Fancied future Featured Level feature duration?

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

Fancied Featured Level duration?

1 day
25%
2 days
6%
3 days
6%
5 days
No votes
7 days
63%

Total votes: 16

abruzzi
Kuski

Fancied future Featured Level feature duration?

Post by abruzzi »

Some time ago I talked briefly with Kopaka and Markku and there seems to be a possibility to actually engineer the Featured Level feature, maybe after the World Cup.

For those, who have never heard about the idea - a level would be on, preferably downloadable from EOL with Ctrl-F11 or something like that, for a fixed period of time. During this time everyone can enter and play, like in an event, and in the morning, when the time ends, the winner would be revealed and some EOL badge would be granted.

The goals of this undertaking are:
  • reminding the players of some older packs and injecting some dose of nostalgy
  • rising the knowledge level about the pack creators and how levels looked in the past
  • bringing some recognition to the hidden gems that have been carefully prepared by the levmakers, but often weren't hoyled enough
  • creating some extra opportunity for "packers" like adi or skint0r and other daily battlers to find out about other packs and compete in chosen levels
The levels would be chosen in advance for a month by some EOL Moderator or they would be suggested and randomly chosen in the mornings.

The question is about the duration. Would you rather want it to be shorter, like 1-3 days for a level, so we could rediscover more levels yearly, and you wouldn't have to curiously wait so long for another gem, or would you like this thing to last for 5-7 days, leaning towards the lengths of the FMW and WC events, making it more serious and producing better replays?
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Re: Fancied future Featured Level feature duration?

Post by zebra »

Best idea in years!
Would the best replay be public?
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

There are advantages and disadvantages for both shorter and longer options, but I picked seven days. In one week you should always find time to check out the lev and the replay, if they are around just for one day you can't keep up with the pace and lose interest soon. Also if you check out the lev early and like it, you'll probably have time to höyl it on some day, with one day time period you might not have time even if would like.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

It doesn't have to be fixed, does it? 2-4 days for relatively short and simple levs, 5-8 days for trickier and longer adventure levs . Also maybe a couple of special one day events for some intense 24 hour hoyling sessions.

Btw it's super exciting to hear about all these recent technical advancements in EOL, really shows that the community is still alive and thriving. :beer:
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

super nice idea! maybe make it possible to change duration according to lev type/lenght?
also: How to enter levs? :)
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

My onion from discord:
[14:58] pawq: but tbh I think daily wouldn't really work, if it changes too quickly people would lose track and then interest, apart from those few that have enough time to hoyl every day
[14:58] pawq: I think weekly is a perfect length for everyone to realise what the lev is and maybe play a litel among battling and contests if interested
[14:59] pawq: would probably be quite competitive for some, but what would make it very different to all other contests is that the levs would have already been hoyled before to some extent, so there'd be benchmarks/recs/etc
Agree 100% with Orcc. And while changing "battle" length for particular levels is traditional in elma, I think the beauty of a long-lasting casual event like this (and obviously like fmw) is that you always know what to expect - "renaults" and new lev on sunday evening or whatever, so if you suddenly regain some interest 2 months on, you know that there will be a lev on and that it'll be running until the end of the week, no need to check deadlines etc. So I think weekly is the perfect duration :)

Also, I think it might be worth running "featured pack of the month" in parallel, on similar basis :)
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

I'd say one day. Would be perfect.

We already have fmw for 1 week hoylings.
Seize the day
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I also think that 1 day would be ok. Something for packers, something for daily battlers who want to have some more fun. Nothing that very serious that every Kazan has to play every event, just some players popping in and checking "hey what's on today?". Also, we have basically countless levels that were underplayed or just we had less skill in like 2003. Would be better to try out 365 yearly than 52. It doesn't have to be as serious as FMW, I'm sure many connoisseurs would pop in daily even if not everybody can play every day. If you like the level - ok nice, pop in for 2 hours and let's see how you do. Bigger chance for regular medicore players who don't stand a chance against Kazan, jaytea and other AKBs. Imo fun. Results in the morning, not in 7 days. 7 days waiting for another lev while you are curious what the next pack you will get to know about is? Boring. We had 60 min mopobattles. Next stop is 7 days? I don't agree. Should be something inbetween. This contest fits perfectly.