Tricky Truck - a fun alternative for Elma\EOL?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

wjelo
Kuski

Tricky Truck - a fun alternative for Elma\EOL?

Post by wjelo »

Yesterday I've stumbled upon a game that reminds me ElastoMania in so many ways - silly yet fun gameplay rules, bad graphics, fun physics, hoyling for the best time, level editor, addictiveness.

It is more or less a Trackmania clone with some gameplay changes, but I think it is way much more enjoyable.

The bad news for some is you gotta pay 9.5$ to use any vehicles other than the basic 18-wheeler.

Some 5 second tracks are hoyled 2tm - would be tiresome to get into the top30 or so, some more luck based and crazy styles are possible to complete within an hour of trying, I drove a 7th time in the world with this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fBPlCJiZg

Anyways, if some of you wanna try it, here's the link: http://www.gravitysensation.com/trickytruck/

As you might have noticed, my nick in TT(as in real life) is Spidizor. Hope to see some of you there.
A beer a day keeps the doct0r away.
last.fm profile
Undiente
Kuski

Re: Tricky Truck - a fun alternative for Elma\EOL?

Post by Undiente »

That game can't be an alternative. Yes, you can have fun with it. For a while. But it won't last as long as with elma.

I'm not going to begin a deep game design discussion (I don't want to derail the thread), but that game has a totally different learning curve. That's exactly what makes elma what it is:

1st) That game's mechanics are too difficult to learn. Elma basic mechanics are learnt in 10 seconds, and the pro mechanics are learnt in like 2 minutes.

2nd) While, on the other side of the same coin, elma's (easy to learn) mechanics CAN'T BE MASTERED (there's no point in arguing that if you even know what an internal level is and that being a "pro" in elma is usually correlated to chance of success) and most likely never will. That game's, on the other hand, can be mastered.

3rd) This is an addendum to the second point: I didn't try the game, but I'm sure it has any kind of randomness factor added to the difficulty, to make the "mechanics mastering" process feel harder and longer - while it is not. Elma has 0 random factor.
1999: Discovered accross.
2002: Joined scene.
2003-2010: Made hundreds of quality levels.
2011: Discovered real life.