Mind Uploading

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

Mind Uploading

Post by gimp »

"Itskov and other so-called "transhumanists" interpret this impending singularity as digital immortality. Specifically, they believe that in a few decades, humans will be able to upload their minds to a computer, transcending the need for a biological body."

http://www.livescience.com/37499-immort ... rence.html

This scares the shit out of me!

Discuss.
God Bless America
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Re: Mind Uploading

Post by Mawane »

i dont think this planet will last long enough to see this happening
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Orka do any reserach, but I doubt it'll happen in any foreseeable future... Same as true AI.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Ye, very interesting concepts, but 2045 sounds hopeful. Though I didn't know neural engineering is that far already. Good artdickel. o,o
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

But if you upload yourself to a computer it won't be you there imo, you will still be left in your body and stuff. It's like in that Schwarzenegger movie where the dying villain clones himself and that clone doesn't even care about him. So not sure if I would want to do that. It would be kinda shitty to live knowing that there is an entity exactly like me, only it is allowed to live for eternity while I'll die sooner or later. I would be jealous.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Mawane wrote:i dont think this planet will last long enough to see this happening
I would agree with Mawane

Anyway, you can read "Permutation City" (Greg Egan) which is on this subject.
Also, Vernor Vinge has written very good books related to the concept of Singularity ("Rainbows End" and "A Fire Upon The Deep" for what I remember)
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

While Kurzweil is sometimes right, he is also full of bs.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Well, i will definitely revisit this topic in 30 years. Unless of course the robots have already taken over!
God Bless America
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Obviously you would GRADUALLY upload your mind using future technology - replacing biological neurons with digital ones which will make the transition seamless because it wouldn't clone your consciousness but move it - "you" would eventually require none of your previous brain or body to be conscious. It's not too far-fetched of a concept.
39:37,91
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Yes but your conciousness would turn into a bunch of 1s and 0s. The robot would have the same brain functioning and reasoning as you, only it could make choices and reason much quicker, like a super being. Would it really be 'conscience'? Also I dont think they are moving it, they would be cloning it. They would be studying your brain neurons and then replicating it, I think word upload is a bit misleading.

But we could finally explore space.
God Bless America
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

gimp wrote:Yes but your conciousness would turn into a bunch of 1s and 0s
Not really, this is why they evoke quantum computers (which would handle the 0.x states)
gimp wrote:But we could finally explore space.
I did not think of this, it's really exciting. Well the journey would'nt be exciting, but in the end... the first contact !
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

gimp wrote:Yes but your conciousness would turn into a bunch of 1s and 0s. The robot would have the same brain functioning and reasoning as you, only it could make choices and reason much quicker, like a super being. Would it really be 'conscience'? Also I dont think they are moving it, they would be cloning it. They would be studying your brain neurons and then replicating it, I think word upload is a bit misleading.

But we could finally explore space.
Yes, it could be replicating existing neurons and then using the immortal synthetic ones to take the place of the old ones one by one until they are all replaced and you wouldn't even feel there was a change. Other organs could be made immortal in a similar fashion, I suppose. One could then go on living in the physical world with their immortal body or plug into the limitless digital realm where they can be all that and more, able to experience whatever they want. Maybe.
39:37,91
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

imo it's too impsy ever. remember that some of the data is also stored in our hands, legs, etc. and it's proved
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting