Academy Awards 2015

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Tigro
Kuski

Academy Awards 2015

Post by Tigro »

Making this tropic a bit late, but still I'd like you to share thoughts on how Oscars went this year.

For me, I was a bit disappointed by Interstellar not winning in music category;
And imo Whiplash is overrated. Acting was good, fine, but the whole movie... duh.
Comparing Eddie Redmayne with Benedict in Theory / Enigma - I found them both quite close, however, I liked Benedict's acting more.
Concerning Animated feature flm category, Big Hero 6 was really cool and imo HTTYD2 would have won if it wasn't the sequel, because the graphic progress they made since first movie was immense.
Xiphias
39mins club

Re: Academy Awards 2015

Post by Xiphias »

Whiplash one of the best movies of the year, what do you mean.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Oscars are overrated. 1/10, would not watch again.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

In Whiplash, the most disturbing thing for me were the shots of the dude playing the drums and his shoulders and arms were barely moving and when there was a close-up on the drum kit you were able to see the desync of audio and video and that I found max irritating.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Didn't really root for anyone or anything this year so the award show wasn't that interesting to me. I think Redmayne really deserved his Oscar tho, Cumberbatch would've been a good winner too. Feast I liked (it's prior to Big Hero 6 in theatres) and was a deserving winner as well.

One thing that bugged me was all the political acceptance speeches. I think the Oscars should be all about entertainment and opinions and political views should be left at home.

Now I guess I have to see Budapest and Birdman. Also excited to see Whiplash.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Tigro wrote:In Whiplash, the most disturbing thing for me were the shots of the dude playing the drums and his shoulders and arms were barely moving
I haven't seen the movie yet but most drummers use fingers and wrists. Shoulder is just showboating.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Lousku wrote:
Tigro wrote:In Whiplash, the most disturbing thing for me were the shots of the dude playing the drums and his shoulders and arms were barely moving
I haven't seen the movie yet but most drummers use fingers and wrists. Shoulder is just showboating.
Miles Teller plays most of the drums in the movie himself, I think he has some 10 years experience or something, so I am not sure I agree with it being poor playback. I read from the trivia even the scenes where he is sweating from playing they actually had him playing the drums for hours during takes to get him tired :p
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:In Whiplash, the most disturbing thing for me were the shots of the dude playing the drums and his shoulders and arms were barely moving and when there was a close-up on the drum kit you were able to see the desync of audio and video and that I found max irritating.
Good drummers don't move their shoulders...
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

He then must have really some transcendent skill cause he can reach every drum without moving his arms (I am not telling his shoulders should shrug, I played drums myself) Still I found it disturbing.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Xiphias wrote:
Lousku wrote:
Miles Teller plays most of the drums in the movie himself, I think he has some 10 years experience or something, so I am not sure I agree with it being poor playback. I read from the trivia even the scenes where he is sweating from playing they actually had him playing the drums for hours during takes to get him tired :p
Oke, finally spyed the movie. Audio and video actually weren't in sync (except in a couple of scenes maybe) so Tigro was partly right. What they played was ofc similar to the audio, but I guess it was much easier for them to get the final audio and final video separately. Another thing I found sikly annoying was that all mistakes were grossly exaggerated so every viewer would notice for sure. The scene where he was supposed to play something he hadn't practiced was the most ridiculous. As if a drummer wouldn't be able to play anything sensible or keep time at all simply because he hasn't practiced the charts... wategak.

Idiot movie, 4/10.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?