Alcohol(ism)

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

jblaze
38mins club

Alcohol(ism)

Post by jblaze »

ai worthwhile topic imo, surprised it was not discussed here, at least didnt find
i'll start off with my case. ive been drinking regularly since i was 16 (5 years ongoing) many times did i promise myself to slow down a bit, sometimes with small success, sometimes i would speed up instead. alcohols with over 7% stand for approx 1% of my alcohol consumption. theyre horrible. i dont really like the taste of beer either, more often do i curl my lips instead of drowning in joy.

when i was younger teh ethanol cognitive effects affected me strongly (never to a point that i would go fullidiot with no control, im rather cool-headed regardless of intoxication state). for like 2-3 years it almost doesnt do me at all. my mood and behaviour stay unaffected (i became very open and moderately brave person in sobriety so might be that) why do i drink? usually i dont know, i feel it as a blind habit more than addiction. just a very weak and easy high. i would be happy with drinking only on social events that would "require" it for small boost. i dont see any point to drink alone or with closest friends anymore, i regret it more than enjoy.

i experienced unpleasant and quite strong undiagnosed pain in stomach area that started on fem16 and reached a peak week later after mixing 13 500ml beers with couple energy drinks 2 times during 3 days. similar but weaker pain appears like once a month since then. even that didnt stop me from doing what i dislike (well it did... for 7 days)... gz blaze

it starts to bother me sometimes, i go tryhard now 8)
ive been running an alco-log to be aware of how much i drink since april 2016 but it would look pretty much the same since 2012

values in ml ofc, 1 bottle 500ml ofc

share your unhealthy alco-habits! discuz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
jonsykkel
Kuski

Re: Alcohol(ism)

Post by jonsykkel »

here u can look at other ppls alcoholisms https://kulde.net/bear/
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

al life i drinkked 2 botles of wine and 10~ bear

hlep me i vant drink more

!gofe
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Good topic and post jblaze. Judging by the text it does look like it would be a good idea for you to try to do less alc. From the health perspective ofc (that probably applies to many of us) but also that you recognise it doesn't really give you anything or have a purpose. So hopefully you can stick to your plans!

What comes to my own situation.. well I should do less of it too, for the health reasons. I've been very on and off with drinking throughout the years (because of money and such) but let's say the past three years or so have been a bit crazy. And ever since I lost weight a year ago I feel like the effects are getting even stronger of course.

But unlike you I enjoy my beers. It's such a nice feel to sit in a pub and chat with friends and have a pint with nothing special going on. It doesn't really help that I also have friends working in pubs, I get easily dragged in there even if I'm alone, just to check how they're doing. And then it can of course escalate quickly. And many times I also stumble upon some familiar faces from the times when I was studying etc so now-a-days it really isn't that uncommon that I just go to a pub alone if friends not available and see what happens, it's always fun.

I haven't done that kind of accurate stats about my drinking because it's of course hard to keep up with all that stuff. But here's a common week pattern:

Sunday-Wednesday:
No alcohol

Thursday:
Usually three pints in a pub, it varies depending on the mood. I go to this pub with friends where there is a music room where people can play piano and guitars and when the jam is good I drink more and when it's boring I leave early. Also depends on the next day responsibilities. At the moment I don't really have much to do at work so last week I think I ended up drinking 5 or 6.

Friday:
Come home from work, eat something and then start either beer or irish coffee or something similar. I don't really have any plans other than that I will just drink at home, but usually something comes up and then I find myself in some party or pub with friends.

Saturday:
If don't have anything special to do or responsibilities I might wake up very late due to previous night drinking. If it's already like 15-16 o'clock then I just might start my day with some irish coffee thing and continue with beer and again see what happens. If I wake up earlier or have some things to do then I'll just do them and then start thinking what to do next.

Anyways I guess the point is that if I don't have anything special to do or have some responsibilities I find it hard not to drink, even if I'm at home alone. And tbh I think it has resulted in many good things. And like you it's not that I would need a drink for social things, I'm also quite open and talkative when sober. But now that I think of it I guess the thing is that when I drink I'm less judgemental towards myself. If I'm sober and I get some idea I can end up thinking "no that's fucking stupid don't do anything". But when I've drank some alc the same idea doesn't feel stupid and I'm up for almost anything and I feel like I have the energy to do those things and like I said I think it has resulted in many good things. Edit: not to give it a too positive image, it has also resulted in some things I don't feel good about. I don't know if that's good or bad then.

For me alcohol hasn't caused any physical pain or problems that I know of. But okay let's say it definitely affects my mental state and does some vtf things occasionally. So uh yes I need to stop too. But considering fem for example, I guess I will drink every day because it's fun and I have a short vacation and I'd like to just enjoy it however I want.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i don't understand how can some become an addicted alcoholic
for maybe 8 years i used to drink every day, typically 2-3 beers, but often much more with lots of additional brandy
a few times i was trying to figure out, when was the last day I didn't drink, and it must have been more than 3 months

these days i drink maybe 2 beers a week
I've never tried to stop, it's all caused by different people around, drinking way less than the ones before
[carebox]
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

thats nice to hear ville, it looks better than i could have thought based on your irc manners (maybe im not present enough there to put such conclusions though) keep the control :p

and milagros - loooking at the slim spectrum of boring alcohols effects im about to think the same. its strongly connected with users self-control and vulnerability to addictions

big part of society thinks that there is alcohol+tobbaco and farfar away are drugs. they think alcohol is a bit harmful but its legal so its ok but drugs? omg, junk! its very common way of thinking especially in poland represented by red-faced people with a shape of ball with moustache drinking notoriously. lack of drug knowledge is quite scary, but what can we do, there are no golden solutions when it comes to drug availability.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

milagros wrote:i don't understand how can some become an addicted alcoholic
Usually something bad going on in life triggers it.

You need to drink a lot over a long time to get addicted, everytime you get drunk you push the limit of how much you can drink before getting drunk again. At a certain point in the process it will affect your brain in various ways, aggression, depression, anxiety etc. Then getting sober strengthen all these bad feelings, so you drink more to deal with it and the bad cycle begins.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

I try the same rules as ville_j. It's not always possible, but I'm fine with my bearings. :beer:
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

ended may with a satysfying result of 1,79 bears a day. 0,91 down compared to april, actually heading for 1-1,2 this month. alco can go to hell

stay sober!
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Gz jbl :) :) :)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

How is your progress bro?
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

pretty good, its one of those things where regression is a progess :D reached 1,32 in june but gone down to 0,96 in november! :beer:
doing really well in increasing my hatred towards alco, thanks for asking my dear friend!
im about to take some medical tests regarding my stomach pain which still occurs sometimes, although its not a biggie luckily. better safe than sorry. i hope its just some irrelevant neuralgic stuff
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I started occasionally drinking Tatratea which is really good. Not drinking much, one bottle can take me even a month or so. And dont have enough monies to buy it that much. Currently in half of 52% bottle. Also, it's a great addition to hot black tea, especially in this cold weather.
And jbl, it helps with stomach pains.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

stomach pains could mean like stomach wound or wat to say which could be an effect from too much alco osv, wouldn't recommend pouring more aclo in to the wound if you know what I mean, but also, as a wise man once said 'then again i don't know anything'
ToMaT
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

nice, jbl :) great to hear that.

I sometimes wonder, if I ever was an alcoholic in my life and if people around me are alcoholics (since ppl in Czech Republic consume, according to 2015 WHO data for OECD, the most alcohol per capita - 14,1 litres of pure alcohol a year). Now I am quite sure I am not an alcoholic and I never was. I deffinitely know some ppl around me that have drinking problems, though. But here it is a tradition to drink at every occasion, so no one really cares that much about drunk ppl everywhere.
Just felt like I wanna mention that.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

0,51 beer daily in january, very good entry into 2018. feels veri good
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I have never been a daily drinker, and nowadays i will have one night a month where i overindulge. But now that i am older that is becoming even less appealing as i get these deathly hangovers, sometimes they last 2-3 days after a long night of drinking. Almost not worth it anymore.
God Bless America
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Very nice jbl keep it up :)
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

gimp wrote: 5 Feb 2018, 05:23 Ii get these deathly hangovers, sometimes they last 2-3 days after a long night of drinking. Almost not worth it anymore.
this :/often 2nd day of hangover is paradoxically even more disastrous
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

gimp wrote: 5 Feb 2018, 05:23Almost not worth it anymore.
Was there a time that it was worth it?

Nowadays I am drinking more than ever. Still, my yearly alco intake is somewhere around the amount of gimp's one overindulgence night.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Of the many components that make up overall happiness, short term pleasure (hedonism) is something i think helps me out every now and then, so yes alcohol consumption has been well worth it for me. I'm all about travelling outdoors, feeding the poor, and picking flowers. But every now and then i gotta go out and do hookers and blow. Once this stint of my 20s starts affecting me too much I will stop, i saw this with cigarettes and i quit. If that ain't for you, no judgment, i hope all find happiness in their own way :)
God Bless America
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

i've never understood alcohol addiction. it tastes like shit, makes you feel like shit during and the next morning and is expensive...
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

ile wrote: 8 Feb 2018, 19:59 i've never understood alcohol addiction. it tastes like shit, makes you feel like shit during and the next morning and is expensive...
It happens over a long period of time:

First step is to have a drink when you have a Really bad day instead of drinking on a friday with friends purely for the sake of having fun. When that drink improves your current mood your brain will see it as a quick fix. Also, it's just one beer. One beer shouldn't be a problem. Right?

Assuming you will keep on doing that you will slowly start to see every little moment of misfortune through a negative filter and you start looking for excuses to have a drink. And even if you are not getting drunk at all it can still lead to frequent and even daily drinking. And for a while it might not even seem as a problem since "you are only having a drink or two". This stage usually happens over months and the mental change that is happing can go unnoticed from yourself and others.

During all of that your tolerance is constantly building up since you have successfully included a daily drink in to your routine and it's damn hard to change that. The longer you drink frequently the more you have the urge to have "just" one more drink. As time goes by it's one more. and one more. and one more.

Around that time you start to notice that you actually really need alcohol to feel normal. Everything sucks without it. It's not a reward anymore, it's just a relief. And the lame thing is that in order to enjoy yourself again you need to have drink larger and larger quantities. That's how you personally see it at least. Stopping completely at this phase is hardly an option anymore and due to all the bullshit you would go through with withdrawals it doesn't seem like a way to be happy again.

I don't think you need to get shitfaced and have a major hangover every time in order to build up an addiction. It can be much more subtle than that which is probably how and why it happens in the first place. We are so blind when it comes to certain things. And you often see it only when it's too late.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

ile wrote: 8 Feb 2018, 19:59i've never understood alcohol addiction. it tastes like shit, makes you feel like shit during and the next morning and is expensive...
Brane starts to ignore the taste of alcohol and also enjoy it because associated with nice feelz. Also you dont hev to get shitfaced, coupel drinks every now and then can be a positive ting without shit feelz.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

ile wrote: 8 Feb 2018, 19:59 i've never understood alcohol addiction. it tastes like shit, makes you feel like shit during and the next morning and is expensive...
Not every alcohol tastes like a shit, but many do. People get used to it because it makes people feel "better" for short time. Beside that you don't need to drink a lot everyday to be alcoholic. You can avoid hangover, but not other side effects. Arguably the most affected are people who live with alcoholic, not the ones who drink.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

there was a thought on reddit like that: alcohol makes children feel like grownups and grouwnups feel like children, that's the truth imo
well, on topic, i've not been drinking for about 50 days now due to kidneys illness (not too serious, though my doctor told me not to drink two months before the operation is executed) - VERY HARD this time, cuz i'm quite nervous nowadays, have much work and just need to breathe out which i used to do with alco
what helps me really good - is to dreank sparkling water from glass bottles daily - it feels just like beer bottle as it's glass, sparkling, tastes so that you can't drink a bottle in one sip (atleast i dont like to drink this way) ok
Image Image
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

analcactus wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 11:26 there was a thought on reddit like that: alcohol makes children feel like grownups and grouwnups feel like children, that's the truth imo
well, on topic, i've not been drinking for about 50 days now due to kidneys illness (not too serious, though my doctor told me not to drink two months before the operation is executed) - VERY HARD this time, cuz i'm quite nervous nowadays, have much work and just need to breathe out which i used to do with alco
what helps me really good - is to dreank sparkling water from glass bottles daily - it feels just like beer bottle as it's glass, sparkling, tastes so that you can't drink a bottle in one sip (atleast i dont like to drink this way) ok
What about alco-free :bear: ?
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

ile wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 18:25 What about alco-free :bear: ?
cool bear! does alco-free mean to free up one's alcoholism or decide to remove alcohol from one's life? just to clear this up for me lol
Image Image
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

analcactus wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 18:13
ile wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 18:25 What about alco-free :bear: ?
cool bear! does alco-free mean to free up one's alcoholism or decide to remove alcohol from one's life? just to clear this up for me lol
Probably 0% alcohol beer products
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

Zero wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 19:28 Probably 0% alcohol beer products
wish it was so ez! i'm very nervous and quick-tempered person and rather than be always on medicals (light ones , no idea about how they could be named in your area, NOT like xanax tho i tried it a few times back then but it's another story) i'd rather sip vodka, as i actually prefer it over almost any alcohol, or beer/cider is oki
the only change for alco that looks working for me is doing hard routine daily , not even physical but it's more about consciousness like meditation, diary and medium texts for my channel in telegram (i write about my daily stuff like lections i visit, about news and stuffs, nothing special, but it makes me calm for a few hours)
well, also i would like to add that i am very soon 26 and been drinking beer since i think 11 or 12 and vodka i first tasted in 13, and there were years of me drinking very much, not like now, when i relatively easily cane drink not a single shot or bottle for a week or two
i've no idea how does that work axxually but my stress seems to accumulate and then i become angry for a little reasons which wouldn't drop me into that state and then i really want to drown this anger in a bottle
Image Image