Level maker of 2021 - unofficial poll

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

'Levmaker' of 2021 (3 votes)

AndrY
No votes
BlaZtek
2%
Bludek
2%
Chris
5%
DIvAn
No votes
DewwCraft
10%
Dorknoob
No votes
Mielz
2%
Nekit
No votes
Pocho
5%
ROKKEBOL
2%
Ramone
10%
Sla
7%
TL
5%
ThanaTos
No votes
Xira
No votes
barryp
12%
berh
No votes
farnsworth
No votes
iCS
No votes
insguy
No votes
jblaze
2%
jonsta
17%
juka
2%
k0en
3%
kuchitsu
No votes
roope
No votes
tej
3%
umiz
10%
zo3
3%

Total votes: 60

Pocho
Kuski
Team: CMR

Level maker of 2021 - unofficial poll

Post by Pocho »

Here's the 30 kuskis (max number) who've submitted more battles in 2021 up until 26/12/2021 GMT 0330

• Please carefully select up to 3 level makers, and feel free to justify your votes in the comments
  • The standards are whatever you want them to be
  • Feel free to link to a specific level, if you think it's worth it for people to see
  • Don't forget to drive faster
Feel free to delet dis poll if it's illegal (for an unbeknownst reason)

Regardless of the results, if you're on this list, I think it's safe to say you're a big reason why EOL is such a small-but-active community up until this day. Cheers to you!

Pocho :beer:
Last edited by Pocho on 26 Dec 2021, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Pocho
Kuski

Re: Level maker of 2021 - unofficial poll

Post by Pocho »

My picks:

1. barryp - His levels rarely (if ever) drop the ball. His levels impacted me the most eversince I came back to the EOL scene last year. His aesthetic decorations are always on par of his high-standard quality of levels (aka; polygons drawn, vertices with a crisp definition in terms of inputs needed to do specific moves, overall balanced levels through and through).

2. jonsta - I'm sure he's the top pick for most. Just the sheer amount of levels battled, paired with such quality polygons (which often allow multi-type moves/styles as well as routes). Aesthetics are always good, if not completely overwhelming, as per seen in his renowned FF battles like these ones: -https://elma.online/levels/510451 -https://elma.online/battles/169487.

3. zo3 - His GRID levpack/series are really high quality and enjoyable, imho. Also almost always very short 10-20 minutes, normal battles... And usually require some extreme moves to have wintime, or even to be able to finish! I remember playing his levels early on and thinking, hmm time??! I didn't know zo3 from my previous appearances in the scene, and was also gladly delighted with his GRID series, which to me puts him up there with the rest.

That's my top 3. If I feel like it, I will give my opinion on other levmakers that didn't make my top 3. Cheers <3
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Post by iltsu »

My picks: Chris, Barryp and k0en.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

chris - always capable of producing easy short normal when needed, and even good apples
dewwcraft - rising prodigy, big improvement through 2021, many big FFs and normals too
ramone - amazing quality (although it takes long time to produce), see twenty pack, huge FFs, WC8 levs, long lev packs
Pocho
Kuski

Post by Pocho »

Hosp was left out of top 30 (most battles started) because of a mistake. Sorry :/
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

It's great to have this kind of poll for a while! As a devout TAPper, my votes go to (old) TAP members like jonsta, umiz and Ramone, but I think there are very many other good designers as well. Keep up the good work :)
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Many very good levelmakers it is! All on list would get my vote if psy.

I love DewwCrafts development, he has a good passion for the game and the levels.
Jonsta-levels just stuns me. Always good! I hope though that he isn't afraid of doing "bad" levels with little effort, those levels are needed also.
Barryp - great levels with polygons of an artist!
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

zebra wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 08:39 It's great to have this kind of poll for a while! As a devout TAPper, my votes go to (old) TAP members like jonsta, umiz and Ramone, but I think there are very many other good designers as well. Keep up the good work :)
Thanks man! Love ya
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Pocho wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 19:25 Hosp was left out of top 30 (most battles started) because of a mistake. Sorry :/
Hosp levels are fantastic!
Pocho
Kuski

Post by Pocho »

Oke. Here's my unsolicited opinion on a wider list of levelmakers (besides my top 3). I just mean to express my views, because I love seeing other people's works. It's inspiring (not only for elma stuff, ofc).

Andry - OMG! Crazy nice effort levels he did recently. If he made more of these, probably would be in my top 3. https://elma.online/battles/168454 and https://elma.online/battles/168451.

BlaZtek - Really great level maker. Very consistent levels, always pretty nice looking and following a clear pattern. I don't think he's getting the love he deserves with just one vote up until now... Don't miss his level making guide ;) https://youtu.be/u610Fvdb0Xg

Bludek - Another solid level maker. Often with several routes, moves and styles hard to reproduce in-battle. I like a lot his levels... if only he were more active!

Chris - Just 'amazing' Apple battles! His short normal battles are always needed for EOL to be active, so thank you for that, Chris :>

DIvAn - I don't think he talks or sees this, but I enjoy some of his levels. He doesn't seem to put extra effort on many of them. If only he did that, he would be up there with the rest :)

DewwCraft - Just amazing effort levels, including some epic FF battles. Some of the best stuff I've seen this year came from him. Gotta love those DewwSpots! :D)

Dorknoob - Seriously? Zero votes?! I think he is up there with anyone, especially with his new style/mechanic of Internal Level remixing that really works! His levels are an inspiration to me.

Mielz - I think I've only seen FFs from Mielz myself, and they are great! Not exactly easy, not exactly hard. Just a great midspot. Please keep those degFFs coming dude!

Nekit - Some great artsy stuff. If only he tested more!

ROKKEBOL - I still need to see more of his levels. He did a few remixes, but I'd like to see more original ideas from him.

Ramone - Nothing to comment, just maybe the best level maker there is, up there with jonsta and barryp, IMO. Awaiting for his 2022 epic FF!

Sla - I didn't know Gsla and Gsla2 style levels. I love them, and now that I'm close with him, and have made some collab levels with him, I can testify he is amazing at level-making. His Slaba and Holy series may seem simple, but it's underapreciated, imho. Keep up the good work, my friend!

TL - If only he started battles earlier in the day. I think his chaotic style is underappreciated!

ThanaTos - He came back very late in 2021 for me to say, probably a great level maker.

Xira - I like your style. I'd say, don't be afraid of stepping outside what is normal. Let that creativity flow in ways unexpected.

berh - I liked your simple levels early this year, if only you kept uploading battles!

iCS - I loved some of the levels he makes. I wish to see more in 2022.

insguy - Obviously a masterful level maker. Some epic battles by him... also need to see more!

jblaze - I like your style, dude... Seems similar to mine tbh. If only we can see some more effort levs by you in 2022.

k0en - Someday I will try to learn how to pie... and probably I will start with your eznek pack. They seem incredibly smooth. Makes me wonder how you acheive that!

roope - Often ez looking levels, that are actually very hard to master! I enjoy your levels, they often require concentration to perform well at them!

tej - Obviously a great level maker. I love your style. One of the best elma experiences I witnessed was this one: https://elma.online/battles/158611, even if it was 2020.

umiz - Great level maker, surely better than me. His style is always refreshing and weird. Elma doesn't need to be a place for 'normal' looking levels, and your levels are proof!

Hosp - I loved some of your battles, early in the year... like this one: https://elma.online/levels/500430. Some amazing battles often hard to figure out the styles/moves. Keep up the great work!

Oke ppl, have a great New Years eve, and cheers to you, for a great 2022. x
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

well well well.. first of all i have to say level making is in quite bad state nowadays, we are far from the golden days of good levels and level packs. that's of course understandable because of the nature of battles; it's like fast food people want to have quickly and afterwards throw the garbage out. despite my poor lev rating values in general i managed to pick the three best level makers from the list above.

jonsta can make a great lev. not all of his levels are good, but i've played some very pleasant ones (needless to say they've been the longer levels rather than short ones). it feels a bit like blast from the past in a nice way.

chris manages to make nice simple levels. the shape of polygons are visually appealing, levs generally have a nice style and are somewhat effortless to play. sometimes there are real annoying pixel flowers. also his apple battles are the best ones.

umiz is the most unique and recognizable designer. the levels look fun(ny) and he seems to think outside the box. the levels are usually complex, long, hard and interesting – it feels like opening a present each time entering a new battle from him. unfortunately he also often resorts to annoying trick-pony-spots, spin stuff or mongo ends, but the rest of the content is surely fascinating.
Dorknoob
Kuski

Post by Dorknoob »

I voted tej, umiz, and ramone (in no specific order).

There's a handful of others that also make really great levels. I don't feel the need to mention them, cuz then there's always gonna be one that's left out. I'm sure you know who you are.

Why these 3: enjoyable battles is part of it. But more than that because of creative and inspiring level making style.

Tej: nice medium/high speed levels and interesting/creative ideas. I find higher speed levels harder to make without letting them become boring speed loops (but not tej somehow).

Ramone: Simple and creative idea's that end up being really interesting to play, especially short hoyla's.

Umiz: Great abstract weird level art that's inconvenient to drive but interesting to style find in, and often crazy alternate routes. I try to make levels like this sometimes but sometimes just doesn't work. Also many high speed parts that are really nice to play.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

is the poll over?

GZ jonsta imo :beer:
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

well deserved imo
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Protip: when running poll like this set an amount of days it should run for, otherwise level maker of 2021 could keep changing ten years from now.