The Aurora Borealis

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

bob
Kuski

The Aurora Borealis

Post by bob »

Been a long time between posts, but I figured here would be a good place to ask, as there are many Scandinavians here.

I plan on travelling around Europe for 2 months or so, and I plan on going to either Norway, Iceland or Sweden to possibly see the amazing Aurora Borealis at the end of my trip.

As I am not a massive fan of freezing conditions and wish to be travelling around Europe while it is warm.

I initially wanted to start my trip at the start of July till the end of August, but the little bit of research I have done tells me this is a terrible time for Aurora viewings - instead saying that September to March are the best times (Norway).

Of course a few things depend on it, but could anyone tell me what my chances could be seeing it if I were to be in Northern Norway or Iceland if I were to be there between Sept 1 - 7?

I have many questions, I'm sure I'll have more as I go.

How cold can I expect it to be?

Any recommendations for tours and locations?

Recommendations of things to see while I visit?

I plan on going to Trolltunga. Anyone been?

Thanks for any help in advance.

(Travelling alone)
mcleod
Zweq
34mins club

Re: The Aurora Borealis

Post by Zweq »

i think golf stream goes by bergen so it's the rainiest town / area in the europe, you might not have a clear sky for weeks. i would guess february - march is the best shot, just based on my experiences from western finland. and the more north you go, the better it gets, if you really want norway then tromsø might be a good choice
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Re: The Aurora Borealis

Post by Hosp »

Norway is better in every way except if you have a problem with spending quite a lot more money on food and shelter.

Reasons to pick Norway:

Nice big mountains everywhere, cooler nature
More polite people (judging by having been there a few times)

Reasons to pick Sweden:

Cheaper
ToMaT