Tips for travelling

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Kokso
Kuski

Tips for travelling

Post by Kokso »

Hey guys,
Me and my girlfriend are planning to go travel around Europe since september. We are starting our journey in the Baltic countries (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia) and then Poland. I know there's a lot of people from all around Europe (and world) in Elma community so I would really appreciate if anyone could give some advise and tips from locals. Especially what to see, eat and drink :D.
I'm looking forward for your replies.
Thanks
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: Tips for travelling

Post by pawq »

Sounds like a great trip! Never visited the east-baltic trio, but I think the most recommendable cities in Poland are Gdańsk (or the whole seaside tricity - Gdańsk, Sopot & Gdynia), I guess Warsaw, Wrocław, Toruń, and definitely Kraków (and some things around it, like Auschwitz or Wieliczka - a super old/big/famous salt mine).

Just north of the tricity is a lovely peninsula, which divides the warm/shallow/calm bay and the cold/deep/wavy open sea. It's basically a strip of forest across the sea, with beaches on both sides pretty much along the whole length. A great place to chill for a few days, do some water sports and eat lots of fish :)

A short drive east of Gdańsk is a large region of forests and lakes, the main areas being: Kaszubski Park Krajobrazowy, Wdzydzki Park Krajobrazowy, and National Park of Bory Tucholskie. Again a great place to chill, perfect above all for sailing or canoeing.

The other national favourite is the mountain ranges across the south, but it's largely shared with Slovakia, so probably fairly familiar to you :) Still, might be worth a visit, from the western ranges of Karkonosze, Sudety and Góry Stołowe, through the tallest and most rocky Tatra mountains, to the more foresty Pieniny further east and the very foresty Bieszczady in the far east.

I'd be happy to talk if there's anything you want to know about Poland or particular places, just drop me a pm here or on Discord =)
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

How are you traveling, by own car?

If so, at least in Latvia be prepared for other kuskis to overtake you in such spots that there will be three cars driving side by side on a two-lane road. Also at least in some parts in Latvia the speed limits seemed to be tied to traffic signs that only had text, so dunno watefak speed to drive. Or maybe the traffic there just sails at random speeds.

For local food in Riga I can recommend two places:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... egion.html
A bit outside of the city center. Very small lunch place, with simple food. Wonder if it still exists?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... egion.html
This one is on the outskirts of the old town, not one of those tourist traps. Great local food!

I can also recommend pawq as a guide in Poland.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

If you're ever in Riga, see if Cuba Bar still exists. If it does, and it's still as good as when we were there, they have the best mojito I've ever had, and a whole bunch of other absolutely excellent drinks =D
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Kokso
Kuski

Post by Kokso »

Thanks guys for the great tips. I'll be happy to let you know if we made it to those places. Especially the place in Poland looks really cool and we will surely vist it :)