anymore. I'm not very ambitious anymore, I like living in the moment. At the moment that means sitting on the floor and writing a post on the internet to people who I think are not really interested at all. :wink2:
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Life is good! I'm been living in Barcelona one month now and about 5 more left. My 7+y GF is studing here her last year (Pharmacy) and after that (+6 months more in Finland) the world is open for us!

I became a full-time programmer (been coding professionally 6y now), doing web sites etc. (http://palsta.pulu.org/en/37-a-stack-ne ... and-nodejs). I didn't even have own computer when I started my Elma/Across career so thanks to the game & community that I'm now well paid and free to live wherever I (we..) want. You know, programming is location independent. More: http://pulu.org/lassi/eng/

Travelling is my number one ambition at the moment (http://palsta.pulu.org/en/39-my-journeys). 17 new countries since 2011 and three trips already booked for this spring. I've met fellow kuskis during the trips: eg. milagros in Zürich last summer.

I'm in Instagram (https://instagram.com/heikkinenlassi/) so let's change "followings" if you are there! I find FB quite boring these days. Lot's of uninteresting links and the people I don't care that much are the most active there.

I wish to find time to write a thorough article of my Elma life but it will be so huuuge project that I fear it won't get finished too soon. I will do it in parts so at least the first paragraphs should get ready before 2020.

My main problem at the moment: I like drinking bear too much and obsession to delicious food doesn't help either. I did 4:00:02 in marathon 1.5y ago but it's lots worse now.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Once again a down phase in my life. I'm quitting school because I have absolutely no interest in finishing it and honestly can't see myself working in that line of business. However, I don't have anything else either. I'm trying to look for jobs but I haven't gotten any responses to applications. My health and personality really narrow down my job search: I can't do very physical work because of my collarbone luxation (collarbone gets dislocated in everyday situations like raising my hand up), and I just simply can't do any selling stuff (marketing jobs, especially phone marketing, is the easiest job to get). I am not a salesman.

I'm having (or going to have in the near future) money issues because I won't get enough credits from school, which means I have to return some of my student allowance. This however doesn't stop me from using the money I have stupidly; I've been drinking a lot. I know I can't afford it, but I've still been drinking more or less every day for the past ~4 months.

I know this might just be another manifestation of the depressive phase of a possible bipolar disorder (total self-assessment but seems possible thinking about my history), and I've honestly pondered about trying to get some medication (more seriously than ever) before I fuck up my life too badly. It's just hard to lift my ass and do something.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Roope: make your own home wine or even better, bear. Ez saving + nice hobby and when your own bear is good enough you can give it to others as present and then receive money by selling it.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeh actually I've though about that. Just never orkaed checking what the equipment would cost. But well, that's another thing that I would get if I had some constant money source, i.e. job.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

My life has become quite boring since I won a few million in the lottery earlier this year. I spend all days hanging about and pondering what to do with all that money, whether to buy a Lamborghini or be content with the Ferrari I've got, whether to buy a yacht or a helicopter, whether to buy another mansion, what to do with all my free time and boring stuff like that. Sometimes I wish I could give that money to someone and be poor again.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

you should buy a helicopter for john
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I'm into planes.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

roope wrote:Once again a down phase in my life. I'm quitting school because I have absolutely no interest in finishing it and honestly can't see myself working in that line of business. However, I don't have anything else either. I'm trying to look for jobs but I haven't gotten any responses to applications. My health and personality really narrow down my job search: I can't do very physical work because of my collarbone luxation (collarbone gets dislocated in everyday situations like raising my hand up), and I just simply can't do any selling stuff (marketing jobs, especially phone marketing, is the easiest job to get). I am not a salesman.

I'm having (or going to have in the near future) money issues because I won't get enough credits from school, which means I have to return some of my student allowance. This however doesn't stop me from using the money I have stupidly; I've been drinking a lot. I know I can't afford it, but I've still been drinking more or less every day for the past ~4 months.

I know this might just be another manifestation of the depressive phase of a possible bipolar disorder (total self-assessment but seems possible thinking about my history), and I've honestly pondered about trying to get some medication (more seriously than ever) before I fuck up my life too badly. It's just hard to lift my ass and do something.
Roope I sympathize with a lot of this. I've found that figuring out what I wanted to do with my life was harder than actually doing it. For some people it seems so easy, they knew exactly what they wanted from the get go. I joined the military not out of passion but because I had no drive at the time I joined I just wanted to do something, anything. Luckily I did some soul searching and realized I like puzzles and numbers and went into accounting which many would co,spider boring but it fits with who I am. And to think I spent so much time thinking I first wanted to be astronomer so I studied that. Then music and did two years of that, however this was not wasteful but simply growth.

As for the drinking I sympathize as well. After much binge drinking from the tender age of 16 it hit me around this year that it is no longer just a "fun time" with my friends every weekend but a problem when you forget the previous nights all too often or said things you didn't mean. It stops being a funny drunk story to kid around about once you've had too many of them. I took some month off of drinking about 2 months ago and felt great, also went to AA meetings which Luther had recommended to me. Its all been helpful but I'd be lying if I said the bottle of tequila still doesn't call my name from time to time, at least I know how much I listen is up to me, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. Not sure if you have to quit alcohol but it seems like you know deep down that you need to tone it down.
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Not too mention the damn health implications that come with excessive drinking really start to add up the older you get, can fuck with depression, anxiety, liver, anemia (low red blood cells and creates fatigue), libido, dementia, you name it alcohol does it. My dear grandpa drank his whole life every day for like 50 years from being a college football star to just a guy smoking and drinking in his chair. Eventually got Parkinson's disease and committed suicide, alcohol is no joke I can't fathom how it is legal while marijuana is not, it is just as bad if not worse than many of the drugs out there.
God Bless America
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Sorry to read your story roope! I cant really offer any help but you have my full elma support. In my line of business dislocated shoulders are very common, and I've many friends who have problems for life because of this. It really narrows their choices down a lot so I feel your frustration there.

I would think hard about things and try to slowly change the habits I didn't like. And if it's hard try getting help from family, friends (who would understand) or even proffessionals. But I understand it must be hard. I have many friends who went to psychiatrists and they said it was a great personal growth thing. I will probably see one after the summer myself, just to talk a little about random things that I want to learn from or change with myself.

Good luck roope! know that you can always talk with me, even if it is through a screen :)
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Became a casual lecturer at university, which can have pretty nice pay. Hours are very sparse though. Teaching postgraduate course in advanced music theory.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

What is your advanced music theory about? Interesting to see you've made quite some steps since the last time I read about your educational career. Ambitious and bright fella, aren't you? :)

I moved to a new place last week. I had been living in an old office/warehouse for the past 2 years, but it was about time that I grew up. So here I am, living together with my girlfriend in an expensive tiny apartment near the centre of Utrecht, NL. Pros: not having to do difficult logistics with the signicant other, inviting friends to drop by for a quick visit instead of a survival experience in the outskirts of an industrial area, having convenience stores really near. Cons: regular rent instead of the low 175e with energy/water included, no easy parking, neighbours that probably don't like the amount of noise I was making in the old place.

Like I said in a previous post, I have lost a lot of my old ambitions, but they've been replaced by new incentives. I want to lead a joyful life, not work to much if it's only for the money, get rid of unneccesary stuff, be in better harmony with nature, people, life in general, reach nirvana or something like that. I have a really farfetched goal in mind: to have more equality in this world we're living in. So I gave a lot of stuff away over the past few months, and my aim is to give away 10% of my income to charity. But first to get rid of my students loan. I hate that shit. It's a leftover from my old life. A necessary evil, I guess.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Seems to be not too challenging concepts really. Still in harmonisation, voice leading and counterpoint stages, figured bass and emulating basic composition styles to finish phrases of works. It's a postgraduate course, but set up to be facilitating to students who aren't strong in English. Meanwhile I'm booked up with commissions, arranging and editing jobs. I'll post more up here as they come. :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

That'd be interesting! You as a composer, do you still read about composing, or do you merely listen/get inspired by other composers? There are many many books ofcourse, I once tried my best at a huge book by William (Bill) Russo about jazz composition. Quite interesting read, but too specific to waste my time on.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Score study is king. I prefer to learn from the source rather than a second-hand and mostly biased text. Books by Schoenberg are actually really useful.

Just did my candidature presentation, and it went well. My ideas of compositional craft were received without scrutiny, so I think that it's going just fine.

Bit hard to put into words, but my composition process will be there in full in my dissertation. Only 2 years to go!
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Drinking coke, and sleeping, casual hoyling
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

So I'm just running towards the end of my last long summer holiday. In a week's time I'm starting my PhD, which will last 3-4 years. I'm going to be getting a decent stipend too, so should be oke living :)

I've also been insanely obsessed with traveling for the last few months. Haven't yet had any good opportunities, but I'm thinking about it all the time (I meant the word "obsessed" quite literally!) and I'm making plans for several trips atm. One of them is FEM next year, another is a cycling trip in Norge fjords, which should be a great opportunity to visit a few elmans too ;)

Hopefully one day I'll be able to gather enough money to travel outside of Europe; Vietnam, Argentina, Japan, etc. Jealous as fuck for Igge's gf! (Any updates btw? You seemed like a really fantastic match :) )
Last edited by pawq on 17 Sep 2016, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Congrats, from now on I will call you Dr. Pawq if that's alright with you.
God Bless America
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I have to earn it first... :)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

My thinking was if I call you Dr. Pawq now then you will start thinking of yourself as already accomplishing your PhD. I've heard that visualizing a goal as already completed makes you more likely for success but if you want me to wait I can wait.
God Bless America
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Tbh I'm super-well motivated, so i think I'll manage, I'd rather remain the good ol' pawq here ;) but ty!
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

PhD has only some 10-11 months left. :D Bit exciting, bit scary. Feels like too much work to do. I'll have to report back as it goes. Second milestone was received without criticism, some miracle.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Started a 60-day gym program with a friend, regularly running and bicycle, finishing a project that I started 2008 (yes it's 32 cup), trying to meet a new girl, eating quite healthy, spending time with family, relatives and friends, playing too little Pokémon so that my BOSS beats me, he keeps nagging me that I'm one level behind, that bastard.
I'm doing good at my job, very nice coworkers. My stocks are going down at the moment, but I made a (for me) huge investment and I need to wait 1-2 years before the money will start working themselves up, my plan is to have capital for that cash contribution when I'm getting a house loan, I want to buy a house someday outside of the city.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I work and sleep.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

still working at the uni, starting a startup company, hopefully selling it for some billion trillions and retire soon
[carebox]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I've been living 8 months in Helsinki now. Got a new job - I'm coding javascript nowadays. Very busy life but at least I got my most urgent todos done for now.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A few weeks ago my mind wandered off and started recollecting all the great memories of elma and lauta. Where would all my buddies stand these days? Probably a lot of them met the same fate as me: life just happened. I was 14 years old when I started playing that silly game, and a great part of my daily life was spent on the internet and hoÿling. Although I was never a real success at the game itself, I did have a good time back then. I'm not sad though that elma is definitely gone these days. This year I played that game for about 10 minutes in a train ride: my skills were amazing.

My life now is great, but rather busy. The past three years, I have been working as a part time stage assistant for one of the best professional orchestras and the best choir here in Holland. 2016 was the year where I went from working 4 days a week to 5+ days week, in combination with a part time study in fiscality. In December I started out with a new job in our company on the accountancy devision alongside my other job and by February I will be leaving the stage job and start working in the office exclusively. Then will also be the time to go back to working 4 days a week and having more time for my studies and hobbies: I like to play the guitar still, much of it with the Rocksmith game.

Time will also be reserved for my girlfriend. Going to concerts, watching series, living the happy couple life. We have been together for six years now (with a small pause), and living in a small home of 37m² since April 2015. For 2017, the plan is to buy a home and have more space. For working from home (I also work as a freelance bookkeeper for other freelancers), but also for our loud hobbies and other activities: on top of my guitar playing, the girlfriend plays the piano and sings with it too, and see manages to teach singing at our home two nights a week as well. As such, we are in dire need of a bigger space, not just to make future expansions of the family possible. That last thing will need to wait for a bit.

In further response to 8balle's questions: right now I was supposed to study for an exam in business administration, but I fled from my duties to mopolauta (always a bad idea...). Tomorrow will be spent studying again, and ofcourse celebrating new years' eve with my girlfriend, my parents and my sister and her family. In a year, I will have progressed a bit with my studies, I will work a lot less than the crazy days I'm now dealing with and I will be living in a bought home. In 10 years, I will have a fiscal/financial job for maximum 32 hours a week, probably have 2 to 3 kids, still play the guitar, officially have a wife, try to live a modest climate-neutral life, and still not go on ski holidays every year (I hate skiing). Elma is gone, was already gone 1 year ago and also 5 years ago. 7 years ago it started vanishing, and although I think back with nostalgia, I like the fact that I spend my time differently now.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

2. 1. 2017 Bludek in New Year's Resolution (2017) wrote:get a real fucking job...
ok, that was quick. Got a nicely paid full time job (I would even say quite nicely paid for a man without experience) in the city center. I am gonna be an analyst in law department of national post office headquarters. Will have to learn postal law (or is it called postal act?) and bunch of other stuff. They needed a young man with a master's degree (of any kind) who's willing to learn bunch of new stuff. And I am that man :) I was looking for a decent job for like half a year after finishing university, so it is kinda a big thing :)

I was also on a very nice 1st-ish date with this chick (2nd time seeing her), but I don't want to jinx myself by saying anything more about it. We'll see.

Let's just say, this year is starting EXTREMELY well for my 8)
I hope you guys are doing great as well :beer:
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I got engaged :beer: So I guess also not bad start to a new year :)

Good luck Blu! Also good to hear from you again tj :) I think I'm slowly heading in your direction of adulthood, bit by bit. I feel your pain of being tight on space - our flat is approx. 34m and we have to keep quite a bit of stuff outside (of cupboards), which I'm not a fan of. It's great anyway tho :) Good luck with the house!
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Moved to northern swedish town Piteå to study.
Rest I don't know.
ToMaT
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Hosp wrote:Moved to northern swedish town Piteå to study.
Rest I don't know.
god =) what gonna study?
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Doing highschool stuff (16-18 yo's school) :)
ToMaT
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

nuffin
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Tm
35mins club

Post by Tm »

+ 1 livingroom
+ 2 ppl

is oke
Last edited by Tm on 20 Apr 2019, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

thanks for intel maybe good time for tm -1wr >:O
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Who is the richest kuski I wonder
God Bless America
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

teajay wrote:... my aim is to give away 10% of my income to charity.
teajay wrote:... live a modest climate-neutral life
I started this in this year but only by 1 %. I took a number which everybody can afford. The point is not to do it when you have enough money but do it through your life. In my charity project (http://palsta.pulu.org/en/55-charity) I also try to educate myself about different miserable issues happening in the world which I probably wouldn't do without the project. This year I read about the climate change and found out that it's impossible to live climate-neutral life because you can't really "pay back" (or neutralize) the fossil fuels you use. By planting a tree that doesn't happen. A tree absorbs CO2 yes but it doesn't end up to the deep soil (where the oil and gas is), but stays and circulates in the ecosystem. I asked a chairman of some Finnish nature association what's the best thing to do if you don't want to kill yourself and skip children and he suggested to calculate my total CO2 usage, check a price for it from the EU's emission futures day price and pay that amount for the nature charity projects. The total price was only 60 euros and I do travel and live quite well-rounded life.

Back to the topic:

After being 10 years together we have separated with my GF. We weren't happy anymore and because no kids or other obstacles it was better to find joy and happyness somewhere else. The years were great and I'm really thankful for her.

So now I've got more time and here I am with my dearest hobbies like lauta :P. I also do running, orienteering, gym and planning to start yoga. Bought also a drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x4yPDF0Tts (I'm nab, played with this only 30 mins so far). Maybe it can be used in FEM! It's Ismo in the end of the video btw.

Drinking beer in a local pub every second week with the work mates is really good time. Doing JS (and PHP) programming as work and it's max. So flexible and relax, well paid, interesting in intelligent manner, good work mates. I really recommend anyone interested in programming even a bit to check this possibility out. Invest 100-300 hours by doing a online free course (theory + practice) and you will get a job which will teach you more and life becomes better. I know many people done this.

I try to not spend money (to travelling) the next months but do computer projects (eg. Elma article). Maybe next summer could be good time to start finding a new relationship. Living in Helsinki center is max, so many good restaurants, stores, friends, parks, everything man needs.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

oh damez, even abula broke up with his gf:/
[carebox]
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Handed in 3rd PhD milestone, so maybe some months before finished :O. Teach 2 days a week at Conservatorium (Aural Studies lecturing - Ear Training) and occasionally lecture advanced music theory at the state university too. Starting some pop music arranging channel too, have to keep you posted, but growing nicely. :D
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I've never really written anything in this topic, because it was not relevant enough. All the basic stuff was happening, me being too young, going to school, university, 1-year relationship, nothing really special, no big responsibilities and whatnot.

Now the things started to shift a little (rapidly, rather), as I am closing in to my masters degree in computer security and cryptography, looking for a job and a place to live (away from my parents).
I plan on finishing the University this winter, but I don't need to attend anymore, just finish my diploma thesis and pass final exams. This allows me to get a proper job somewhere. In my town there aren't that many opportunities for a security analyst, only some uninteresting tech-support positions which I wholeheartedly loathe. This left me with two options. One is to stay in Brno and work there, since the market there is great and I would get a well-paid job for sure. Second option was Bratislava, which has enough good opportunities too, but it's Slovakia and that sucks.
But I didn't really want to stay abroad at this time (maybe some time later), so Bratislava it is. Me and my two friends had a small start-up in Brno, but I had to let it go since I wasn't able to participate enough to actually help them and make a difference.
Also, and this was probably the biggest reason why to move to Bratislava, was that my friend who is a pastor and his family (he has 3 little kids) is moving there this summer. He wants to start a new Christian community here, and there are 10+ people already. I'd normally refuse to go and live in Bratislava, that damn dirty stupid city, but going there to be a part of this community is such a great motivation for me that I started looking for job and accomodation there. I already have a place to rent, which is great, and the location is pretty good. I've already been visiting BA once a week to get to know those people and start making more social connections there, even when it cost me a fair share of money and time.
Also I have been having some health issues, which may seem not that severe but in a long run they can make my life much worse later on, and they probably reduce my life expectancy significantly. I've been negligent to my health and lifestyle quite a lot, and now it all returns to me. I am insomniac, I'm fatiguing during the day, sometimes even unable to concentrate to work and almost always I am tired. Also I am less outgoing than before, easier to get angry, nervous, etc. Probably I have a slight depression too, which may add to this mess (it's genetic I guess).
I don't have any gf right now, and there isn't any that would seem fitting, really. There is one which is highly theoretical, because lives way too far and we don't know each other that much and I doubt she would want to move to that ugly capital of ours. But you never know, so..
At this moment I am slowly cutting strings of all the stuff I used to do in my home town, preparing myself and others for my departure. I was talking with our pastor, since I was fairly active in our church life, and discussing various stuff, making sure other people can fill the holes I would leave behind. This includes stuff that I love, like teaching piano lessons, being a rock climbing instructor, playing in a band, playing volleyball and floorball with friends, etc.

tl;dr: So basically - no gf now, finishing school, moving to Bratislava, looking for job, starting a completely new community, leaving the old community I've been part for 20 years, trying to sort my health and lifestyle out.

I don't really know why I am writing this to a bunch of people I know from the internet and that I never met (apart culinko and hehe), but it really feels good to let the thoughts out of my chest and sort things out.