What would it mean to you if other countries left the EU?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

A.K.B.
37mins club

What would it mean to you if other countries left the EU?

Post by A.K.B. »

I have been watching some British politics lately (dunno why, maybe too many late nights) and most of them want out of the EU, much like at one point most of Sweden, France, Italy etc. wanted out (some holding referendums). Would it cause a big stir for your country if others left the EU?

I will watch from the mighty Commonwealth, but unfortunately cannot give great opinion as I am this: On the other side of the world with kangaroos and meat pies. Mate.

Additional question: Do you think your country is majority wanting in or out of EU?
Additional additional question: Do you maybe you would come visit my in AUS sometime? So lonely down here without much kuski (except some haruhi, and over water leek)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
totem
39mins club

Re: What would it mean to you if other countries left the EU

Post by totem »

I'm pretty sure France never talked of leaving EU, dunno where you heard this.
EU has too many advantages to leave it. Only idiots nationalists want to be alone against the world
badyl
37mins club

Post by badyl »

I want my country out of EU as soon as possible.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Our current president is total dickhead.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

fuck all
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

It would be a big stir yes, especially if some big country like uk leaves. If only some country actually had the nerve to do it, maybe others would follow suit and EU would eventually crumble.
totem wrote:EU has too many advantages to leave it. Only idiots nationalists want to be alone against the world
EU is basically nationalism aswell, just a bigger "nation" leaving out all other nations in the world.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

totem wrote:EU has too many advantages to leave it. Only idiots nationalists want to be alone against the world
I agree completely.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I disagree... The thing is that the EU is effectively gaining control over all sorts of industries within all its member countries, and that's for its own advantage - not for the countries in consideration. There were plenty of instances of shipyards, fishing sites etc. being closed down or going bankrupt because of the limitations imposed by the EU. That's simply because the few main EU countries like Germany and France have more say than the others.

Yes for free trade, free travel and stuff like that, but no for economic unity and legal control.

Also, despite the fact that I'm an immigrant myself, I'm not entirely sure if free flow of migrants within the EU is a good thing. Not after seeing England literally flooded (often littered) with immigrants.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Kopaka wrote:EU is basically nationalism aswell, just a bigger "nation" leaving out all other nations in the world.
It's a very vague affirmation you make here, looks like a troll to me. If not, then you are talking of something we'll see in a century or more

Pawq, you're right. but it's not EU fault, it's the liberalist turn it takes
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Of course it's not the idea's fault. But an idea is always implemented by people, and in EU some people will always have bigger power than others, which will always lead to abuse and discrimination :/ It's a different thing with UN for example, which cares about global security and equality. EU, however, is influencing the entire socioeconomic systems in the member bodies :(
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

if you're not happy, vote.

And if you find out that a majority of people do not vote like you, then "welcome in democracy", it's the rule
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Nothing.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

totem wrote:I'm pretty sure France never talked of leaving EU, dunno where you heard this.
EU has too many advantages to leave it. Only idiots nationalists want to be alone against the world
Yes, seems it was incorrect. They only voted no against ratifying the constitution of the EU. But Front National (say that in Australian accent) is #1 now. Seems like considerable result for them. Perhaps not. From outside EU it seems strange to not be able to elect or remove leaders, even dangerous. And the level of lawmaking, esp. in regards to UK leaves the national government somewhat impotent.

I am sitting here on koala bear chair drinking beer and having a sausage sizzle, laffing at all happenings. Seems a bit weird to have this EU thing, but it all seems like good fun.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

I'm not good enough in english to argue and explain the profound political reasons to this.
What I can tell is :
- This is mainly a franco-french matter, which leaks onto european scene. People are fed up with the 2 main political parties (UMP & PS) and they use this ballot to object.
- As a corollary, they think leaders should know how to rule a country before saying they can rule a continent. Chosing a nationalist scarecrow is a good mean to be understood.
- As said Pawq, people see EU as too much intrusive (which I agree with) and it doesn't help. EU should be doing something way more important than edicting rules against cheese
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Seems to be the same deal with UKIP in Britain. Most people will not vote for them in their own country, but they are fed up with both major parties dodging a referendum, as most people in Britain want out of the EU. I assume similar with National Front.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

EU should get cancelled for even talking about making snus illegal.
EU is good in some aspects but mostly it just sucks.
ToMaT
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

It's always like that. Previously left wing parties been winning, now far right, but the truth is that they all suck. People will realize that the politicians they just elected suck too. All politicians suck.

Regarding EU. I don't think any of Europeans countries will abandon all cooperation, maybe they all will all be like Switzerland or Norway, while not in EU they still benefit from no boarders and access to single European market etc etc. It's inevitable that world changes over the time. What was good 10 years ago is not necessary good now. EU as we know was created some time ago and perhaps it's time to change it or maybe abandon it. Who knows? One thing I know is that something must change. The elections shows that people are unhappy.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Chris wrote:The elections shows that people are unhappy.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said to my housemates when they told me UKIP won in the UK... "It just shows how pissed off the English people are" :/
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

You cannot barrage the Farage.