rec2swf

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Domovoy
Kuski

rec2swf

Post by Domovoy »

hi.
Dunno why i decided to show you this project, it's very far from completion. Maybe i'm tired to keep it in myself for almost 2 years.
The very first version was done in october, 2004. Actually there was only a level sliding on traectory from rec.
The next version was completed in december, 2004. There was a level (w/o objects), bike (without susps), wheels, head, body and timer. Also that time i didn't have a nice working algorithm for proper polygon filling so level looked like in internal editor =).
The big problem was swf generation itself. It was very easy to create algorithm (there is official swf file reference so i've got file structure and concept rather fast), but it was too hard to implement it in program, so every change in generating block was very painful and i prefered to think twice before doing smth.
That's why after that version i spent 1.5 years trying to deduce fine algorithm of arms/legs movement.

And finally couple days ago i found some good libraries and rewrote generating block from almost assembler =) to normal high-level language. Also i added polygon filling, objects, removed timer and replaced all graphics with simple vector forms.

So. Here are the samples of rec2swfed recs:
http://id.hoyler.net/pit01lut.swf
http://id.hoyler.net/elp10em.swf
From you i want to hear if i should continue work on the project, and what features i should and shouldn't implement.

Note, these swf are not optimized at all, and Flash graphics depends only on processor, not on video-card. So it could work very slow on some processors. For example on my P4 2.2 both movies in fullscreen work twice slower. Dunno, maybe that's because last winter i occasionally splashed tea on motherboard. :lol:
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I don't know how the hell you did that but, damn it looks sweet!

I don't think it would be a good idea to make the graphics more complex ( adding body, arms, grass, etc... ), the actual graphics looks nice. Would be nice if you'd stabilize the speed of the animation (on my computer, it seemed like a 3/5 of normal speed, some kinda sweet slow-motion ).

As it's a flash animation, i don't really know what you could add to make it better. I thought Flash was limited! You obviously proved me wrong!

PS : I'm sure you don't want to show me your code, or how you did that whole "using a replay file infos to make a flash animation" thing but, i would love you to explain me how the hell you did that!

Very nice project, you should definitly continue working on that...
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Fucking nice! All it needs is some colors :D

It should be easier to tell the difference between apples and flowers.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Memfis
Kuski

Post by Memfis »

Oh, coal!And so little size!
=kuchitsu
wwwDotcoM
Kuski

Post by wwwDotcoM »

sweet, very sweet

you should definetely continue developing it

3/5 of speed as boneless said, and don't listen to zworqy (no colors needed)
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

don't think it would be a good idea to make the graphics more complex ( adding body, arms, grass, etc... ), the actual graphics looks nice.
ye, i like how it looks now but
1. There should be smth to indicate rotations in swf. Arms are most natural for this.
2. In the beginning (when there was no constfps =)) i planned to release the program as movie-creator. You now, import the swf into Macromedia Flash editor, change whatever you want and then export avi. And for this there should be the whole bunch of elma graphics.
Would be nice if you'd stabilize the speed of the animation (on my computer, it seemed like a 3/5 of normal speed, some kinda sweet slow-motion ).
If you play the movie in Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash Player (don't now about other players), fps depend only on your processor perfomance, and cannot exceed the maxfps value (30 in rec2swf). Of course i will try to do smth (maybe splitting big polygons, cutting non-visible objects and so on) but sure the problem would remain on slow computers. :(
Also i can decrease the maxfps to 15, but it would look ugly then (wheels will rotate strangely, objects will be collected not when they should be, and other bugs tied with low fps).
I thought Flash was limited! You obviously proved me wrong!
2 years ago i thought Flash is unlimited. Now i think i was wrong =)).
I'm sure you don't want to show me your code, or how you did that whole "using a replay file infos to make a flash animation" thing
sorry
but, i would love you to explain me how the hell you did that!
we have replay, we have some knowledge and some guesses about elma, so we just place some objects on proper (or maybe wrong, i've just found head is in wrong position) positions (kinda screenshot) and then flash player makes it move.
It should be easier to tell the difference between apples and flowers.
sure =)
so little size!
These swf are post-edited in Macromedia Flash to add the text and compress them. Actually, both movies are twice bigger (libraries i use don't support the compression). But it's very easy to write it.
no colors needed
maybe some opaque light colors to distinguish apples and killers, i'll work on it.
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

Pretty leet! looks awesome! Is there a way to convert that to a video file? would rox ;)
belele
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

I've made that objects clipping but can't notice any difference in animation speed =).
But movie now weights 40kb instead of 120 and i think it's good. On the other hand there's nothing to improve in size anymore, so all swfs will be approx. 1,5 times bigger than source rec. Not so bad if remember that swf also includes lev and "maxsimpel" lgr.

Next i plan to implement polygons splitting. In the moment object "level" is the most complex and most big in the whole swf so the most part of frame drawing time is level drawing time. I'll try to divide it in smaller parts. But two problems raises:
1. It's not so easy to do as objects were o_O.
2. swf size depends most on number of objects in a frame, so if i split one big polygon into four small, swf size becomes approx. twice bigger. That's bad but i hope this will help to stabilize animation speed. =)

http://id.hoyler.net/pit01lut_new.swf
Is there a way to convert that to a video file?
import the swf into Macromedia Flash editor, change whatever you want and then export avi
but i don't know what are you planning to convert, because there's no public version yet. =)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

omg this is nice... i love those graphics :D looks a bit weird objects aren't there the whole time (objects clipping or what u call it).

else awesome work... and u deffinetly should continue working with this.. don't know what u could improve but ez work more with teh :D :wink:
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

looks a bit weird objects aren't there the whole time
if you look movie in window mode with "Show all" scale (both labels are exactly in the corners of the window) there should be no problem of objects that suddenly appear =)
kinghias
Kuski

Post by kinghias »

this thingie is amazing :O
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

One more movie, just to show killers =)
http://id.hoyler.net/39stini.swf
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

how long time does it take to generate a movie?
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

Code: Select all

>Converting elp10em.rec & elvenp10.lev into elp10em.swf
>Files have been converted in 0.774929046631 seconds. Press any key to finish

>Converting pit01lut.rec & pit01.lev into pit01lut.swf
>Files have been converted in 2.46329307556 seconds. Press any key to finish

>Converting 39stini.rec & qwquu039.lev into 39stini.swf
>Files have been converted in 4.89240980148 seconds. Press any key to finish
Obviously, generating time depends on replay length and objects number.
Here's a huge level with 52 objects and 5 mins replay on it:

>Converting rchlp01D.rec & ruschain.lev into 2.swf
>Files have been converted in 70.9307920933 seconds. Press any key to finish
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

omg that's very fast :D Nice
goofu
Kuski

Post by goofu »

Lmao!
cant belive how u done that
Fucking nice

and btw nice ride by luther ;)
TT: 45:43:64
Memfis
Kuski

Post by Memfis »

cool speed and cool killers and nice recs :)
=kuchitsu
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

impressive work domovoi :o
very nice, really! cant wait for the final release of that converter and try it out with the sick recs of my levs hehe
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

This adds yet another dimension to elma! :)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
goofu
Kuski

Post by goofu »

here is a way to make ur fps higher so it doesnt lag so much on fucked computers

simply
right-click on the movie with ur mouse and then choose
Quality ---> Low

this should help a little
at least it helped me :)
TT: 45:43:64
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

Fixed head position, added volts indication.

http://www.elmaclub.com/download/?code= ... d4ca7c88f9
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

oh nice :D
though a bit weird seing those arrows all the time..
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

ye, i'm not fully satisfied too.
so any ideas are welcome =)
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Domovoy wrote:Fixed head position, added volts indication.

http://www.elmaclub.com/download/?code= ... d4ca7c88f9
Max najs!

It would be cool if you could add a timer too 8)
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Just the idea is cool enough, I really don't understand how you were able to program it, but it's very nice. Looking forward to public version. :)
kinghias
Kuski

Post by kinghias »

in my opinion the arrow-system is brilliant (double arrow for alo <3 <3)

replay control buttons (like on a media player: play, pause, forward, backward) would be great but not too easy to program i assume :p

and yes, timer would be nice too...
RiNSpy
Kuski

Post by RiNSpy »

Excellent work Domovoy, looks like you have put a lot of effort in it.

I think, that to get rid of those arrows next to the head that can get a bit annoying, you could get rid of them, but place the images of some of the keyboard buttons (arrows, space, and alovolt), which would be "pressed" when the appropriate action is taking place in the replay.. Or, you could make those arrows next to the head optional.

Looks like it's going to be a great tool when learning/copying various styles!
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

It would be cool if you could add a timer too
and yes, timer would be nice too...
timer is very easy to make but for "engine" testing i think swf size is more critical than timer. sure i will add it in public version.
replay control buttons (like on a media player: play, pause, forward, backward) would be great but not too easy to program i assume :p
it's rather easy to make such controls in ActionScript (Flash built-in scripting language) but i don't know how to work with it in my libraries. i'll try to. =)
place the images of some of the keyboard buttons (arrows, space, and alovolt), which would be "pressed" when the appropriate action is taking place in the replay..
yes, i thought about it (and it's much easier to do btw), but the problem is that your look will continually jump from bike to keys, from keys to bike... Such stress =). Anyway i'll try to do it.
Or, you could make those arrows next to the head optional.
sure in public version will be the ability to customize the movie compiling.
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

Improved algorithm a bit.
Now big movies are generating ~3 times faster.
Small movies are generating ~0.3sec faster.
Dunno though where's the border between big and small. =)
The main speed-problems are polygons filling, objects placement and swf output. Still a lot to work on :oops:.
kinghias
Kuski

Post by kinghias »

Domovoy wrote:
it's rather easy to make such controls in ActionScript (Flash built-in scripting language) but i don't know how to work with it in my libraries. i'll try to. =)
nice :O
dorTrus
Kuski

Post by dorTrus »

Really nice shit, Domy. I could easily agree with A.K.B., that "This adds yet another dimension to elma!"
Nice simple graphics, i guess the lev very quickly. And i feel the lack of teh timer.
Watching this swf - may be good guidebook for young hoylaz, coz they can teach every rotate and brake pressing.
So, good luck to your great project! :idea:
Mary-Jane Racers
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
TT 47:5x:xx / OLP TT 29:0x:xx
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Yes, great project. I was it a year ago or something first time (brag) but haven't heard much since. Once it's ready would be mega nice to implement it to new Moposite replays section (whenever it will be ready). Creating flash replays when you don't have Elma nearby.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

Sure we'll discuss it. ^__^
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

nice
impsy to use pcx's from LGR?
if you need some help with recognizing position/angles of those PCX from the rec file..
I wanted to do something like that but abu told me you're already doing it
i thought you're already using those PCXs
but looks max:)
[carebox]
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

I wanted to do something like that but abu told me you're already doing it
oh shit, i must hurry =))
if you need some help with recognizing position/angles of those PCX from the rec file..
thanks, but definitely at first i want to try to do it myself.

If we use graphics from elma, swf will be at least twice bigger (depends on number of graphic objects in one frame). Add to this the size of graphics itself and we'll receive a quite big file. But rec2swf is most useful for online replay viewing so the output file should be as small as possible. That's why i decided not to implement graphic version yet.
Anyway i'm planning to make it. :]
But only after online.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i decided not to do it cause you're doing it, it was maybe year ago when i was thinking about doing it
ok, you can do whatever you want 8)
[carebox]
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

sach hard to understand 8)
thx anyway :lol:
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Domovoy, either:

- You like Elma far too much, or
- You have a lot of spare time

because, quite simply, to put that much effort and dedication (2 years??!?) into something that isn't going to make you money, is pretty crazy.

You have talents. You have the right attitude. Go out and become a millionaire ffs.
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Re: rec2swf

Post by Mawane »

i wanna see! plz reup this too :D
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]