Creative Coding

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Lee
37mins club

Creative Coding

Post by Lee »

I've recently started a creative coding paper at university (100 level). For the first week we were introduced to this website, to help familiarize ourselves with code and how it can be manipulated (copy/pasted). I personally found that very unenjoyable as it was too restricting.
For the second week we were introduced to Processing, and I must say it is a very fun little program to use. I've made a bunch of crap in it so far and some okay stuff. I've never really coded like this before so I am quite an amateur. I'll keep this topic updated with anything interesting I create during this paper, and hopefully get some tips and ideas from other creative coders (Ville_J?). I want a challenge. :)
Nothing to post right now as I'm still running tests and organizing my results, but I'll have stuff in the coming days.

For now check out my blog of the first week. We were asked to do three experiments with the software. I did eight :|

Week two's work will be far more interesting.
Lee
37mins club

Re: Creative Coding

Post by Lee »

Blog updated!

I made some kind of randomized scribbler that produced this:

Also, this is a cool pattern:

Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

i like this, especially cubes on website
ToMaT
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Yeah, Hosp. :)
Each week we're introduced to something new. Tomorrow it's Quartz Composer. I don't really know what that is but I'm sure it'll be fun to play/code with.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Quartz Composer is Mac OS X exclusive, which sucks, 'cause I bloody hate using Macs. Therefore I probably won't be making much stuff this week. Just the minimum of three experiments.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Assessment #2 started. This time around we get to choose which software we use. I have chosen Processing.

What I have decided to do this time is use Elma Online RSS and create stuff based on that information. I have a lot of ideas of how to display this information interestingly across all internals and other level packs, which will ultimately lead to a poster or booklet of some kind.
Yeah, I have to bring my creative coding to the real world :)
So far I have made something really basic with Internal 1 statistics as I am learning to import XML and such. It positions number+kuski+eoltime randomly with the text size relative to eoltime. As you can see, more emphasis is placed on faster times.

Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

This shows every internal PR on the EOL database in relation to each other. I can zoom in and out using my arrow keys. I've taken screenshots from three different scales. As you can see for levels 44 and 47 there is a clear gap that separates shortcut from non-shortcut times, and somewhat for levels 10 and 24 too. Quite basic I think. I need to start making more visually interesting images.

Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Remove the numbers and set the ratio in the middle of 2 and 3. I'd gladly print that out and have it on the wall. People may just think it's some random art, when it's in fact the nerdiest of nerdy things.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Thanks. I just left the numbers in for now so you can see the info better. I agree, the data should be mostly situated to the left.
Maybe it should be yellow on dark green.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I would like some feedback on what Elmans would like the most from these statistics. I have chosen to print my design(s), but I haven't decided the format yet.
I am asking because this could potentially be something I can donate as a prize for some future cup (a high quality print). But this could be anything: a book, a poster, a whatever.
A poster for example could be as big as A0 size. Let me know what you would like to see.

Note that the stats can be switched out with any level or level pack.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Developments:
Green = most registered times. Red = least registered times.
And this is idea #2.
I feel like no one reads this topic... :'(
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

epic stuff Lee. I request prints of these :) Maybe through deviantart - but never bought a print from there so dunno if good...
Your art would be a great piece in the documentary (http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewforum.php?f=27). Let's get in touch (I'll sent pm).
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Thanks, insane guy. I don't know if deviantart is the best place to print as they print from JPG images.
I'm interested in knowing how you would want to use these images in your doco. Awaiting your PM. :)
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Nearing the end of my 2nd assessment, I have decided how I will get my design printed. I'm going for high quality and later this will go up in my house somewhere. :)

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Interesting how strong the correlation is in terms of early levels being hoyled more than later levs. I mean I expected it for maybe first ten levels but those colors clearly go from green to Red. Poor Apple harvest
God Bless America
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

The only thing I don't like about that design is the white lines, though I guess they're there for a reason.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I created many different outputs, some with and without those lines. The ones without looked quite empty/bare towards the right of the composition.
The lines printed off a lot fainter than in that image, so it doesn't look bad. I have it printed and with me right now (2500 x 500 mm). :)