How to go from "I should do this" to doing it?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

How to go from "I should do this" to doing it?

Post by kuchitsu »

I know I should go to bed earlier but I stay up late every night.
I know I should do what I promised but I'm procrastinating.
I know I should meet people more often but I avoid them.
I know I should eat less sweets but I consume them a lot.
I know I should exercise more but I just sit on my chair.

What am I missing? Do I have control over myself?
Tigro
Kuski

Re: How to go from "I should do this" to doing it?

Post by Tigro »

Actually, pretty much what ile said.
Once you start "just doing it" and keeping it up for a bit, going for one more day will be a little bit easier. And another, and another, and another.
The very first one is really problematic, I know. But you just got to do it. And keep on doing it.

And don't try BS like listening to motivational music osv. Not only that it doesn't work, it even virtually transfers the responsibility from you not doing it onto "that music doesn't help at all". But you are responsible for your actions (or inactivity, for that matter). So do it.

Make a strategical plan, even. Tell it to someone, who can hold you accountable. Tell your brother - If I don't turn off my PC at 22:00, come to me, turn it off and tell me to go to bed. osv
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

I know I should go to bed earlier but I stay up late every night.
Why do you need to go to bed early? Do you need to wake up early? Think about that. Think about the awesome feeling of energy you have after a good nights sleep. Don't only think about "going to sleep early" Think about the goal and the how will come after.
I know I should do what I promised but I'm procrastinating.
Can't help you there lol
I know I should meet people more often but I avoid them.
I know I should eat less sweets but I consume them a lot.
Eat fruit instead? edit: also you might be undereating on carbohydrates. If you're full on real food you (probably) won't be craving for candy. At least not as much.
I know I should exercise more but I just sit on my chair.
Exercise feels awesome, or at least the time after exercise. For example: I started running about 2 years ago and I can't imagine ever stopping, unless it's to switch to something similar like cycling. It just feels too good to do it, so why not do it? Don't tell me you feel good just sitting at home playing video games...I refuse to believe that.

that's my motivation speech for u xD
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Team SPEED

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Little bit of a backstory first.

I was at my workplace the other day, late afternoon, quite burned out and bored of work, but I still had stuff to do. So I went for a walk around the building and I was thinking about some solution that would help me to enjoy even stuff that I hate doing. Knowing I love games and gaming in general I realized I would really enjoy something that would give me virtual rewards for stuff I do. Something that would make quests from everything I do at work. At first I was like: "oh man, that's a fucking briliant idea, let's drop my job, hire few IT guys and make some fukin money!". I quickly realized there's no way I would organize anything as cool as that and also that someone probably had similar idea already, so I went back to my office, did some googling and I found https://habitica.com/.

First you create a chracter and then you get experience, gold and (at higher levels) equipment for doing task that you create and complete.
You have 3 types of tasks: habit (e.g. taking stairs instead of the elevator, if you can), daily (e.g. brushing your teeth) and To-Do, which is one-time task (e.g. finishing a project at work¨).
The interface is not super intuitive at times, but so far I like Habitica a lot.

TL;DR
Try this app to "gamify your life". It is fun to get EXP for simple stuff you do every day :)

P.S. is anyone already using Habitica? There's stuff like parties and guilds and atm I have no idea how they work.
edit: ok, I just realized you can create a "party" with just 1 member, me, and do the quest. cool.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

we all have our shud do's but orka. For me going to bed early or practicing something everyday is ezik, but drinking less gofe or seeing people impsy.

In my experience when you get on the routine of doing something it becomes much easier, the first 1-3 days are difficult. After let's say 20-30 days comes another barrier which is adopting the new routine as a lifestyle, at this point you can probably re-evaluate is it really important enough.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

To start doing what you think you should be doing just change what you think you should be doing to what you have been doing.
God Bless America