Trials HD (you'll like if you love Elma

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

HatCat
Kuski

Trials HD (you'll like if you love Elma

Post by HatCat »

It impresses me that there is no thread on this game yet. Someone should create one!

I have been addicted to this game since the first time I've seen it. Two (or three) hours later, I drove a great time on the first level which has stuck ever since. I devoured the game. At first I had only two faults on the first three extremes, then 9 on Inferno. But then years later I picked it up again and zero-faulted Inferno, easier than I had 9-faulted it earlier (back then I was very impressed with my performance).

I installed both DLCs (they feature some nice tracks, such as King of the Spill and Reality Check), and played on a small CRT tv, zero-faulting all extremes. Tournaments are the real fun of this game, though. It would be a pleasure for me to have Elma friends to compete with on this game.

Perhaps everyone can share their gamertag and then we create a sub-community there, showing them our real hoyling skills?

I've always been hooked with Elma. But it happened to me too, with Trials HD (but not the later installments in the series).

I've found I've somewhat transferred my skills from Elma to Trials, which might be a real plus for all of us.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Re: Trials HD (you'll like if you love Elma

Post by Kopaka »

HatCat wrote:Trials HD (you'll like if you love Elma
GAA joke.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Trials :mrgreen: Any trials I tried and saw had horrible physics, nuff said for me.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Well, I've tried it in the past. It is better than Xmoto, but still way too casual-oriented and boring. I don't mind spying it when other ppl play it, but never again for my.

The only elma-like game I rly liked was Motocoin. Had real fun with it. Too bad it was kinda buggy and the project failed.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Bludek wrote:but still way too casual-oriented and boring.
Have you tried the hard tracks? there are like 30 of them, and does not feel quite casual-oriented to me?

EDIT: example of a hard track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvnSk4xfdk

obviously one should turn the music off, as the music choice is way casual, i agree about this part
Last edited by HatCat on 2 Sep 2015, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Disgusting graphics!
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I played Trials on a game website when I was a kid, it was fun but then I found Elma =)
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Bjenn wrote:I played Trials on a game website when I was a kid, it was fun but then I found Elma =)
yeah, that was back then, when there was no progressive acceleration available (like in trials hd).

i lived emotions in elma, and i think i like this game more, but trials permitted me living more intense emotions. i remember once in the last tournament of trials evo, i was sweaty and heart rate because i was on the 6th level, and had not yet faulted once, and i could not take it anymore and i began sensing a blood taste in my mouth, that's when your body can't take anymore of the adrenalin.

it's the applied concept of a no-fault run (in elma, being a time-limited, no-death run). but i agree these two games are vvery different. it appears i am the only one with hoyling motivation in both games. but i still do believe there are parallels (in hoyling motivation to be drawn) between elma and hd.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Playd thru all the levs when it was new. fun game
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

if any one ever read this enough to be influenced by it: try the "big pack" dlc, which smooths out the learning curve a little bit. plus, its tournaments are beatable, contrary to the ones of the latter dlc, which for it to be said is not recommended by everyone.

i personally feel the first dlc, on the other hand, continues in the same feeling path as the main game. and i'm reiterating that the tournaments offer something that elma doesn't. elma on the other hand, offers more of an exercise in puzzle, or path optimization. whereas in trials one only has to smooth out the riding lines and to master the bike. although the tournaments are crazy there: you are forced not to die, whereas in elma everybody realizes that "speed runs" or such are just insane and nobody ever seriously tempts them. this is because they are not obligatory! balazs is way less evil and more kind, than the trials developers.

really different games, but the hoyla spirit seems there both sides. for example, in trials time does not really matter (except for the elite-few who has zero-faulted the whole game), but in elma it's somewhat faster-paced, and time is all that counts so one does not care resetting every now and then.
Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Mrrrr »

FinMan wrote:Trials :mrgreen: Any trials I tried and saw had horrible physics, nuff said for me.
+1
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Mrrrr wrote:
FinMan wrote:Trials :mrgreen: Any trials I tried and saw had horrible physics, nuff said for me.
+1
It might be interesting to hear the specifics, though.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Can you show some more complex styles/moves that are possible in Trials? I've spyed some videos and it seems extreemly uninteresting with a focus on fancy graphics and explosions liek woah duuude awsom kickass radical!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Lousku wrote:Can you show some more complex styles/moves that are possible in Trials? I've spyed some videos and it seems extreemly uninteresting with a focus on fancy graphics and explosions liek woah duuude awsom kickass radical!
Sure.

Personally I prefer Elma, but for me Trials HD definitely has something (extra) to it.

I've come to think the interesting aspects of each of these games are their different moves. In Trials the first levels are quite exempt of any complexity, as zero-faulting them is a challenge for most newcomers (unless you're coming from a racing platformer such as Elma). But in the latter levels (check this video of the last hard track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFThtH1 ... e&t=37m29s

things get spicier, the kuski (hehe) or player having to perform advanced tricks. I've shown the game to numerous people, only to see everybody drop out there because of the too-steep learning curve. I myself didn't have much problems and went over to the Extreme tracks, zero-faulting ones such as the Pilgrimage. The videos cannot speak for themselves though, much like EDQ. First-hand gameplay is just another world.

In the King of the Hill track above, is shown "bunny-hopping," or whatever that's called in-game. While in Elma we do front flips to climb steps, in trials we bunny-hop. This is done everywhere, and while it does not require the planning of Elma, it does require some planning and what seems an equal or higher amount of dexterity and precision. None of the tricks are the same. While there is the bounce (shown near the end of the KO Syndicate replay), it is different than the one from Elma. It requires practice too, because the right angle has to be found, which has to be very precise.

what hooked me into the game at some point (although the addiction didn't last as long as Elma for me, or at least I played it for a far-lesser amount of time), is the difficulty I had finishing the first Extreme track. Then the fourth and last one (called Inferno), the game kicked me out because of 500 faults in-track. almost 300 of which were at a given obstacle. It took me some efforts to just finish it once.

Then of course there comes the potential for improvement (which is called hoyla in Elma). It's about the same than having 3:00,00 headbanger. there is room for improvement. so I played the Inferno track again, and brought the faults number down to 9. then some years later, i took it again and i did 0 as i had gotten more confident in it.

Overall, I'd say, at least from my own perspective, that the complexity of the game is higher in Elma. Although I cannot ignore Trials HD, only because I love the genre and it has moves such as the bunny-hop, and that the gameplay is just at the antipodes.

I haven't gone back to Elma in a long time, nor am I playing Trials (or any other game for that matter) in current times. I feel Trials HD has nothing much left to offer me, because of its lower complexity. Although I'd give some money if someone could get me back in time in a state where I'd still have to learn Trials. It's an experience I'm recommending to kuskis (read above: you "might" like, not "will"). And there is the Outside the Ball skill game (two tracks) which is interesting, as it offers the concept of balance. etc.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

dislike it, so i dislike elma too.
Team SPEED

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Maybe I'm the last person to comment on that game, since in Elma I'm interested in unique styles instead of höyling. The vast majority of those styles are really basic by even 1997 Across standards. You rarely even see them going left..?? But as you said, actual gameplay is needed to understand the game, so there's probably mechanics I'm completely blind to. I would certainly try it.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Lousku wrote:Maybe I'm the last person to comment on that game, since in Elma I'm interested in unique styles instead of höyling. The vast majority of those styles are really basic by even 1997 Across standards.
You're nailing down something here. I may be wrong in some aspects, but to exaggerate things a little bit, there are no secret or "better" track styles in Trials. But on the other hand, the höyling there mostly refers to zero-faulting tracks, rather than reaching a lower time. Like in Elma, there are subtleties in the application of moves, which means the game requires practice. In Elma as in Trials HD, once you've grasped the big basics, things can start to flow more.

So yeah, basic styles indeed. But that doesn't mean one is able to finish the "King of the hill" track with less than 10 faults, first try. So there is still depth in the basicness (ironically?).

Write back here in the future if you get your hands on it!
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Ok, I'll play along.

I tried trials games, but they were uninteresting to me. In Elma there was something that got me the first time I played back in 2006. Even if I played all by myself and it wasn't that interesting, nor challenging, I continued playing a little.

I even tried Xmoto, which is - to me at least - a bad combination of Elma and trials.

Plus, trials are not a puzzle, are not tricky imo. Sure, there are different levels of difficulty, but that's about it. While in Elma you have different styles, different routes, different types of levs (pipe, upik, flat, cruise etc.) etc. etc. etc.

I could play Trials HD for 2-3 hours maybe, today, but tomorrow I wouldn't feel the urge to start it again. :roll: It has happened before.

Elma? Well, since 2010 when I joined EOL, I played almost daily. Elma has that something.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

some guy was making elma trials mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2Wz6D ... e=youtu.be. he seems to have the turning working, dunno if possible to have the hang mechanics too and also seems like he made some random level instead of trying to replicate some internal