Chess strategy, rating/sites, jibber jabber, etc.

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

Chess strategy, rating/sites, jibber jabber, etc.

Post by gimp »

I know there are a lot of good chess mans here. I have started playing A LOT in the last two weeks. I've always liked the game but really only started to have a much more profound respect for it as of lately. I've started studying chess openings, defenses, and traps. I use sparks chess and have a rating of 1200 on there, but I would like to be much better obviously.

I think my strengths in chess right now is playing methodically, usually having a solid opening game and recognizing some of the opponents attacks before he initiates them. My style of play brings out longer games with opponents of my same skill level, and sometimes Ill get a quick check mate if its something ive researched. Also I have learned a variety of defenses and try to be versatile as black depending on whites opening move

My weaknesses are a lot of different things. I have trouble figuring out how to checkmate when I am up in material, sometimes it results to us going into a long end games with a lot of runner pawns and maneuvering around that. I want to be better at my end game, I find myself being able to checkmate only after I had to go through the whole process of taking out all his pawns and such. Next weakness is blunders, not even getting forked by the knight with rook and king kind of blunder but just leaving something completely open like i never saw it. I have became way way better with this since i started a couple weeks ago, but maybe one in ten games Ill just be dumb and leave something completely open and obviously it gets taken, usually when i am down in material i cant bounce back for the win. I have trouble being aggressive, sometimes Ill think i should sacrifice something and wont and can lose the game as such. Other weakness is that my opening has just been pawn to e4 everytime lately playing as white, usally going into the ruiz lopez or italian game. I still want to be proficient with this before I explore new openings.

To be more specific about one thing when i open with e4 and my opponent goes into the scandanavian defense, i am having trouble building momentum against this defense for whatever reason. Should I make his queen dance around as long as possible and develop my pieces? what should i block with if he brings me into check, the bishop or the queen? I have lost to black a few times when they start with the scandanavian for whatever reason.

Its hard to not feel like a total noob at this game when i think about how good some people are at chess, what are their secrets i wonder?

Any advice would be awesome! i really have come to love this game, wish i knew more about it in my earlier years. also id like to hear about your chess skills, ideas, or gripes.
God Bless America
Ruben
Kuski

Re: Chess strategy, rating/sites, jibber jabber, etc.

Post by Ruben »

Is there a good online chess game? It's not the same as playing with proper pieces, but I'd like to play you. I'm not all that good, but as opposed to you (it seems) I excel under pressure in the midgame. Some of my best matches I've been down a few points, and been like two moves away from losing. Then suddenly I'll start hearing the thoughts of my opponent, and just pull a victory right out of my ass. Seems this only ever happens when I'm in deep shit, it's like something triggers in my brain and I can suddenly see the matrix.

Everything else I'm kinda shit at. I have no clue about openings or endgames. Never done any research either, so when you say italian or scandinvian I truly have no idea what you're talking about =P
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Interhybritizer wrote:Is there a good online chess game? It's not the same as playing with proper pieces, but I'd like to play you. I'm not all that good, but as opposed to you (it seems) I excel under pressure in the midgame. Some of my best matches I've been down a few points, and been like two moves away from losing. Then suddenly I'll start hearing the thoughts of my opponent, and just pull a victory right out of my ass. Seems this only ever happens when I'm in deep shit, it's like something triggers in my brain and I can suddenly see the matrix.

Everything else I'm kinda shit at. I have no clue about openings or endgames. Never done any research either, so when you say italian or scandinvian I truly have no idea what you're talking about =P
sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about:)
[carebox]
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

milagros wrote:
Interhybritizer wrote:Is there a good online chess game? It's not the same as playing with proper pieces, but I'd like to play you. I'm not all that good, but as opposed to you (it seems) I excel under pressure in the midgame. Some of my best matches I've been down a few points, and been like two moves away from losing. Then suddenly I'll start hearing the thoughts of my opponent, and just pull a victory right out of my ass. Seems this only ever happens when I'm in deep shit, it's like something triggers in my brain and I can suddenly see the matrix.

sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about:)
Correct. I look at the board an move the pieces. Often that seems to go well.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Spef
34mins club

Post by Spef »

Hi, I play chess. Been playing competitively for almost 2 years. ELO is a bit over 2000 and has been stuck there for a while(

I rarely play online. When I do it's usually at chess.com, rarely FICS.

Probably the fastest way to improve for gimp and other beginners would be to train tactics. Many places have tactics trainers, best I know is chesstempo.com. Chess.com also has a great trainer, but like many things there, it is limited for free users. I have probably learned most of what I know from various channels on YouTube, very much good content there. Go for #elmachess too.
[10:47:49] (Hosp) tol thinks that all there is in life is a gf, status, money blabl
[10:48:19] (ANATOLIY) not all hosp =)
[10:48:29] (ANATOLIY) but elma must be at second screen
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I watch kingscrusher and chessexplained blitz vids erryday while eating. I also watch some major tournaments, although super GMs are sometimes max boring, especially in classic. I don't like playing myself, I'm probably a 1000-1300 man. I hate pvp and I hate AI so I'm prety much fukd.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I had some crappy 1900+ rating on chesstempo.com (which is the best, imo). Great site, works well etc.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I did a little bit of chess tempo tactics and it was pretty cool. Not all of the puzzles are about figuring out checkmate right? just coming up in pieces sometimes? or maybe I just couldnt figure out the checkmate :(
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

This pissed me off, look at how beautifully I trapped his queen! :evil: :evil: :evil: It took so much time and energy, yet as soon as he saw it he resigned and I received 0 points! I can only assume it has something to do with us having the same material taken or something stupid. They need to change their resignation settings.

God Bless America
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Idiot site gimp. Should receive full points for resignations: they are an admission of defeat, not a draw or a default. Quit site immediately.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

I've played quite a bit lately on chess.com, around 1200 elo in rapid, 1300 in 1 day chess. I also just roughly know a couple of openings and then do what seems to make sense at the time. Endgame is terrible if it gets down to like just rook + king, can easily fuck up and let the opponent draw or put him in stalemate even. Probably need to learn various endgames.
Add "prokrastinetajs" to friends if wanna play me ;)
39:37,91
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Me also, add "Ze_Rubenator" if you wanna play :beer:
<nick-o-matic> niec

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

http://lichess.org/MJC7y356

Coolest game I have ever played. After he made his move kD5 I had a clear advantage because bishop couldn't take while pinned. I could have taken the rook a couple moves later but decided to promote to a queen instead for fun(would have been checkmate if he took my promoted queen). I have never had a game where I played with two queens so early, also was nice to beat a player 300 rank higher than me.

Edit: after reading my first post on here I realize how bad I was at chess I was then, AND still how much better I have become but how BAD I am still. I still have a profound respect for this game still and how incredibly complex it is. Did you know there are more possible variations of games of chess than there are atoms in the observable universe(look up Shannons number)? Truly a great game with mysterious potential, would love to see some of the community's interesting games if you have them available.
God Bless America
jamppa
37mins club

Post by jamppa »

I've also been playing chess lately, interested if any elma mans i know wanna have a match?
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I used to conduct some Elma Chess League in the past, then Spef nicely took over. badyl also was very active: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 64#p230364
So u have an insight who might play. I sometimes play on chess.com
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
badyl
37mins club

Post by badyl »

AlphaZero is new player in the town! BEWARE !!!

https://www.chess.com/news/view/google- ... game-match
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

A bit dubious still. I was impressed, but I won't be blown away until they release full computer specs, or use the program on a computer that's equally as powerful as its opponent. Stockfish running on a supercomputer is always gonna moider Stockfish running on a laptop.
<nick-o-matic> niec

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Got interested in the game again. A made a topic on another forum about what bothers me the most when it comes to my abilities: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... -in-chess/ Maybe people here can give some advice as well?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I really enjoy watching computers face each other and watching their inhuman moves. What is interesting to me with these 3000+ ELO super computers going against each other is we are still seeing black win or white win, they are not all draws. Meaning chess is still not a solved game, and probably far from it in terms of computing power. Quantum computing may be the only way to go through all possible combinations by brute force. The game Go (even more variations of possible games than chess) which was not expected to have computers beat humans for a very long time, has surpassed many people's expectations by recently beating one of the top players in the world. Chess may one day be solved, and maybe even in our lifetime.
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Kuchitsu - your post really resonates with me, as i feel i have the same weaknesses. Once I get past openings and also being able to defend against easy attacks or calculate pieces/exchanges I then start to struggle with a more overall plan.

From watching videos though i am starting to notice that those times in chess when you are not defending and seemingly have a 'free move' and are even with your opponent are crucial. It is really the heart of chess and the best moment to take more time to develop a plan, ANY PLAN IS BETTER THAN NO PLAN, don't move just because in these moments. I have been trying more often to target king side or queen side (if they have already castled. Placing any pieces, (especially bishops on a long diagonal) that for example target a pawn on the kingside end up opening checkmate opportunities that help in the long run and force your opponent into defending and eventual trouble. If you have a plan you have given yourself initiative.

Also, a basic thing with exchanges that you may already know is when you can make your opponent have to use a pawn to retake a piece. If the pawn retaking causes him to double his pawns, expose a king, or leave his pawn alone with none others around it. I say that is a very good exchange for you most of the time.
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Got quite addicted to 10 minute rapid on lichess recently. Feel free to challenge me: https://lichess.org/@/kuchitsu :)

I had a fantastic day today: 6 wins, 1 draw, no losses! 1800 rating soon?
ANY PLAN IS BETTER THAN NO PLAN
Yeah, very true this. Doing random stuff and giving the opponent all initiative is not good. Even a somewhat dubious plan is better as you can at least try to force the enemy to reply to your threats instead of just doing whatever he wants. Still, sometimes it's just so hard to decide on something... I think I'll have to start reading books again at some point, or else I'll probably eventually get stuck.

I'm also trying to figure out how to stop raging when I lose. Again I'll link to my post from another forum, I think the topic might be of some interest: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ive-games/
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Ok, here is an interesting game I played: https://lichess.org/OH91FeTp/white#0

Last night I watched a video about attacking on the h file, so I just had to try it when the opportunity arose, even though I didn't see a clear win or anything. I made a dubious move 13. g6 - just giving up a pawn with no immediate gain, but I really wanted to weaken black's pawn structure as I didn't see how else I could reach the king. Due to his inaccurate play I won the pawn back, opened up the h file, and then it was pretty much over. It was very exciting to play so aggressively (usually I'm relatively peaceful).
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Another satisfying aggressive game: https://lichess.org/YyJ3VnwG/white#0 :)

My opponent chose a tricky opening where the kingside is weakened and defending it can require precise moves. A few mistakes allowed me to gain total control of the situation, resulting in a sexy final position: black is completely backed into a corner while all of my pieces are coordinated, leaving the king with nowhere to run.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Why your game link not working?
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

It works for me... Maybe the "#0" thing confuses your browser? Does it load if you remove it?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Yes that was it. Will check your games out later :)
God Bless America
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

As it is alowed to jibber jabber in this topic, I just wanna mention that yesterday I started learning how to chess properly, coz there will be friendly chess competition at friend's cabin 6.-7. 6.. And so far I realized I know bloody fucking nothing about chess :D Mad respect to all you pro mans.

I DLed .pdf versions of Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess and Nimzowitsch's - My System and also Chess Free app. I played a bit in app and I love it so far. I hope I'll see some progress on myself during next 2 weeks.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

lol, won my first rated game online: https://lichess.org/w60f6jFe/black
I play on phone vs bot on my way to work and every now and then I do puzzles. I've read about Scandinavian defense and wanted to try it vs real opponent.
btw there was no competition at friend's cabin in june :( But at least I am having fun learning chess
edit: shared game is full of blunders, sorrey, I was so excited
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Nice job bludek! The back rank checkmate is a nice gotcha feeling when you get it. It happened enough to me that i do not miss it anymore when calculating :)

I was thinking about the top players today and how they view the world. Magnus Carlsen for example seems completely obsessed with chess on a different level. They have interviews with him where he seems somewhere else and they will ask him what he is thinking about and he talks about some game 2 years ago. he has every game he has ever played memorized in his head, and can even play 20 games blindfolded at once. I think some of these top players like Carlsen live in an 8×8 grid all day long in their head, and their whole world is moving pieces around on it and thats all they think and care about. He has people who take care of all his other needs so all he has to do is move pieces around in his head everyday. It seems like a simple stress free life, but maybe also a waste of brain power and unfulfilling, but then again at least he gets to be super successful, which is better than i could say for myself. I can only get so into chess until i have to start thinking about my other responsibilities in life, so it is a waste of time for me. Also at a certain point i am just not smart enough naturally to visualize the position of the board 6 moves in well enough to spot trouble or opportunites. Some people are just gifted and most of us are not and that is just the way it is, hard work alone will not make you the greatest at chess, you have to first be born with the right brain and then have a mind that doesnt care about things that actually matter in life, you can only care and be obsessed about the board and checkmating the other pieces.
God Bless America
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

It's an interesting concept that everyone can't be the best at everything, seeing as it's sometimes taboo to say but still evidently so true.

Sure, hard and smart practice and work can bring you up to maybe the top percentiles, and for the layman there's nothing but excuses to not get "really good" at something, but to be the best you also need genetics on your side.

Would be interesting if you could figure out what you were genetically inclined to be the best at from a young age, but at the same time that might lead to a more unfulfilling life if you feel that it's pre-determined.

As for Magnus though, I don't know if your analogy is strictly true. The guy also has a modeling carreer, and the person helping him on his travels is is dad, so I'm guessing he's not that isolated in his chees world.

Then again I don't know anything.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Modelling 'career' takes no thought or distraction and is just a bi product of his chess fame. he now just gets to put clothes on and pose while thinking about chess :) not bagging on him, kudos to him for making the most of his talent.
God Bless America
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

What is the best way to get better in rapid and blitz games? I am doing decently good in puzzles on lichess (my rating fluctuates between 2100-2200), but I suck horribly in tactics, positional chess and in making generally good decisions fast. I am only 1200-1300 on lichess.
https://lichess.org/@/Bludek

Do I just need to play a lot of games or is there a better way to see patterns?
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Bludek wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 15:18 What is the best way to get better in rapid and blitz games? I am doing decently good in puzzles on lichess (my rating fluctuates between 2100-2200), but I suck horribly in tactics, positional chess and in making generally good decisions fast. I am only 1200-1300 on lichess.
https://lichess.org/@/Bludek

Do I just need to play a lot of games or is there a better way to see patterns?
Maybe play with me some time? I fluctuate between 1350-1450 on lichess, so I guess we won't stomp each other that much. I'm little higher in rapid, but much lower in puzzles.
https://lichess.org/@/Peavey
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I was doing chess.com for awhile now, and I thought I must suck because my rating there has been ~1200-1300 and I see you guys are higher.

I have played lichess rapid today (15+10) and beaten a few 1700+ players and a 1918 player (won 1 and lost 1 to him). My rating is 1856? right now. So either I am getting lucky or maybe there is a huge difference in ratings between these sites. Nonetheless my goal is 2000 for now on lichess without the ? next to the rating :)
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Yea, the difference is pretty big. I think I usually had around 1800 in lichess rapid, whereas right now on chess.com I have 1600 (although that's only 10 games with 8 wins and 2 losses, so I'm expecting it to grow a bit more).
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

We should play sonetime kutchitsu sice similar rating. My username is gimpy i will follow you.

Last night i got the ? off my rating and is now just 1888. I am proud of rating because i have taught mtself this game back when started this topic and i am not naturally gifted, it has been a grind but i feel like 1800 on lichess is respectable for the average man

Last night i played game which got me official rating against 1800+ player, i was positionally behind and he did not take pawn with bishop for some reason then i did a positional knight sacrifice that the analysis said wasnt a mistake or anything bad. I think maybe was first time i did sacrifice like that that wasnt some checkmate calculation or piece up calculation and was in mid game so kinda cool to know you can do that to gain advantage. Here is game.

https://lichess.org/BXZ9kBYj
God Bless America