Enigma Bounce

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

Enigma Bounce

Post by Luther »

This is my legit Enigma replay, and here you can comment whether or not it is a bug - why it is, and how it is. This is not the WR, but the 2nd best time in the world.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~teamice/mango/rep ... Luther.zip
Nekit for president
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

In my opinion it is not a bug
ap
Kuski

Post by ap »

Yes it is.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Can't decide
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i find it more buggy than stini's rec
[carebox]
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

It was pretty powerful BUT what I've experienced the alobounce (like that) can produce surprising behaviour. Actually it's pretty new area for me and I've played quite a bit recently with it. Especially in Bounce Back... let me try if I could find some sample:

Ok, I think this is a bit same: www.pulu.org/elma/28tcrick.rec

So, in my opinion: No, it's not bug bounce.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Monzterman
Kuski

Post by Monzterman »

This is what i said in #across

Stini's 19,16 :

[11:42] <LutherICE> Monzteman, id like your voice on lauta in teh topic then, about this :p
[11:46] <_p_> luther do you think stinis rec is bug?
[11:47] <_p_> i mean...if it is bug, is it same 'type' as yours or is it speed-enhancing? =)
[11:47] <Monzteman> YES!...from what i remember he gains more speed that normally possible
[11:48] <Monzteman> same shootout as luths
[11:48] <Monzteman> it just goes into the hill
[11:49] <_p_> wish he would publish rec (fully)
[11:49] <_p_> its not as if its secret-style lev
[11:50] <Monzteman> hes affraid that too many will complain about it
[11:50] <_p_> and speculation about legitimacy of rec is probably just as bad as actual criticism he would get.

Luthers 19,29 :

there is a wheel shootout no doubt, but im not sure it helps him.....i really wish milagros would develop that "Bounce - o - Meter" he has talked about in the past
0lp TT : 32,44,85 /\ vz TT : 17,44,85 /\ 2fast TT 17,25,96
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

At 17,85 the backwheel moves very fast downwards and back. That's a bug in my eyes. It's not much, but still.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

wiht bounce-meter there is one main problem: what to meassure
is it the pop of the wheel, some fucntion of pop and speed, some function of pop, speed and change of the speed (some acceleration or what) or what?
[carebox]
Honza
38mins club

Post by Honza »

looks like normal bug..
TT: 38:36,51 || team SPEED || Islands WR
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

I dont think it looks like a bug bounce, only a powerufl bounce..
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
Dynamo
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by Dynamo »

milagros wrote:wiht bounce-meter there is one main problem: what to meassure
is it the pop of the wheel, some fucntion of pop and speed, some function of pop, speed and change of the speed (some acceleration or what) or what?
Should be change of speed of before bounce and after bounce imo
Total Time: 38:35,14
Honza
38mins club

Post by Honza »

that quick wheel move at 17:84 - 17:88 looks typical for bug
TT: 38:36,51 || team SPEED || Islands WR
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

I think it's definitely a bugbounce.
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

This quick wheel move at 17:84 - 17:88 is a bug. But it isnt the type of bug which makes u fly up like mad. In 99,9% of cases this weird wheel move doesnt affect a bounce at all(ALMOST), so i'd say - NOT A BUG.
Although i dont like this bounce anyway, never possible for me to do it :)
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

i think it's definitely a bug bounce. how else could he get such a fast boost out of nowhere? simple bounces makes you jump with the appropriate speed at which you were going and this one does adds some extra speed you usually dont see in the ordinary bounces.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Nat bug.
milagros wrote: wiht bounce-meter there is one main problem: what to meassure
I guess it can be summarized to: "Is the wheel moving (rather) smoothly throughot the whole bounce?" There might be a problem with the "weird" movements of the wheel that happens sometime (like in this rec), or maybe that's just a drawing bug?
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Squip
Kuski

Post by Squip »

Bug bounce in my opinion
Image "The best trick the devil ever pulled was convicing the world that he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

Abula wrote:So, in my opinion: No, it's not bug bounce.

watch it slow, the wheel behaves abnormal like in any other know bug replay of any bounce, it jumps out of place..
Proud Member Of RDK
magicman
Kuski

Post by magicman »

The wheel looks buggy, but kinda normal bounce ?
Team: CF || wc4 pos. 6th || tt: under 42 duno || Metallica... ImageImage
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

if I could watch some others alobounce replays on this level, I could put a hypothesis in thesis more ezly :)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Luther do you make many bounces like this one or was this one rather lucky run. I mean if you bounce like this quite often it might not be a bug. I mean if it happens often, that is how the game is.

:)
Cloud
38mins club

Post by Cloud »

One of the weirdest bounces ever. Like Abula said an Alovolt can cause some very strange behaviour into bounces. I guess I would label this as a bug though.
(*_*) (*_*) (*_~) (~_~) ...zzzZZZzzZZ...
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

I pretty much agree with what kestas says. Fuck technicalities, fuck a bounce-meter, fuck slowing it down and analyzing how the wheel moves. Just watch the rec, the bounce really takes you by surprise and looks like a glitch.

However, two things must be considered. Firstly, Luther is an amazing player. It's possibly that I don't think this bounce was legitimate because I simply have never had the skill to do one similar. Just because a noob plays Enigma and does a sax bounce, doesn't mean that if a pro does a faster one he should be labelled 'omg bug xiit'. And secondly, Luther has an amazing Elma tune, 1000+ fps or something crazy. As anyone who has played Elma on different PCs before will know, tune makes a huge difference to the kinds of stunts you can do. I mean, I thought Uphill Battle brutalbounce was something that I just didn't understand, and could never do, but I made it almost first try when I tried on jaytea's computer. And my PR was driven on his comp, and I won't be able to beat it until I play on his comp again. So the point I'm trying to make is that maybe on Luther's computer, these kind of bounces can be done.

But it's still a very grey area and I'd like to know how "those in the know" reached their judgment.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I just find the wheel movement a lame argument in this discussion. That being said, I can't judge this bounce properly. To me it seems he gains speed after the bounce, but doesn't the bike slow down whilst compressing?
Dynamo
38mins club

Post by Dynamo »

It's a bug bounce and I'm sticking to it...there was greater speed coming out of the bounce than going in...it isn't a matter of if it looks buggy...it just is a bug...imho

The bug bounce is determined by the sudden movement in the screen...play it in slow-motion and you can see that the screen 'twitches irregularly' as the wheel has finished compressing...that is what determines a bug bounce for me
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

very nice run luther but ya i agree with dynamo that looks like a bug bounce. I watched in slow motion and the wheel gets crazy for a second and in my opinion that's a bug bounce.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

small pop, but nat typical bug bounce. but hard to decide if its legit or not...
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

petsen, Memphis and others just reread my previous post. This wheel pop doesnt affect a bounce in this case.
p.s. Sierra really nice explanation to everything, max agree with u.
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

stinis is kind of easier to judge because it in no way looks like an ordinary bounce. luthers does look like an ordinary "buggish" bounce because of the wheelpop. but it surely still is questionable. but in stinis bounce he doesn't even get pressure on the hill as far as i remember, he just suddenly gets skyrocketed.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

I always didnt get why Stini and others doesnt share their hoyla-recs with no new styles inside. Everybody knows the style they use and they still dont share. Hah this fakken noob doesnt share his rec just because he is scared that everybody will say "OBVIOUS BUG"??? It's even more cocky feeling to have such a wr then.

p.s. Lol if J-sim's words are true, then it is 100% bugbounce definetly.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

I've gave up trying to figure out the limits of bug bounce. It's fun for a while but after a while you realize it's just impossible to draw a line. I don't get it why there isn't any bug patches by author of the game. It would end this endless debate.
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

I mean, bounces are the result of mathematical operations, that happen on this type of programs (games) and that are perhaps not willed by the author. so I consider them a bug, consider me if I'm wrong.

and the line we are trying to draw is from legal to illegal, not acceptable ones.

you mean, bug patches, in the sense that the illegal bounces should be removed? I don't exactly know the physics of the bounce, but they were once explained (please do so), but, if Balazs would be able to remove illegal bounces from occuring, I think that milagros would be able to look "in" the replay to see if the thing happened, and decide if they are abnormal or not.... I mean, the whole line would be drawable direcly by programmers :?:
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i guess balazs made it as good as he was able to
i belive it can proven mathematically proven that equations are unstable so there is no 'continuous' way to get rid of it
[carebox]
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

but what happens, mathematically, when you bug-bounce?
Stini
39mins club
Team: ICE

Post by Stini »

I was asked to write here, but honestly I don't know what I should say.
I don't know if Luther's rec is a bug. I think I'm not the person to talk about legitimacy of bounces, if anyone is. All that I can say is that in my opinion my bounce is less buggy, but as seen in this thread, there are many opinions and no actual line between a bug and a normal bounce, so we really can do nothing but speculate. Well seriously I have nothing wise to say, BUT I made my notorious WR in Enigma 16 May 2004, so that means today is its birthday \o/. And guess what would a good way to celebrate it? Yes, that's right:

PLZ DON'T DLOAD

Enjoy.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Nice ride, bounce does look buggy though. Overall the rec looks perfect
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Imo that's a bug bounce :? .... buggier than i had imagined it to be.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

damez, secret revealed
[carebox]
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

thx for sharing Stini, quite max, but..... BUG
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

im on the BUG side too... sorry but the wheel makes that known move back and forth and then so much more speed than when compressing..

:/
Proud Member Of RDK
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

so remove stini's wr from the list, then put luther's time there.
and at the exact same date, in two years, we be back there in this discussion and then remove luther's one and but back the 3rd best instead :wink:

neat ride, but unless we find an intelligent enough solution, all we can do is speculate... right?
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

Luther's bounce is actually more powerful, Luther does alobounce, Stini does right volt-bounce.
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

for me the Wheel Movement doesn't mean anything... as long as the bike doesn't get extra much speed...

But this is a BUG
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

7 posts saying that bounce was a bug, and i cant really decide, the bounce looks to powerful compared to how little compression he got, i think it is exactly one the line to a bugbounce, what abuot we define that as a limit of bugbounces? :D
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
Crazy
The Höylä

Post by Crazy »

Of course it's a bug.. Still a nice ride of course, wasn't first time he made good in the other parts ;O
I've seen some luther replays with faster starts.. Best rec without buggy bounce (that I've seen) is Tor's, imo
ARTISTRY is in the eye of the Beholder -||- TT Höylä Mission: 10.48.43 -||- Best Times: Tutorial1 -||- höylä
Dynamo
38mins club

Post by Dynamo »

Nice rec...buggy tho =(
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, it's a bugbounce. But no sense in removing wr's 2 years after.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Definately the most on-the-vrige-of-bug rec i have ever seen. I can't say if it's bug or not :?
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

Crazy wrote:Of course it's a bug.. Still a nice ride of course, wasn't first time he made good in the other parts ;O
I've seen some luther replays with faster starts.. Best rec without buggy bounce (that I've seen) is Tor's, imo
Funny you mention Tor's as his bounce has same power as Stini's...
Stini just bounces at lower point in hill by pressing right volt...
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.