the experience of death

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ribot
Not banned

the experience of death

Post by ribot »

Have you ever thought about that moment when you know you're gonna die? It's not about how you will die, but in the process of dying, at some point your mind will just accept that you are dying. You are still alive for some moments, you might even be able to say a few words to the people who are there.

In the case of a slower death, you could even arrange your life accordingly. Who would you talk to? Who would you make peace with? Who would you forgive and who would you apologize to?

How would you like to leave this life? How would you leave things behind, and what message from you would you like to be kept in this world?

Some people think you shouldn't think about death, but why? Death is one of the most sure things we will all face, and it can give a perspective on life.

Suppose for example you have some really good friends that you meet very seldom. You don't even meet them once a year. How many times will you realisticially meet them again? What would you say to them if you knew it was the last time you met?

Another point is that if you do make up with some old friends, you might actually have some more moments together as friends.

It's easy to think that you're gonna do all of this later, but there is no guarantee for that. You could die any day and then it might already be too late for these questions.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Ruben
Kuski

Re: the experience of death

Post by Ruben »

I will now talk about myself for a bit, be warned.

I think about death every now and again, and feel like it's not very different from faling asleep. In both cases there's some veil that I have to pass through, and I'm forced to relinquish control of my body. I'm not afraid of death, and always get a bit perplexed by religious types who spend their lives convincing themselves there's an afterlife because they are so afraid of dying. I'm much more afraid of other people dying, like my family or friends, because I'm the one who is left behind helplessly asking why. Likewise I'm afraid of how much I would hurt them if I died, and I think there was a time in my life when that was the single thought that kept me from killing myself. It sounds horrific, I know, but I'm well past it and it feels like it was in another life now. Most of all I'm afraid of pain, so pls don't torture me oke.

Very recently I asked myself "if I knew I would die in just hours or minutes, what would I do? Who would I talk to? What would I say to them?" I know the exact answer to that question, so doing those very things have now become the biggest part of my life without a doubt. To put it in metaphoric terms: My whole life I've sailed way out into the ocean with no goal in mind, and now finally I'm trying to make my way back to shore, to land in a very specific place. But it's not easy cause I never learned how to sail.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Tigro
Kuski

Re: the experience of death

Post by Tigro »

ribot wrote:Have you ever thought about that moment when you know you're gonna die?
Yes.
ribot wrote:Who would you talk to? Who would you make peace with? Who would you forgive and who would you apologize to?
I don't actually care that much.
ribot wrote:Some people think you shouldn't think about death, but why?
I think because it scares them and they have no prospect for the possible future.
ribot wrote:What would you say to them if you knew it was the last time you met?
"Tak určite", "Kajšmentke" and "Dobre No". No matter what country they are from. (This is actually a joke). I'd probably hug them and say I love them (provided I do).

I don't find it scary. And it's not just words on lauta. I mean it.