Top lists in edq

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

Do you want top list in edq?

Poll ended at 16 Nov 2012, 14:21

NO
67%
Yes (top3)
24%
Yes (top5)
10%

Total votes: 42

Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Top lists in edq

Post by Labs »

Now you can decide..
Ecchi
39mins club

Re: Top lists in edq

Post by Ecchi »

Chose top3, just cus certain levs like tunnel its funny to see kazan and zweq having stronk time and then some random nab is 3 second slower)))
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

democracy sucks
Mielz
35mins club

Post by Mielz »

Chose no, even if proposed top3 too in the topic.

Maybe top3 could be shown in the outro, instead of during wr rides? Would be better option imo.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Absolutely no point in showing them in outro, no one of nabs would know which levs are which anyway and care to rewind 54+ times for each lev, and everyone else knows times anyway.
top3 isn't distracting, especially with a fade out after 3sec, so voted for that option.
Jarkko
Kuski

Post by Jarkko »

Yeah, where is option to top5 and top10 in outro. Maybe no point, but it's not harming anyone, even if there is whole WR history in there.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Jarkko wrote:Yeah, where is option to top5 and top10 in outro. Maybe no point, but it's not harming anyone, even if there is whole WR history in there.
+1

and top3 or whatever is distracting -.- you look either at the top3, or at the rec. when you're looking at the top3 - you're distracted from the rec. when you're looking at the rec anyway - why the hell do you need the top3??
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Voted top5. If so retard that you can be distracted reading 5 numbers in 5 seconds and don't see start of rec, then you deserve to miss start of rec. Rewind in shame.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Haruhi wrote:Voted top5. If so retard that you can be distracted reading 5 numbers in 5 seconds and don't see start of rec, then you deserve to miss start of rec. Rewind in shame.
I really suggest you to actually try this. You may just realize the retard you are. It's not just 5 numbers, it's way fucking more. Five different names, 5 different times, many different numbers, how are the times related to the wr time / other times...... unless you understand all this perfectly within the first seconds, the information lying there is completely unnecessary.

Edit:
I have absolutely nothing against including world top-1000 times for individual levels in the credits.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

yes, that's why voted NO. it's mainly for the non-scene people, how can they know what the heck is going on with diff nicknames suddenly. TO EACH LEVEL there is PERSCRIBED ONE SYMBOL - THE WR HOLDER, and I'm sure you'll agree that the WR holder by holding the WR and by sharing the rec deserves to be combined with the level alone, and not being messed up with some other nicks who aren't WR holders! even if it's a shadow WR! that's how competition works either you win or you are lost no matter if you lost 0-10 or 9-10
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

As a test i asked a few friends who've seen EDQ before that used to play elma most casually in the past, at school computers and so on and at one point maybe actually had the game installed jadda jadda. 2 out of 3 wouldnt mind seeing a top 3 etc, or rather pay much attention to it (if its there its there, if not then not) but none of them would actually care since names are just names and the numbers are just numbers. None elma players hardly knows whether 0,14s is close to a wr or even 1,5s (which is something that differs greatly from level to level)

I vote for no top 3/5
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Thundr- knows what's up. Changed my mind and voted no.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I don't want to read any fucking stats during watching the replays. Look at the previous EDQs and their simplicity, isn't it perfect like that?
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

it definitely is, it's not some statistics movie, edq is firm, simple and shockingly pro
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

agree with goo.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Wow, i perceive these vids very differently from others it seems, i don't like how previous edqs were made. I'll watch the upcoming one for styles once, then watch it again much later only for nostalgic purposes, remembering good old times, kuskis, style development and other useless junk no one else gives a crap about. Come to think of it, i probably care more about historical things/milestones rather than a flashy movie itself. E.g. when i was actively playing, i used to know most notable wrs in every int by heart: times, names, what was new in that ride unless it was never shared etc etc, and every thought about some wr triggered a chain reaction of other scene-related thoughts. Top3-5s in the vid would help triggering the same effect and relive those old moments easier and deeper:p whatever though >:D
p.s. 4am post, prolly unreadable
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Agree with anp. It's separate to my earlier point but what he said is also definitely true to me also.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Why not put the top-x times as captions, both in the mkv and on youtube? That way you can turn them off.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Great idea.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

i suppose they'd look terrible as captions, but i like the idea because it'd be possible to turn them off :D
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

I do agree some with Anp, however not all top-n times are old wrs or part of any "development", some top-n times we probably dont even know are there and by whom cuz someone randomly made teh, didnt share rec/announced time on lauta or whateverdafuq etc so that "nostalgia feeling" kinda trails down in some areas. Who is number 4 on Uphill Battle? What time and when did he make that time with what style and how did this affect the current wr time? I dont know. I dont care. Simply displaying a top5 list in this movie isnt gonna answer most of those questions either.

But this brings up a more interesting point on how everyone perceive these videos. I for one has always perceived it as a sort of "community speedrun". Similar to if you youtube any other speedrun where people of any game community combine their best times throughout the games existence to make the best possible from start to finish total time movie. Quake done the Quickest being a good comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiNDxssUL0 - just read the video description and you'll see that its indeed similar to what we are doing.

My perception of this was born mostly because there was such a big focus on the totaltime being below 35.00.00 before releasing the next movie. Also that as many new wrs on different levels as possible. If there was no new styles at all no one really cared, as long as that Enduro wr got beaten even by a little. Also the very name Elma Done Quick (or similar) just hints that this is a speedrun, because what we really want to do here is to show the very best times in each level.

If the movie was about, or partly about, how wrs have changed due to styles and development and all that crap you was talking about then thats an entirely different move alltogether imo. In such a movie there is no point in having the replays lined up like in all the EDQ movies with some techno-whatever music in the background. In other words: a movie that probably fits better into a category together with the Internal Memories one with a commentary voice-over talking about the differences and developments etc

What im trying to say is that i too would LOVE a movie where nostalgia can be triggered by seing top lists and all wrs.