I have figured out the meaning of life

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

I have figured out the meaning of life

Post by gimp »

I pondered and I reflected, meditated and dwelled over; Why??? Why am I hear? What are we doing here? The question became ridiculous to me, perhaps the question is flawed, for what is "meaning" really? Does anything ever have meaning? Its such an ambiguous word. I realized though, an epiphany really, the meaning of things is only to describe their puspose, their outcome, the inevitable. With this in mind the answer is simple really.

The meaning of life is to die. Before we fulfill life's meaning we must first live! I am very glad to make this discovery, because I think it has helped me with my fear of death and the unknown. All of us who live will die, and all who have lived before die as well, it is each and every one of our destinies. despite all our difference of opinions, languages, color, ways of life, species even.... We all share death together.
God Bless America
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: I have figured out the meaning of life

Post by Orcc »

The concept of death is not what it used to be. I suggest you take some time off to read this and your view on death and its necessity might just change.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/cryonics.html

Here's a quote:
Today, dead means the heart has been stopped for 4-6 minutes, because that’s how long the brain can go without oxygen before brain death occurs. But Alcor, in its site’s Science FAQ, explains that “the brain ‘dies’ after several minutes without oxygen not because it is immediately destroyed, but because of a cascade of processes that commit it to destruction in the hours that follow restoration of warm blood circulation. Restoring circulation with cool blood instead of warm blood, reopening blocked vessels with high pressure, avoiding excessive oxygenation, and blocking cell death with drugs can prevent this destruction. The site goes on to explain that “with new experimental treatments, more than 10 minutes of warm cardiac arrest can now be survived without brain injury. Future technologies for molecular repair may extend the frontiers of resuscitation beyond 60 minutes or more, making today’s beliefs about when death occurs obsolete.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

meaning of life is to pass genes on
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Well that Orcc link is interesting but doesn't really change much, it's not like people become immortal. What comes to the meaning of life, I have never understood the concept or things people try to come up with. The reason why you are here is that evolution happened and your parents made you, I don't understand why there should be some other meaning to it. What you decide and want to do with your life is solely your personal view and you can try to come up with all kind of bs like the meaning of life is to love or breed or whatever but it's not an objective matter and doesn't apply to life in general and I'm not buying it.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

What about creatures that don't die then? Apparently there are worms and jellyfish that can regenerate indefinitely. Do they not have a meaning then? :(
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

aaaa way too complex topic, not sure if I can respond properly.
Reading, studying eastern philosophy helps a lot to understand the existence. But you have to be open-minded to accept it, you won't be able to understand it with pure materialistic view.
To be extremely short and solid:
Life is about experience. "Universe" is intelligent (="God", not an old man with long grey beard lol), divided itself into zillions of lifeforms (including humans), gave them free will to do "good" and "bad" things (yes, they are allowed even to kill each other!), therefore it can try zillions of possibilities.
You are not a body, you are a soul in a body. Body is just an avatar, a container for soul. Body is useless after death (so the idea of the cryo-gak is a complete failure), solution: reincarnation.

I stop now, because i'm sure this is already too much for many ppl :D Impsy topic.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

It all happened by chance
You're not special
There's no free will
Respect the Earth - it's your home
Respect the Sun - it's your life
Have fun with the short time that has been given to you
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I already figured it out guys it's cool, just wanted to share this supreme knowledge with you before you kick the bucket. no need to argue about who is right and wrong here just gimp is right.
God Bless America
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Nice try but dosent add up

then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I pretty much agree with z (there is really no meaning, but it is cool to know the blood of my blood will live here after my), ville_j (exactly my thoughts) and in very different and cool way with Lou.

Orcc's and Kuchitsu's quotes doesn't rly add anything to the original question in topic.

At the moment I kinda disagree with iCS (soul? God? impsy words) and with gimp ("Before we fulfill life's meaning we must first live!" - nah, there's no meaning. Not even the death.).

Ruben's quotes are contradictory and colide with each other (agree with 1,2 and 6. Disagree with 3,4,5).

I am existential nihilist in a way, I guess. I wanna live a nice life and pass my genes, but looking for a "meaning" is pointless. I am not gonna look for a meaning of life of a fish, why should I look for a meaning of life of humans? Just coz we have developed bigger brain through evolution?
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Bludek wrote:
Orcc's and Kuchitsu's quotes doesn't rly add anything to the original question in topic.
Of course they dont, and neither does yours or anybody else's quotes, this topic wasn't asking anything. I have stated the meaning of life, you will understand one day.
God Bless America
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

You are wrong. If the meaning was to die, then we wouldn't be born in the first place. The meaning of life is to live.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

This logic is clearly flawed, if I reverse it on you then the meaning could not be to live, or else we would never die.
God Bless America
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

the meaning of life is 42 /end of originality
Last edited by Sunshine on 21 Nov 2017, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

42 :) I remember seeing that answer as a kid and wondered if the author had an elaborate reason for the number, research claims he chose it as a joke and that it is in fact meaningless to the storyline. It worked well for its purpose and made me laugh
God Bless America
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Earlier I said meaning of life is to pass genes on, but after giving another thought to this i change my wordnig to: meaning of life is to preserve life, and life in this context means all life on the planet earth. "Passing genes" works up to a point, like if your ancestors didn't pass genes you wouldn't exist etc bla bla, but it's still quite narrow minded.

As for your "individual" life... it's quite meaningless on the grand scale. How do you even define what is truly part of you. Full of bacteria, constant input and output and whatnot. I guess you're not far off if you're having fun in your individual life.

How to preserve life? Might be quite difficult task to decide what preserves life in the best way. Dumping poison in the ocean is probably not the best way, but you can't really prove it. Most likely life will go on no matter what any species or individual does until an astronomical event happens and ends life.

Or maybe I drank too mutch gofe.

summery:
you're life: hf
al life: preserve it .. OMG imsy decide how fuk it
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

gimp wrote:this topic wasn't asking anything. I have stated the meaning of life
It's not a discussion then, moporators should lock this topic now. :)
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

gimp wrote:This logic is clearly flawed, if I reverse it on you then the meaning could not be to live, or else we would never die.
You assume that if you die, everything prior to this point did not exist or was meaningless. This is wrong.

Also, we never die, we can reproduce ourselves. Death and birth is just like replacing a broken/worn out component in your car to save it from breaking down. If there is God, this is probably what he intended for us.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I do not assume everything prior to death is meaningless. this topic I created is about the meaning of life, so I assume quite the opposite.

We don't die? do you mean our thoughts and consciousness never die? Or that our body will become a tree or some shit? For me, my life is my thoughts and consciousness and I could care less about my body, I hope my consciousness survives, but I believe it dies.
God Bless America
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

my theory: if u can fully understand universe u get rewarded and put in 'hall of fame' outside of universe and get access to a kind of sandbox version of universe where u can experiment and do whatever you want in the world like a dream. actually universe got layer after layer of dimensions so once u understand u get promoted to higher sphere.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

gimp wrote:I do not assume everything prior to death is meaningless. this topic I created is about the meaning of life, so I assume quite the opposite.

We don't die? do you mean our thoughts and consciousness never die? Or that our body will become a tree or some shit? For me, my life is my thoughts and consciousness and I could care less about my body, I hope my consciousness survives, but I believe it dies.
No, I was referring to life as a whole, not your life as an individual. Your consciousness and thoughts will die with you, but someone else will be born with a brand new consciousness and thoughts. Isn't it great this way? Wouldn't it be boring to preserve your old non-unique consciousness when you can have new ones?
Zweq wrote:meaning of life is to preserve life, and life in this context means all life on the planet earth
+1
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Why does a water boil?

Thoughts pls.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Zweq wrote:Earlier I said meaning of life is to pass genes on, but after giving another thought to this i change my wordnig to: meaning of life is to preserve life, and life in this context means all life on the planet earth. "Passing genes" works up to a point, like if your ancestors didn't pass genes you wouldn't exist etc bla bla, but it's still quite narrow minded.

As for your "individual" life... it's quite meaningless on the grand scale. How do you even define what is truly part of you. Full of bacteria, constant input and output and whatnot. I guess you're not far off if you're having fun in your individual life.

How to preserve life? Might be quite difficult task to decide what preserves life in the best way. Dumping poison in the ocean is probably not the best way, but you can't really prove it. Most likely life will go on no matter what any species or individual does until an astronomical event happens and ends life.

summery:
As long as there are errors duing DNA replication, nauture will make sure life exist for long. That is why life exist. Merely passing genes is not enough.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Chris wrote:
Zweq wrote:Earlier I said meaning of life is to pass genes on, but after giving another thought to this i change my wordnig to: meaning of life is to preserve life, and life in this context means all life on the planet earth. "Passing genes" works up to a point, like if your ancestors didn't pass genes you wouldn't exist etc bla bla, but it's still quite narrow minded.

summery:
As long as there are errors duing DNA replication, nauture will make sure life exist for long. That is why life exist. Merely passing genes is not enough.
I wonder if there are species that don't reproduce sexually but clone themselves in stead. I tried googling but could only get results of humans cloning animals.
<nick-o-matic> niec

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

That would be pretty sick :D but probably easier make yourself immortal than clone yourself for reproduction xd

Like those jellyfish or sth. Point is: if you can clone cells then prolly ezier to clone cells within body and replace old/broken/rekt cells internally, than clone a whole set of cells, put it out, make it stick together and work :p
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

oke nice lous)
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

ofta wrote:my theory: if u can fully understand universe u get rewarded and put in 'hall of fame' outside of universe and get access to a kind of sandbox version of universe where u can experiment and do whatever you want in the world like a dream. actually universe got layer after layer of dimensions so once u understand u get promoted to higher sphere.
Nice, this one is surprisingly close to Vedic teachings.
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

iCS wrote:Nice, this one is surprisingly close to Vedic teachings.
thx, good read. nice to see schopenhauer name-dropped in article, which in turn influenced wagner. bottom-line: no vedic, no modern music as we know it.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

ofta wrote:thx, good read. nice to see schopenhauer name-dropped in article, which in turn influenced wagner. bottom-line: no vedic, no modern music as we know it.
continue the chain beyond Wagner: favourite composer of Hitler; now easy to see why Dolfy loved swastika so much.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

iCS wrote:
ofta wrote:thx, good read. nice to see schopenhauer name-dropped in article, which in turn influenced wagner. bottom-line: no vedic, no modern music as we know it.
continue the chain beyond Wagner: favourite composer of Hitler; now easy to see why Dolfy loved swastika so much.
Why is it that people are seemingly unable to talk about Wagner without mentioning Hitler? It feels like you're namedropping Saddam Hussein's favourite band and implying that they are in any way connected to him.
<nick-o-matic> niec

iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Ruben wrote:Why is it that people are seemingly unable to talk about Wagner without mentioning Hitler? It feels like you're namedropping Saddam Hussein's favourite band and implying that they are in any way connected to him.
hehe, true story, a bit overrated funfact. ppl should mention Hitler less time.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

i hear more often about his personal antisemitic views which is why some people view him in negative light although i don't see how that has much to do with how good or bad his music is
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Vermin Supreme wrote:i hear more often about his personal antisemitic views which is why some people view him in negative light although i don't see how that has much to do with how good or bad his music is
Wagner must have been a spiteful little man, there's no doubt about that. I read quite a good deal about him a few years ago, and there are a lot of conflicting views from different biographers. Some suggest that he, like Hitler, wanted death to all jews. This is a preposterous suggestion that sadly has been perpetuated by popular media. He did, however, write a few essays on the issue and it's not pretty. His language is a bit cluttered (which is the reason behind all this confusion), but what he seems to suggest is that jews should abolish their faith and join the enlightenment. He says in one of those essays that he's always had a suppressed resentment for "jewish businesses," but I (and many others) suspect that his resentment is actually targeted at two specific jewish composers who at the time were much more successful than him, namely Mendelssohn and Meyerbeer. When you're frustrated and envyous it can be easy to blame everyone else for your own shortcomings.

In no way do I condone this view, but it's important to keep in mind that this was in a time when religious conflict defined big parts of Europe. It was still a case of "protestants vs. catholics," some places more violent than others, and the jews were just as much in the fireling line as everyone else. You also have to keep in mind that the very idea of holocaust must have been a completely alien concept that only the most insane would ever come up with (Hitler), and that the people of that era had no idea what their "casual" bigotry would eventually lead to.

Suggesting that he had any influence on Hitler is preposterous. It's more a case of confirmation (and misunderstanding). Hitler discovered that Wagner also didn't like jews, so naturally that became his favourite composer. If Wagner was alive today there's no doubt that he would be horrified at what ignorant people associate him with.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

gimp wrote:The meaning of life is to die. Before we fulfill life's meaning we must first live!
You were already born, therefore you have been living. Now you can go die. Now you can go and fulfill the meaning of your life. I suggest some strong poison or gun.

Amirite or am I missing something of your logic?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:
gimp wrote:The meaning of life is to die. Before we fulfill life's meaning we must first live!
You were already born, therefore you have been living. Now you can go die. Now you can go and fulfill the meaning of your life. I suggest some strong poison or gun.

I think it's important to remember that nobody exists on purpose, therfore it's unreasonable to expect anyone to know the meaning of their existance. It's like someone getting hit by a car and you ask them "why would you go and get hit by a car?" To even attempt answering that question is absurd.

Have this from Monty Python:

For life is quite absurd,
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin -- give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it, it's the last chance anyhow!
<nick-o-matic> niec

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Tigro wrote:

I was having trouble finding meaning in life, until I realized there is only one thing that all life is universally destined to receive, and that is the final release of death. It is not time sensitive because death is inevitable, you don't have to fulfill the meaning right away. I would prefer to live a fruitful life, I think it would give my death more meaning.
God Bless America
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Life isn't invented, it's a biological coincidence, so any meanings about it is invented.

My meaning of life on the other hand is to enjoy it the way I want till its over.

To enjoy it as long as possible I always try to figure out how not to be sad. Sadness in both physical and psychological forms need to be dealt with, which is the real struggle.

To even grasp subjects like these you need to look away from any opinions affecting you stronger because majority of people believe it, or someone close to you told you, and then use the knowledge you have at hand to make personal conclusions.

Look at the world we know today, its a bunch of planets circling the sun because of some gravity, our planet was lucky to get right temperature for water and sustaining internal heating, so water starts mixing with stuff and turn into plants, and suddenly mix into moveable things and they eat things and develop, woops life created with no purpose other than surrounding conditions.

If you look at the galapagos islands which is islands in the middle of the ocean there are unique species only on those islands which is just volcanos that died out. So stone and water somehow made a island full of nature and life, and they contain all stages of life aswell. Some islands are starting to form life, some are full of life, and on some its dying out.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

gimp wrote:I would prefer to live a fruitful life, I think it would give my death more meaning.
What is fruitful, how do you define fruitful? Why should your definition be the correct one? Does 'fruitful' even have a meaning, since nothing just death matters?
Mats wrote:Life isn't invented, it's a biological coincidence.
It's kinda bold assumtion though.
Mats wrote:Look at the world we know today
See your previous quote. That's a contradiction, isn't it?
Mats wrote:its a bunch of planets circling the sun because of some gravity, our planet was lucky to get right temperature for water and sustaining internal heating, so water starts mixing with stuff and turn into plants, and suddenly mix into moveable things and they eat things and develop, woops life created with no purpose other than surrounding conditions.
See my first post in this thread.
Why the water boils? Noone gave an answer, and I am not surprised. And answer to that question can then be applied to everyting else.
Mats wrote:If you look at the galapagos islands which is islands in the middle of the ocean there are unique species only on those islands which is just volcanos that died out. So stone and water somehow made a island full of nature and life, and they contain all stages of life aswell. Some islands are starting to form life, some are full of life, and on some its dying out.
Occam's razor. Use it.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:It's kinda bold assumtion though.
No it isn't. That's what all the evidence suggests. Given what we know it's the only logical conclusion.
Tigro wrote:Why the water boils? Noone gave an answer, and I am not surprised. And answer to that question can then be applied to everyting else.
Oh please, the simplest of Google searches would give you the answer. Nobody gave an answer because they thought you were joking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_matter
<nick-o-matic> niec

iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Ruben wrote:
Tigro wrote:It's kinda bold assumtion though.
No it isn't. That's what all the evidence suggests. Given what we know it's the only logical conclusion.
Basing everything on coincidences is the laziest theory, lacks logic, and doesn't explain things. :( (fun fact: even me used to like this theory about 15 years ago. Times change though :) )
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Ruben wrote:Oh please, the simplest of Google searches would give you the answer. Nobody gave an answer because they thought you were joking.
Pity that your answer is actually wrong.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:
Ruben wrote:Oh please, the simplest of Google searches would give you the answer. Nobody gave an answer because they thought you were joking.
Okay I don't have the willpower to do this. If you want to live in ignorance feel free. I don't care anymore.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Tigro wrote:
Ok, genuinely curious, what is right answer? =D
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Tigro wrote:Why does a water boil?
It's a trick question, he isn't asking about regular water, he's asking about "a water".
God Bless America
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

Interesting read for sure.

Will have to disagree with Gimp on this one. If the meaning of life is death, then everyone would commit suicide as soon as possible to achieve their meaning for living.

In the Koran (Islamic religion) it talks about 72 virgins awaiting them if they die a certain way. I grew up Protestant and still consider myself today as one. To serve God in whatever way shape or form that is, weather it be tell people about him or live your life to as close as Jesus did. Obviously not that easy to do considering he was perfect but kind of helps guide certain decisions that quite frankly, keep you out of trouble. (Now that I have mentioned God & Jesus, I am sure a few of you have put up a mental block at this point, which is fine, I am almost done my rant)

I agree with Tigro and a few others here mentioning the purpose of life is to reproduce. After having 2 kids, and a 3rd one on the way, I have to say that my kids & wife are the best thing about my life. Protecting them, making sure they are healthy and happy is my number 1 objective for living. Before you have kids, it's hard to fully grasp this concept.

Not what the right answer is to why water boils but I am glad it does cause I think I need this to make delicious pasta dishes. :)
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Tigro tricky man ;)

Let's assume it's not a joke question.
Maybe Tigro wanted to show us that we can't even explain easier questions. Question about boiling seems much easier than the first one about life, but when I'm trying to explain, suddenly becomes very hard.
Shame on me, I'm not sure if I can answer properly (without google ofc; also much harder to write in English). Probably I would try to explain it with growing energy states (growing oscillation of matter-waves/strings if alternative physics :D), H2O molecules move faster and faster as energy climbs, and they start losing their integrity when boiling point is exceeded...
But I'm also really curious about Tigro's opinion.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Memphis wrote:Interesting read for sure.

Will have to disagree with Gimp on this one. If the meaning of life is death, then everyone would commit suicide as soon as possible

I agree with Tigro and a few others here mentioning the purpose of life is to reproduce.
Lets reverse your logic on yourself. does this mean we should all start fucking each other when we grow pubes and girls start their period at 12 years old to reproduce as soon as possible? as I mentioned earlier it is not time sensitive. Death is inevitable, whether you mean to fulfill it or not doesn't matter. I never said the meaning of life would be pleasant, it just is what it is, everything that lives dies.
God Bless America