How fast can you read?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

How fast can you read?

Post by Mawane »

Found a cool website that might help reading faster, let's use it for fun:
http://www.spritzinc.com/

How fast can you read:
1. In English?
2. In your native language?
3. In other languages? specify

1. Between 350 and 400 I guess, I understand the overall but miss a few words at 400
2. French: same, maybe the lenght of french words are making it harder, but the comprehension of native language makes it easier, so same
3. Only know these two languages
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Tigro
Kuski

Re: How fast can you read?

Post by Tigro »

well, with Spritz, reading is much much faster (could make 700wpm easily), but normal books, hm... I went through a book which was called something like "how to read faster and better" (in czech) and helped me to rise around 50% speed. I guess i am somewhere between 400-450 wpm. I learned to put max 3 locks on one line, which helpes your reading alot, the dream goal is one line with 1 lock.

I read Slovak in around 400-500
Czech goes a bit slower, something like 300-400, didn't measure
English is pretty fine, somewhere between 250-300 i guess.
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

http://habrahabr.ru/post/220775/
Again use google translate to read this page - VERY good extension for such technique
Image Image
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I was a fast reader already when I was young, but I don't know my WPM rate. I just think it's different whether you're able to read fast or are able to comprehend what you read. If you use a program to increase your reading speed you will easily miss out some of the content, because you don't have time to think what you've read.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I enjoy reading slowly and process all information into brain database. In school I never spent time studying much, usually listening to teachers, and read throu once if it was bad teachers. Good technique is to think about what you read or hear, create associations and metaphors. I always make my own little visual fantasy story to avoid forgetting stuff. Then a months or years later it's still there. So reading fast seems hard to actually make it last in memory, but ofc everyone can read with eyes and wait for brain to pick up the pieces.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I can't read.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Mats wrote:I enjoy reading slowly and process all information into brain database. In school I never spent time studying much, usually listening to teachers, and read throu once if it was bad teachers. Good technique is to think about what you read or hear, create associations and metaphors. I always make my own little visual fantasy story to avoid forgetting stuff. Then a months or years later it's still there. So reading fast seems hard to actually make it last in memory, but ofc everyone can read with eyes and wait for brain to pick up the pieces.
totally agreeing with this.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Mats wrote:I enjoy reading slowly and process all information into brain database. In school I never spent time studying much, usually listening to teachers, and read throu once if it was bad teachers. Good technique is to think about what you read or hear, create associations and metaphors. I always make my own little visual fantasy story to avoid forgetting stuff. Then a months or years later it's still there. So reading fast seems hard to actually make it last in memory, but ofc everyone can read with eyes and wait for brain to pick up the pieces.
mats, its kinda like creating your mind palace. if you know how to, your memory capacity grows immensely.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I couldn't get everything at 450 wpm in french because of the big amount of spelling mistakes, especially in verbs. It fucked up my brain to see a past participle while expecting an infinitive form, or to see the verb written like a 3rd person sing. instead of 1st person plural. I guess I could have understood all of it if it wasn't for those mistakes making me miss 3 words and the point of the sentence.

Tried again in english, and 500 seems to be an upper limit. I could understand but it felt uncomfortable.
:mrhat: