yet another poll about stini, enigma, and bounce legitness

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

the pool where 90% of people vote in favor of legitness

stini's bug is not legit, so revert to best legit time in next table
23%
stini's bug is not legit, but keep it because it was once by mistake allowed
51%
stini's bug is in fact legit, so please stop arguing whether to keep it or not
26%

Total votes: 47

anonymous32
Kuski

yet another poll about stini, enigma, and bounce legitness

Post by anonymous32 »

let it here be determined if people really are in favor of future record-table legitness.

as a follow-up to "cancel stini's enigma wr?" topic --
Lukazz wrote:
seems legit, let's do it
note that such a revert has been done in the past (through the cause of cheating, though).

edit: just a sane and due movement towards a more professional and respectable topic title.
Last edited by anonymous32 on 31 Oct 2011, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Re: the petition where 90% of people

Post by Bludek »

why do you care so much about Stini's record to be removed?
There were many discussions about it in the past. Nothing will change now. It's officially legit and it will stay like that.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I don't think it should be removed. It's hard to determine what's bug and what not. Stini's bounce looks max impossible in my eyes, but on the other hand, Thunder's bounce is even stronger and looks fine to me since I've got many bounces like that... Let it be as it is.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Stini's rec isn't even buggy, gtfo. :)

No.
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

I respect all your answers. However, I thought it was granted that bounces were bugs.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Then why the focus on stini's enigma, why not ALL enigma wrs with bounces, all lab pro and bowling, all labyrinth, all hifly?
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Because most bugs are legit.

See, I am not sure most people who voted were well-enough aware of the terminology to warrant their voting in the first place.

It might have been a mistake to treat this issue democratically. Consensus through intelligent and informed discussion might have been a better choice.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

anonymous32 wrote:It might have been a mistake to treat this issue democratically. Consensus through intelligent and informed discussion might have been a better choice.
Well you wouldn't have been part of that intelligent discussion, that's for sure))
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

anonymous32 wrote:Because most bugs are legit.

See, I am not sure most people who voted were well-enough aware of the terminology to warrant their voting in the first place.

It might have been a mistake to treat this issue democratically. Consensus through intelligent and informed discussion might have been a better choice.
You must be trolling. You've come in here, attempted to insult our intelligence and yet countered your own argument more effectively than anyone else could all in one post. :D

Bye.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Certain type of bounces are prone to bugs, these occur in bowling, enigma, hang tight to name a few. However, many type of bounces aren't bugs at all. Bounces for example in serpents tale or islands in the sky wouldn't be affected at all if the "bug" was fixed.

That being said enigma WR is a bug, but bugs have been accepted before that, like ramone hang tight WR from 2000. It was always up to the WR updater to decide what's a legit amount of velocity gained from a bounce. Stini's record was accepted by px and that's it, what we should discuss about are the unconfirmed bugs in enigma and possibly other levs.
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Zweq wrote:However, many type of bounces aren't bugs at all.
This is precisely what I was talking about. I thought all kinds of bounces were bugs. Furthermore, I thought it was the consensus around here. I am baffled. (Seriously.)
SveinR
Moporator

Re: yet another poll about stini, enigma, and bounce legitne

Post by SveinR »

All bounces were (fortunate) bugs in Across. In Elma however, Balazs deliberately did not remove bounces because of the great gameplay effects they gave, hence they should no longer be considered bugs. Likewise with the supervolt.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

That, or the unintended (although fortunate) result springing from the common physical model from which both Across and Elma were built.

I get the point you are making, though. All might be a matter of perspective. It is hard for me to form an opinion considering what you are bringing.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

isn't it possible to represent a bounce as an acceleration graph ? it would be interesting to see each rec's curve;

and maybe after many deliberations determine a value afterwhich a bounce is considered as a bug. or not.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

christ, I expressed that idea ages ago, in various forms, including comparisons of energy... nobody seemed to care :/
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well like sveinr implied, bug is an unintended feature, that's the very definition. Bounces were apparently intended for elma, but the ones that give wheel some weird reactions were not. It doesn't matter if that reaction is small or big, it's still a bug (even if it's weaker than "intended bounce"). Only reasonable fix for this is complete removal (of the bug from elma code (edit))
klisse
Kuski

Post by klisse »

What about levels like Animal Farm, Shelf Life, Sink where wheels squeezes into small areas, isn't that the same as bug bug-bounce? Why should they be legit?
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

I suggest that what should be considered legit is what could be considered with technique "reproducible."
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Stini's rec is reproducable.
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

It must be kept in mind though that, to date, 70% of voters have considered the bounce as "illegit."

It would be nice if some of them could explain the reasons they have considered it as, let it be put that way, "flunking admissibility."
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Boy, do you try hard to sound smart.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

The fact remains that we've had this conversation ~10000 times in the past, getting less and less frequent as time as gone on, and here is how the polls have ended throughout time:

it's a bug, remove teh: 0 wins
it's a bug, leave teh: 9001 wins
it's no bug, fuck you bro: 999 wins

We can go ahead and throw definitions behind it, but if they decide on friday "lol the queen and her family actually has no royal blood at all roflcakes" they aren't going to chuck her out at the age of oldasfuck.
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Haruhi wrote:We can go ahead and throw definitions behind it, but if they decide on friday "lol the queen and her family actually has no royal blood at all roflcakes" they aren't going to chuck her out at the age of oldasfuck.
I get what you are meaning, Haruhi.

You may agree with me, though, that, at second glance, the real argument might simply be whether the bounce is to be considered legit or not. Furthermore, I believe it in fact is necessary to, as you are putting it, "throw definitions behind it." However, not necessarily to change the WR-table contents, as I above implied, but at least to move towards all being on the same wavelength.

Of course, the contents of that discussion still are to be determined. Mathematical modeling? I am hungry for it. Practical-reproducibility concerns? I am listening. (And so forth.)
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Igge wrote:Boy, do you try hard to sound smart.
Igge, perhaps you are right, and I actually am trying hard to sound smart. However, to move it towards you, why would you not, just for once in this topic, put some effort into sounding relevant?
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Alright well, here:

On reproducability: The bounce is entirely reproducable.

On legitimacy: I personally think the replay is legitimate, but most people don't. However, i note here that Thunder's bounce had no bug in it, got a faster bounce and ended at 19.16 as well.

On mathematics: Maybe if there was a way of plotting the "speed" of a rec that eol reads, we could compare the speed gain on this bounce and on many other bounce recs, and perhaps set a limit as to the maximum instant gain in speed allowed before it became classed as a "bug." This might already be possible with elmanager or something similar.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

enigma nonbug limit is around 19.4x, 19.5x and that's being 0.2 ahead of stini rec, assuming bugbounce was unintended and 'normal' bounce intended.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Zweq wrote:enigma nonbug limit is around 19.4x, 19.5x and that's being 0.2 ahead of stini rec, assuming bugbounce was unintended and 'normal' bounce intended.
wat? i don't see any bugs here http://up.k10x.net/jetszenicghju/47mi1914SL.rec
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I don't think we should be looking at the pop. A bounce can be buggy without a visible pop. Math is the only way to decide on the legitness of bounces imo. Something like this: if speed is higher after bounce then before, it's buggy. Simple enough? If not, explain why that wouldn't be fair/accurate.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

ez 17.0x
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Lousku wrote:I don't think we should be looking at the pop. A bounce can be buggy without a visible pop. Math is the only way to decide on the legitness of bounces imo. Something like this: if speed is higher after bounce then before, it's buggy. Simple enough? If not, explain why that wouldn't be fair/accurate.
I recall that when mila was making the speedometer for eol he said it was impossible to make such accurate for replays.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Kopaka wrote:
Lousku wrote:I don't think we should be looking at the pop. A bounce can be buggy without a visible pop. Math is the only way to decide on the legitness of bounces imo. Something like this: if speed is higher after bounce then before, it's buggy. Simple enough? If not, explain why that wouldn't be fair/accurate.
I recall that when mila was making the speedometer for eol he said it was impossible to make such accurate for replays.
Can still analyse recs and get the data somehow!
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Well one thing that people forget often is that Stinis bounce got much of its force on the alo he used there. That's what makes calculating much harder also, you should calculate the force added in volt.

anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

yeah, alo at 7:xx matters much for getting ridiculous bugbounces
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Zweq wrote:enigma nonbug limit is around 19.4x, 19.5x [...]
Err... mila's 17,04 is perfectly acceptable!
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

anonymous32 wrote:
Igge, perhaps you are right, and I actually am trying hard to sound smart. However, to move it towards you, why would you not, just for once in this topic, put some effort into sounding relevant?

nicely igge punished \\\o
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

abruzzi wrote:
anonymous32 wrote:

nicely igge punished \\\o
Anonymous "Vlad Veselov" got teh wordish skillz