Progheads

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Zweq
34mins club

Re: Latest thing you have bought

Post by Zweq »

Interhybritizer wrote: Yes I am a 70's prog person (at the ripe ol' age of 18...), any other progheads in here?

there are liek 10 pipel here that are progheads, if not the majority of active lauta users

edit: and fuck you jon for pushing me to next page
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Zweq wrote:there are liek 10 pipel here that are progheads, if not the majority of active lauta users
Ah well seems I've come to the right place then.
Zweq wrote:edit: and fuck you jon for pushing me to next page
Also nice to see that all you asshats are good friends :beer:
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

asshats
prog person
i like you
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Interhybritizer wrote:Yes I am a 70's prog person (at the ripe ol' age of 18...), any other progheads in here?
Hell yes! ;) Just going crazy with the old Yes for the last few days, but Bruford inspires me to switch to King Crimson very soon, tomorrow perhaps. Do you listen to any new prog too?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Interhybritizer wrote:The former is not by far my favorite Genesis album (which would be either The Lamb or Foxtrot), but analysing it is a central part of my exam paper (on Genesis).
I want to read this when you're done. Gabriel-era Genesis is easily in my top3 bands of all time, and I'd be really interested to see what you have to say about them. The fact that you had to listen to a trick of the tail makes me think your paper might be focused on how their music changed throughout the years, including after Gabriel left. Or maybe I'm completely wrong)

Still, I want to read it.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:Hell yes! ;) Just going crazy with the old Yes for the last few days, but Bruford inspires me to switch to King Crimson very soon, tomorrow perhaps. Do you listen to any new prog too?
A lot of Genesis, smaller amounts of Yes and King Crimson. Slowly trying to stack up on CDs, but I'm only a poor student. I really like ELP too, though I don't have any records (yet).
Not much new prog really, I listen to Tool every now and then but that's about it.
My main instrument is bass (which is the one my exam concert will be played on), and honestly, listening to Yes makes me wanna pull my hair out. Too extreme.
Igge wrote:I want to read this when you're done. Gabriel-era Genesis is easily in my top3 bands of all time, and I'd be really interested to see what you have to say about them. The fact that you had to listen to a trick of the tail makes me think your paper might be focused on how their music changed throughout the years, including after Gabriel left. Or maybe I'm completely wrong)

Still, I want to read it.
You're almost spot on. The paper is in fact about the very moment that Gabriel left, and whether or not dividing Genesis into Gabriel and Collins eras are really justifiable. My focus is on Cryme, Lamb, Trick and W&W, and trying to find any sign of a signifficant change in the music itself.

I will post it here if you want, but it will be in Norwegian. Though being Swedish I assume you'll be able to read it just fine. I at least have no problem reading Swedish.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

The difference is that Genesis with Gabriel is fantastic, and Genesis without Gabriel (after A Trick of the Tail, I guess they had some momentum :D) is crap :( Duke and Abacab sound cool at parts, but it's just not the same band, it's so much more popish :/ And Gabriel remained the good old himself, even until now =)
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:The difference is that Genesis with Gabriel is fantastic, and Genesis without Gabriel (after A Trick of the Tail, I guess they had some momentum :D) is crap :( Duke and Abacab sound cool at parts, but it's just not the same band, it's so much more popish :/ And Gabriel remained the good old himself, even until now =)
And that excact statement is what my entire paper is about =D I'm going to thoroughly analyse the music to find specific differences in the music, both earlier and later, and find out WHY so many people feel this way so strongly. You cannot say that From Genesis To Revelation is not a poppy album, and that is indeed within the Gabriel era. And there are plenty of other pop songs hidden between the prog.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I'd be glad to read your ready paper, I hope google translate will be of some help :D
There's one (opinion dependent) factor that's irrefutable: voice. Gabriel's voice may be my favourite after Daniel Gildenlow's, while I really hate Collins'.
Besides, who likes a core of the band departing?
Lukazz
36mins club

Re: Progheads

Post by Lukazz »

proghead reporting in, and loving early yes as everbody else!
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

if you like ELP you should like Gentle Giant as well, don't miss Acquiring The Taste.

More on rock/hard rock side : bloodrock, rare bird (epic forest), juicy lucy, fleetwood mac, T2, the pretty things, budgie, leaf hound, lucifer friends, atomic rooster, ...
and all bands who are famous and deserve to : deep purple, the beatles, the rolling stones, genesis, creedence, zz top, etc
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

totem wrote:if you like ELP you should like Gentle Giant as well, don't miss Acquiring The Taste.
I love ELP but not Gentle Giant :(

Apart from those mentioned here I'm also crazy about The Moody Blues, I love U.K., I really like (love?) Procol Harum and Wishbone Ash, and then there's a couple of polish 70s prog bands which you probably haven't heard of: SBB (lead by Jozef Skrzek) and Exodus.

Wait a second, didn't anybody mention PINK FLOYD?!

Then goes the new prog, with Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson/Blackfield/Storm Corrosion, Opeth, Dream Theater, Amplifier, Riverside, The Pineapple Thief... Just to list a few favourites :p
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

retarded mods
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

The Moody Blues is quite good, not very familiar with them though. What I find funny is that my religion teacher is super into Moody Blues. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but I usually don't thin of them as progs. Camel too is very interesting, but again I'm not too familiar with them.

Gabriel and Collins have very similar voices. In fact, many people are confused as to which song Collins had the vocals on within the Gabriel era. And Pawq, I would disagree with Gabriel being the core of the band. Yes he is important, but no more than the others. They shared the songwriting pretty evenly, so they are all part of the core.

There is however one "era" I shall maybe mention very briefly, which some call the Ray Wilson era. I'm sorry but not even Congo (which some people amazingly like) can hold up to anything they've done before...

I'm really amazed at how many progheads I suddenly stumbled upon in one spot. I'm in damn music school and there are like two others, none of which are even in my year...
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Do you know Days of Future Passed? I suppose you do, but maybe you should give it some more tries - it's the most emotional album I know, I adore it :)

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan too (I'll post a pic of my new PF wall soon), and I know that they are hardly associated with the word "prog". But then when you think about how many more things they brought into rock, and how many bands draw from their music 40 years later... Essence of prog =)

I'm yet to familiarise myself with Camel too, gotta do that finally.

Are you a big fan of King Crimson as well?
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:I'm yet to familiarise myself with Camel too, gotta do that finally.
Camel albums that are worth it: Camel, Mirage, Snow goose, Rajaz, Nod & wink.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I'll go through the whole discography of course, but I'll keep that in mind, thanks =)
Interhybritizer (any simpler/shorter name to call you?), do you have last.fm and/or skype?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:Do you know Days of Future Passed? I suppose you do, but maybe you should give it some more tries - it's the most emotional album I know, I adore it :)
I have not, but I know there's a lot of good music that lies ahead. And I have have my whole life to explore it =D
Pawq wrote:Are you a big fan of King Crimson as well?
I quite like them yes, but I'm not too familiar with all their work. My dad has a lot of LPs of them which he used to play when I was a tiny kid, so I've heard a lot of it. But I haven't ever really listened, until now that is.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:Interhybritizer (any simpler/shorter name to call you?), do you have last.fm and/or skype?
I have Skype, but I'm never on there unless there's an appointment or something. I'm on Xfire though because that's where all my Rome Total War buddies are. I think my name is sithrecoil or something (Sith is my clan and my old name was Recoil...) You can call me Inter (or Ruben if you like).

I would like to know what Elma folks use though, as it's obviously not Xfire.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Most of the guys use irc from what I know, but I don't :D I often chat on EOL though, do you have it? Elma Online
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

I'll get IRC then when I cba. EOL too, but I suck at Elma harcore, so I don't think I'll start battleing just yet.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Interhybritizer wrote:I'll get IRC then when I cba. EOL too, but I suck at Elma harcore, so I don't think I'll start battleing just yet.
No need to battle. You can just hang out online, and whenever you feel like chatting just do so. You can even hide yourself online so that others can't see you playing etc, so no worries there.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Actually no, don't listen to Igge. Sucking in battles is nothing to be ashamed off (unless you're bjenn or ramone), and it is the best and fastest possible way to improve your skills =)
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Pawq wrote:and it is the best and fastest possible way to improve your skills =)
definitely that. usually nabs develope quite decent skills after a few months when they battle a lot.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

joey
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

PF wall:

Ticket/setlist korner:
Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

i thought you diddn't like talking heads :P
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

It's a club in Southampton, some nice gigs there :) e.g. Katatonia, that's where I have the flyer from
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Talking Heads is awesome, and that is a non-negotiable fact.

WHAAAAAAA PSYCHO KILLER!!! FAFAFAFAAAA FAFAFAFA FAA FAAAAAAA!
<nick-o-matic> niec

Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

here's my stand on prog:

yes = best band forever imo, pretty much the only prog i regulary listen to

though from time to time, might put a little bit of pink floyd, king crimson, camel, rush and elp lake & palmer on. good bands
i'm only just starting to listen to focus, genesis and starcastle due to reccomendations from mans (and lastfm). focus is nice to listen to while doing homework due to them being instrumental. no conflict between lyrics and what i want to write :P & with genesis it seems most of their songs aren't that interesting to me yet the remainder are fuckin tuuneeeessss (like watcher of the skies). starcastle are just basically an american yes ripoff, i like what i've heard so far.
Last edited by Pingywings on 18 Jan 2013, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Pingywings wrote:watcher of the skies
THIS! The whole Foxtrot is amazing, definitely my favourite :))
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pingywings wrote:lastfm
Added you. Accept or perish.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

accepted, pawq still hant accepted my friend request from like 2 weeks ago or something
sadness
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:The whole Foxtrot is amazing, definitely my favourite :))
Probably mine too, along with The Lamb. Supper's Ready is one epic beast of a song.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Interhybritizer wrote:Supper's Ready is one epic beast of a song.
Hah, wanted to mention it but didn't bother, totally agreed!

Pingy sorry, I never go to the main page! Today some massive update of the scrobbler arrived and it opened the main page, that's when I've seen the invitations :p
By the way, guys, if anyone at least remotely interested in modern prog still hasn't checked out new wilson's album... It's just astonishing o,o
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:By the way, guys, if anyone at least remotely interested in modern prog still hasn't checked out new wilson's album... It's just astonishing o,o
This may be pedantic, but what do you mans think: modern prog isn't doing the same job as prog originally did: expanding the definition rock. Prog is now either simply complex time signatures, mimics of original prog or something that isn't generally called prog anyway. Rock has expanded into so many more subgenres than there were 3-5 decades ago that "prog" isn't really progressive anymore. Nothing bad about that imo since it's just a term, just an observation.

Downloading that album now.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Lousku wrote:This may be pedantic, but what do you mans think: modern prog isn't doing the same job as prog originally did: expanding the definition rock. Prog is now either simply complex time signatures, mimics of original prog or something that isn't generally called prog anyway. Rock has expanded into so many more subgenres than there were 3-5 decades ago that "prog" isn't really progressive anymore. Nothing bad about that imo since it's just a term, just an observation.
I gotta agree with this. Though it might also be the way technology has evolved since then. Most music nowadays (except punk) is really "slick" if you get my drift. All the sounds are clean and digitally tightened (no matter how distorted) and often it sounds like machines playing. Especially in prog metal (if you can call it that).

Go back to your Hammonds and Mellotrons and Hohners and ARPs. They produce a fantasticly shabby analog sound that any Nord keyboard can only replicate WITHOUT the shabbyness, which very often is the charm of prog (IMHO).
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Of course I agree. It's sad, but true. I think it doesn't even necessarily mean that today's artists are less talented. Back then, 67-7low, rock was only just being born, and there was so much more to discover, so much more to add and change. Thanks to the likes of Robert Fripp, Pink Floyd guys, Peter Gabriel etc, most of it had been added/changed then, so there's not much more left. At least that's how I reason. I don't even want to mention "progmetal" and bands like Evergrey or Symphony X, that's just a disgrace for the term.
However, I think there still are some bands/people who bring something new into music, or at least try to do so, and I'm very happy about that. They have a tough job, but they carry on. I honestly think that Wilson is at the top of that bunch. Especially his solo (aka Steven Wilson) albums are in many ways very original. That's partially why I admire him so much. The other part - how amazingly engaging his music is, regardless of the originality! :D
Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

Pawq wrote:By the way, guys, if anyone at least remotely interested in modern prog still hasn't checked out new wilson's album... It's just astonishing o,o
i've still not listened yet :P , i'll try listen today

& most prog i've listened to nowadays just seems to be 10 minutes of random drone noise or some wateballs shit. i like what i hear of porcupine tree though.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Pingywings wrote:most prog i've listened to nowadays just seems to be 10 minutes of random drone noise
what? :o

Just started listening to Riverside's brand new album, the first track is great! :) They definitely fit within the prog label ;)
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:
Pingywings wrote:most prog i've listened to nowadays just seems to be 10 minutes of random drone noise
what? :o
Yeah, huh? Sounds like a first impression of some post rock bands. :D
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Yes Announce 2014 UK Tour

The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One in their entireties!!! :OOO
Pingy? Xarthok? We could pick some show in the UK :p Other guys could join in!!! Flights from Norway to London are cheap as hell :D

Close to the Edge and Going for the One are my favourites along Fragile, Keystudio and Magnification, so I'm excited as hell :D I hope Royal Albert Hall won't cost 100000000000 coins :((
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

oh cool, i hope they'll visit the rest of europe too. i saw them once already and it was fucking awesome. :mrgreen:
enjoy!
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:Yes Announce 2014 UK Tour

The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One in their entireties!!! :OOO
Pingy? Xarthok? We could pick some show in the UK :p Other guys could join in!!! Flights from Norway to London are cheap as hell :D

Close to the Edge and Going for the One are my favourites along Fragile, Keystudio and Magnification, so I'm excited as hell :D I hope Royal Albert Hall won't cost 100000000000 coins :((
Dude, just shout really loudly about when and where, I'd love to see this show! I'm in a boarding school by then though, it might be difficult, but I'll try.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

https://www.theticketfactory.com/bookin ... Select.asp 45 quid, pretty good for an old band i suppose, my friend who literally has no idea about pink floyd apart from "we dont need no education" ended up seeing them with his dad for like 200 quid a ticket. drives me crazy :@

anyway, the yes thing sounds good, but i'm not very sure if i'd be able to go, "hey dad, you know yes, that band you hate? can you buy me tickets to go see their show in london and the money for transport? also, i'm meeting people i met of the internet who you had no idea existed until about 5 seconds ago" :D it's yes lite anyway and they're getting pretty old, so i don't suppose i'd be missing much. i'll see. it's in about a year so who knows what will happen

also: it turns out it actually was post rock i was talking about a few months ago
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Pingy: I'm also thinking about Oxford. I have a bunch of friends there, and it's probably going to be cheaper, and a little closer to you. We could try somewhere in central england :)

Luki: "The band will then perform shows throughout France, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands, from May 13-22."

Interhybritizer: I'll shout very loudly!! A long way to go, we'll see, but it would be max to have a nice bunch of elmans attend a gig in some cool place. Imagine a photo of 5 elmans under the stage of Royal Albert Hall, for example :D I can't wait!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I've just listened to Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element, and I've convinced myself of two things:

1. Pain of salvation indeed is the best band in history,
2. Falling + The Perfect Element indeed is the best piece in history.

Both are naturally only my impressions, but I'm very curious what band could ever change them. It will have to be a great band, for now I can only see Pink Floyd as a potential candidate...

edit:
Now listened to BE, and here is the third and final conclusion:

3. BE indeed is the best album in history.

:)
Last edited by pawq on 30 Jun 2013, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Dude, Genesis is the best!

I actually didn't realise just how big Genesis got in the 80's untill I wrote my exam paper thingy. They were quite possibly the biggest band in the world at one time. One of their records (can't remember which one though) sold 4x Platinum, and they sold out the biggest stadiums several times over, which is quite substantial. This is of course the pop era without Peter, but still =P

When I mean Genesis is the best, I mean this type of Genesis. I would, of course, link to Supper's Ready, but I can hardly expect someone who's never heard it before to sith through 23 minutes of utter masterpiece. Actually yes I should expect that... But now you got two different ones =D

I actually had quite some difficulty choosing the right song to bring forth here, I ended up listening through half of Genesis' prog catalouge. I guess they're just SO awesome that one song cannot possibly define them as a band.

I gotta say Pink Floyd is right up there with Genesis though. Come to think of it, the first idea I had for my exam paper was to compare the whole of The Wall and the whole of The Lamb Lies Down On Breadway. The appeal was that they are both double concept albums featuring a single narrator all the way through, albeit not without a few severe derailments along the way. They were also released only five years apart (The Lamb in 1974, and The Wall in 1979), and are possibly the two best albums in existance. However, my advisor told me that task would be absolutely monumental. I'm glad he did, otherwise I'd still be at it...

Bottom line: Music is awesome!

And as a final to this post which now begins to approach an essay, I leave you with a true gem, one of my many all time favorite songs.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Genesis is one of those bands which I love, but am still to appreciate the full awesomeness of. The Return of the Giant Hogweed is one of the pieces of my childhood, it's been played at home all the time :p I guess I will try to get down to Genesis soon, but first I need to complete my union with Yes. I've already come to love some of their albums, but I know there's more into it... Also 80's King Crimson waiting to be discovered (& appreciated?). Pink Floyd, arguably, I appreciate fully. Though The Wall is far from the top in my personal ranking, I'm much more keen on the '71-'77 era :) Also Camel in the queue! Didn't even start checking out, and jon&Lousku recommended so many times :0

Such a good tropic! Good to read from time to time, thanks for the contributions Inter :)
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

BTW, if someone wants to read my exam paper (I remember someone showing interest) I can send it to you. It'll be in Norwegian. Although I thought it was terrible, apparantly my censor thought it deserved an A-, god knows why...

And here's the playlist for my exam concert (me on the bass), on which I got a B:
Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Spain - Chick Corea
A Trick Of The Tail - Genesis
<nick-o-matic> niec