Paprika

Everything about Moposite. Wishes for new sections / updates etc. Please tell all bugs, errors you've found. Help us.

Moderator: Moporators

Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Paprika

Post by Abula »

40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I'm stunned. It's finally there. :)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

hmm... cool to see something new. :D

but for now i think i'm gonna stick with the old one until NEW get's more userfriendly.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

What's there un-userfriendy?
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I like the fact that you can now browse through the very old versions of the site! That's what I always wanted to do! :D
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Great work Abula! (and others involving).
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

First off, great work! You guys have obviously spent a lot of time on this and it really shows. But there are a few issues:

- The distinction between "Information" and "Knowledge" seems a bit fuzzy. Why does "Help" go under Information and the FAQ under Knowledge, for instance? I don't really see why the distinction has to be made in the first place. I think you'd be better off merging them together and making "Playing", "Designing", "Tweaking" and so on sub-elements of a more general "Hints and tips" category. Maybe this is just me.

- The Site Navigator is buggy on mouseover both with Firefox 1.5 and Opera 8.5. In Firefox it's just the right and bottom border that changes in size, but in Opera the thing gets about twice as big when you hover over it. It looks like this part of the stylesheet:

Code: Select all

input, textarea {
        border: 1px solid #000
;}
should be changed to this:

input, select, textarea {
;}
About the size bug in Opera, it looks like a padding issue. Try specifying a padding for selects and see if that helps.

- This is a very minor issue, but the on-hover text underlining looks kind of ugly on the "Text version - Jump to menu - Hide columns - Site map - Panel" stuff above the logo. It would look better if there were a 1 pixel margin between the links and the logo so the underline doesn't sit right on top of the logo border.

- On the subject of text underlining, I've always found it a bit hard to see if something is a link just by looking at it on Moposite. Have you considered giving links a subtle color difference from the rest of the text? Maybe just a little bit brighter?

- Another minor issue: there's links all over the place that say "Go top", which is pretty awkward sounding. Change them to "Go to the top", or at least "Go to top" or something like that.

All right, that's enough for now. Once again, great work all around.
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

i can't even find the wr table page on paprika. Im sorry it looks cool and all cause it's new but i can't figure it out yet. ill have to spend more time on it i guess and quit going to old moposite.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Thanks magnus, I was hoping for a fix for that!

Memphis, you can't find the WR table on paprika yet, because the site isn't completely done.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Thanks for feedback.
MagnusB wrote:- The distinction between "Information" and "Knowledge" seems a bit fuzzy.
Maybe Elasto Mania and Action SuperCross info pages could go under Knowledge, then the distinction would be Moposite info and Elma knowledge...
MagnusB wrote:- The Site Navigator is buggy on mouseover both with Firefox 1.5 and Opera 8.5. In Firefox it's just the right and bottom border that changes in size, but in Opera the thing gets about twice as big when you hover over it. It looks like this part of the stylesheet:

input, textarea {
;}
should be changed to this:

input, select, textarea {
;}
About the size bug in Opera, it looks like a padding issue. Try specifying a padding for selects and see if that helps.
It wasn't really that. Had to remove select's hover styles. At least it got fixed in Firefox, how about Opera?
MagnusB wrote:- This is a very minor issue, but the on-hover text underlining looks kind of ugly on the "Text version - Jump to menu - Hide columns - Site map - Panel" stuff above the logo. It would look better if there were a 1 pixel margin between the links and the logo so the underline doesn't sit right on top of the logo border.
There.
MagnusB wrote:- On the subject of text underlining, I've always found it a bit hard to see if something is a link just by looking at it on Moposite. Have you considered giving links a subtle color difference from the rest of the text? Maybe just a little bit brighter?
Well, all the links are underlined now. Except some special cases in Menu and those above the logo (and glossary items are dashed). But well, the color change might be a good idea.
MagnusB wrote:- Another minor issue: there's links all over the place that say "Go top", which is pretty awkward sounding. Change them to "Go to the top", or at least "Go to top" or something like that.
I don't really know, this phrase is argued quite much and other people like the longer version and the rest this short one. I think I keep it like this.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Great, the site nav hover bug is fixed also for opera.

I wonder, what's the button for next to it?
Revolt
Kuski

Post by Revolt »

Abula wrote:
MagnusB wrote:- Another minor issue: there's links all over the place that say "Go top", which is pretty awkward sounding. Change them to "Go to the top", or at least "Go to top" or something like that.
I don't really know, this phrase is argued quite much and other people like the longer version and the rest this short one. I think I keep it like this.
"Back to Top" or simply "Top" I think.
hi
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

One more thing I've noticed: the "Search" header in the menu lights up on hover even though it's not a link. Am I right in thinking it's going to be a link in the future? If that's the case, then all of those headers (Menu, Panel, Tools, etc.) are links to some other page, except Tools. Do you think maybe you could make some sort of Tools page for it to link to, just for the sake of consistency? I don't know; maybe I'm the only one who cares about stuff like this.
Abula wrote:Maybe Elasto Mania and Action SuperCross info pages could go under Knowledge, then the distinction would be Moposite info and Elma knowledge...
That's not a bad idea, but I still think everything that could be considered "information" should go under a single heading.
Abula wrote:I don't really know, this phrase is argued quite much and other people like the longer version and the rest this short one. I think I keep it like this.
All right, how about just "Top"? Or "Page top"? "Top of Page"? A button of some sort? Anything other than "Go top" is fine by me.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

tijsjoris wrote:I wonder, what's the button for next to it?
If JavaScript is disabled user can use that.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

MagnusB wrote:One more thing I've noticed: the "Search" header in the menu lights up on hover even though it's not a link. Am I right in thinking it's going to be a link in the future? If that's the case, then all of those headers (Menu, Panel, Tools, etc.) are links to some other page, except Tools. Do you think maybe you could make some sort of Tools page for it to link to, just for the sake of consistency? I don't know; maybe I'm the only one who cares about stuff like this.
It's nice someone is pointing out these. Yes, Search will be a link... Those headings are one of the problematic links. How to highlight them? But well, none of the links are critical since each of link are somewhere else too: Site map, Advanced search, Edit your profile etc.
MagnusB wrote:
Abula wrote:Maybe Elasto Mania and Action SuperCross info pages could go under Knowledge, then the distinction would be Moposite info and Elma knowledge...
That's not a bad idea, but I still think everything that could be considered "information" should go under a single heading.
Would be a huuuge main section...

We'll think the "Go top" phrase.
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

its really ugly =)
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Abula wrote:Would be a huuuge main section...
True, but it is a huge section. Here's a basic outline of what I'm thinking:

Information
  > Action Supercross
  > Elasto Mania
    > Internal levels
    > New versions
    > Order the game
    > Knowledge
      > Playing
      > Designing
      > ...
  > Moposite
    > History
    > Future
    > ...
    > Languages
    > Site map
  > Help
    > FAQ
    > Glossary
The main problem with this is that you'll get an awful lot of deeply nested sections, which might not work too well if the menu isn't wide enough to support them. If your goal is to reduce the amount of nested sections then your approach is probably the best, but I think mine is a bit more logical.
Napoleon wrote:its really ugly =)
Much like your face.
Maska
Kuski

Post by Maska »

plz, make "Forgot password"
Image || 45:36,07
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

It's "To top" now, ok?
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

ah my face is ugly, ah
i take that as a compliment
Crazy
The Höylä

Post by Crazy »

Napoleon wrote:ah my face is ugly, ah
i take that as a compliment
off topic - STFU mongo

on topic. I can't wait till this is complete. Such excited to see what paprika will bring me.. =)
ARTISTRY is in the eye of the Beholder -||- TT Höylä Mission: 10.48.43 -||- Best Times: Tutorial1 -||- höylä
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Abula wrote:It's "To top" now, ok?
Why not just "Top"?
Wezz
Kuski

Post by Wezz »

Lookin nice, looking forward to see more : )
Wezz 1-100 Levels - PTL pack - ADLP Pack - CR Pack - My Website - Team Website - Proud member of TEM - DONT WANT A ELMA 2!!! My internal TT: 45:xx:xx - Team TEM TT: 39:xx:xx Image
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

MagnusB:

I've been thinking the merging of Information and Knowledge and I'm interested. It's a bit problematic though, maybe you have more ideas.

The current idea:

Information
  > Action SuperCross
  > Elasto Mania
    > Knowledge
      > Playing
      > Designing
      > Tweaking
      > Creating
  > Moposite
    > History
    > Future
    > Visitors
    > Credits
    > Tech specs
    > Contacts
    > Help us
    > Languages
    > Site map
  > Help
    > FAQ
    > Glossary 
    > Hints and tips
Internal levels, Order the game and New versions don't belong anywhere... They can be set under Elasto Mania because those three are not depentend on versions.

To get it logical we could add a new category named Games and then it would be like this:

> Information
  > Games
    > Action SuperCross
    > Elasto Mania
      > Knowledge
        > Playing
        > Designing
        > Tweaking
        > Creating
    > New versions
    > Order the game
  > Moposite
    > History
    > Future
    > Visitors
    > Credits
    > Tech specs
    > Contacts
    > Help us
    > Languages
    > Site map
  > Help
    > FAQ
    > Glossary 
    > Hints and tips
But now the problem is that we have fifth level in menu structure. Four would be tolerated I think but fifth... Also who would find those pages at all?

Maybe we could add Knowledge directly under Information? Like:

> Information
  > Games
    > Action SuperCross
    > Elasto Mania
    > New versions
    > Order the game
  > Knowledge
    > Playing
    > Designing
    > Tweaking
    > Creating
  > Moposite
    > History
    > Future
    > Visitors
    > Credits
    > Tech specs
    > Contacts
    > Help us
    > Languages
    > Site map
  > Help
    > FAQ
    > Glossary 
    > Hints and tips
Playing, Designing, Creating are mainly Elasto Mania related, only Tweaking page has some Across stuff. And what happens when Elma2 comes?
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

ok... now that i'm getting used to the site... it's max :D
Just a bit annoying that i can't login. coz my register hasn't been accepted yet. :?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Abula wrote:MagnusB:

> Information
  > Games
    > Action SuperCross
    > Elasto Mania
    > New versions
    > Order the game
  > Knowledge
    > Playing
    > Designing
    > Tweaking
    > Creating
  > Moposite
    > History
    > Future
    > Visitors
    > Credits
    > Tech specs
    > Contacts
    > Help us
    > Languages
    > Site map
  > Help
    > FAQ
    > Glossary 
    > Hints and tips
Playing, Designing, Creating are mainly Elasto Mania related, only Tweaking page has some Across stuff. And what happens when Elma2 comes?
Well, I think if you want to keep the structure stable in the face of big changes (such as a new version), you'll pretty much have to do either:

> About Moposite
  > Blah blah

> Action SuperCross
  > Information
  > Records
  > Levels

> Elasto Mania
  > Information
    > Knowledge
      > Playing
      > Designing
      > ...
  > Records
  > Levels

> Elma 2
  > Information
  > Records
  > Levels
or the inverse:

> Information
  > Moposite
  > Action SuperCross
  > Elasto Mania
    > Knowledge
      > Playing
      > Designing
    > ...
  > Elma 2
    > Knowledge
      > Playing
      > Designing
    > ...

> Records
  > Action Supercross
  > Elasto Mania
  > Elma 2

> Levels
  > Action Supercross
  > Elasto Mania
  > Elma 2
You're going to have duplicate menu items no matter what.

But if you don't want to do either of those, your last suggestion looks pretty good to me.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Rather than just saying "Something is happening", would it be possible for anyone to briefly summarize just what the hell this Paprika crap actually is?? I don't see any explanation of what is going on :(
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

sierra wrote:Rather than just saying "Something is happening", would it be possible for anyone to briefly summarize just what the hell this Paprika crap actually is?? I don't see any explanation of what is going on :(
Seems like an upgraded version of Moposite.com
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I think, great work on design, but I'm gonna have to get used to "paprika".moposite.com/ oh well! :roll:
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A.K.B. wrote:I think, great work on design, but I'm gonna have to get used to "paprika".moposite.com/ oh well! :roll:
When it's all done the url will be moposite.com ofcourse.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I just can't wait for the moment where the two Moposites will merge... No more old and new, only one great Moposite.

For now, it's a little annoying to navigate through different sites to obtain different informations but, i am confident that the final result will be nice!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I'm aware of the bad things in current situation but I'm sure it's better this way. The other option would have been just continuing the site developing without revealing anything. Now users can affect to development and also they see that Moposite hasn't died.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Are you going to have an annoying flashing banner on the top of page permanently?

Btw, here is a good example of a similar small community and using advertisements to help the site. It's probably not to be compared at all with Moposite, but I thought I'd just throw it in anyway.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I don't know... We need to fund the server fees somehow and we are running out of money at the moment. Also GAA ja WCup prizes waiting... Actually I think we must skip GAA prizes this year.

Ads don't give much but at least something. I personally hate all kind of ads but money is still needed. In addition we need a better server very soon and that costs too.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Where did click clock cluck go? Can't you make a similiar thing where people just click some links/ads and moposite gets money? That banner sucks for sure.
39:37,91
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Abula wrote: Ads don't give much but at least something.
Have you done researching which ads give better results and which does not? I would belive that there are way more profitable ads than finnish car or barber themed ads?
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

when you enter www.moposite.com you get to choose old or Paprika.

It says:
Old Moposite
- Records (WRs, totals)
- Community (Kuski gallery)
- Contests (Kinglist, Lost internals)
- Downloads (Levels, replays, LGRs)
- Stuff (Pictures, Audio)
- Links

New Moposite
- News (Comments, Categories)
- Information (FAQ)
- Panel (Settings)

WRs are now on Paprika
Elasto Mania - ez better
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

are they?
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

8-ball wrote:Where did click clock cluck go? Can't you make a similiar thing where people just click some links/ads and moposite gets money? That banner sucks for sure.
It's not really activism that the advertisers like.
dz wrote:
Abula wrote: Ads don't give much but at least something.
Have you done researching which ads give better results and which does not? I would belive that there are way more profitable ads than finnish car or barber themed ads?
Well yea, changed some ads today. I also mailed the Helpdesk for SWE and ENG ads. It's not that easy that you can just pick up whatever you want.

ramone: WRs are not in Paprika but in Old. They are only mentioned in the News which locates in Paprika.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Aren't the darkest areas a bit TOO dark? The ones that contain the date on the news page i mean.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

zworqy wrote:Aren't the darkest areas a bit TOO dark? The ones that contain the date on the news page i mean.
Quite many people are reporting same. I agree the colors are dark but it also depends quite much on the monitor. Quality monitors with correct contrast and brightness settings would give nice output.

However I'm going to make a few other color schemas to select from.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

You can soon make your own color scheme, right?
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

tijsjoris wrote:You can soon make your own color scheme, right?
Well you can right away... but it needs some knowledge of CSS.

File that might help you (most likely it will depress you):
- http://paprika.moposite.com/css/classic/classic.php

So in practice you need to create a new CSS file. It's recommended to start from scratch, but it's not that easy job, skint0r gave up... Other option is that you take a screenshot of some Moposite page (like http://paprika.moposite.com/info_moposite_credits.php), change the colors in some image editing software and send the image to me.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Well, that looks like a rather large css file indeed =)

I see what I'll do.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Of course yours can be smaller, it doens't have to contain all ids and classes. Only a few, if you are aiming to some simple one.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Abula wrote:So in practice you need to create a new CSS file. It's recommended to start from scratch, but it's not that easy job
Why? Won't the stuff you don't define be "blank", or is it automatically replaced with defaults?

I have started on a css-file, but there is no preview mode... maybe i can just
save a moposite page to my hdd and test.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

No, they are not blank unless you define them by rule {display: none;}. Undefined classes are just unstyled. Try Text version link above the logo (or disable them in Settings), that's the site unstyled.

Firefox has a realtime CSS editor. But at least I find it easier to work locally, as zworqy suggested.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I was bored so I sat and pressed refresh on main paprika

then there came a screenshot of someting that looked as flat track (not sure) and the pic said: warm up.

and one thing is sure: that was NOT warm up. maybe should fix this "bug"

(to my previus post here... I noticed now that wrs are still in old moposite and only news about it in new.. that you get linked to old.. sorry for that)
Elasto Mania - ez better
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

OK, I've done some color modififying now but seriously wtf, what changes the background color of the headings with "notchar" in front of it, like "Menu" "Panel" etc.?

I have tried changing every color control but it jsut wont change. :( :( :(