Quitting Smoking

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Ruben
Kuski

Re: Quitting Smoking

Post by Ruben »

This thread is amazing, it's like a therapy meeting or something.

I smoked some for maybe a year, this would be about 5 years ago (yes that makes me 15 at the time). I was stupid and wanted to be one of the "cool" kids. At first I only pretended to like it so I could join the social scene, then way too quickly it became real. Didn't smoke much though, luckily, if I did it would have been hard on me because I'm extremely prone to addition.

At the end of term I was broke. School was over, and after summer I would go to a different school (videregående). I never once smoked that summer, I don't even remember it as too hard. Though my neigbour said I was constantly angry for a couple of weeks. I used to party smoke for years afterwards, but I stopped doing that too last year when I just didn't get any enjoyment from it.

Every now and again I will have a snus, just a few per year. It feels really good, but since I do it so rarely I have no chance of addiction. Kind of the same way with weed too.

Kudos to Gimp and everybody else who quit. If I'd gone all the way to a pack a day (or more) I don't think I could ever have quit.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Over 6 months now. Made it through my summer holidays and FEM so I guess this is it. No more cigarettes for me, ever!
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Congrats vj!! :beer: Well done, hapy for u)
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Grats, vj, that's great news! :D
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Ville_J wrote:Over 6 months now. Made it through my summer holidays and FEM so I guess this is it. No more cigarettes for me, ever!
Sach good feeling when you know you don't need that shit anymore, ain't it? :beer:
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Thanks you all! And yeah I feel very good that I decided to quit even though I didn't really care back then. But now I can't think of a reason why would I start smoking again so it was definitely the right decision.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

quit smoking mid 2014 by abusing snus, then quit snus by starting to vape early 2015, been vaping since and I love it :D
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Imo only idiots smoke.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Imo they're more weak than stupid.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Imo its like saying, dont play video games. You know its more healthy to stop, but still you enjoy it. There's a word for it; addiction. But video games is easier to quit, cause it doesn't affect you same way as a substance. A big issue is that it's possible to live with it for a lifetime, compared to stronger stuff. So you think, hmm it's bad, expensive, but still satisfying.

Biggest issue for me is that I'm much more aggressive without nicotine, but since I started using it I've been calm in most situations. Actually started using it when I was driving only. Most people are aggressive when driving for no reason. Now I don't mind people pushing ahead of me, or helping other cars get out on the road. You feel chilled out in a otherwise stressed situation. After a while it got into more daily stressed situations, and quickly turned into a habit. After that its a nightmare to quit. My brother quit for 6 months, but then started again because he was getting more and more aggressive and started yelling at people for the littlest thing.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Well its been over a year since i quit smoking. I have lost the app which told me the stats of my overall health benefits. I quit some Septemeber 22nd of 2014 so you can do the math. During my addiction the math and statistics was important to me, it gave me purpose for my quit. I feel now i can tell you the health benefits are secondary.

If you think long term about life then you might understand. But really you might love smoking. And i cant help you. Personally you and i will probably never meet, but i can say with quite good confidence your life will improve in the long run if you quit smoking. Its quite simple, short run you can smoke and have good enjoyment = fun while your drunk, stressed, driving long distnace, etc.

but your quality of life is not dependent on this after maybe month to three months after you quit.
driving long distance, social life, drunkness = same enjoyment without the cig in your mouth :)

for anybody smoking everyday this is probably hard to believe that after three months max you can basically functions the same way but also lose the shitty long term health crap you will get.

Bottom line: its a matter of will power to quit, and you may be weak and unable to do it. Thats okay you will just most likely die earlier, but perhaps smoking was worth the earlier death in your mind. Quit and most likely live longer, also less pain statistically overall and be able to exercise more, etc.

I dont discriminate against smokers or snus because i get it. I know why you do it. I just also know you are probably wrong in the big scheme of things and that you also dont fully realize that yet. I truly believe if quit your life will be shitty in the very short term but your overall long term life will improve dramatically over the long term.
Basically quitting = shitty short term life, or not? (3 months shitty life)
Quitting = better long term life (life after 3 months of shitty life, like 60 years or so....)
Quitting = better decision. however the addiction makes you too dumb to realize it.

Is short term better than long term? Negative.

Long term life decisions > short term life decisions

The choice is actually more simple than you can make it. Your cognitive dissonance will deny this logic if you are addicted. But eventually you will understand once the addiction outweighs the benefits. Every smoker considers not smoking, they all know its bad for them, do the benefits outweigh the risks? only the smoker or snus user can decide.

I discriminate against none, i just know what works best for me. That being not smoking, i was miserable for 3 months, but Ive been good since then.

Conclusion: I am sympathetic to users of every addiction that is bad for you, bad food, bad smoking, bad life habits, i mean the list is endless. Smoking and tobacco is more obvious. So hopefully the smokers or snus user see this and get it. Of course i consume things that are bad for me, but i reason that they are not as addictive as tobacco and thus less harmful. Hopefully you can do the same, and quit that shit.

If you quit, my advice is to have a lot of high fructose type things. Orange juice or desserts are good too. Your taste buds will increase dramatically for the seasoned tobacco user. Good luck if you decide to quit :)

The logic that helped me at my worse:

Long term life decisions > short term life decisons
God Bless America
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

My addictions are, snus, sugar, cookies, candy, premade food, sleeping long in the mornings, procrastinating all tasks, drinking soda, computer. Don't even bother go to store if hungry and out of food, and starve myself instead. I have the bestest lifestyle imo :P
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well ye there's always some short term shit, at the end if you remove all short term stuff it's prety much the same as turning into a monk and go live in a monastery.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Yeah being a monk might be the way to go but then you can never have sex right?
God Bless America
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

im an e-cigarette smoker (regularly since 1 year, ocassionally for 2 years) its bit different than normal cigs, but fits the topic

e-cig is just freaking tasty, you can switch between dozens of different liquids, the choice is just huge

i dont think i am addicted physically - whenever im unable to smoke for almost whole day, i dont suffer at all, its just that i cant imagine playing a game without it, drinking without it, having a break between classes without it, and many other activities without teh. i guess its still easy to quit it since im not strongly addicted for a really long time, its still only a year

when the original cigarettes became popular, noone has been speaking about it's influence on health, but after years everyone knows how big harm it does. i bet its gonna b the same about e-cigs. at the moment there are no official proofs about the harmness of e-cig, but in 5-10-20 years there will be.

i have some abitious sport goals to do, but i smoke. whenever i come back from running/biking/swimming the first thing i do is smoke. how stupid is that?

last week i had my first attempt to quit, it went quite ok, ive been smoking A LOT less, but still no day without it. today i smoked almost as much as i did previously. through the week i experience some not-too-strong lungs pain, they were hungry propably :E

i think its kinda harder to quit e-cig because you can use it pretty much everywhere and all the time :s

i hope that reading this topic will motivate me to leave that crap behind, i just need to find some stimulus. hard thing is that my gf, which im living with, also smokes. guess i just need to make her not let me smoke

on monday i will try to smoke only 3 times a day - morning, afternoon, before sleeping. gonna keep it for a week and see how the thing goes

also gz gimp, ure gonna be my mentor ;P
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Then there is a question if it is better to stop once and for all, or lower the doses over time. Any thoughts?
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Personally I believe you should go balls to the wall and quit cold turkey. Mind you I think you can have nicotine gum or maybe even these e-cig things that seem to help (kinda risky because nobody knows if they are healthy or not), but the goal is to never take another puff of a cig (assuming the goal is to quit cigs and not nicotine). So immerse yourself in all that is quitting with crying, yelling, being dramatic, making cig topics, and making a big deal to yourself that you are fucking done with these things. Do whatever you have to do but just dont take another puff and know that everything will be okay. Buddhists often preach to live in the moment, so that when you speak just speak, and when you feel just feel etc. well when you quit just quit. By conceding to some plan of x amount of cigs per day you are not living in the moment of your quit but just waiting for that next cig you're allowed to have. you are a robot living in the future and not in the present. the nicotine wont be out of your system until three days after your last cig, so x amount of cigs per day will not make the nicotine leave any faster despite how minute the number is. the success rates ive noticed do not seem any different, so weeding yourself off is a waste of time. For me I had to make the decision to never have another cig again, to never concede to one for any reason, I made this choice at the beginning of my quit and it was successful for me. i think the beginning of your quit does not start at the moment you decide to start having less, but only at the moment you decide to never have another cig. Others who do not make this choice are only smokers temporarily not smoking, they are not non smokers. so which one are you?
Last edited by gimp on 12 Oct 2015, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

culinko wrote:Image
lol pic. i didnt notice how this applied for a minute there
God Bless America
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I quit smoking and Red Bull.
Elasto Mania - ez better
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Ramone doesn't want to say too much I think but he told me he used to smoke a lot so this is a huge congrats :)
God Bless America
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Its still early, cant say too much. I quit a little over eight weeks ago. But my plan was to quit when december started and kinda just test to quit a while before that with no pressure. I took a smoke last weekend of november because it was my last chance. Didnt like it and smoked maybe half, wasnt even sober. If I smoke or drink Red Bull in december I have to shave my head, if I smoke and drink Red Bull in december I have to die my hair real blonde, keep it like that for a month and then I have to shave it. Needless to say, there is no room to fail.

Also, it was Gimps words in this topic alone that made me decide. Had no plans to quit. But when realized I spend so much time thinking about smoking, I felt quite sick. Also felt stupid AF for not realizing this. Red Bull I wanted to quit for long time, also quit many times.

Peace

And thanks again Gimp!
Elasto Mania - ez better
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Welcome to non-smokers club! :wink:
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

since i wrote (10th October), today is the first day FULLY without touching e-cig. earlier had i a few days of notsmoking until the evening, but never managed not to smoke at all. today it came somehow naturally or sth, it was not too hard to keep myself away from this
what is weird - when not smoking for many hours i hev some lungs pain :0
we will see if i manage to keep it up for the next day
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Good job jblaze! I'm curious why you wanted to quit ecigs? Any side effects or just didn't like to be addicted to something? Don't know if ecig could have the same withdrawal effects, but when I quit cigs I was coughing up flem and had hurt lungs for like two weeks, afterwards it went away and breathing had never felt better :)
God Bless America
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

i think it fas fifty-fifty, i didnt want the addiction but also these small side effects that occured, like:
1. coughing (not permanently, not really tediously but still made me think about it)
2. lungs pain sometimes, same as above
3. itchy throat (usually after alco evening, when you smoke non-stop, e-cig is simply glued to your hand)
4. probably some condition lost, mostly noticable when i was attempting a 1km speedrun
i think i started noticing these about a year after starting smoking and started wondering about potential health harm
money is not a big deal here, but still its worth saving a few cents
gimp wrote: when I quit cigs I was coughing up flem and had hurt lungs for like two weeks
oh, i guess that the tiny lung-pressure is nothing then ;p
i feel im not addicted physically (at least not that strong), i think its more like a ritual, often linked with certain situations

log from today: woke up at 7AM taking 7 vaps, didnt take more to this point (19PM), but going to take a beer later, which means a tough challange!
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

couldnt resist and took approximately 50 vaps in total yesterday after beering, which is still nice i think.
today only 1 vap taken, which is pretty much nothing compared to 1000 or 5000 vaps per day ive been taking before (hard to estimate how many of these i could take every day)
small beering is just about to start, i hope not to touch the cig at all!
badyl
37mins club

Post by badyl »

Read Allen Carr's book. You will quit instantly and forever. You can smoke while reading.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

maybe its only week, but i think i can say i succesfully quit, but i guess it was only the first part of quitting (not smoking when u feel u want it, i'd call it the "key part"). i dont smoke at all now, i dont want to, i dont plan to. its not tasty anymore, the fog doesnt even smell well now

the second part (not necesarily easier imo) is not to let myself say this after a month or so: "i think i quit for good now, guess i can smoke some today". from what i heard, this is where many people fail quitting and end up coming back to the addiction

some wierd feeling in lungs occurs a few times a day, but i feel it is a healthy pain ;P
im proud of myself, i boosted some mental strength and im really happy and feeling healthier (even if its kind of placebo or wtf)
a row of 5 beery days ended up without a e-cig ;] (yeah, refilling no-cig with beers heh)
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Today it came exactly one year since I quit smoking (hooray!), that's quite sick and hard to believe it's already that long. However, I am not going to say I feel much better/healthier now (or any cheesy stuff like that), because to be honest I haven't really noticed any difference. Maybe I just am a bad judge, I don't know. But still I feel good about quitting of course, I know this is a much healthier path even though I can't directly feel it. The best thing about this quitting has been the freedom; not needing to think when or where to smoke, do I have enough cigs with me etc... it's a one worry less which is very welcome.

One thing that really has bothered me are the dreams. Occasionally I have these dreams where I start or have started smoking again, those are truly horrible. They mostly involve some old shitty life situations and the life in them feels very dull, gray, pointless, washed-out.. don't know how to describe it really but it is very depressing. Then I am also disappointed in myself for smoking, the tone in the dreams is that it was inevitable and bad things are going to keep on happening. It's always such a huge relief to wake up after these dreams to discover that's not really happening. I guess in a way it is a good thing I have associated smoking with these negative things, I don't remember a single dream where I was happily smoking again. These dreams most certainly don't make me wanting to start it again.

Anyways, it was a good decision to quit and I wish the best of luck to all you other quitters too, you can do it!
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Nice work vj! Really, I mean it. Most people I know that smoke don't have the discipline to quit. And many have quit multiple times (i.e. not quit).

It makes me happy to read about your success! Keep it up dude, you know it already but in case you would ever forget I think it's nice to have other people telling you this. You're doing the right thing!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Thanks, it's always nice to read supportive feedback! Also, another negative thing I forgot to mention is that since I quit smoking I have gained a few extra kilos (and I already had too much to start with). So, my new project for this year is to loose some weight, I have at least 10kg to loose. But that's another topic so should maybe start a new topic about it.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Pls start weight losing tropic, v_j), wanna know your progress and stats and such (and also of others)

I started running (3 weeks ago) and I am loving it so far. Wanna lose like 5-10 kg too. I hate that I look fat on photos and I started developing a decent belly. Will share more in tropic (more about strategy, not about my stomach).

gj with cigs :) I am so glad I never started, knowing, how easily I get addicted to something.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Im back on. Been all year. Quitted for 1.5 weeks after job forced me to go to doctor about my constant caugh. I had some infection and doctor gave me pills for 10 dsys. Didnt smoke during that time either and csugh dissapeared. Then started snoking lights. Quite nasty, but was part of my plan to "dont smoke the best stuff, so will be easier to quit later formula". Reslised was bs and went back to norm smokes. Atm some 30-35 smokes a day probably. And some 5-7 red bulls a day. Plus eat out every dsy. Conclusion: not good for wallet. Also my body is worse than ever, dont recover from slams (falls) so skated wsy too little this year, and every time I skate I skate trough the pain. Foot/ankle hurts 24/7 with every step I take. Body and mind not falling syncronized. Body falling too fast. Also gained weight I think, maybe not. But rubbing belly often.

How stop smoking?
Elasto Mania - ez better
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Ramone wrote:Im back on. Been all year. Quitted for 1.5 weeks after job forced me to go to doctor about my constant caugh. I had some infection and doctor gave me pills for 10 dsys. Didnt smoke during that time either and csugh dissapeared. Then started snoking lights. Quite nasty, but was part of my plan to "dont smoke the best stuff, so will be easier to quit later formula". Reslised was bs and went back to norm smokes. Atm some 30-35 smokes a day probably. And some 5-7 red bulls a day. Plus eat out every dsy. Conclusion: not good for wallet. Also my body is worse than ever, dont recover from slams (falls) so skated wsy too little this year, and every time I skate I skate trough the pain. Foot/ankle hurts 24/7 with every step I take. Body and mind not falling syncronized. Body falling too fast. Also gained weight I think, maybe not. But rubbing belly often.

How stop smoking?
Jesus, dude... You gotta take care of yourself. I quit smoking when I was 15 because I was out of money. Never started again. I really dunno how else to do it. I'm no expert, so don't take my words as gospel, but right now since you smoke so much I don't see cold turkey being pos, works for very few. Maybe try to limit yourself to just one pack a day in the beginning, and then once that feels more comfortable (can take weeks or even months for some sadly) you can slowly start to decrease amount. It's a very hard thing to do, and it takes a long time. But in my experience it lasts longer than cold turkey quitters who are always back on after a few weeks. Either way you're gonna have to make a concious and determined effort to quit. No half-assed "I'm gonna quit next week" shit. It happens now.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

You have to understand the reasons why you should quit and then make the decision. The decision process can be slow, you don't have to flip a switch and start thinking differently. But from now when you smoke always try to think about the reasons why you are doing it and why you shouldn't. Start growing the idea of quitting in your mind and when you feel you are ready just cut the cord. Or idk maybe this mental bs only works for me.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

hoping for the best ramone. you gotta find your own way to fight it over. do more physical acitvity if possible or sth? not easy with ankle problems though. maybe you should go down on red bulls also. 5-7 redbulls aint healthy for anything. switch to coffee atleasy or sth? theres no objecitve solution for quitting, also i suck at it:
jblaze in december 2015 wrote:the second part (not necesarily easier imo) is not to let myself say this after a month or so: "i think i quit for good now, guess i can smoke some today". from what i heard, this is where many people fail quitting and end up coming back to the addiction
Ruben wrote: limiting smoking blablabla (...) lasts longer than cold turkey quitters who are always back on after a few weeks.
heh.
had 4 months of no smoking at all since i wrote that shit. then moved away from girlfriend, started meeting much with friends which resulted in occasional "let me taste it". started smoking much in june again and keeping it still. atm im promising myself to stop when e-cig breaks. lel, we will see...
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

At the end of the day any method you use to quit smoking is a good way to quit smoking, if it lasts....

However, if you are like me, then cold turkey is the only way to go. When I commit myself to something I prefer to go all-in, I recognized the problem with trying to quit a little at a time, the fact that you are quitting has no real impact on you, you concede to a cig here and there, you create a plan that you cannot keep with because you never formed a real foundation.

You need to suffer for this to work, create a rock solid foundation and suffer through it, like a man who says he will run a marathon and he will not quit until he accomplishes his goal. Or the way nekit hoyls internals, he simply doesnt stop. Quitting cigs was the same way for me, you can cry, bitch, moan, whatever you just never take another puff. You know that the cig is bad for you and does nothing for you, anything you think it does for you is nothing more than an illusion. If you truly believe this and are a man who believes in yourself, then you can quit cigs right away even if you smoke 6 packs a day, others have done it, i have done it, anybody who says otherwise has nothing to do with your quit, dont let any negativity go into it and do it because you believe in yourself and deep down you know you are not happy with smoking, you have been trying to quit for too long, enough is enough. take control of your life and be who you want to be right away.
God Bless America
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

I'm nat really an active smoker anymore. Sometimes goes a week or sach when nat smoke but have ciggys at home. But always have moments when think about having one but just don't orka bother going out or sach. Pretty much anytime I go outside I smoke though, sometimes smoke 1-2 packs in a night when drinking with the laddies.
I guess the thing is I can NAT smoke (hev nicotine substitute SNUS) but couldn't imagine a life without ever inhaling again. I'm nat really in 'hell' so to speak, more like purgatory.
ToMaT
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Alcohol topic made me think of this smoking topic. How are all the quitters doing? Stay strong :)
God Bless America
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

quitted e-cig 3rd or 4th time in my life 2 days ago... coughing like a farty ass. its hard as fuck to quit that, probably because it is so innocent in the micro scale. one inhalation is nothing if you take thousands per day and it doesnt affect your mind noticably unless you have some break and are on a druggy hunger.

few months ago limited my addiction like so: i gave my ecig to friends that i meet ~once a week and only smoked when i met them, then started cheating on myself by taking it with me ("just for 1 day") and ended up fulltime smoker some time ago again. the urge is big. comic addiction, seriously.

what about you, gimp? still clean?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Thats okay jblaze, the fact that you are still aware of your dissatisfaction with smoking means you will quit permanently, you know that you will quit for good, just make the final decision and follow through with it, you are stronger than your temptations.

To answer your question I am still smoke free since 2014 when i made this topic.

I relapsed many times before that, what finally helped was that i held onto that shitty feeling of relapsing and i remembered it and internalized it, i knew that i didnt want to feel that way again, i was tired of failing at something that was important to me.

Also, the ticking clock helped me stop. I had lived 23 years when i quit, and i had already experienced some chronic back pain and leg pain from a broken femur accident, that is why i have a gimp. I knew smoking would inevitably lead to a painful life and death. i am tired of pain, i want a clean healthy body, afterall i have to carry this one along for the next sixty years. I wanted to minimize my pain, it is a part of maximizing happiness.
God Bless America